Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Wrap and airdry

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Airdry

Votes: 123 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tryn2growmyhair said:
I am still suffering from dryness and think that my hair might be reverting because of washing twice a week. Do you have any more advice? I appreciate all the advice that all of you ladies gave me before. Thanks.

I'd like to offer a few suggestions to combat dry hair that has worked for me.

1. UBH moisterizer
2. olive, coconut, castor oils
3. Profective mega moisture
4. fantasia with oil mixture
5. glycerine
6. deep treatments
7. Steam treaments

I used all of these at some point or another, sometimes mixing several together with success. :)

SisterGirl* said:
I'd like to offer a few suggestions to combat dry hair that has worked for me.

1. UBH moisterizer
2. olive, coconut, castor oils
3. Profective mega moisture
4. fantasia with oil mixture
5. glycerine
6. deep treatments
7. Steam treaments

I used all of these at some point or another, sometimes mixing several together with success. :)

Thanks very much. I really appreciate this advice. I had used the UBH moisturizer with much success but then a) it stopped working as well and b) I decided it was too expensive. I am going to try to mix some Elasta QP Recovery, which is similar, with olive oil and see how that works. How did you uise the glycerine? I tried glycerine and that really did not work for me. Made my hair hard, dry and crispy. :ohwell:

I always rollerset my hair to dry. And most of the times I do not use heat/sit under a dryer. I wash my hair before I go to bed , rollerset and sleep in them. It's not as comfortable but it beats waiting for my hair to dry during the day time hrs.

I also rollerset my hair at night and then sleep with the rollers on the weeks that I airdry. I do this every other week rotating between heat and airdry.

If you mean too much in terms of manipulation I don't think so. If people can do co-washes every day and then reapply creams, leave-in, moisturizers, and do baggies every day I think that rollersetting twice a week should be fine. Especially if you airdry.

However I think it would be too much in terms of time. But that is my opinion. I have not mastered my timing in rollersetting my hair. So twice a week would be to much (work) for me.

I'm going to try and get my wash and set every week it did my hair good when I ddi this in the past.

Just stop letting them blow it out.

Nappyme said:
I'm going to try and get my wash and set every week it did my hair good when I ddi this in the past.

Just stop letting them blow it out.
Again, I think it depends on your hair. One of the main reasons my hair has grown is because I stopped going to the Dominican Salons as much. I am still growing out the breakage from their rough combing. Even if they dont blow it out, that rough combing will snap off my fine, fragile, 4b hair. If I had thick hair, I think that I would go to them more often. My hair looked nice and silky but never grew when I was going to them once a week. I think avoiding the Dominican Salons might be why I started this thread in the first place. I just bought the Pibbs Kwik Dry that I saw at a lot of the salons and started doing my hair myself. It's such a huge savings too. Say a wash and set comes out to 20 with tip. That's about 1,000 a year. A Pibbs lasts for years and you might be lucky enough to get one for between 200-300 dollars. At the cheapest price, that's 10 visits to the Dominican salon.

NewYorkgyrl said:
I do this every other week rotating between heat and airdry.
Maybe I will do this. I'm not going to lie, one of the reasons that I airdry is because I am too lazy to take the time to rollerset, esp. since I wash my hair twice a week. :look:

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Initially I may start off under the dryer (Medium Setting) for 15-20, 30 minutes and then get up and do some things: laundry, dishes, read to my son etc. I also may switch the temp to high, briefly just to speed things up, but, I really prefer leaving it at medium. It takes my hair about 2-hours to dry.

I check to see if its dry by removing a roller every now and then in different areas. If its still damp I go back under the dryer. Once its completely dry I let it cool for 10 minutes (not using a dryer) then I remove the rollers and go on from there.

I do this as well.

Lindy said:
I find myself rollersetting (& going under the dryer) less and less lately... I find that I can get very comparable results by just letting my hair airdry then doing my mohawk set (with sponge rollers) at night. My hair also looks a lot thicker this way compared to when I rollerset. :up:

I only rollerset now when I want my hair to have that light, swingy feeling.

Please tell me more about this mohawk set.

I recently discovered the joys of rollersetting. I sit under my Ion bonnet dryer for about an hour and a half. I haven't tried to airdry my sets yet, but I get great results with heat. MY hair is full, bouncy, and shiny.

Hello I am new to the board. But I wanted to say, when I go to the hair dresser I do the roller set hairdyer then have her wrap it to loosen the curls.

But at home I may sit under the hairdryer for about 45-60 minutes and if it is not dry I let it contine in the air dry. Then I do the wrap go under the dryer for about 10 minutes to loosen the curl.

neonbright said:
Hello I am new to the board. But I wanted to say, when I go to the hair dresser I do the roller set hairdyer then have her wrap it to loosen the curls.

But at home I may sit under the hairdryer for about 45-60 minutes and if it is not dry I let it contine in the air dry. Then I do the wrap go under the dryer for about 10 minutes to loosen the curl.

Welcome! :wave:

offthechainliz said:
my best results are by rollerset then sit under a dryer. I airdry sometimes, but to much air drying breaks my hair.
I am definitely going back to rollersets. Too much airdrying also breaks off my hair. I have tried everything -- even using the UBH moisturizer. I think the only way that airdrying would work would be if my hair was in braids.

I say rollerset, when I air dry my hair is crispy and breaks a lot, but generally I think it's best to try both and see which works best for your hair.
I got under the dryer for about an hour, and adjust it towards the end to medium heat.

Since I have so much new growth (6 months post) I've been airdrying because it takes too much manipulation to get my hair straight. However, the first few months following my relaxer I usually rollerset under the soft bonnet drier.

So I guess I do both as my hair permits.

I rollerset and then sit under a dryer. My hair takes DAYS to air dry when its set. My twist sets take about 2 days to dry completely and my rollerset (tried air drying one time only) took 2 and a half days. RIDICULOUS! My hair is seriously thick and when clumped together it takes a long time to dry naturally.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Is there a moisturizer that you would recommend. In the past, I have really thought that most stylists were trying to rip me off. However, I made it clear to this stylist that I was going to be doing my hair by myself at home. Also, she knew that I was from a hairboard, so she probably figured that I was not going to be coming in every week, :lol:! She STILL told me that I should rollerset at home. She said that everyone's hair is different and that my type of hair (it is super kinky) should only be airdried after it's been freshly relaxed. She said that rollersetting helps to soften the new growth.

What happens to me is that my roots become matted when they are airdryed and my hair is tangly and hard to comb.

Has anyone tried Soft and Beautiful Botanicals Lite Creme Moisturizer, for Natural/Texturized Styles? It comes in a tube. I picked it up out of the blue, to try a product specifically for my new growth. This stuff is wonderful. I've tried S-Curl, but this stuff is soooo much better. I massage it into my new growth, whenever it feels dry and follow that with a botanical oil. I cannot believe how soft it makes it, and I am definitely a 4b, y'all!

Since I work out 5 mornings a week, I had to come up with something that I can use daily on my new growth; it just wouldn't work for me to do rollersets a couple times a week with sweating up a storm almost everyday. I also massage it in before bed, and I wake up and it's not matted or anything; just really soft. For me, I have limited my washes to twice a week for less manipulation. The Botanicals is great for betweeen washes on new growth.

I forgot to mention, I voted for airdry. My hair is so much healthier since I stopped using heat to dry it.

Isis said:
I rollerset and airdry overnight. So far, so good. :up:
About stretching relaxers, I feel it's important to go by what one's hair prefers. Everyone is different. Some can stretch for several months without problems and others can only do 6-8 weeks before breakage starts, and that's ok.

im a little confused. are we saying that not gettin a relaxer can cause breakage? i thought getting relaxers would be more likely to break hair than not gettin one. perhaps i am missing something?

FlawedBeauty said:
im a little confused. are we saying that not gettin a relaxer can cause breakage? i thought getting relaxers would be more likely to break hair than not gettin one. perhaps i am missing something?

I believe what we're saying is that some people's hair breaks more from stretching relaxers than others. If someone's hair breaks extremely lets say aftter ten weeks, then if they continue to stretch six more weeks more harm will be done than good. Once the relaxer their hair, the amount of hair that the lost from breakage won't out weigh how much length they've received from stretching. It won't be a win-win situation. So it's better for some to relaxer sooner than others for the health of their hair. I hope I answered your question.

My vote is for rollersetting - only b/c I've had more rollersets vs. airdrying. I'm usually in too much of a hurry, but when I have airdryed, my hair has required styling afterwards.

Back