Relaxed and using henna

JJamiah

I would love to use some henna in my hair I am afraid of drying and the sorts. Ladies who are relaxed and Loving henna please chim in on if it has any bad side effects on the hair. And How you do it ;)

TIA

I am relaxed and loooove henna. It strengthens my hair and if I use a ton of conditioner to wash it out / dc well after, my hair is anything but dry. I do it about once every three weeks.. When I first started out, I used the Lush Caca Noir from Lush and that's still my favorite way of using henna because it comes pre-mixed / perfect.

I'm relaxed and I use Henna/Indigo on a Regular basis. I use Body Art Quality Henna "For African American and Chemically Treated Hair":yep:

I love the effects it has on my hair. And the Shine is incredible.:grin: It also has 'lasting' power and doesn't give you that dull look that sometimes bottle color can give.

I love it because it's Natural and I don't have to do it as often as I was doing my RInse/Semi-Permanent.

The only con (I find) is that it is time-cunsuming. But the overall rewards, for me, outweigh the time spent doing this process.:yep:

I absolutely love henna! It has definitely helped to thicken my hair and the shine is awesome! I haven't been doing it as often as I used 'cause, as T said, it is time consuming.

I absolutely love henna! It has definitely helped to thicken my hair and the shine is awesome! I haven't been doing it as often as I used 'cause, as T said, it is time consuming.

IA: For Me, the Overall "Benefits" simply outweigh the time invested.:yep:

It's been great. I prolly only do it every 4-8 weeks especially being under a wig, I can get away with doing it less often.:look:

I am relaxed and loooove henna. It strengthens my hair and if I use a ton of conditioner to wash it out / dc well after, my hair is anything but dry. I do it about once every three weeks.. When I first started out, I used the Lush Caca Noir from Lush and that's still my favorite way of using henna because it comes pre-mixed / perfect.

Sounds great would I be able to get this at the indian mart?

Now that is what I like :yep:
I'm relaxed and I use Henna/Indigo on a Regular basis. I use Body Art Quality Henna "For African American and Chemically Treated Hair":yep:

I love the effects it has on my hair. And the Shine is incredible.:grin: It also has 'lasting' power and doesn't give you that dull look that sometimes bottle color can give.

I love it because it's Natural and I don't have to do it as often as I was doing my RInse/Semi-Permanent.

The only con (I find) is that it is time-cunsuming. But the overall rewards, for me, outweigh the time spent doing this process.:yep:

Where could I pick this up from? this is why I would love to use it I want something more natural to use.

Thanks so much ladies for your help.

Now that is what I like :yep:

Where could I pick this up from? this is why I would love to use it I want something more natural to use. Thanks so much ladies for your help.

I get mine from: Mehandi.com -- Make sure you get the Body Art Quality Grade it doesn't have the compounds/deposits in it that can potentially damage 'treated hair'.:yep:

I don't use henna, but I've really been wondering about this ever since I noticed that my phyto box says not to relax previously henna'd hair :-/ I wonder why....

I LOVE henna and I am relaxed! I do oil pre-poos before I henna, and mix my henna with oils to make a mayonnaise like consistency! It came out great! Body Art Quality Henna (BAQ) is cheaper at indian markets (stores). I have used Jamila and Reshma brands with success! The Reshma was $3.99 for 200 g which is 2 applications for me and I have APL hair now! My avatar pic is after henna and a rollerset. I just wait either 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after a relaxer to henna! And I try to do it monthly.

I don't use henna, but I've really been wondering about this ever since I noticed that my phyto box says not to relax previously henna'd hair :-/ I wonder why....

Thank you for posting this Solitude! I use Phyto and I was thinking about using henna. I guess that's out. I need something to cover this grey - it's driving me nuts!! And my grey laughs hysterically at semi-permanently color!!

bumping....

i've read in alot of other threads where many ladies have questions about this, so maybe this thread got lost.....bumping for visibility....

I just posted in another thread, here's a copy and my complete regimen added.

I henna every other week but sometimes every week and when I'm really busy or just lazy, once a month.

I mix my henna with just yogurt, the greek or turkish ones.
section my hair into 6 bantu knots and apply it to each bantu knot. when my whole head is coverd in baby poo (that's what my cousin call it) I untie all the bantu knots and wrap my hair in saran wrap, a plastic cap over it and a scarf and will let it sit overnight. In the morning I will rinse gently first just with water and then 2 times with a cheapie conditioner to get it all out. I then apply my deepconditioner and sit under the dryer for 30min. and 'WALLA' soft moisturized hennad hair.

Originally Posted by grow
Taz007, thanks for starting this thread!

i've been looking in my files but cannot seem to find (yet) the thread where i read a lady was using mayonaise in her hennas!

i know some also use milk, as well as aloe vera juice.

i have a henna related question:

i was just reading on some of the perm boxes where it says NOT to apply perm to hair that has had henna or metallic salts in it.

i've been explained that "metallic salts" refers to henna that IS NOT body art quality, so that's not my precaution, but where they say not to use on hair that has any type of henna has me concerned.

Before I started using henna, I did some major research, read the complete henna for hair website and asked a lot of questions there and on other forums.

As long as u are using body art quality henna, henna can only be an added bonus to your hair, whether relaxed, texlaxed or natural. I guess they put it on the relaxer box just to be safe because a lot of people don't look into what they are really buying and put on there hair. When using henna that contains ppd, it will literally melt ur hair away. Trust me I have read all the horror stories.

In my search of body art quality henna and/or indigo I actually ran into more boxes of (natural) henna/indigo that contain ppd than boxes that contain real pure henna.

In my opinion, always stay away from boxes that say 'black henna' because they contain ppd and they don't always (have to) list it in the ingredients. There is no such thing as black henna. Henna comes only in a red/orange color, by adding different ingredients to it like beer, tea, lemon and such u can get a slightly different color, lighter or darker.

I only use maroccan henna in the yellow box or fresh henna that I get from an moroccan friend. Her aunt makes it herself by just drying the leaves and grinding them.

Sometimes I will go to a mediterranean market and buy fresh henna from those herbs and spices vendors from Egypt, Iran and India.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps

I just did my first henna treatment 2 weeks ago and I am in love. It was mixed by a friend from India and I am loving the results. My hair is stronger feeling for sure and as for being drying once I dc'd that feeling was gone. The biggest downside for me was having it on my hair for 3 hours after it was applied but that was only because I had to drive home with hair swirled around my head with what looked to be mud.

Thank you for posting this Solitude! I use Phyto and I was thinking about using henna. I guess that's out. I need something to cover this grey - it's driving me nuts!! And my grey laughs hysterically at semi-permanently color!!

You can use BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna with relaxed hair. I have been using BAQ henna with my Phyto relaxer for a little over a year with beautiful results.

Go 'head. Try it! :drunk:

I would love to use some henna in my hair I am afraid of drying and the sorts. Ladies who are relaxed and Loving henna please chim in on if it has any bad side effects on the hair. And How you do it ;)

TIA

Apply 1 week post relaxing. You need to add your favorite oil to the henna, about 1 tbsp. for a whole-head treatment. I use melted cocoa/shea/olive oil. Do not use lemon juice, salt nor essentials oils (terpenes to cause the dye release) as these can further dry out hair. The dye will release without adding those. Do not leave in hair more than 4 hours. Try to keep it in 2 hours or less and work on building up the color in weeks to come...every 2-3 weeks or so, depending upon your own results. If you do it very often, only leave in 1 hour then rinse.

To remove henna, saturate with a watery moisturizing conditioner like VO5. It's simply the best to loosen it up for an easy rinse. You can get Pantene hair masks in the little jar that add great moisture after rinsing out your henna treatment. Suave Humectant and conditioning mask that boosts moisture is what you need to get (Neutrogena Triple Moisture etc.). If possible, use a heating cap or steam cap to boost results.

Most importantly, listen to your hair. You might not need to apply hard protein treatments but once in a while but using deep moisturizing treatments more often. I had several fails before realizing it was lemon juice that was wrecking my results. And this is just my opinion, but I think that people are leaving henna in too long. I don't know women from the Middle-east who leave this treatment in overnight nor upwards of 4 hours. Many use once weekly for one hour treatments. I believe the dryness comes from overusing it.

Edit: forgot to agree with using BAQ. DO NOT USE Mehendi from Goodrej or Indica unless you have small resistant areas to apply it to. It's ppd dye which is like Bigen and can cause horrid dryness for relaxed and even untreated hair.

Apply 1 week post relaxing. You need to add your favorite oil to the henna, about 1 tbsp. for a whole-head treatment. I use melted cocoa/shea/olive oil. Do not use lemon juice, salt nor essentials oils (terpenes to cause the dye release) as these can further dry out hair. The dye will release without adding those. Do not leave in hair more than 4 hours. Try to keep it in 2 hours or less and work on building up the color in weeks to come...every 2-3 weeks or so, depending upon your own results. If you do it very often, only leave in 1 hour then rinse.

To remove henna, saturate with a watery moisturizing conditioner like VO5. It's simply the best to loosen it up for an easy rinse. You can get Pantene hair masks in the little jar that add great moisture after rinsing out your henna treatment. Suave Humectant and conditioning mask that boosts moisture is what you need to get (Neutrogena Triple Moisture etc.). If possible, use a heating cap or steam cap to boost results.

Most importantly, listen to your hair. You might not need to apply hard protein treatments but once in a while but using deep moisturizing treatments more often. I had several fails before realizing it was lemon juice that was wrecking my results. And this is just my opinion, but I think that people are leaving henna in too long. I don't know women from the Middle-east who leave this treatment in overnight nor upwards of 4 hours. Many use once weekly for one hour treatments. I believe the dryness comes from overusing it.

Edit: forgot to agree with using BAQ. DO NOT USE Mehendi from Goodrej or Indica unless you have small resistant areas to apply it to. It's ppd dye which is like Bigen and can cause horrid dryness for relaxed and even untreated hair.

i am sooooo glad i read this and i thank you for posting it because even though i had forgotten the name, reading what you wrote reminded me of it!

IT'S PRECISELY MEHENDI that so many ladies have raved about as being good for our relaxed hair!

omgee, if i had not read this, i would have surely ordered from them.

is there a site that you know of which does not have the ppd in the henna and is good for relaxed hair?

thank you, again!

I was JUST thinking about doing a henna treatment today. I hve a box of Mehandi left over from about 2 years ago I was gonna use. I only hennad as a natural tho.

JJ, i thought you already used henna?!

whatever it is, your hair sure looks pretty!

No I use Revlon Color Silk :D :giggle:
I'd love to use Henna, I am just a bittie confused :confused:
I want to die it black :D

Ladies can I buy any of these things Locally ?

Thanks for such great detail, I was mixing in my head.

I love Jojoba Oil :D :yep: that would be my mix oil (is this okay?)
I'd love to pick it up locally and henna my hair every 2 weeks, :D

i am sooooo glad i read this and i thank you for posting it because even though i had forgotten the name, reading what you wrote reminded me of it!

IT'S PRECISELY MEHENDI that so many ladies have raved about as being good for our relaxed hair!

omgee, if i had not read this, i would have surely ordered from them.

is there a site that you know of which does not have the ppd in the henna and is good for relaxed hair?

thank you, again!

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. It's rather confusing when you first start out but henna/hana is the product they use for mehendi temp. tatoos. It's the same plant. However, they mix with an oil in a paste and you don't want that little tube one for your hair. Just plain henna powder. The biggest confusion is that the ppd products call themselves mehendi and even some contain a very little amount of true henna. It's mostly chemical.

index.php

Bad ones:

http://www.hennausa.com/herbalhennablackhairdyec8.php
(read the descrip.)

I usually get mine in the Indian grocer or at Whole Foods as they have body quality henna in the jars.
http://www.amazon.com/Henna-Persian-Copper-Rainbow-Research/dp/B000VV2FZQ

Good Ones:

Try Jamila, Nupur, Reshma, Hesh, Hana (Syrian) brandsor order from hennaforhair.com. They have the absolute best website on henna, it's chemistry, how to get desired results...for all hair textures. Awsome site.

Sooooo...iIf it's several ounces like 500 gms, it's real henna. It it's in those itty bitty packs with the sachets inside, ....WARNING.....not a good thing!

Last edited:
Thanks for such great detail, I was mixing in my head.

I love Jojoba Oil :D :yep: that would be my mix oil (is this okay?)
I'd love to pick it up locally and henna my hair every 2 weeks, :D

It certainly would be. Use any oil of your liking. You can even put in Hot Six or anything like that.

Okay I just ordered 5 bags of henna and 5 bags of indigo is this correct? for $78 bucks wow!

I guess you have to pay for healthy methods :cry2:

Also she told me not to use Oil :confused: she said 1:1 ratio of OJ and water

i believe this is referring to the henna compound w/added chemicals which everyone should stay away from... do what i did when i 1st started.... harvest some hair from a brush/comb let it sit in a henna mixture for a few hours or overnight, rinse and test the outcome... when i did this i tried to pull and break the hair but it was so strong from the henna i knew it was a GO for me to apply to my hair and i never looked back... henna is a mainstay for me & my hair!

Back