Relaxed Hair Thread

I'm strongly considering relaxing my natural hair. But I'm curious about how to go about it. I've been natural for 6 years but I used to let the Dominicans relax my hair. They over lapped too much and my hair was thin. If possible I would like to self relax. I want to keep it thick and a bit textured. But my hair is so kinky I don't think I'll be able to cut through and apply quick enough for my whole head to process correctly. I wa 's thinking of blow drying my hair then relaxing it but is that too much manipulation? Any tips?

Definitely blow dry before to avoid tangles.

Okay. I was think of blow drying a week before. I remember that washing the hair to close to a relaxer can result in burns. I'm going to have to watch a lot of self relaxer videos./QUOTE]

I regularly wash my hair the day before (very gently mind you) then relax the following day, and many ladies do a similar process with zero burning/scabbing, this is essential to me as it enables very soft new growth and it's just easier to part the hair. However where you are relaxing virgin hair it may be wise to be cautious and leave it a few days beforehand and blow-dry the hair for easy application.

I assume you want to texlax? That being the case use oils in the relaxer and just process for a shorter amount of time.

The big question now is the type/brand of relaxer you're going to use. Would strongly suggest a salon/professional brand.

Finally relaxed my hair:toocool:

I literally ran out halfway through the last section :mad:

My hair was thirsty as hayle. I don't think I'm gonna wait as long next time. That relaxer was literally sitting on top of my head until I started being more generous with the application process.

And I finally fixed the texture of the back of my head :clap::clapping::cup:

The new formulation of Vitale Sensitive Scalp worked suuuper quick. I applied it like 4 minutes or so (per section. I split it into 4 parts and did each one separately)and was ready to rinse almost as soon as I finished applying.

Time to go deep condition.

Im gonna attempt some crochet box braids. I see the no-cornrow version is getting to be very popular but I dont really think pulling your real hair through that braid is a good idea. Plus I have way too much hair to even begin to think about braiding it all in Felicia braids.

Maybe I can bribe my mom with some lunch this weekend in exchange for a braid down :lol:

I regularly wash my hair the day before (very gently mind you) then relax the following day, and many ladies do a similar process with zero burning/scabbing, this is essential to me as it enables very soft new growth and it's just easier to part the hair. However where you are relaxing virgin hair it may be wise to be cautious and leave it a few days beforehand and blow-dry the hair for easy application.

I assume you want to texlax? That being the case use oils in the relaxer and just process for a shorter amount of time.

The big question now is the type/brand of relaxer you're going to use. Would strongly suggest a salon/professional brand.
I have no idea which brand im going to use. My natural hair is High porosity and is a bit wiry. But i dont think it will be resistant. I ont want to texlax i want it relaxed but not bone straight.

Finally relaxed my hair:toocool:

I literally ran out halfway through the last section :mad:

My hair was thirsty as hayle. I don't think I'm gonna wait as long next time. That relaxer was literally sitting on top of my head until I started being more generous with the application process.

And I finally fixed the texture of the back of my head :clap::clapping::cup:

The new formulation of Vitale Sensitive Scalp worked suuuper quick. I applied it like 4 minutes or so (per section. I split it into 4 parts and did each one separately)and was ready to rinse almost as soon as I finished applying.

Time to go deep condition.
I need a pic!!!

Well... I moved and don't have a relaxer stylist I trust. So, I'm going to go back to the Sally's route. The closest Sally's to me is 40 mins away.

I will go back to Silk Elements. I start with 'mild' and then go over it with 'regular'. So, I basically use two strengths to achieve my desired look.

The tricky part .. is I'm greying and I don't know if I want to go natural and just color yet.

So, I found a yt salon nearby that has olaplex and made an appointment for partial highlights. I'm in a bob, which I want to grow out to a long bob. But, at this point my hair is short enough that I feel comfortable seeing how it goes.

Plan is self relax - 1 week later color and olaplex treatment at salon/ with cut.

keeping my fingers crossed!

Do u guys use a heavy heavy protein the week after relaxing? I have some DRC.
So after I posted this I read some really old threads on here and other info on the net. I'm going to hold off on the strong protein till a few washes after my relaxer. From what I read and remember doing a strong protein so early after a relaxer can cause reversion.

I washed my hair today. I used J'Monique Tea tree shampoo bar, 2min aphogee and DC for 30mins with tressume.

For my style I did a wng. The products I used was KCNT and KCC. It came out really soft. Tomorrow I will apply Giovanni serum.

Wash day was such a breeze!!

Attachments

• rps20170705_223253.jpg
    rps20170705_223253.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24
Imma need you to stop playing with my emotions! lol I'm still stuck on you not relaxing back in April! Imma work on letting this go, since it's been hot outside! lol
I'm gonna work on it I swear! It's just been hot and I have a bunch of chaos happening so I've just been spraying with my X21 and putting it in a ponytail.

My scalp has been itching, last night I applied a lot of castor oil to it in preparation for my relaxer on Saturday. My nape has always been an itchy/irritable area, I know I'm not supposed to use oils with herbs but I had to give a good scratch and use some vatika oil back there this morning. This itching has subsided. I would like to get a rollerset done with my relaxer because I don't know how much volume or lack there of I'll have when I relax and my stylist doesn't know how to use the flt iron in such a way to create volume and curls.

I asked yesterday and she said yes :giggle: I think I might do these once a month until November. Wash> protein treatment> deep conditioner> blowdry and braid up. I'm also only crocheting the perimeter so this is like the lowest manipulation possible.
Sweet!

I have a little more than a week before I go back to work, and I have just been co-washing and wearing a turban. Yep...I'm that lazy. I guess I'll relax before I go back; I've got quite a bit of new growth, so...I guess. :look:

So after I posted this I read some really old threads on here and other info on the net. I'm going to hold off on the strong protein till a few washes after my relaxer. From what I read and remember doing a strong protein so early after a relaxer can cause reversion.
Interesting, I didn't know about this. I think I did a hard protein treatment the week before my relaxer last time. My hair loves/needs protein so I need to make it a regular part of my routine

Interesting, I didn't know about this. I think I did a hard protein treatment the week before my relaxer last time. My hair loves/needs protein so I need to make it a regular part of my routine
Same here... when I was relaxed I always used protein and my hair liked it. I'd use Emergencee a lot. As a natural I still used Emergencee and loved how it made my curls spring and feel more elastic on wash day. I feel over the years they've diluted the original Emergencee though.

Same here... when I was relaxed I always used protein and my hair liked it. I'd use Emergencee a lot. As a natural I still used Emergencee and loved how it made my curls spring and feel more elastic on wash day. I feel over the years they've diluted the original Emergencee though.
Yeah I had read a lot of posts worrying about protein overload, that light protein is enough for them, etc. I even jumped on the cassia bandwagon as it was supposed to be like a protein treatment. My hair was acting funny for a while. Finally I slapped some aphogee 2-step on my hair and it got it's life back. So I finally learned my hair just needs a lot of protein and I need to keep the heavier ones a regular part of my rotation.

Yeah I had read a lot of posts worrying about protein overload, that light protein is enough for them, etc. I even jumped on the cassia bandwagon as it was supposed to be like a protein treatment. My hair was acting funny for a while. Finally I slapped some aphogee 2-step on my hair and it got it's life back. So I finally learned my hair just needs a lot of protein and I need to keep the heavier ones a regular part of my rotation.

In the end you have to do what works for you. I hear lots of suggestions on here that I know I couldn't implement myself.

Back