Return of the jheri curl

If there was a chemical (not a texturizer) to mimic the type 3 curls, I think a lot of black women would go for it.
:yep: cause type 3 is the "Holy Grail" of curl patterns I could see quite a few people turning to the curl as an alternative to having 4B hair then claiming it is their natural curl pattern.

Are there any other 4s that love their hair and do not wish for type 3 hair? The impression I get from this site (and some comments in this thread) is that it is just not possible and I know I am not a unicorn.

i actually think "temporary straighteners" will be the rage. its already starting now and as time passes i can see more sophisticated formulations to come

Ogoma said:
Are there any other 4s that love their hair and do not wish for type 3 hair? The impression I get from this site (and some comments in this thread) is that it is just not possible and I know I am not a unicorn.

I love my 4B hair. I thought I saw more claiming 4A. Everybody on here is 4A supposedly or so I thought or they think.

I love my hair. I think it suits me. I have had a few folks try to deny me my type 4 card and I say just because my hair clumps with products doesn't mean I'm not a type 4. The largest curls in my hair are the size of pencils and they get smaller like chop sticks. I have O shapes and S shapes. I consider my hair afro textured and kinky. To me that falls into type 4 hair.

I have elderly relatives who have a curl and their hair does not look like the juicy jheri curls of the past. Maybe I should ask what they are using. Their hair doesn't really look different from some of the wngs I have seen on Youtube. I have had a coworker ask me if I was using an activator when I started wearing wngs. My hair had not dried completely. I can see how some who know nothing about wngs may think think people are sporting a curl.

I had a curl back in the 80s and I hated the juiciness of it! I only got it done once and didn't go back. I let the "curl" poof out because I refused to use the amount of activator required to keep the curls. I walked around with a moisturized fro-like style for a while. It was huge and I loved it! :)

Actually, you are dead on op! It already has in some circles.

I'm in cali. My friend is a stylist. She said over the last year they've had a mad rush for The Curl (lol) in her salon. Mostly by type 4 Africans who are Nigerian, Eritrean, and Ethiopian.

Its only a matter of time before the rest of us catch on...

Noooooooooo! (said like the newly formed Darth Vader)

I love my 4B hair. I thought I saw more claiming 4A. Everybody on here is 4A supposedly or so I thought or they think.

LOL! Nope! I'm all 4b, baby! I actually see a lot of people claiming 4b and 4c and 4z proudly. To me, natural type 4's have the prettiest hair. I think a 4b natural is doing more than a type 3 natural because people still look at you when you are a type 4 natural as having "nappy" or "bad" hair.

I actually have a friend who is a type 3 and she wears her hair cut short. She's always had issues with thin hair and now it's to the point that you can see her scalp.

But like I said before, if they come out with the right product to make a 4 look like a 3, there will be some 4's who get it and will claim they got "good hair." :lol:

LOL! Nope! I'm all 4b, baby! I actually see a lot of people claiming 4b and 4c and 4z proudly. To me, natural type 4's have the prettiest hair. I think a 4b natural is doing more than a type 3 natural because people still look at you when you are a type 4 natural as having "nappy" or "bad" hair.

I actually have a friend who is a type 3 and she wears her hair cut short. She's always had issues with thin hair and now it's to the point that you can see her scalp.

But like I said before, if they come out with the right product to make a 4 look like a 3, there will be some 4's who get it and will claim they got "good hair." :lol:

I'm a Type 3, and I totally agree! For me, Type 4's do have the prettiest hair...it's always so super thick, and nice. When it's straight, it looks better than Any relaxer (no shade to relaxed heads), and it just creates the most beautiful and unique hair styles. It's like the most versatile hair there is! I wish I saw more Type 4's loving their hair type.

Me, I just wear my hair curly n that's it. All the styles 4's can do, look weird, or ugly (I am style challenged tho), or expose how thin my hair really is. Why everyone wants to be a Type 3 is beyond me.

lol I don't understand why everyone get so excited when they see type 3 hair. Why do people want type 3 hair so bad? You either have it or you don't. People look at my 5" of NG and see that it is type 3 (not sure of the letter) and they encourage me to keep going and say I have "pretty" hair or that "I would go natural if I had pretty curly hair like yours". Type 4 hair is curly last time I checked and is just as pretty.:yep: I thought texlaxing could give a person a type 3/curly look. I can't tell the difference. Jherri curls look like type 3B hair to me.

lol I don't understand why everyone get so excited when they see type 3 hair. Why do people want type 3 hair so bad? You either have it or you don't. People look at my 5" of NG and see that it is type 3 (not sure of the letter) and they encourage me to keep going and say I have "pretty" hair or that "I would go natural if I had pretty curly hair like yours". Type 4 hair is curly last time I checked and is just as pretty.:yep: I thought texlaxing could give a person a type 3/curly look. I can't tell the difference. Jherri curls look like type 3B hair to me.

I actually don't get excited when I see type 3 hair and I never have. If I could have any texture, it would be 4a.

I have 3c hair and nothing about my hair is see through thin or silky :look:. It's bushy as hell and thick/very cottony. The only thing that differentiates me from a person with cottony/thick type 4 hair is the fact that my curls are substantially bigger..which is what I thought the type xyz curl category or lack there of was based on. :confused: ...in fact ive seen plenty of individuals with 4a hair that is thinner than mine and actually silkier. So when people say they don't get excited about type 3 hair I get it but the reasoning why confuses me.

BillsBackerz67 said:
I have 3c hair and nothing about my hair is see through thin or silky :look:. It's bushy as hell and thick/very cottony. The only thing that differentiates me from a person with cottony/thick type 4 hair is the fact that my curls are substantially bigger..which is what I thought the type xyz curl category or lack there of was based on. :confused: ...in fact ive seen plenty of individuals with 4a hair that is thinner than mine and actually silkier. So when people say they don't get excited about type 3 hair I get it but the reasoning why confuses me.

Yeah my hair isn't thin at all. its really fine along my temples but its really thick towards the back and the texture ranges from silky to coarse.

I dont give a free falling **** about type 3 hair. If your hair is long, thick, and healthy then you've got my attention. I'm more impressed by long type 4 hairs anyways (since I dont see long type 4s often)

The girl I responded to said everyone gets excited over type 3 hair so I responded to that. Some other people have put up posts like a majority of ladies on here love or want to be a type 3. I never said all type 3's have thin hair and I don't think that all type 4's have thick hair. I just don't agree with generalizations period. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting or loving type 3 hair, but don't assume that everyone wants it.

e0mwit.gif

look how he lets it fling in the wind:
tumblr_m6pe0zcO6C1qivoo8o1_500.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

Not ashamed to say I had a jheri curl (wave nouveau) 2 years ago...it looked awesome and I looked good in it (I'll post pics later). It didn't drip or look greasy like the old school ones did. If I hadn't relaxed I would still be rocking the curl.

I had a curl back in the 80's when everybody had one...I hated the activator! That crap would eat the paint off the walls!

The girl I responded to said everyone gets excited over type 3 hair so I responded to that. Some other people have put up posts like a majority of ladies on here love or want to be a type 3. I never said all type 3's have thin hair and I don't think that all type 4's have thick hair. I just don't agree with generalizations period. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting or loving type 3 hair, but don't assume that everyone wants it.

I should have said mostly everyone I've met and know personally concerning natural hair seems to have a preference for type 3 hair, I apologize.

Back