Relaxed ladies... How long do you stretch?

I usually stretch for 12 weeks but right now I am currently 5 months post relaxer... :blush:... I stretched long this time b/c I was pregnant and did not feel like doing my hair.. :nono:.. When I stretch my relaxer I wear my hair in a bun and moisturize daily.. This will be the last time I stretch this long..:yep:

in the winter i can usually do like 16 weeks, but in the summer it is like 13. I really dont look at it stretching because my hair grows so slow unless it is the summer.

l just ended a 26week stretch and had some major problems towards the last 4 weeks and used braids for about 5 weeks before that. This time I am stretching for 16 weeks without using braid extensions at all.

My plan is to wash my hair in 6 braids (crown and glory method) and then use a ponytail rollerset to dry my hair and keep my roots straight. Has anyone else with coily 4b hair successfully stretched longterm using the ponytail rollerset as a staple?

if so i want details!

Last edited:
I just did 14 weeks. I stopped rollersetting around week 11. :look: I just wore my puffy roots and kept it in a bun. It got scary, but I tried not to manipulate it much at all.

My last stretch was 1 yr and I am about 15 weeks into another 1 yr stretch. I live in Guam where it is hella humid so I dont fight it and waste relaxer just to put it in some braids. I got about 2 more yrs left and I figure I will keep this up (relaxing once a year).

I only do roller sets the first 2 mon. after that its braids or I will do bantu knots or flat twist (my new fav). The key to a stretch is not to fight your new growth, you will not win and if you do the hair will loose from you beating it into submission. So that kinda sounds like a loose loose situation.

I stretched for 6 months by bunning and wearing a phony ponytail to keep me going. I used Long Aid curl activator gel to keep my new growth soft and slicked back. I could have gone longer than 6 months but I was challenged at keeping different styles and DH was ready for my hair to be out and flowing again, LOL. I think I will be doing this again for the spring/summer and relax in the fall.

ETA: Here is a pick of me with the ponytail i was wearing. The same ponytail is what is in my avatar but I wore it low that time. Tried to change it up as best as I could. HTH

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Usually on 10 weeks but this time I'm shooting for 14 weeks and its getting a little tough for me me lol. Im sticking to 12 weeks after this.

I stretch for 6 months and get a touch up two times a year. Actually yesterday and the day before that was the end of a six month stretch.

You've already gotten some good suggestions as far as taming the area on your head that didn't take you relaxer well. Because you still have different textures on your head, I would highly recommend paying extra attention to that spot in regards to moisturizing, because if you do not, you'll probably get some breakage. Keep up on your DC's too, this will also help keep any breakage at bay. You can still do the scarf method, ponytail rollerset, etc. Mummysgirl has a thread for transitioning styles where she did a rollerset without ponytail holders on her transitioning hair (lots of new growth) and it came out great. Use the search feature to look for the thread on transitioning styles, it helps the long term stretchers too.

I really hesitate to suggest a corrective relaxer, but you might want to consider it (only on the underprocessed part). I have to think about a corrective too, because some parts on my hair came out underprocessed more than I usually like even though I texlax. HTH

Back