scalp, new growth, hair = diff. products

ms_kenesha

Okay, I have come across a revelation that may not be so new to some, but it was an epiphany to me.

Here was my problem: MONSTER BREAKAGE!!! It is starting to be more prevalent, but I'm in my 4th week of relaxer yet having a good amount of new growth that is a def. diff. texture than my relaxed hair so how do I soften the new growth?

Well, I had been using a mix of jojoba/castor/rosemary oil on my scalp , but that's just been good for moisturizing my scalp and promoting growth. I've been using a variation of Sweetcocoa's pomade, but that's been great for the length of my hair, but what to give to my dry new growth....CARROT OIL!!!

Yes, so I have three different "finishing" products on my hair and guess what minimal breakage on comb-out, shiny hair, and a healthy growing scalp!!! I am so happy!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I had to share this "new" idea with my hairfriends. I hope someone else can benefit from this esp. my 4A/B girls who may have a problem with the two textures when it gets close to touch-up time.

HTH

Hi Ms Kenesha,

That's great! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm glad to hear you've found something to help you out with your new growth. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Im on week 4 too and to soften my new growth, i have been using coconut oil as a pre shampoo hot oil treatment. This oil is good for SOFTENING new growth.

The carrot oil(the one i use is hollywood beauty) i use on my lenght, i will try on my growth next time i wash.

Ms K

That's great to hear thanks for sharing.

Which brand of Carrot Oil are you using. I use Castor and Rosemary oil on my hairline and the nape area and it is soooo soft there. I guess I'll have to try that around touch up time to see if it makes a huge difference.

Congrats Ms. Kenesha. That is great. I've noticed a trend recently here on this board. Many are complaining that they are having a hard time maintaining new growth at 4 and 5 weeks. This is an indication to me that you all have got some serious growth going on. Do you find that this has always been the norm for you or is this a new thing since taking vitamins and such? The reason I ask is because, while I have new growth at this time, it doesn't become hard to manage until about week 8 for me. TIA

Armyqt,

Yes, I think this new growth is a direct result of the vitamins I've been taking & the jojoba/rosemary/castor oil.

Wow, that is amazing. Here's to defying the odds and dispelling black hair myths. /images/graemlins/cheers.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also noticed that this "problem" /images/graemlins/grin.gif was becoming more prevalent and was thinking - hey this is a good sign...! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just wanted to remind folks that the best way to ensure that the least amount of breakage occurs is to minimize styling as much as possible. I just do a wet bun with some leave in, and some taming cream and tie my edges from about 6 weeks on. By about mid morning the bun portion is about half dry and when I pull it down it dries into cute curls at the back. Otherwise I just leave it in the bun.

I do all my detangling in the shower while my hair is wet and has conditioner on it. I apply a leave in right away when I step out of the shower and detangle one more time with a wide tooth comb.

This is also the time that I can slather my hair with moisture and give it extra special care. It's not my cutest look, but it gets a lot of TLC and the lack of my attempts to style mean that my hair BENEFITS from the end of the as opposed to suffering until it's touch up time.

But I'm glad the carrot oil is working for you Kenesha.....

Isn't it nice when you get a breakthru like this...
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'll try this Tracy. After my 6 wks my hair is hard to manage. Here I am trying to style it when I should just leave it alone and give it more TLC.

Thanks

Back