Are people still going natural?

I definitely still see people going natural. But not as many as before because it seems a lot of people I see and know are already natural.

A couple years ago in my area it started with the adults. This past year I noticed a lot of teen and early 20s girls in twist outs, braid outs, and just plain old well-kept Afros. I hear some talking and they are hiding their kinks under weaves.

Yea, people are still going natural. I see lots of puffs on grown women when I am out and about. Plus, alot of women go natural but still wear weave. So, unless you ask you will never know they are natural. There is plenty of info online which means people don't really have to talk/post about it as much.

Im a senior in high school and I went natural May of my freshman year, 2010. And until this year was the only natural girl in my school. So I think the trend is still going strong it's just that it has to be "cool or popular" for majority of the girls to do it here. I live in country town USA Georgia lol

I had contemplated going natural, until I read these boards. Plus, I have one of "THOSE" :nono: husbands.

In Birmingham I still see more straight hair (could be or couldn't be natural, don't know) than natural styles. But then again, since I have started my HHJ, I find myself paying attention to the condition of a person's hair more so than whether its natural or relaxed. I have seen some pretty jacked up brillo pad looking, lint filled natural hair. Just like I have seen some very chewed up relaxed ends (I used to be in this bunch).

Last edited:
Yep they are. I have two friends that just went natural & they would have never felt comfortable doing it if natural wasn't popular right now. I also notice that there are naturals in every commercial now! Hopefully society is moving or has moved toward a place where natural AND relaxed hair are the "norm". I hope that it stays that way. For some reason, this doesn't feel like a trend to me but only time will tell.

I think that most people who go natural now do so without any "fanfare".
When I went natural way back in 2006 (big chop in 2007), people were asking me "why would you do that". Nowadays, almost everyone is natural.

I, however, am on my way to Texlax-nation. After being natural for more than 5 years, I know many healthy hair practices, and plan on continuing to use them as I pursue this new journey. All of my natural friends are angry at me, but hey, it's my head.

I know I can always fall back to Natural-land if being texlaxed doesn't work out. (I hope it does though:yep:)

DH just said on Saturday how he is seeing alot of natural's in TV commericals lately. :grin: Mind you this is a man that was not to happy that I went natural 6 years ago. :look: I didn't care, I was still going to do what was best for my hair.

I live in the "middle of nowhere" Texas and I'm only just now starting to see more people going natural, but I still think the majority are relaxed around here.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DH just said on Saturday how he is seeing alot of natural's in TV commericals lately. :grin: Mind you this is a man that was not to happy that I went natural 6 years ago. :look: I didn't care, I was still going to do what was best for my hair.

I've noticed it, too. Also, I notice a lot in print ads as well. I was just pointing it out to DH the other day. :yep:

Yup 4 months natural and my hair is neck length!
Did the Big Chop at 6 months post on Sept. 16, 2012. Best hair decision I ever made:)

^^^
ITA with @RegaLady, plus a few people are doing long term transitioning, rather than the BC

This is mmmeeee!! At first I was obsessed with my natural hair, then after I texlaxed (2010) I kinda fell off the wagon. Now Im long-term transitioning (last perm August 2011) I already know everything I need to regarding natural hair (like I said, I was obsessed:look:) So there really is no need to post like I used to. I think so MANY people already went natural, and thats why there seems to be more of a gravitation towards threads regarding "retention" etc.

My 13 year old sister just BC after transitioning for only 4 months. She keeps telling me she misses having a ponytail but I keep telling her she looks gorgeous with her twa.

My 13 year old sister just BC after transitioning for only 4 months. She keeps telling me she misses having a ponytail but I keep telling her she looks gorgeous with her twa.

Wow! Maybe you should treat your sister to a dinner and/or a movie. I know it probably wasn't an easy decision; but, she did it and that's pretty cool :yep:.

Just BC last night at 11 month post.

Congrats!!!!!

I think that it's what others mentioned, being natural has become the new normal. I'm noticing that the new threads are more about styling and retaining length.

ETA: BC'd in Sept 2007. This year I will celebrate my 6 year anniversary. I am in love with my natural hair and I will never relax again.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
Im transitioning to natural!!!
Im a junior in college and I thought it was time for something new, I've been transitioning for a little over 8 months. But I dont post on here as much b/c I'm always super busy. I cant wait to be fully natural!!!
:grin::grin::grin:

Yep. I've been natural for 3 years (not that long in the grand scheme of things) and my friends all look to me for advice. They treat me like the dalai lama of hair. "So DNA, what are your thoughts on parabens?" They want my insight on everything. It's so funny to me. :lol:

I looks like it's still going strong to me. I just big chopped on Sunday after almost 2 years of transitioning. My 21 yr old daughter is currently transitioning. Everywhere I go in NY I see natural heads and locs. It kept me inspired to do my chop.

I believe that the stigma and misconceptions behind natural hair have finally been dispelled as more and more women have successfully transitioned and became natural.

I finally finished my transition last August (2012) at 15 mos post when I cut off the last few inches of my relaxed hair. Being natural is 200% easier than I thought it would be. In fact, I don't know why I ever had a relaxer in the first place.

In the DMV, there are so many naturals...heat styled naturals, no heat naturals, etc. that it isn't really a big deal anymore. I find it odd when I meet a woman who still relaxes...and of the ones I know, a few are seriously considering transitioning...especially since the styling options are so versatile these days.

Back