Sally's (Silk Elements) version of Mixed Chicks

I ended up taken it back to Sallys. I really wished it would have worked better. I purchased some Cantu which seems to work alot better for me. I kept the Mixed Silk DC because I like how it works. I probably will not repurchase when I'm done.

Last edited:
Am I the only person that this product is working for? Lazy me, posted a picture in my avatar of my Mixed Silk hair. Wish I could make it a little larger here, but then I'd have to figure out how to do that. So sorry that this product isn't working for others. I am really mystified as to what it is that seems to dry out the hair? My hair is soft and bouncy. Oh well, we all know what they say about what works for some. . .

of course i bought this line today...along with more roux stuff. since i have a wash and go i guess ill be testing this out in a few days.

I bought the DC yesterday and used it last night.

I CW, then used 2 min reconstructor, then applied the DC...rinsed CW again and applied kimmaytube leave-in.

Next day, my hair is soft...but I still smell this DC... it's a medicine- like smell, and me no likey. I always rinse very well, so I don't know what's up--but so far, I'm not a fan. :(

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

So sorry to hear some of the updates about drying out hair...:nono:

I'm going to try these thing out anyway as my hair seems to be peculiar in it's preferences. I didn't know Sally's took returns. That's good to know just in case...

CIMG7783.jpg

Here's my hair with it, tried the line last night.

Shampoo: you just need a blob. A little blob. It has ammonium laureth sulfate which isn't as stripping as sodium lauryl sulfate to me but still, a little dab'll do ya.

Conditioner: has that overly perfume smell that's found in cheaper products (as this entire line does actually) but it actually dissipated some throughout the day. This wasn't terrible, it gave me ample slip to get through the knots and tangles that sprouted out of nowhere.

Leave in: slippery! A bit snotty but it smoothed down my hair. I'm actually surprised that I didn't need to slather on ecostyler on top for once in my life. Dried a little crunchy but I did use some extra but my hair feels soft now. (I had HIH plus coworkers felt free to pull on my curls ALL FRIGGIN DAY so I guess this stuff worked).

Now the leave in isn't the most moisturizing thing I've ever used but my hair definitely doesn't feel dried out at all.

Okay, I drove the 25 min to the nearest Sally's last week, and they were out of the Mixed Silk Leave-in! :ohwell: That's the one I really wanted to get because I can't compare the MS shampoo or DC since I don't used the MC brand of either of those.

I did pick up the DC and Shampoo anyway though, and hgere's my review:

First some background, I only shampoo once a week, sometimes once every two, and I never really DC as a part of my regi.

Mixed Silk Shampoo IMO: it's okay, nothing to write home about. I found the smell to be mild and it got my hair clean enough without feeling brittle or dry. I seemed to need a lot to get a good lather. I'm no shampoo connoisseur, and I pretty much stick to my Nioxin, cause I like the tingle. But all in all, I'd give it a grade of a B.

Mixed Silk Deep Condish IMO: Again, I'm not really a DC person, I did try the MC DC once, but was not impressed for the price point, then I realized, that DCing in general had no real benefit for me. As far as they compare with eachother, I can't really comment, because I can't remember much about the MC one. But the Mixed Silk was okay. It detangled well. It had a pleasant, mild smell, almost an organic or plant-based smell. I'm not saying that it is organic, as it is certainly not, but the smell was reminiscent of an organic product. It gave decent slip, but it didn't make my hair feel as soft and slinky as say ORS Olive Oil Replenisher. I had to use a lot of it and I only have NL, thin hair. I give a grade of a C-.

Overall, they were okay products for the price. I won't buy either of them again for myself, and can't really compare them to the MC brand. I will go back to Sally's and buy the Leave-in before the sale is over, and give a review of that. I am a die hard, daily Mixed Chicks leave-in fan, but I'm really hoping to love the MS because it's so much cheaper.

i like the leave-in so far, and the DC which i have also used as a leave-in...i want to try the shampoo and i'll probably get another DC before the sale ends.

I tried the Leave-in the other night. It was pretty good. My hair was feeling soft and smelled nice. I have never tried Mixed Chicks though.

I finally got around to purchasing these and using them for the first time today.

I like the shampoo. Immediate staple. Hair felt clean AND soft and not tangly and hard like most shampoos.

I LOVED the DC...possible staple...unsure how it will measure up against my current protein fave dc. will probably rotate between the two.

The leave in: I see what people meant by it being sticky...it's strange. I mixed it with Cantu leave in and still had that sticky feeling that was sorta dry when my hair air dried. Will try it on my daughters hair to see if she likes it.

this stuff left residue on my hair. i had just washed it and put the leave in on. when my hair dried it was shiney, but there was some white residue as well. the hair was clean before I put the silk stuff on. i don't think the product is as good as these reviews are claiming it to be.

:arrowright:Yooooooooo! I was just about to make a post about this!

I just bought the Mixed Silk leave-in conditioner for me and my Mom. I always used the regular Silk Elements leave-in so when I saw this, I figured I'd give it a try. Normally when I co-wash I use HH Totally Twisted Conditioner as a leave-in. I co-wash in the afternoon or at night so my hair will be dry by the time I commute to work the following morning. I wet my hair a lil' bit and used the Mixed Silk on a morning when I didn't co-wash the night before and it worked pretty well. Defined the curls and left my hair pretty soft.
My Mom seems to like it as well. She has a TWA and she loves that she can wet her hair in the mornings, use the leave in and her hair is dry and defined by the time she's at work.

So that's my review! :look:

I love the leave in. I think it is definitely more of a styling product than a conditioner. I use a moisturizing leave in before I use it.

I saw this at Sallys today. I didnt know what it was. Let me start at the beginning of this thread...I might be going back to Sally's tomorrow. :)

Sent from my DROIDX

I just posted a review HERE on it. I love this product. I'd never call it a leave-in conditioner though. It's definitely a styling lotion in my mind. I do feel it moisturizes slightly better than MC though.

Back