Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

I think you should try again I'm 4a and 4b and was able to get my hair straight. Others on the board have been able to as well.

What was your method at doing it. I just thought enough tension will stretch it. My relaxed hair was straight, but that new growth was very obvious. I just put it in a ponytail. Someone at school said it looked silky but they must have been blind because it didn't look like that to me and my hair was wet when rolling it. It was so tight my scalp was sore

I agree you should try again. I can get my super kinky 4c almost relaxer straight but there's tricks to it.

.dripping wet hair
.a setting lotion that agrees with your ng
.very small parts probably half what you use for your relaxed hair. So that's double the rollers.
.more tension

Sometimes ive resprayed the rollers after install to ensure they are extra wet. Sitting under the dryer helps too.
Now I'm just in aww now. 4c? Like I seriously don't know what I did wrong. They were smaller and I even ran out the size that I was using and had to use a smaller size rollers. Maybe it needs to be dripping wet. So when you go to get under the dryer and some are drying up, do I re spray or it just matters if it goes on there dripping wet @DarkJoy

I agree you should try again. I can get my super kinky 4c almost relaxer straight but there's tricks to it.

.dripping wet hair
.a setting lotion that agrees with your ng
.very small parts probably half what you use for your relaxed hair. So that's double the rollers.
.more tension

Sometimes ive resprayed the rollers after install to ensure they are extra wet. Sitting under the dryer helps too.
@DarkJoy what setting lotion you use. I use silk elements leave in sealed with grape seed oil. I then used B&B setting lotion. Then when I rolled each piece, spray water on it and wrapped with a lot of tension. I seriously want to perfect this because I even talked about wanting to start flat iron and I don't use direct heat

I'm just going through the motions. I'm starting to feel like protective styles just look like you don't want to do your hair. Like in the past, I use to get roller sets every two weeks and wrap it and enjoyed wearing it out and being at a cosmetology school you see people glammed up. Even though I don't care to do flat irons weekly and really don't want to use direct heat, I miss wearing it straight and out. I feel like people look at me like " why she don't she ever have her hair done", even thought I plan and think about what protective styles I'm going to do

Last edited:
@DarkJoy what setting lotion you use. I use silk elements leave in sealed with grape seed oil. I then used B&B setting lotion. Then when I rolled each piece, spray water on it and wrapped with a lot of tension. I seriously want to perfect this because I even talked about wanting to start flat iron and I don't use direct heat
ohhhh that leave in probably made it not set/revert. Its probably water based. Cant use any product with water.

Lottabody is good on my natural and so it Mizani. I cant use anything else. No oils or anything. ESPECIALLY a leave in. I just dc real good before. Spray up a section with the lotion. Roll. If it dries up I got another sprayer of plain distilled water on hand.

Sounds like you had the right number of rollers and small parts though. After the set dries I put oil to maintain it.

You dont need to sit under the dryer but it does make it straighter. You can spray the whole set with the water before the dryer too.

ohhhh that leave in probably made it not set/revert. Its probably water based. Cant use any product with water.

Lottabody is good on my natural and so it Mizani. I cant use anything else. No oils or anything. ESPECIALLY a leave in. I just dc real good before. Spray up a section with the lotion. Roll. If it dries up I got another sprayer of plain distilled water on hand.

Sounds like you had the right number of rollers and small parts though. After the set dries I put oil to maintain it.

You dont need to sit under the dryer but it does make it straighter. You can spray the whole set with the water before the dryer too.

Yeah it does have water but I thought with it drying on the rollers it would dry how it set. I will try your way before I relax in 3 weeks

What was your method at doing it. I just thought enough tension will stretch it. My relaxed hair was straight, but that new growth was very obvious. I just put it in a ponytail. Someone at school said it looked silky but they must have been blind because it didn't look like that to me and my hair was wet when rolling it. It was so tight my scalp was sore

My roots didn't start getting straight until I positioned the roller on top of the section I was rolling. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly but I saw YouTube videos that recommended that.
Now if only I could get my coarser ends to lay flat then I would do roller sets all the time smh

My roots didn't start getting straight until I positioned the roller on top of the section I was rolling. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly but I saw YouTube videos that recommended that.
Now if only I could get my coarser ends to lay flat then I would do roller sets all the time smh
You roll up or down?

trying to put myself back into a protective style kick....been 3 weeks so far with a curly vixen sew-in....hope i don't drive myself crazy, i get so antsy with my hair up

I tried starting back on MSM yesterday. Totally forgot to start slow. I was so sick with nausea and headaches and I napped for four hours! Detox overload. I took the recommended amount today. That's what I get for using a regular spoon instead of a measuring spoon.

I had a dream I had a long thick ponytail that touched my back in a high ponytail. I was feeling myself. It wasn't touching the middle part of my back but probably the top quarter. It was good enough for me. I was mad it was a dream

I got sidetracked and didn't wash my hair tonight after all. Kinda annoyed because I wanted fresh hair tomorrow but it's gonna have to wait until after work because I am way too tired now. Smh

I really want to invest in a quality wig that resembles AA relaxed texture. Anyone know of a good brand/vendor for quality wigs?

These SSK's are driving me crazy. Gonna have to figure out a way to keep blow drying with heat in my wash days without murdering my fine strands.:nono:

I'm doing the roller set over. Just got through finished rolling it on smaller sections and rolling it dripping wet. I also rolled it up because I want it straight and don't care for body. About to do a hour and take a break and do another half our. I really hate dryers and can only do 20 minutes without getting extremely angry and aggravated. We will see

Idk about this...I just wrapped it and will take it out in the later on when I wake up, but I still don't think it will be straight. Maybe the image I got in my head is too straight. I want relaxer or flat ironed straight. I see some videos where the girls do the roller set and they say it's straight and I don't agree. Stretched but not straight.

Back