RANT: Sick of my hair!

fifi134

I am getting really bored with my hair. I'm a 4a BSL natural and have been toying with the idea of relaxing it or doing something drastic. I love my hair but its thickness is pissing me off. I can't dry bun my hair or throw everything up into a puff/pony anymore because it's too long and thick. As a result, this has caused me to become lazy with my hair. I don't even really style it like I used to. Sometimes my hair just doesn't wanna ack right :nono:. I dread having to wash it even though wash sessions are quick, because of the thickness.

I went to the salon yesterday (for the first time in 3 yrs) to get my hair straightened and trimmed. Although it looks nice, I'm already sick of it. I'm thinking of relaxing and cutting it to APL along with getting some bangs. My only fear is that my relaxed hair won't look as full and bouncy as my natural hair flat-ironed.

I'm also afraid that if I relax my hair, I won't be consistent with touch-ups because I hate relying on salons. Or that my hair won't react positively to relaxers. I also don't wanna wear any weaves/wigs just because. :look:

Usually, right now I'd be terrified of the aftermath of my hair interacting with heat, but I'm so over my hair that I don't care. I know I have to make up my mind because there aren't that many options but my hair is seriously annoying me right now. :ohwell:

If you ladies have any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Get a sew in lol. Or braids with extensions. Put your hair away until you feel better. Or! Cut it and color it. Spice it up a lil bit. If your hair isn't fun anymore, change it

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

dood! I was going through this yesterday! I'm just tired of looking at my hair and feeling my hair, and blahblahhhhhh lasdfjoaiejladjfk. My usual solution for this is to just wear my hair up for like a week or so, and then I'll start to miss my hair, want to play in it, etc. But I don't want to do that either! I think I look at it too much or something. At this point I'm kind of just sick of hair in general lol I need a break :/

Too long and thick? Can I have your problem? :lol:

Srsly though, maybe get some highlites or a new cut? Or you can get your hair cornrowed with no extensions added until you feel like messing with it again.

Too long and thick? Can I have your problem? :lol:

Srsly though, maybe get some highlites or a new cut? Or you can get your hair cornrowed with no extensions added until you feel like messing with it again.

tiffers :lachen: I didn't mean it like that but my hair can be a PAIN sometimes.

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!

I know what you mean about being too long and thick! I'd LOVE thinner hair lol Maybe you could get a new colour? Or braid/twist it up? When I'm sick of my big hair I love to put my hair in twists, it's a nice change of pace.

OMG I FEEL YOU.

Thats how I've been feeling except the exact opposite. I'm sick of my relaxed hair (very boring and typical-at least where I am from) yet don't want to deal with my very thick natural hair...grrr...

I'm with Tiffers...I would love that problem. I'm dealing with just about APL hair with see through ends that although it looks thick, it is shedding horribly and I have fine strands. Enough about my issues though...

I hope your agony ends soon. Do you have any hair accessories that you can doll your hair up with for a change? I can understand that experimentation can take a while for that amount of hair while trying to find something new, and the threat of ruining such beautiful locks isn't worth it.

How about putting it in smaller cornrows and buying a couple of wigs until you figure out what it is you really want to do with it?

Make sure you update with your final decision! with pics too!

How about getting someone to put your own hair into individual braids. That way you can style them and wash them without the hassle of having loose hair. When a braid looks fuzzy you can jut re-do that particular braid and then get the whole lot re-done once a month or so.

I wish that was me too lol..Im fiending for bsl(I have been apl since '09). But I was definitely thinking about cutting my hair and relaxing it only because of shrinkage. But I kind of kept the thought to myself. I just got a bsl kinky curly sew in and it made remember that I have a goal length!. So just twist /braid it up or get a long kinky curly weave.

When I was younger, I used to complain about my thick hair and my aunt would say just wait til you get older and you'll be wishing you had it. Well 20 years later here I am with not so thick hair. It's not that bad just the crown area is thinning from that dang DHT hormone. I did some research and just started taking Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettle to whip some DHT butt, so thick hair, I'm patiently waiting? Back to your issue, Bublin made a good point, try putting your own hair in braids until you decide what to do. Don't make a big decision in the heat of the moment and live to regret it later.

How about texlaxing/texturizing it? It'd thin it out a bit, but still allow you to have some curls and thickness when you straighten it.

Might be a happy medium. :)

I am getting really bored with my hair. I'm a 4a BSL natural and have been toying with the idea of relaxing it or doing something drastic. I love my hair but its thickness is pissing me off. I can't dry bun my hair or throw everything up into a puff/pony anymore because it's too long and thick. As a result, this has caused me to become lazy with my hair. I don't even really style it like I used to. Sometimes my hair just doesn't wanna ack right :nono:. I dread having to wash it even though wash sessions are quick, because of the thickness.

I went to the salon yesterday (for the first time in 3 yrs) to get my hair straightened and trimmed. Although it looks nice, I'm already sick of it. I'm thinking of relaxing and cutting it to APL along with getting some bangs. My only fear is that my relaxed hair won't look as full and bouncy as my natural hair flat-ironed.

I'm also afraid that if I relax my hair, I won't be consistent with touch-ups because I hate relying on salons. Or that my hair won't react positively to relaxers. I also don't wanna wear any weaves/wigs just because. :look:

Usually, right now I'd be terrified of the aftermath of my hair interacting with heat, but I'm so over my hair that I don't care. I know I have to make up my mind because there aren't that many options but my hair is seriously annoying me right now. :ohwell:

If you ladies have any advice, I'd appreciate it.

1st off: BIG HUG

2nd: I can't do any of those things either....2 years ago you wouldn't have told me I'd be wearing my hair in twists most of the time but hear I am...I have learned to appreciate myself with such a different day to day "look" -especially after wearing those beautiful, thick relaxed wraps for 20+ years....but hear I am....I honestly found this to work, my hair likes it, so I give my hair what it wants, and we get along fine....Its easier to bun, I can also wear cute updo's french rolls, and just so many things...When I get uber frustrated because my hair is having a DIVA MOMENT and will not act right, I hold her hostage in WL box braids, to give me a break from my hair...usually after 6-8 weeks I have gathered ideas for a fun way to wear my natural hair....
Yes many naturals can do lots of things with their hair....and some can't....you gotta FIND YOUR GROOVE.....

You may just need a break (I do it every summer) and wear a protective style that you don't have to worry about for a month or so...for me it was 8 weeks of freedom in those braids I told you about....But...

Don't relax. You WILL regret it later since you put in all this effort to become natural...only to get a couple years in the game and get frustrated....Its a journey that never ends...it gets better as you go along...but how will you get to enjoy more and more benefits of it if you quit before the fun part comes along?

BTW: People are posting their own rants about WISHING for THICK hair!:yep: And you got the goods already, and are not enjoying it....! Come on boo! Work with what you've been blessed with! Do some more research on styles and get to practicing...everything in time!:drunk:

A'ight FiFi, you better not do anything drastic like cut your hair! Do you know how many naturals want BSL length hair? HUH?????!:lol::lachen: Be careful with whatever choice you make and please, post some pics!:yep:

How about trimming your natural hair an inch or two and cut some long layered bangs. See how you like that before you cut it to apl.

Also I wouldn't relax. Give it a few months and see if you change your mind before you add chemicals to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

How about texlaxing/texturizing it? It'd thin it out a bit, but still allow you to have some curls and thickness when you straighten it.

Might be a happy medium. :)

I second this motion:look::lol: I texlaxed my hair a few weeks back due to some of the same issues you're having. My hair is not as long as yours (roughly APL) but the thickness, ssks, tangles and knots were driving me crazy.

I texturized and i'm so happy I did. My hair is still ridiculously thick, however the volume has dialed down a notch and I can wash my hair without any complaints now. I really do think it is a happy medium between a relaxer and being natural :)

Back