Salon visit, new directions a mini rant ... warning LONG!!

fairyhairy

So an update for anyone whose interested...

I have seriously thirsty locks with serious splits so do bear that in mind lol

Had my salon visit today with good results on the whole:

Started off last night by doing an over night deep condition with AOSHR and coconut oil, then got up early to do a steam treatment before I left with what was already in my hair - lol didn't want to take any chances

At the salon I had it washed with Redken Smooth shampoo then a treatment with the same line of conditioner mixed with Pureology Hydrate conditioner left in without heat, so I guess my hair felt ok but I don't think I have ever experienced real moisture before

The stylist did a great job of detangling my hair gently with a wide tooth comb ( i forgot to bring mine:blush:) She was very easy to talk to and we discussed what I wanted before we got to work.

On rinsing out the treatment she sectioned my hair and proceeded to detangle a small section with a smaller comb ( not a fine tooth one!) holding the hair gently but taught starting at the bottom working her way through it before blow drying with a round brush then flat ironing with GHD's.

She used Redken Real Control Slim Supreme and Clear Moisture Instant Polishing Prep leave-in cutting and detangling lotion Instant Polishing Prep leave-in cutting and detangling lotion.

Working at this pace with very small sections my hair felt super soft and smooth but still a bit poofy even after many many passes which I attribute to my lack of moisture and also maybe the use of a round brush which may have cause a bit to much volume - though I think anyone's whose hair is in better condition than mine would have had excellent results

(if you go to 4.00 of this video this is the technique that was used http://youtu.be/cvkFwAef5wM)

After the blowdrying was done I got a trim of about an inch I did intially want more but the stylist suggested just removing the see through ends. I then had a shape cut in and some bulked thinned which helped how my hair fell.

it took 4 hours to fully do my hair which I about the time I seem to always spend in salons no matter where I go:ohwell:

The overall service was excellent, it was a modern young salon that catered for all types in central London,

So all in all a 6.5 out of 10

why not full marks? Mainly for things that I consider to be my fault or joint responsibility :lol:

ok - I wish I had asked for the denman blowdry method instead as seen here
http://youtu.be/HF4CAScYsHo which I think would have resulted in a sleeker finish. Next time I will remember to take mine:wallbash:

Also I think my hair wasn't damp enough when blow drying though she did rewet it with the Redken clear moisture product it my hair just drank it up

The first set of flat irons my hair laughed at so we switched to the GHDs but I think I again one of the things the Uk is seriously lacking is quality products that you can find in the US such as good flat irons this goes for all hair products too. I know everyone says technique but thats what I think.

I also think we could have done thinner sections even though we were working on 1 inch sections they were a bit thick thus not getting to the root and I did mention this a couple of times :nono:

Though she did trim so my ends were better I still can see ssk but they go so far up my hair shaft it would literally be another big chop which when it comes down to it I am not really ready to do so will go for another trim at the end of this month

once the styling was finished she sprayed some PINK lotion gloss stuff was not happy about that!!:nono::nono: which I had her immediately blow dry out (on a cool setting) because i didn't want any weight

However because I felt it was the end result was too big for my liking as in it looked like I only had a very good blow dry and not a flat ironed finish. I decided to go to a black salon to finish with a press, lol the stark contrast in service is unbelievable but I knew what I wanted so was in and out within 40 mins, I let this stylist press my hair and asked her not to use any product

** disclaimer** I never ever use this amount of heat in my hair and when I attempt a blowout at home tend to give up before doing any serious damage as I know how long it will take me **

So to conclude my short/long story with my healthier ends I am looking at investing in some high end products that will really improve the condition of my hair.

At the moment I am looking at bumble & bumble and maybe Aveda as I both lines made my hair feel really good when i tried it I will also be sticking to one product line.

Both stylist mention how dry my hair is even though I am really trying my hair stays dry no matter what :sad:

I am cutting down my washing to every two weeks using my steamer for deep treatments and I am looking for a style that will last this long (and can be baggied at night) in hope that this will eliminate the manipulation I do to my hair and help produce more natural oils to balance my scalp and hair

I am considering lightly blow drying my hair after a wash to help with ssks if I do again I will invest in high quality equipment

I will trim every three months to keep the ends healthy whilst tackling the ssks after the end of this month.

And for the finale.....

My rant on why the hell are we so behind in terms of quality products/ equipment for black hair over here in the UK,

Why I feel a little bit like crying (:lol: mostly PMT) when watching some youtube videos of ladies who had their hair cut at the same time as mine and seeing the leaps and bounds they have taken,

knowing how well my American sisters can take care of their hair, well not just hair, but how well turned out you ladies in are general makes me feel like well like this
wet-cat.jpg

Why can't I be adept at taking care of my hair why can't it be super moisturised arghhhhh

So help a girl out tell me what you think of the finished results good or bad what you think can be done better I and what you think of my observations any recommendations or should I shave it all off and join a monastery :spinning::spinning:

thanks for reading :yep::yep::yep:

Attachments

• SL381066.jpg
    SL381066.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 135
  • SL381069.jpg
    SL381069.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I dont think there is a lack of quality products in the UK, but there is a lack of quality products marketed towards black hair.
I've used a GHD in the salon with super sleek results.
I actually like how your hair turned out, its straight but thick.
Which salon did you go to?
Also i dont understand why after using Redken, she would add Pink oil as a finishing product...

more Qs

a new hair care routine, this is what I have gathered so far following for wash days

my questions are below each step

Step 1 : Pre-poo with Coconut Oil

Step 2 : Cleanse with a moisturizing shampoo
question 1: top 5 ingredients to look for in a moisturizing shampoo and in what order

Step 3 : Condition with a conditioning conditioner ( like what i did there! )
question 2: top 10 ingredients to look for in a conditioning conditioner and in what order

Step 4 : Apply a leave in with water humectants protein
question 1: top 5 ingredients to look for in a leave in and in what order

Step 5 : Seal with a coating oil
Follow steps on a fortnightly basis

This is the part of the same response:

I had the same prob as you for years- until recently, and buying more conditioners didn't help b/c most work the same. the 1st thing that helped me was OIL RINSES (i use castor oil). They help the conditioners you already have to take better in your hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965 Its only an extra 2minutes to your was routine, so no in and out of the shower/water.

Second, it sounds like you have porous hair that just sucks moisture out, and its hard to hold and maintain moisture. You need to balance your moisture & protein in order to get your porosity (i.e. dryness) in control. Aubrey Organics GPB (AO GPB) conditioner is a great moisture/protein balancing deep conditioner. I use it w/every wash now and it has done wonders for retaining moisture. You should notice the difference w/these 2products immediately. You also may do better, like my hair, w/more organic products that arent watered down like most conditioners. The 1st ingredient is not water, so its a thick n rich conditioner w/o cheap fillers. 1st ingredient is coconut fatty acid---> and more penetrating ingredients follow. I tried the aveda conditioner and it was so expensive, yet watered down. My hair laughed at it!

Third, when you wash, you should do a pre-poo treatment to make sure the shampoo does not dry your hair out. Poos are very harsh on the hair and designed to strip. Here's a thread on an awesome "moisture drenched" pre-poo I use w/every wash. I actually started just washing my scalp only (recently) w/diluted shampoo in a color applicator bottle- but still use this pre-poo b/c i love it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482&page=3 . So you should consider this pre-poo treatment or shampooing w/diluted shampoo in a color applicator bottle, or both! Its better than using coconut oil alone, w/wetting the aloe vera the coconut oil will penetrate more readily (to protect the hair from inside out)

I don't really like shampoo so i can't recommend any ingredients except to say DILUTE your shampoo; or avoid sulfates so they are less stripping. If you try a routine like this, you will not need to remoisturize for several days to a week b/c the routine is ultra moisturizing. This is somewhat new to me, and thus, I have not located a staple leave-in yet-- and since I get wet moisture, the need isn't as urgent. I still trying to pin point the best thing for me and haven't found it yet. Lately, Ive tried Kimmaytubes leave-in (modified- w/sheabutter/cholesterl or trader joes conditioners), and taliah waajid bodifier mist/or curl cream all sealed w/castor oil.

I find that when a stylist blow dries my hair my hair doesn't come out as sleek or "silky"
I realized that I can't just blow dry my hair, I need to rollerset first and then flatiron it.

virtuenow

thanks for the advice very much apreciated, you only mention AO GBP what was the second product?
I always dilute my shampoo and use a sulfate and parben free one by faith in nature

I do think you are right about the porosity issue, and will look into addressing that

as well as adding aloe to my pre-poo :yep:

libertysince05
hey I did say products for black hair sorry if you misunderstood

The second "product" was the castor oil rinses. I thought that could be confused but its at the very top of my "product" arsenal!

fairyhairy i didnt misunderstand, i simply think that there is no such thing as products strictly for black hair...
you see on this board how popular products like Joico, Aubrey Organics and etc are, yet these are not maketed as black products

Back