Relaxed ladies who stretch: Do you comb your new growth?

I do, but not often; only when I wash and DC, about once a week. Towards the end of my stretch (I've worked my way up to about 12 weeks at a time), it takes a long time because I work in small sections, pre-softening my roots with a moisturizer I have found to be very effective, then carefully detangling the section starting from the ends and working my way up to the roots, moving my grip up the strands to reduce tension. It's a pain, but it helps save my hair from a lot of breakage

Yes I do. I can't not comb my hair. Even if I hv to spray the roots with something to soften it up so I can get a wide toothed comb thru it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

Did today for the first time and it was perfect...I used my wide tooth rake comb and only put it through my new growth and when I was done air drying and finger combing all was detangled:yep:

I'm getting a professional TU on Friday and my NG is heavily packed down. My hair haven't seen water since last Wednesday which was 6 days ago, I feel I need to loosen it up a bit before my stylist get to it but I am seriously scared of breakage. Is it necessary to wash/cw within the week of relaxer? I'm thinking of spraying rose water and glycerin on it to soften it and leave it alone but you ladies make me want to cw out of necessity. I have fine 4b hair and it tangles badly only in the back areas. I know if I leave it like this, i'll have to hurt my stylist because she uses a rat tail comb to part thru my ng.

try the rose water first. if that doesnt work, then just jump in the shower tonight and cowash.

Thanks! I tried the rose water and glycerin and it worked very well but now it's just very dry but not packed down as much. I kept it braided in four plats which is how it will remain until my TU on Friday. I can work from home so i'm good there, just have to wear a cap when I go outdoors. At least its detangled and separated already. I lost lots of shedded hair so i'm glad I did detangle and got rid of those or else I would have been a tangled mess.

I'm getting a professional TU on Friday and my NG is heavily packed down. My hair haven't seen water since last Wednesday which was 6 days ago, I feel I need to loosen it up a bit before my stylist get to it but I am seriously scared of breakage. Is it necessary to wash/cw within the week of relaxer? I'm thinking of spraying rose water and glycerin on it to soften it and leave it alone but you ladies make me want to cw out of necessity. I have fine 4b hair and it tangles badly only in the back areas. I know if I leave it like this, i'll have to hurt my stylist because she uses a rat tail comb to part thru my ng.
KiWiStyle, I flat iron my ng about a week before TU. I do one quick pass per section. I'm not looking to make it bone straight, just knock out some of the thickness. Makes a big difference on how well my TUs go. Just food for thought when prepping for your next TU.

sunnieb, did you get the #222, it's well worth it and I have Nix08 to thank for introducing me to it. Fantastic! Check out my blog. I did a comb review on my seamless combs.

My stylist used Paul Mitchell the Detangler on my hair and it detangled my hair nicely. I had some of this in my stash but I cannot find it for nothing. I will be picking the GVP version up from Sally's on my next visit.

I used to stretch between 3-6 months at various points of being relaxed. I used to comb the regrowth, but my line of demarcation wasn't a big deal. I just moisturized, and used my denman as normal. Otherwise I'd have hell after those 6 month stretches!

KiWiStyle, I flat iron my ng about a week before TU. I do one quick pass per section. I'm not looking to make it bone straight, just knock out some of the thickness. Makes a big difference on how well my TUs go. Just food for thought when prepping for your next TU.

Thanks! All I need is a flat iron, LOL. I was thinking of buying the FHI Platform 1" tourmaline. What kind do you have?

Nope, doing so has caused me set back after setback. I used to rake through my hair fearing that it would mat up if I didn't comb it out everyday. Never again. :nono:

I rarely use combs since I just put my hair in a bun 90% of the time.

KiWiStyle, babyliss pro with titanium plates.

divachyk,
Thanks again for your endorsement of the Babyliss Pro. Yesterday while dh and I were browsing through Nordstroms Rack, I spotted a beautiful Babyliss
Pro with Nano Titanium! I got it for $60.00 :yay::yay:! I will rarely use it but i'm excited to find such a great deal on a great product. I also had it sitting in my Amazon wish list, I even beat their price of $89 AND I got the handsome bonus case!

@divachyk,
Thanks again for your endorsement of the Babyliss Pro. Yesterday while dh and I were browsing through Nordstroms Rack, I spotted a beautiful Babyliss
Pro with Nano Titanium! I got it for $60.00 :yay::yay:! I will rarely use it but i'm excited to find such a great deal on a great product. I also had it sitting in my Amazon wish list, I even beat their price of $89 AND I got the handsome bonus case!

KiWiStyle, I purchased the flat iron without understanding it's worth. I always liked how my hair turned out when I had it flat ironed at the salon so I asked what iron she used and I purchased one just like it. I purchased mine back when it was well over $100 so you made out! I use the lowest setting possible when I flat iron. Is your lowest 300?

KiWiStyle, I purchased the flat iron without understanding it's worth. I always liked how my hair turned out when I had it flat ironed at the salon so I asked what iron she used and I purchased one just like it. I purchased mine back when it was well over $100 so you made out! I use the lowest setting possible when I flat iron. Is your lowest 300?

divachyk,
My lowest setting is 240 for fragile, very fine hair. The max is 450.

divachyk, Thanks again for your endorsement of the Babyliss Pro. Yesterday while dh and I were browsing through Nordstroms Rack, I spotted a beautiful Babyliss Pro with Nano Titanium! I got it for $60.00 :yay::yay:! I will rarely use it but i'm excited to find such a great deal on a great product. I also had it sitting in my Amazon wish list, I even beat their price of $89 AND I got the handsome bonus case!
That is exactly the flat iron I have, although I paid almost $100 for it more than a year ago...bought it from the JCP salon after a ton of research...they said they would gladly buy it back any time. It's a keeper. I also bought a mini Babyliss for my edges and used it a couple of times until I discovered ORS Edge control. 60 bucks is a great buy!

I either wet my new growth with my distilled water, conditioner, and oil mix the day before and detangle with a wide tooth comb the day before and section into four sections or I do it like three hours before so it won't be wet. I also do the day of by moisturize my new growth and seal the previously relaxed hair with Vaseline . Detangling before makes relaxing easier and it will take faster because it's not matted. I have relaxed without detangling and it made the applying process longer which had me rushing in the end. I was trying to detangle as I go but was trying to be careful not to aggravate the scalp

I just stretched to 8 weeks, which I know doesn't seem like much, but I used to go every 4 weeks due to the thickness of my new growth. The last week or so I really couldn't come through the NG unless I was in the shower after just rinsing out conditioner. Other than that it was too thick. But stretch till you feel comfortable. Don't stretch till the year 2020 if you don't like how your hair feels or looks while stretching. There is a lot of different techniques you can learn and such to make it easier to some degree. But do you! Haha... I think 8 weeks was a big accomplishment for me. I just got it relaxed today. One good thing about stretching is after the relaxer the new length of your hair can be more dramatic as opposed to getting more relaxers and it growing little by little. My cat even looked at me a little funny... Like she was confused.

:band:

Tbis thread is very old!! But I am so glad I found this I am new to this forum and new to hair stretching , hair health in general (yeah, I know I'm very late!!! ) and I can relate to your new growth issues. I am at 8 weeks where I would usually relax at 6 weeks & Holy Smokes!! My kitchen is a COMPLETE THICK jungle and the back of my head is definitely on its way! I'm not sure if I can go much longer with this stretching process! I have been using JBCO & Wild Growth which has done a nice job of preventing matting & tangling I may co-wash today with my newly purchased Eden BodyWorks products and air dry. Wish me luck!!

Back