?'s for anyone that has Mr John's Book...

VALLEYGIRL

?\'s for anyone that has Mr John\'s Book...

Ok I just ordered the book but of couse I'm impatient and have a few questions:

What kind of bristle brush does he recommend for blowdrying? The round one or a paddle brush?

What brand (if any) of pressing oil/cream does he suggest using?

What is an afro comb?

that's all ...I guess the rest can wait until I get the book
Valleygirl

Re: ?\'s for anyone that has Mr John\'s Book...

What kind of bristle brush does he recommend for blowdrying? The round one or a paddle brush?

He says the proper brush has dense bristles and rounded ends. He doesn't specify, boar bristles or nylon, etc. He just says the bristles shouldn't bend because that will damage the hair. The bristles should be soft enough not to scratch the scalp, but still be able to move easily along the hair surface. The photo in the book looks something like the wooden brushes you see in the men's hair care section:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=735010&dept%5Fid=1730
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=209696&dept%5Fid=1730
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=389552&dept%5Fid=1730

But his had a round back instead of square.

What brand (if any) of pressing oil/cream does he suggest using?

He desn't give product names, but he says black hair needs to lubricated with a petroleum (cough! /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) or oil based product before brushing or combing.

What is an afro comb?

A very wide tooth comb. I have the J&D comb and my tangles and I love it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=152650&dept%5Fid=1810
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=183360&dept%5Fid=1810
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=183360&dept%5Fid=1810

I called Mr. Johns last month and had a 40 minute phone appointment with him. He recommends Dudley's pressing creme for pressing - used lightly. The nexxus botanic oil or jojoba oil for maintenance apply lightly. You can set up a phone appointment with him as well. Here's the number: 313-345-4555.

oH THANK YOU SASSYGIRL

You didn't have to go through all that trouble to link pics...but I guess now I see exactly what you are talking about and you didn't have to do all that explaining.!!!

So he suggests a petroleum based product to press hair interesting....b/c I had sworn off petroleum based products for the last 2 years or so and I lately started using Dudley's cream press and I like it a lot. It is mainly vegetable oil but has petroleum, mineral oil, paraffin (wax), lanolin and all the things I said I would never put in my hair again. But my press comes out nice and smooth and shiny. I just have to remember to not use too much b/c then my hair is sticky. And I haven't had any problems washing it out so I guess I will continue to use it untill someone on here suggests some great new product!!!

Those brushes would get so knotted and tangled in my hair!!! Oh my goodness. I was picturing a paddle brush or at least a vent brush.

have you tried his techniques?

I can't wait to get the book

Thanks again
Valleygirl

you can? really...
Oh thank you I am going to call tommorow.

That's great that he suggests those things b/c I already use them. Jojoba oil is great when I wear my hair straight to apply to the ends at night. A tip I originally got from good ole Jade back in the day

And I just posted about the Dudley's pressing creme. It's great but if you use too much you will have greasy sticky hair.

Thanks Coilykinks!!!

Valleygirl

I was going to say you guys are up late tonight but I see you live on the West Coast too!!!

Your Welcome.

If this helps any I know a woman who washes, deep conditions, blow dries and presses her hair once a week. She has had natural hair her entire life and it's about 3 inches from her waist when pressed straight, was past waist but she keeps above waist now. Her hair is so beautiful she has been doing her hair for years and she presses with marcel irons. She uses a little dudleys pressing creme as well. She wears her hair hanging straight down or pulled up in a clip, she only curls it for a special night out sometimes. Her hair type is 4a/b she wears it in it's natural texture at times, the sister has alot of hair she says she enjoys doing her own hair even though it can be alot of work at times but she would rather do it her self than sit in a salon even with a good hair dresser.

Theres another woman who's hair is about 5 - 6 inches from her waist who also presses her hair about every other week, she said she use to go weekly by her schedule is so hectic that she had to swith to bi-weekly. This woman goes to a salon and her hair is as thick and heavy as Oprah's just longer. Her hair dresser doesn't use oil or pressing creme to press. Her hair is beautiful as well - life time natural. My hair dresser never uses pressing oils or cremes as well and the hair turns out soft, straight with lots of body.

I haven't had my hair pressed in years and I made an appointment to have it pressed this weekend and trimmed. It will be nice to see the length straight. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wow,

That's great information, coilykinks. Thanks for the information! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Their hair sounds beautiful. And who said naturals can't grow their hair long!!!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But my press comes out nice and smooth and shiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

ValleyGirl,

Are you referring to pressing with a hot comb or a flat iron?

I have an appointment with Mr. John today. I will have the consultation and then get my hair done. I will give you guys a report tonight

No problem Valleygirl. I was up late procrastinating on my project for finals. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Those brushes do look scary! I use a plastic detangling brush to smooth my hair into position only after combing out every single knot with my wide tooth comb.
I haven't tried his techniques yet, but I plan to whenever I press my hair. My cousins use pressing wax--I was going to try that instead of grease.

And who said naturals can't grow their hair long!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...who said that? I've never heard that one. Obviuosly another one of those hair myths.
If anything I've heard the exact opposite b/c your hair is healthier when you are not breaking it down with chemicals all the time.

Just want to say thanks again

I have set up an appointment for Saturday morning

I am interested in safe blowdry/flatiron methods that will not 'train' my hair. I want to keep my natural curl pattern and not damage it...if this is at all possible when using heat on a somewhat regular basis.

I will let you all know what he says after the convo!!!
Valleygirl

And who said naturals can't grow their hair long!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (not sure) the poster is referring to a remark made by Andre Walker in his book, Andre Talks Hair. In the section on hair types, he says, "In it's natural state, sometimes type 4 hair doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it it breaks. (Of course, if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them braided, your hair can and does grow quite long."

I'm hoping this was an editing error. Maybe they just forgot to include the part about lubricating type 4 hair before combing. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
He's a black man that grew up in Chicago, not to mention a hair care professional--surely he knows better...

This has always amazed me ....not women with long hair but women who are able to use heat on a regular basis and still retain length.

My hairdresser in college would blowdry her relaxed hair and go over it with a marcel iron every week!!! Her hair was a little past waist length, thick, beautiful and shiny.

In my experience it wasn't until I gave up blowdrying that I was able to see any length. (I also NEVER deep conditioned and I was also relaxing my hair)
But after reading posts about people like Mr John who reccomend blowdrying, press and curl methods and reading Lisa Akbari's book I do realize that you can use heat safely and without any damage...I just don't know how to do it!

I guess everyone's hair is indeed different and we should derfinitely stick to what works for us but I am still curious to see what he has to say.
Valleygirl

This has always amazed me ....not women with long hair but women who are able to use heat on a regular basis and still retain length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too! My cousin can do anything to her hair, too. She has pressed, relaxed, wave nouveau'ed and transistioned back to natural. She currently has about 6”-7" of new growth (very thick, coarse 3c/4a) and around 15” of relaxed hair. She has it straightened with a steaming hot blower once a week. If she's pressed for time, she uses an electric hot comb. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif All without any damage whatsover.
I'd be bald by now!
She just shakes her head at my "fanatical" behavior while she greases her scalp with whatever grease was on sale this week...
Her younger sister, OTOH, seems to have to most fragile hair on the face of the earth. If someone breathes on it, it breaks off.
Genetics are a ****! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back