Relaxed Hair Regiment & Products

DominicanBrazilian82

Hiya!!!

I am a self-relaxer who does nothing more than relax, condition and style. I want to start protecting my hair (and scalp) more. So, I am asking my LHCF Professors to assist me with their regiment and products they use for their "relaxer day"...

I searched for a "Relaxer Regiment" thread and didn't find one specific to this request. :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NappyNelle said:
Here is a thread that shares relaxed hair regimens and routines: CALLING ALL RELAXED LADIES!!!

Hopefully more ladies from the relaxed thread will share their current / updated routines as that thread is from 2010. HTH!

Not as informative as I would've hoped! But thank you. Are you relaxed? What exactly is your regiment?

Sorry DominicanBrazilian82, but I'm natural. I don't remember what my routine was when I was relaxed, but it should've included more protein. :lol: I made it to BSB and then transitioned.

I was hoping that thread would bring a little help, but since it's so old, I'm sure regimens have changed. Plus, it's helpful to see the relaxer-day routine.

If you'd like to see tips specifically for 'Relaxer Day', this thread is very helpful: Self Relaxer Support It really helped my cousin to see the little things that she was missing.

I'll tag some of my favorite relaxed ladies to see if they can help:
sunnieb divachyk againstallodds prospurr4 Napp shortdub78 Nix08IDareT'sHair

Last edited:
DominicanBrazilian82, my overall regimen includes minimal protein because I'm protein sensitive with low porosity hair. My regimen is detailed in my LHCF blog. I moisturize/seal 2x daily. I wash 1x weekly and steam my DCners. I protective style often to protect my ends. I am not a long term stretcher. I average 8-10 weeks stretch. To prep for relaxer, I wash 1 week ahead and protein treat if needed. I either roller set or air dry. If I opt for air drying, I'll lightly flat iron my roots to knock out some of the kink and bulk. This helps the stylist navigate my hair easily on TU day, thereby minimizing breakage. The night before TU, I spritz my ng with water to bring back some of the wave that was lost during flat ironing. I base my scalp really well with using both vertical and horizontal parts. I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base.

divachyk said:
DominicanBrazilian82 I am not a long term stretcher. I average 8-10 weeks stretch. To prep for relaxer, I wash 1 week ahead and protein treat if needed. I either roller set or air dry. If I opt for air drying, I'll lightly flat iron my roots to knock out some of the kink and bulk. This helps the stylist navigate my hair easily on TU day, thereby minimizing breakage. The night before TU, I spritz my ng with water to bring back some of the wave that was lost during flat ironing. I base my scalp really well with using both vertical and horizontal parts. I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base.

Thank you! This will be very helpful for those who frequent the salons for their TU.

For my self relaxing ladies of LHCF, what do you prep you hair and scalp with before application, what products and relaxers do you use, as well as what do you do after applying the relaxer?

DominicanBrazilian82, you're welcome.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think protecting the hair would likely be the same for self relaxing or salon relaxing since the overall goal in both instances is to protect the hair from overlapping and/or overprocessing. You should frequent the self relaxer thread or the relaxed hair thread for suggestions. Nix08 and Sunnieb are self-relaxers. Perhaps they will chime in and answer you from a self relaxer perspective. ETA: I once was a self relaxer but am no longer. I self relaxed before my LHCF days but still protected my hair the same. BTW, I also coat my length with oil to protect against product.

Last edited:
divachyk said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think protecting the hair would likely be the same for self relaxing or salon relaxing since the overall goal in both instances is to protect the hair from overlapping and/or overprocessing. You should frequent the self relaxer thread or the relaxed hair thread for suggestions. Nix08 and Sunnieb are self-relaxers. Perhaps they will chime in and answer you from a self relaxer perspective.

You ladies are awesome :)

divachyk said:

ETA: I once was a self relaxer but am no longer. I self relaxed before my LHCF days but still protected my hair the same. BTW, I also coat my length with oil to protect against product.

This is some of the information I'm gaining. Some women coat with oil others with moisturizers. This is extremely helpful. I will definitely coat my hair with something when I do my next relaxer. Makes sense :)

Welcome! Here's my regular hair routine:

Shampoo/DC 1x a week; co-wash 3-4x a week; always airdry; No direct heat; self-relax with Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp every 15 weeks.

My Products:

Shampoo: Suave Daily Clarifying(1x a week); Nexxus Therappe (weekly)

Deep Conditioners (always add 1tbsp honey and evoo <heated in microwave for 12 seconds before mixing with conditioner>): Nexxus Humectress/Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor

Co-wash Conditioners: Garnier Fructis/Herbal Essences and WEN Fig

Leave Ins: ORS Carrot Oil, African Royale Hot Six Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, NTM Silk Touch Leave-In, Rusk Smoother

For self-relaxing:

Check out my self-relaxing album - http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

For the most part I don't have a set in stone regimen however this is what I do:
Cowash almost daily (I only don't if time doesn't permit it). I use AOHSR up to about 6 weeks post then I use AORM.
I airdry exclusively with my hair hanging down straight and I finger detangle as it's drying. I do not use a comb until about 6/7 weeks post and then I use a wide tooth seamless comb to only stretch my new growth but finger detangle the rest of my hair.
Before I cowash I will often apply product: a mix of tea's (quite the variety) and a DC for minutes to hours on dry hair (with various AO conditioners or Millcreek ones for protein or giovanni 50:50). I use protein at least twice a week (Millcreek biotin, keratin or henna. AOIN or AOGPB or AOBC) I always do dry dc's and that's up to 4 times a week.
When I cowash I also oil rinse (blend of oils i have with the main ingredient being wgo) and do a tea rinse. I end my wash with a tea and aloe vera juice rinse which I leave in . Then I apply my leave in and seal with oil (beauty without cruelty leave in and Gleau oil blend).
I steam in my dc about once a week.
I use shampoo about once a month (elucence clarifying).

Since you specifically asked about relaxer day which takes me a solid 1.5-2 hours
I self relax every 8-12 week with mizani bb
When I relax I don't prep my scalp I use oil and/or vaseline on the previously relaxed ends. I do a mid protein step. a few lathers of neutralizing poo as well as use acv rinse. I keep my hair hanging straight the whole time. Then I get out and DC being sure to apply avg to my scalp then my conditioner and oils and steam for about 10 minutes. Hope back in the shower. Poo wash again and condition and end with an acv rinse again.

I often will cowash the day before or will not if I've flat ironed my roots in prep for the relaxer (my hair takes better if I flat iron but I'm sometimes too lazy to do that). I will cowash again starting the following day after a relaxer.
I wear my hair in buns generally. If I want an out style I use various quantities of bantu knots overnight. If I'm going out and need to be fancy I use my beloved caruso rollers.
I think that's it:grin:

Last edited:
My relaxed Reggie will be ( unless some tells me I'm doing something wrong)
Wash with Wen weekly
DC after wen follow with a moisture DC
Use protein condish biweekly (after wen before moisture DC)
CoWash once a week using what I have on hand includes( suave almond n shea, Aussie Moist, tresemme naturals, kerapro condish, )
Moisturize and seal daily with either E QP mango butter, Baba De Caracol, ORS olive hair lotion)
Oils to seal EVOCO, JBCO, jojoba oil, wheat germ oil, Vatika, Africa's best herbal oil or sweet almond oil
Bun daily and tie down at night
Suggestions welcomed :)

The condish that I own that contains protein are
Kera Pro Restorative treatment
Elasta QP Fortifying Treatment
AO GPB
Megatek
Mendex Hair Repair Treatment
Baba de Caracol intensive Treatment
Silicon mix
GroHealthy Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
One n Only hydrating Mask
Both Nubian Heritage masque 's
OK that's it are these strong enough
Oh and I'm waiting on Giovanni Nutrafix from vitacost:)

lamaria211 I don't use any strong proteins so what you have should be sufficient. Try doing wet strand tests regularly so that you get a feel for how often you may need protein. Also, I find that if my hair is taking longer to dry then I am probably lacking protein.

Hiya!!!

I am a self-relaxer who does nothing more than relax, condition and style. I want to start protecting my hair (and scalp) more. So, I am asking my LHCF Professors to assist me with their regiment and products they use for their "relaxer day"...

I searched for a "Relaxer Regiment" thread and didn't find one specific to this request. :)

wel im transitioning now but the times i self relaxed it when something like this. i have alot of steps!

-pre section hair the night before into small twists.
-base scalp with vitale base creme
-cover ends with petro based product.(i used apex pressing oil because i have so much to it siting around)
-quickly apply vitale relaxer starting 2 inches above the nape. i relax the nape and edges last and apply my relaxer in one sitting.
-smooth starting from last applied i smooth relaxer in. then i really focus on the edges and nape making sure they get straight.
-rinse out thoroughly after 20 mins(app+ smoothing)
-apply vitale positive conditioner and let sit for 5 minutes.
-then add neutralizing shampoo on top. i used EQP soy oyl.lather twice.
-then follow up with vitale corrective conditioner for 10 mins with heat. -then i rinse and apply razac leave in and heat protectant and blow dry and flat iron.

it was alot of work to self relax. i dont think i can go back to doing that whole process again. but i loves me some vitale products:yep:

every week i wash n set with mainly vitale products and razac leave in. thats pretty much it. i might flat iron about once a month.

Nix08 said:
Since you specifically asked about relaxer day which takes me a solid 1.5-2 hours
I self relax every 8-12 week with mizani bb
When I relax I don't prep my scalp I use oil and/or vaseline on the previously relaxed ends. I do a mid protein step. a few lathers of neutralizing poo as well as use acv rinse. I keep my hair hanging straight the whole time. Then I get out and DC being sure to apply avg to my scalp then my conditioner and oils and steam for about 10 minutes. Hope back in the shower. Poo wash again and condition and end with an acv rinse again.

I often will cowash the day before or will not if I've flat ironed my roots in prep for the relaxer (my hair takes better if I flat iron but I'm sometimes too lazy to do that). I will cowash again starting the following day after a relaxer.
I wear my hair in buns generally. If I want an out style I use various quantities of bantu knots overnight. If I'm going out and need to be fancy I use my beloved caruso rollers.
I think that's it:grin:

This info is exactly the info I am seeking (Relaxer Day Regimen). I guess that's what I should've titled it. Your info was very vivid. So far the info I've gained is:

Base Scalp
Moisturize ends and hair (to protect)
Apply Relaxer
Rinse Relaxer
Protein Treatment
Neutralize
Shampoo (if desired)
DC
Conditioning Rinse
Style

Napp said:
wel im transitioning now but the times i self relaxed it when something like this. i have alot of steps!

-pre section hair the night before into small twists.
-base scalp with vitale base creme
-cover ends with petro based product.(i used apex pressing oil because i have so much to it siting around)
-quickly apply vitale relaxer starting 2 inches above the nape. i relax the nape and edges last and apply my relaxer in one sitting.
-smooth starting from last applied i smooth relaxer in. then i really focus on the edges and nape making sure they get straight.
-rinse out thoroughly after 20 mins(app+ smoothing)
-apply vitale positive conditioner and let sit for 5 minutes.
-then add neutralizing shampoo on top. i used EQP soy oyl.lather twice.
-then follow up with vitale corrective conditioner for 10 mins with heat. -then i rinse and apply razac leave in and heat protectant and blow dry and flat iron.

it was alot of work to self relax. i dont think i can go back to doing that whole process again. but i loves me some vitale products:yep:

every week i wash n set with mainly vitale products and razac leave in. thats pretty much it. i might flat iron about once a month.

I've learned to absolutely love these hair care processes... They excite me! But that's because I am really eager about growth.

But I'm sure after I get to where I want to be, things that were exciting, will feel like work :)

I self-relax every 4 months using the Zan&Rob method.
Every 6 weeks Aphogee 2 Step

Monthly
Fingercomb hair to remove tangles before washing using Roux Porosity, rinse
Prewash with hair oils. Leave on overnight.
Wash once a month with Asiam Cleansing Pudding
Henna treatment once a month. Leave on for 4-5 hours
Next condition with Virgin Hair Fertilizer Deep Penetrating conditioner or ION Reconstructor for 30 minutes under dryer and then rinse.
Next apply Cortex Hair Repair Argan Oil conditioner for 30 minutes or overnight with plastic cap.
Next day, rinse and proceed with Greenhouse Effect. Starting next month I will be wearing my own hair using braidouts. Prior to this I was wearing half wigs with my hair braided up.

Weekly/Bi-Weekly
Fingercomb hair to remove tangles and to prevent matting
Scratch scalp and apply hair oil

Daily
Every other day apply oil to scalp
GHE at PM spraying hair lightly with ph-leave in conditioner and then adding oils and butter to my hair paying attention to hair ends. Plait hair in 7 plaits with satin strips. Style in AM.

Adjust regime as needed.

Here's the link to all my relaxer day posts: http://www.justgrowalready.com/search/label/touch-up

In many I write what I do in steps and I think one of the posts has the videos I made on how I self-relaxer, prep steps included. G2G for now but I'll be back later to post what I do in this thread as well. HTH!

WOW!! Love your videos - and your relaxer technique. Do your fingernails get weak and yellow when using hands to apply relaxer? I'm considering using my hands as well, but I use Mizani Butter Blends LYE. No sure how the lye will affect skin and nails.:perplexed

baddison said:
WOW!! Love your videos - and your relaxer technique. Do your fingernails get weak and yellow when using hands to apply relaxer? I'm considering using my hands as well, but I use Mizani Butter Blends LYE. No sure how the lye will affect skin and nails.:perplexed

I use my hands (technically) with Linange lye. I do a rat tail application, but I do not use gloves.

The Week prior to relaxing I clean my hair well and make sure it's thoroughly cleansed and moisturized.

I also do a nice protein Rx on it and a moisturizing DC'er (Usually with Steam).

The week of:
Keep product usage to a minimum
about 2 days before: I lightly base my Scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp

The day of I
Apply: more Summit Sensitive Scalp
Apply: Oil usually Coconut on Length
Spritz: on length something with Keratin or Protein. Right now I'm using Neutral Protein Filler in a Spritz Bottle
In the Past I've used: Apoghee & Green Tea Keratin, Chi Silk Fusion, Joico Silk Results and Pure Keratin Oil

After the Relaxer is Rinsed Out I:
Apply a Protein Rx
Neutralize
Usually do an AE Garlic Rx or at the very least, I cowash with Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
Steam with something Moisturizing

IDareT'sHair said:
The Week prior to relaxing I clean my hair well and make sure it's thoroughly cleansed and moisturized.

I also do a nice protein Rx on it and a moisturizing DC'er (Usually with Steam).

The week of:
Keep product usage to a minimum
about 2 days before: I lightly base my Scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp

The day of I
Apply: more Summit Sensitive Scalp
Apply: Oil usually Coconut on Length
Spritz: on length something with Keratin or Protein. Right now I'm using Neutral Protein Filler in a Spritz Bottle
In the Past I've used: Apoghee & Green Tea Keratin, Chi Silk Fusion, Joico Silk Results and Pure Keratin Oil

After the Relaxer is Rinsed Out I:
Apply a Protein Rx
Neutralize
Usually do an AE Garlic Rx or at the very least, I cowash with Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
Steam with something Moisturizing

I love your relaxer regiment! I have applied a few of your items to my improved relaxer regiment.

Back