Relaxed and using henna

Okay I just ordered 5 bags of henna and 5 bags of indigo is this correct? for $78 bucks wow!

I guess you have to pay for healthy methods :cry2:

Also she told me not to use Oil :confused: she said 1:1 ratio of OJ and water
where did you get your henna from? that's too expensive... do you have any indian shops near you?
i like to add honey to my mixture for the moisture effect

i believe this is referring to the henna compound w/added chemicals which everyone should stay away from... do what i did when i 1st started.... harvest some hair from a brush/comb let it sit in a henna mixture for a few hours or overnight, rinse and test the outcome... when i did this i tried to pull and break the hair but it was so strong from the henna i knew it was a GO for me to apply to my hair and i never looked back... henna is a mainstay for me & my hair!

i feel like @Solitude, but i see your point, @Jas123 and think this is an excellent idea! thanks!

but before i order the henna to do the test drive on, is there any way i can be absolutely positive that it has no chemicals because my perm box says that, too.

i know it's been discussed in alot of threads, but better safe than sorry and to be safe, it's great to get alot of second opinions.

i feel like @Solitude, but i see your point, @Jas123 and think this is an excellent idea! thanks!

but before i order the henna to do the test drive on, is there any way i can be absolutely positive that it has no chemicals because my perm box says that, too.

i know it's been discussed in alot of threads, but better safe than sorry and to be safe, it's great to get alot of second opinions.
i totally feel you... when i 1st joined this forum henna was one of the 1st things i wanted to try but i was so scared... but i kept reading all these threads and positive reviews... but i was still scared... i was under the impression that henna would make your hair fall out especially if you were relaxed... i did a lot of research and was still scared.... it took me months & months to finally try it and like i said once i did the test i never looked back
get what they call BAQ henna... Body Art Quality henna... this is the henna that can be used safely on all types of hair (natural or relaxed or texlaxed etc...) and on the body (skin)... it's just pure henna nothing added to it then do the test i suggested... and always follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner as henna (whether considered a protein or not) acts like a protein... good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread because I've been another chicken when it comes to this but I still want to try.

How is this one for relaxed hair? Volver, i see you mentioned Nupur as one of the good ones to use but this one does have the word Mehendi on the package.

31r1fujxK3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pleading ignorance...what is henna & indigo and what does it exactly do? Does it dye the hair? Make it stronger? Is it like a rinse? Is it permanent? Please help me figure this out or point me in the right direction.

Great post OP...I have been thinking about Henna for my relaxed hair for a few weeks now. This thread is so timely! :yep:

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this Solitude! I use Phyto and I was thinking about using henna. I guess that's out. I need something to cover this grey - it's driving me nuts!! And my grey laughs hysterically at semi-permanently color!!

I also use Phyto Index 2 and I have no problems using BAQ Henna.

I was speaking to an Indian lady once and we talked about Henna and she said after leaving the henna in for a couple of hours she rinse it out with only water, so that's what I've been doing. I no longer use a cheap conditioner, just water and my hair comes out black and shiney with red highlights where the grey hair is. Love Henna

Have any relaxed heads used this henna:

reshma%20henna.jpg

This is the one that I bought locally. My box is slightly different and says nothing about for hair use only. I believe this is BAQ henna because it states on the box, "Used as a decorative due on palms and feet".

It also says "gives a beautiful golden hue to dark hair". Is golden just their way of describing red/orange?

Also my box is only 200gms, while @Volver_Alma_Gitana stated that anything below 500gms was suspect...Although alot of people rave about Jamila henna, and that comes in even smaller boxes.

Someone let me know if this is safe to use on relaxed hair.

Last edited:
I think other LHCF members have used Reshma henna with great results.

I think the size of the box does not matter ( I can only find 100g boxes, and all the brands I have tried - Jamila, Hesh- come in that one size). Just make sure the ingredient list says henna or pure henna or lawsonia inermis ( the latin name of henna).

HTH

I'm not using oil in my henna mix. Only henna and water, and a few drops of lemon juice. I always DC afterwards with a moisturizing DC. I used Motions Moisture plus last time.

Okay I just ordered 5 bags of henna and 5 bags of indigo is this correct? for $78 bucks wow!

I always add oil to my henna mix. It keeps my hair from drying out as much. Also stay away from lemon juice, avc,etc. They are not needed for the dye to release and tend to increase dryness.

I use henna, oil, water and a cheapie cond. I eyebally the oil and cond. usually about a few tablespoons of oil and abou 1/4 cup cond. the rest is water till it's a creamy smooth consistency.

How much do the bags weigh? If those are 100gram bags, this is quite expensive. I use Hesh Mehendi and a 100 g box costs 1.95 euros.

where did you get your henna from? that's too expensive... do you have any indian shops near you?
i like to add honey to my mixture for the moisture effect

I always add oil to my henna mix. It keeps my hair from drying out as much. Also stay away from lemon juice, avc,etc. They are not needed for the dye to release and tend to increase dryness.

I use henna, oil, water and a cheapie cond. I eyebally the oil and cond. usually about a few tablespoons of oil and abou 1/4 cup cond. the rest is water till it's a creamy smooth consistency.

How much do the bags weigh? If those are 100gram bags, this is quite expensive. I use Hesh Mehendi and a 100 g box costs 1.95 euros.

:bighug: sorry I have been MIA maybe only coming on for 5 minutes :(
I did cancel this order (spoke to one of the LHCF members on the phone) and she told me to go get some Lush from Macy's (which I have a credit card for ;) ) So you know, she also said it was a no mix :D I like that too, so I will go get some of this for October matter of getting there now ;)

I was buying it from http://www.mehandi.com/shop/order/index.html

I am relaxed and loooove henna. It strengthens my hair and if I use a ton of conditioner to wash it out / dc well after, my hair is anything but dry. I do it about once every three weeks.. When I first started out, I used the Lush Caca Noir from Lush and that's still my favorite way of using henna because it comes pre-mixed / perfect.

This thread is very interesting as I have been contemplating adding henna to my regimen. I'd love to cover up some greys and add some thickness to my thin strands. But, the whole process seems a little intimidating. I went on the LUSH website and saw the "cacas". It seems doable and not scary. I think I might try it but not sure which one. Right now, my color is a 4 but I wouldn't mind going darker. I'm wondering if I should get the noir, marron or brun. I don't want red hair but I'm thinking black hair might look "stark" on me. A dark brown would probably be nice. Also, do you get the same effects/benefits of regular henna using the LUSH product.

I bought and used the LUSH henna. So far my hair seems stronger. I'm not sure if it looks thicker, but it feels thicker.

I used the Caca Rouge Mama. I wonder how often should I apply henna to my hair? I really like it so far.

I did a henna yesterday where I mixed a capful of WGO, Proclaim Natural 7 oil to my Rashmi henna. The henna was purchased at this Indian Grocer near me. I also used a bit of my Lustrasilk Olive Oil cholesterol in the mix.
This new process helped to combat dryness that I had experienced the first time I tried it which was disastrously drying and breakage city.

Thanks for this thread because I've been another chicken when it comes to this but I still want to try.

How is this one for relaxed hair? Volver, i see you mentioned Nupur as one of the good ones to use but this one does have the word Mehendi on the package.

31r1fujxK3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for asking the same thing I wanted to know. I used this 2X and love the way it makes my hair feel, but have yet to do a touch-up texlax since I hennaed.

Maybe I will PM Baddison....she is the Nupur queen.

Thanks for asking the same thing I wanted to know. I used this 2X and love the way it makes my hair feel, but have yet to do a touch-up texlax since I hennaed.

Maybe I will PM Baddison....she is the Nupur queen.

Thanks for the review, I really liked the ingredients list in Nupur but that mehendi word stopped me from ordering it. I actually found Karishma at a local Indian grocer last Friday and did the process on Saturday/Sunday. It came out lovely for my very first try. I can't believe it took me sooooo long to actually take the henna plunge but my hair loves it. My mix contained black tea, amla oil and one egg which I mixed in right before applying. My hair is soo strong, feels thicker and I love the deep warm brown/burgandy tint it's given my hair. I'll be doing this once a month from now on and in place of my Nexxus Emergencee treatments I used to do after every relaxer. Since I started with Karishma I'm just gonna continue with it, but if I ever can't find it, I'll give Nupur a try.

My henna is on its way.. and after reading this thread.. I think I am back to being paranoid. LOL :perplexed I bought it from hennaforhair.com.....

.....hmmm... still paranoid. Dang it.. I knew I shouldn't of read this thread. Decisions.. Decisions. :drunk:

Great thread! I've got my henna, I'm going to take the plunge and start using it - perhaps this weekend! :D

I henna'd last night. I usually henna with Jamilla but tried some Hesh Brand that I bought from a local Indian market. I mixed it with chamomile tea and added honey right before using it. O-M-G!!! First of all, it rinsed out so easily, unlike the Jamilla that took lots of conditioner to get it all out. But, my hair was SO FRIGGEN SOFT, I squealed with delight in the shower. I don't know if it was the brand, adding honey, omitting lemon juice, mixing with chamomile tea or all of the above but, my hair feels strong AND soft at the same time. I LOVE IT!!!! Just thought I'd share because I was hesitant about trying a different brand.

I plan to henna this weekend with just henna and warm water. I've done it before with things mixed in but I want to try it in it's simplest form before deciding what, if anything I will add in next time.

This thread is very interesting as I have been contemplating adding henna to my regimen. I'd love to cover up some greys and add some thickness to my thin strands. But, the whole process seems a little intimidating. I went on the LUSH website and saw the "cacas". It seems doable and not scary. I think I might try it but not sure which one. Right now, my color is a 4 but I wouldn't mind going darker. I'm wondering if I should get the noir, marron or brun. I don't want red hair but I'm thinking black hair might look "stark" on me. A dark brown would probably be nice. Also, do you get the same effects/benefits of regular henna using the LUSH product.

It's funny.. the Noir doesn't really work to get my hair jetjetjet black because it is just a mix of indigo and henna. I've used Jamila henna mixed with conditioner and the Lush henna and I get the same results.
I grate the lush henna bar and mix it with water, leave it on for a good 4-5 hours, rinse it out really well with cheapie conditioner, shampoo, and DC with a moisturizing conditioner. I love how it leaves my hair.

Back