Retaining Growth With Wash And Gos

kimmiecakes

HI Ladies,

After so many failed attempts I have finally perfected the wash and go. I had no idea it was even something that I could wear as a daily CUTE style. I normally use a sew ins to retain growth. I'm slightly past apl and want to get to bra strap and beyond. I'm taking viviscal and don't use heat ever. Do you guys feel that wash and gos allow hair to retain growth? I don't get ssk ( used to) I co wash daily and have I guess a 3c hair type. I trying to decide if I need to get a sew in or if I will be able to retain growth with a wash and go.

Thanks Ladies

I hope so. I'm type 4c/b and I guess i'm experimenting on myself to see if I can retain growth with a wng- it's all I've been wearing for the past two years. My longest layers are APL.

ETA: Came back to say I try to keep manipulation to a minimum so I tend to wear my wng for about 4 days before I refresh or redo. I can go longer but I hate removing neverending shed hair, so I try wash (clay wash or water rinse) at least once a week.

Last edited:
HI Ladies,

After so many failed attempts I have finally perfected the wash and go. I had no idea it was even something that I could wear as a daily CUTE style. I normally use a sew ins to retain growth. I'm slightly past apl and want to get to bra strap and beyond. I'm taking viviscal and don't use heat ever. Do you guys feel that wash and gos allow hair to retain growth? I don't get ssk ( used to) I co wash daily and have I guess a 3c hair type. I trying to decide if I need to get a sew in or if I will be able to retain growth with a wash and go.

Thanks Ladies

Do you mind sharing the details of what you do to achieve your perfected wash and go? Thanks in advance!

I think you can but cowashing daily might be too much manipulation. I'm trying this myself too because I'm lazy lol

I'm trying to wash, dc and style once a week. Pineappling to keep the curls during the week. I'm on day 4 currently and have no issues.

You should join us at the fall/winter wash n go challenge thread. It's not a challenge anymore but we talk about products, techniques, share regimens etc.

Do you mind sharing the details of what you do to achieve your perfected wash and go? Thanks in advance!
HI Yvette,

I will come back after work to update you. The products that I used today are Shea Moisture JBCO leave in and styling lotion, a small amount of smooth and shine curl activator gel and eco clear. I have oil free defined curls today SO FAR. I think the smooth and shine adds just a bit of moisture. I have used those shea products in the past and it came out greasy and heavy. the bulk of my product is eco clear or green gel. I have decided to do wash and go for two or three weeks then back to sew in. I don't really think I can retain as much growth this way. Once I get to bra strap I will have a better wash and go look and wont care so much. Right now at apl my hair is chin length sigh

I have retained and I wash n go 99.9% of the time. I've been doing them for two years since my big chop. When I chopped I had 3-5 inches of hair and was nl now I'm apl and have 9-12 inches of hair. I usually only style once a week. I usually wash on Saturday or Sunday and I don't have to refresh until Wednesday or Thursday. Refreshing usually only consists of me spraying with water section by section and raking my fingers through each section. I usually don't have to apply more product however I will apply more it I feel I need it. Checking out the fall/winter wash n go thread(fyi thread is not just for fall/winter we post all year long). There are some great tips and you can check some progress photos.

I WnG about 99% as well and I retain length pretty well. Constantly between .5-1 inch per month. However, I would like to reduce my WnG's because I do feel it is a lot of manipulation. I shed a lot and even have breakage, so although I have length I struggle with density and edges. My hair is approximately WL when stretched. I haven't really perfected a WnG technique or found staple products. I always struggle with products feeling so great the first few times I use them and then my hair having a completely different reaction to them. Also, I have to use A LOT of product every time so I feel like it's just too expensive to maintain. At most I'll get two days out of a WnG. My SSKs are rampant but I am also due for a trim.

I have retained and I wash n go 99.9% of the time. I've been doing them for two years since my big chop. When I chopped I had 3-5 inches of hair and was nl now I'm apl and have 9-12 inches of hair. I usually only style once a week. I usually wash on Saturday or Sunday and I don't have to refresh until Wednesday or Thursday. Refreshing usually only consists of me spraying with water section by section and raking my fingers through each section. I usually don't have to apply more product however I will apply more it I feel I need it. Checking out the fall/winter wash n go thread(fyi thread is not just for fall/winter we post all year long). There are some great tips and you can check some progress photos.

Can I ask what your routine is as night for preserving your WnG? I have tried pineappling on both dry and wet hair but with each method I have issues. I end up redoing the style on a daily basis.

Can I ask what your routine is as night for preserving your WnG? I have tried pineappling on both dry and wet hair but with each method I have issues. I end up redoing the style on a daily basis.
I don't pineapple I just throw on my Large bonnet and in the morning I let steam revive it. For the 1st nine months after my BC I was doing my hair everyday then slowly was able to start getting multiple day hair after a lot of practice. I've tried pineapple a couple of times and that doesn't work for me.

Have you looked into getting these bands in a post I made?
Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

I think anyone who has difficulty with pinappling should try them before giving up on it completely

I just fluff and go in the mornings

I have been exclusively wearing WNGs since my 3rd BC 6 weeks ago.

My hair has grown like wildfire. My hair started at the TWA stage and now after 6 weeks is in that "awkward" stage. I wash/co-wash my hair every 3 to 4 days and spritz my hair with plain water everyday in between washes to reactivate the WNG.

I have been exclusively wearing WNGs since my 3rd BC 6 weeks ago.

My hair has grown like wildfire. My hair started at the TWA stage and now after 6 weeks is in that "awkward" stage. I wash/co-wash my hair every 3 to 4 days and spritz my hair with plain water everyday in between washes to reactivate the WNG.

Wow! Yay! :clap: What products do you use?

I've been doing wash & go styles all summer and it's working for me. I've been hovering at APL for years and always wanted to hit MBL to get fuller hair.
It took me years to realize that traditional protective styles don't work for my fine 4a hair after trying cornrows, kinky twists, Havana twists and crochet braids for years.
I'm comfortable at APL since my hair can look pretty full. I wash every 4 - 6 days but am planning to get that down to once per week.

I'm getting a blowout in about 2 weeks, and a trim so I will be able to see documented results.
My last blowout and trim was on June 10.

This is my APL hair in a wash & go style a few weeks ago. It's a great protective style since my hair doesn't touch my shoulders/clothes.

wash-and-go-curl-cream-jpg.369863

This is my hair straightened earlier this year.

blow-out-jpg.369861

Last edited:
OK so reporting my results for today. I think my hair looked it's best. Did not get frizzy and the curl held. My only complaint is that even though I used a tiny amount of the activator gel, I think it made my face a bit oily. I will use even less next time. I sleep on a satin pillow case only. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I wash n go 99.99% also since my 2nd BC 2 yrs ago. I started with the hair in my avvie and now am almost APL. I'm a slow grower with poor nutrition & exercise habits, and my growth rate is about the same as when I used to braid, twist, cornrow, bantu etc. My hair grows out and not down, if I want length I gotta go hard with my flat iron! Other than that i'm comfortable with my every day Afro!

I hope so. I'm type 4c/b and I guess i'm experimenting on myself to see if I can retain growth with a wng- it's all I've been wearing for the past two years. My longest layers are APL.

ETA: Came back to say I try to keep manipulation to a minimum so I tend to wear my wng for about 4 days before I refresh or redo. I can go longer but I hate removing neverending shed hair, so I try wash (clay wash or water rinse) at least once a week.
@AbsyBlvd how do u do a wng with 4c/b hair? Ure natural right?

Yes @scarcity21, I'm natural. I think the main things for a lasting wash and go is technique, good moisture level, as well as a good gel (in my case KCCC), staying away from ingredients/ products that are drying to my hair, and minimal playing with/ pulling on my hair once dry.

As a type 4c/b I know I have to be thorough to avoid tangles. I smooth and stretch my hair in small sections whenever I wash and apply product. I also make sure to coat every strand with gel from root to tip. I use fingers only for best definition.

I am hoping to retain with wash and go's. I've gotten to shoulder length (stretched) with wash and go's and about 4 8-week stretches of crochet braid installations.

The constant mechanical manipulation of twisting and retwisting, only to get a style that looks like a wngo in 2 days, was too time consuming for me. I have 2 little ones and a husband.

My hair is fine, hipo, and 4a. Tangling and knots are an issue. My detangling skills are ever improving. My LHCF hair twin has advised me that retention is possible even with frequent search and destroy sessions. We'll see!

I've learned to lightly finger detangle constantly: at the cowash step, at the R/O condition step . . . even on dry hair when I'm just sitting, if it's been sealed with jojoba oil (which causes my strands to slide by one another).

Banding and chunky twisting has helped. Of course, you can argue that now we know longer have a wash and go at that point!

I hope I can reach APL this way. We'll see! If not, I'll adopt a different regimen. :smile: I always share that NaturelleGrow's Protein-free Marshmallow, Slippery Elm, and Cinnamon DC has changed my detangling and thus wash and go life.

@AbsyBlvd i surely will, how often do u rewet ur hair when u wear wng's?

Nice. Lately, I've been feeling lazy as I've been making my wng last for at least 7 days (I like to wash/ wet detangle at least every 4 days). I washed my hair last Tuesday and have wet my hair twice this week. Once with the shower head (I think day 3), and the other time was about 2 days ago and was a spritz of rosewater and jojoba oil (I've only done this twice but I think my hair really likes this). I always sleep with a silk scarf and I'll sometimes baggy my ends.

Well I am really loving my hair with my wash and go this week. First time ever I am on like day four or five and it looks better daily. I'm stepping out on faith. I swear Im tired of setbacks. You ladies are giving me hope. I really don't want to have to wear weave and braids all the time. I love them but want to enjoy my hair also.

Back