• Wrap and go under dryer

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Wrap and airdry

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Airdry

Votes: 123 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I need to learn how to rollerset. I normally airdry, but when I start wearing my hair out, this will not cut it and I would need to flat iron. So I plan to rollerset to reduce the amount of flat ironing

I rollerset and then airdry. After deep conditioning, I'm sick of sitting under the dryer. :lol: I would wrap my hair, but it always comes out looking like a HAM now that I'm texlaxed. When I used to relax bone straight I would wrap then sit under the dryer.

I airdry 95 % of the time. After doing this, I get used to the full thick texture of my hair. Sometimes I get to a point after rollersetting that I dont care for it so much because my hair feels so thin.

Depends on how much time I have. If it's a weekend and I don't have anything planned I'll let it airdry. If it's during the week I only have a small window to get it done.

I think it looks better under the dryer but I like both results.

BTW, what's a doobie?

i wish one of you ladies could teach me how to rollerset. I would love too but i don't know how>:(

I tried once and it was a disaster? I put the wrong product in my hair and it was hard and I had no curls????:whyme:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Wow...how did you manage to rollerset your hair WITHOUT any setting lotion?? If I tried that, my wet hair would break and tangle up so bad while I'm trying to roller set it!

I also rollerset my hair w/o any setting lotion. I used Salerm 21, and my hair turned out really soft. I also airdried instead of sitting under the dryer, for the first time...it was turned out just as good as when I sit under the dryer :D . I'm just really getting the hang of rollersetting, but I washed and conditioned my hair with J/A/S/O/N biotin poo and con, i sat under the dryer for about 15 minutes w/ the con on, then I rinsed it out. Now...it was REALLY late when I did this and I did not feel like rolling my hair, so I put some Hot Six Oil on my hair and a plastic cap and scarf and went sleep. In the morning i rinsed my hair, and it was really soft and moisturized. BTW, has anyone done this b4? That's when I applied the Salerm 21 and started rolling. I keep a spray bottle of water for when my hair starts drying (I'm really slow). I finished at about 11 am and it was around 9 pm when i took the rollers out (I didn't have anywhere to go). My roots were a little puffy, but not that bad considering i'm still learning and airdried :) . I put some Kids Organic Shea Butter Detangler on my hair and then some hot six oil and combed it through w/ a wide tooth comb and put it in a bun and baggie.

delta_gyrl said:
Depends on how much time I have. If it's a weekend and I don't have anything planned I'll let it airdry. If it's during the week I only have a small window to get it done.

I think it looks better under the dryer but I like both results.

BTW, what's a doobie?

A doobie is just when you wrap your hair.

Sweetg said:
i wish one of you ladies could teach me how to rollerset. I would love too but i don't know how>:(

I tried once and it was a disaster? I put the wrong product in my hair and it was hard and I had no curls????:whyme:

I'll pm you something that naptrl sent me a while ago that has helped my tremendously :) .

I wash my hair once a week and all I do is throw my hair in a ponytail, after moisturizing and sealing, then I through on my wig cap, then my wig, and call it a day. I'm too pregnant to do anything else with it but maybe thats a good thang because now maybe I can retain some length!

After deep conditioning I apply mango butter or LIV to my hair especially the ends and roll on a magnetic roller, twist or bun. The results are always wonderful and soft. I have to redo the bun 2 or 3 times because as my hair dries my hair gets tighter. Once dry I loosed up the bun and french roll my hair.

Thanks. I'm glad you posted this thread.
I can't believe that I missed out on this as long as I've been a member. :look:
My hair goes straight when it's wet, so I think I may buy a dryer and occassionally rollerset my hair. I can spray it with a spray bottle to keep it straight and then roll it.
Are there any special type of rollers to use because I heard that some of them can take the hair out.

I have only been rollersetting/airdrying for a short while. But believe it or not :) before I came to this board I did not know that a roller set would come out straight and shiny if you did not sit under the dryer. When I rollerset and airdry, my hair not only looks and feels great but I know I have skipped the heat and that's a good thang.

I've been airdrying with twistouts, braidouts and bantu knots. I'm gonna try airdrying with rollersets in the near future.

For me, airdrying does not work. It does make my hair hard and crispy. I am 8.5 weeks post. I roller set yesterday and my hair is much more manageable.

rdm said:
For me, airdrying does not work. It does make my hair hard and crispy. I am 8.5 weeks post. I roller set yesterday and my hair is much more manageable.
Have you tried airdrying in a rollerset? You may like it!;)

High Priestess said:
Thanks. I'm glad you posted this thread.
I can't believe that I missed out on this as long as I've been a member. :look:
My hair goes straight when it's wet, so I think I may buy a dryer and occassionally rollerset my hair. I can spray it with a spray bottle to keep it straight and then roll it.
Are there any special type of rollers to use because I heard that some of them can take the hair out.
The only rollers I've used are the magnetic ones. They are smooth and come in several sizes. Ducktail metal clips or the shorter ones must be used with the rollers. There are some magnetic ones with their one clamp on holders. All can be found at Sally's. :)

Isis said:
The only rollers I've used are the magnetic ones. They are smooth and come in several sizes. Ducktail metal clips or the shorter ones must be used with the rollers. There are some magnetic ones with their one clamp on holders. All can be found at Sally's. :)
Thanks Isis. :) Obviously you know the best about these rollers. I went to my local Sallys (two of them), and they only have the ones with the velcro. I guess I'm going to have to leave the valley to find what I'm looking for.

High Priestess said:
Thanks Isis. :) Obviously you know the best about these rollers. I went to my local Sallys (two of them), and they only have the ones with the velcro. I guess I'm going to have to leave the valley to find what I'm looking for.
:eek: I am so amazed they don't have magnetic rollers at Sally's in your area! I've always seen them at Sally's, even long before I started rollersetting. They usually have a wide variety of magnetic rollers also, in different sizes.
Well, I don't know now. You can always order them online.

Some of the ladies here prefer mesh rollers to get their hair smooth and straight. I haven't tried those though...

Last edited:
I sent this in a PM to another poster on the board. Might as well post it here now. This is how I got started doing my own rollersets. The rest comes with practice.

Grammy's acceptance speech: "and BIG UPS TO DLEWIS, DONTSPEAKDEFEAT, and QREUSGURL because they were prominent figures in my rollersetting success..." :thumbsup:

----------------------------------------------
Have you seen this
http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/Roller.html (from newcomer's guide)
and this
http://public.fotki.com/dlewis/hair-1/
(hers are really neat)

They both recommend using different size rollers throughout your hair. Typically, large ones in the center and smaller ones on the side. Also, watch the placement of your roller pins. The roller should be sturdy and not loose (and not extremely tight).

Here's more (these are powerpoint slides. once file opens, click on pages to see the next):
for parting hair-
http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/perm_roll/perm_roll.pps#2
for placing the clips-
http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/roller_place/roller_place.pps#1
(do what works for you. Dlewis clips her rollers together, i'm going to try that next go 'round. I've been using the longer clips and alternate the sides that I place them on.)

Here's an idea of what to do at night if you want to keep the curl (wrapping relaxes the curl). You may pin curl larger sections of dry hair than shown.
http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/pin_curl/pin_curl.pps#1

Also, what are you using to set with? I really like Motions Foam Wrap Lotion (semi-firm hold). Also, good to use are BB's Foam Wrap Lotion (soft hold) and diluted Lottabody (firm hold).

I'm all for the snap-on magnetic rollers right now but I have a collection of all types.

Just thought I'd share! Happy hair rolling!

Last edited:
I only airdry when I do my own hair. I only let my stylist do my rollersets after my touch-ups (the pic of me in the red shirt in my siggy is a rollerset).

I personally don't like the way my hair smells when curling irons have been used. It smells burnt and I like my hair to be fragrant and delightfully scented. My stylist doesn't use a flat iron, and I have not wanted to get one and use it myself.

Rollersetting has done wonders for my hair. I use Rusk Smoother & Lacio Lacio together as leave-ins and set my hair on mesh rollers. I airdry for a few hours then I sit under the hood dryer for about a half hour. I love how my hair looks nice and smooth this way.

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Initially I may start off under the dryer (Medium Setting) for 15-20, 30 minutes and then get up and do some things: laundry, dishes, read to my son etc. I also may switch the temp to high, briefly just to speed things up, but, I really prefer leaving it at medium. It takes my hair about 2-hours to dry.

I check to see if its dry by removing a roller every now and then in different areas. If its still damp I go back under the dryer. Once its completely dry I let it cool for 10 minutes (not using a dryer) then I remove the rollers and go on from there.

PrettyBrownEyes musta been peeking in my window, cuz this is my routine minus reading to my son...i have daughters...lol.

I had been airdrying but now I'm 12 weeks into my transition and I prefer to spend some time under the dryer. Still no direct heat though.

LadyEsquire said:
PrettyBrownEyes musta been peeking in my window, cuz this is my routine minus reading to my son...i have daughters...lol.

:lol: I'm just now seeing this. I must have posted this awhile ago. I pretty much do the same thing but I have the temperature on high, and then get up when I can't take it anymore.

I airdry.. I'm trying to find a roller I can use to give me stick straight hair in the morning. I don't want to be using a flatiron everyday to get that look and I'm wondering how people are achieving that look w/out using the flatiron. Also, I don't thing the wrap is an option because you have to manipulate your hair too much.

I roller-set and sit under dryer. One thing I learned ( the hard way) is that you have to be super CAREFUL when removing end papers. If you are too rough your hair will snap right off! :-(

Back