Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

I’m going to have to accept I may always be in a wig esp now as I see thinning and sparse areas bc of perimenopause. This hit me yesterday and it made me feel a lot. This may be cheeky and if you’re under 21 you close your eyes. Since I’m not married nor partnered even if someone came along the thought of such showing just makes me not want to even desire a man. I know all the cliche things but the truth is it matters. All these years of trying to have long hai and nothing. But I will count it all joy and be happy with the hair I do have.

I hope my optimism doesn't annoy you, :kiss: , I wanted to give you a ((BIG HUG)) and share my initial reaction to your post.

I keep thinking why can't you have both long hair AND do daily wig wearing?? Some of the longest, prettiest hair I've seen on hair boards (whether relaxed or natural) have been weave and wig wearers. They literally LIVE under them and maybe take their hair out once a year to do whatever process they do, straighten and length check. In fact, it was those women who inspired me early on in my HHJ to just leave my hair alone!! I believe any success that I've had has been largely due to that practice.

So you've got the leave your hair alone part down. Now we just need to figure out what your hair wants you to do in between your braid downs!
I truly believe that most of us can benefit from more moisture. I know ppl complain about moisture overload but I've found that that is easy to remedy. Protein overload or extreme dryness, however, are harder to fix and can take a while. So what can you do daily that would increase your moisture? Something that is low effort and you can do it when you get ready in the morning. Do you sleep in your wig? Maybe create a spray you can spritz on your hair before you attach your wig? If you glue your wig down for weeks at a time, maybe drench your braids, let them dry and then attach your wig. We've seen at least one lady benefit from just washing and DCing her hair only once a month.

For me, I watched many long haired ladies and learned that they often had things in common, even if they used different processes (no manipulation, lots of light protein vs. heavy protein txs, daily moisturizing, etc). So I tried to see which of those common processes I could incorporate into my own regi and watched how my hair responded. Personally, I would do a search of our old posts on here (too bad BHM is gone bc THOSE ladies had the key) and see if you can identify common practices that those wig ladies who grew to long lengths used. I remember the weave ladies used to swear by biweekly washing and DCing in their weaves using a pointed tip bottle with diluted poo and condish. The wig ladies who glued down, I recall, they only glued down the front and said that they lift their wigs to apply whatever scalp solution they were using daily and then biweekly, they would remove their wig, wash, DC and dry their braids and then reattach.

I just believe that there's no reason for you to not have the hair that you want! I just don't believe that there's a magic product that will do it but instead it's a magic process. Once you find whatever it is that makes your hair happy, you'll be off to the races!

Last edited:
I hope my optimism doesn't annoy you, :kiss: , I wanted to give you a ((BIG HUG)) and share my initial reaction to your post.

I keep thinking why can't you have both long hair AND do daily wig wearing?? Some of the longest, prettiest hair I've seen on hair boards (whether relaxed or natural) have been weave and wig wearers. They literally LIVE under them and maybe take their hair out once a year to do whatever process they do, straighten and length check. In fact, it was those women who inspired me early on in my HHJ to just leave my hair alone!! I believe any success that I've had has been largely due to that practice.

So you've got the leave your hair alone part down. Now we just need to figure out what your hair wants you to do in between your braid downs!
I truly believe that most of us can benefit from more moisture. I know ppl complain about moisture overload but I've found that that is easy to remedy. Protein overload or extreme dryness, however, are harder to fix and can take a while. So what can you do daily that would increase your moisture? Something that is low effort and you can do it when you get ready in the morning. Do you sleep in your wig? Maybe create a spray you can spritz on your hair before you attach your wig? If you glue your wig down for weeks at a time, maybe drench your braids, let them dry and then attach your wig. We've seen at least one lady benefit from just washing and DCing her hair only once a month.

For me, I watched many long haired ladies and learned that they often had things in common, even if they used different processes (no manipulation, lots of light protein vs. heavy protein txs, daily moisturizing, etc). So I tried to see which of those common processes I could incorporate into my own regi and watched how my hair responded. Personally, I would do a search of our old posts on here (too bad BHM is gone bc THOSE ladies had the key) and see if you can identify common practices that those wig ladies who grew to long lengths used. I remember the weave ladies used to swear by biweekly washing and DCing in their weaves using a pointed tip bottle with diluted poo and condish. The wig ladies who glued down, I recall, they only glued down the front and said that they lift their wigs to apply whatever scalp solution they were using daily and then biweekly, they would remove their wig, wash, DC and dry their braids and then reattach.

I just believe that there's no reason for you to not have the hair that you want! I just don't believe that there's a magic product that will do it but instead it's a magic process. Once you find whatever it is that makes your hair happy, you'll be off to the races!
Your optimism is always welcome. I think long natural hair and wigs can be a thing but I’m thinking nighttime is coupled. Me now alone there is no issue lol bonnet and vibes.

My hair I feel is Buddhist because silence and away is her way. I just see sparseness which has always been a thing since I was young.

I think my mind last night was seeing how much health hits hair, I’m realistic I know baby toe length may not be in the cards but a nice shoulder or more could be.

Your optimism is always welcome. I think long natural hair and wigs can be a thing but I’m thinking nighttime is coupled. Me now alone there is no issue lol bonnet and vibes.

My hair I feel is Buddhist because silence and away is her way. I just see sparseness which has always been a thing since I was young.

I think my mind last night was seeing how much health hits hair, I’m realistic I know baby toe length may not be in the cards but a nice shoulder or more could be.

You're a wig queen. I absolutely believe that you can get to SL! I'm thinking APL is a good starting goal ;)

We have been given the blessing of having all of the tools available to us right here on this board. Even if mental health gets in our way of hair care and we trend towards neglect, there's a way to protect your hair from that and still retain - in spite of it!
Your key is probably different from mine but someone on here has already given it to us and we just have to find it and apply it! <3

ETA: And another thing!! lol

A bonnet won't stop no show! Mister is not gonna care about no doggone bonnet! I have created two babies while wearing my bandana!
Shoot, even after 10 years together, he'll even ask me if I need to tie up my hair if I lay down without my head covered. :giggle:

Last edited:
You're a wig queen. I absolutely believe that you can get to SL! I'm thinking APL is a good starting goal ;)

We have been given the blessing of having all of the tools available to us right here on this board. Even if mental health gets in our way of hair care and we trend towards neglect, there's a way to protect your hair from that and still retain - in spite of it!
Your key is probably different from mine but someone on here has already given it to us and we just have to find it and apply it! <3

ETA: And another thing!! lol

A bonnet won't stop no show! Mister is not gonna care about no doggone bonnet! I have created two babies while wearing my bandana!
Shoot, even after 10 years together, he'll even ask me if I need to tie up my hair if I lay down without my head covered. :giggle:
The way I just screamed at the imagery. I do believe your correct it’s moreso dialing in even more. I’m the impatient queen but this has been life long.

I went to my little sister’s wedding this past weekend and met some new family members (we’re all over the place). One thing I noticed is that we ALL take good care of our hair. Other than the great-aunts and granny, we all have healthy longish (shoulder length) or long hair (APL or longer). I guess good hair care practices are the norm on that side of my family. It was nice to see.

I've tried a few different proteins recently. They have given my hair a completely different feeling.

The Loreal No Hair Cut Cream shocked me. I washed my hair well applied a bit of that cream and braided up. Then the following day I moisturised and retwisted. When I let it down it was soooo soft and just easy to grab and smooth into a bun etc... It also moved a lot compared to usual? I didn't know my hair could move and blow in the wind so much, but hey.

However I noticed a little snapping of the ends after a bit. I think my hair can't handle protein being left in. I may try the wash-out conditioner on a small patch of hair.

I bought the Nexxus Emergencee to try next. Completely different experience. My hair feels and looks thicker and more wiry? Robust is the word. No movement at all and my hair feels super puffy when I try to ponytail it. I wish I could have a mixture of the thicker feeling hair plus the swanging.

I'm so glad my hair is in these mini braids. It's one less stressor while my heart is so heavy for these babies partaking in d.rugs at an early age. Everybody scared to say something except for me, even the bus driver. Sometimes I just take a braid down to re braid it to have something to do with my hands, then I have to stop, cry and pray for them, they truly don't know what they are doing. LORD, I know You see everything, and at the appointed time You will make it happen. It just hurts Abba, to see them hurting themselves and dragging people down with them.

I went and gave Camille Rose a try. I bought 2 shampoos, a conditioner, a deep conditioner, leave-in, foam, and the famous Curl Maker.

I wouldn't buy a single thing again. I actually had to talk myself off of the ledge of trying another product like because I was so disappointed LOL!!

I really want to be loyal to one brand and use their line exclusively, but I haven't found that yet.

I'm sooo close though with the Doux and Miss Jessie's. And I have the same problem with both! It's that don't have a deep conditioner that works for me.

I went and gave Camille Rose a try. I bought 2 shampoos, a conditioner, a deep conditioner, leave-in, foam, and the famous Curl Maker.

I wouldn't buy a single thing again. I actually had to talk myself off of the ledge of trying another product like because I was so disappointed LOL!!

I really want to be loyal to one brand and use their line exclusively, but I haven't found that yet.

I'm sooo close though with the Doux and Miss Jessie's. And I have the same problem with both! It's that don't have a deep conditioner that works for me.

Why do you feel you need to stick to one brand?

Why do you feel you need to stick to one brand?
I tend to be a purist about things that I enjoy whether it's food or hair products :laugh:. I'll add one off products like a clarifying shampoo to my wash day line up, but that's only once every couple of weeks. But when I decide on what styler I want to use, that determines what product line I'm using. I used to mix and match when I first went natural because it seemed random what my hair liked and didn't. But since figuring out what ingredients my hair loves and which it can't stand, helped streamline the buying process.

The fact that almost every natural hair line is shea butter centered has saved my wallet, but makes my heart so sad :cry:

giphy.gif

Alright now @Prettymetty Happy Birthday.

This is so random but I find rolling hair so relaxing. I had an old synthetic wig that I love but the curls have left and saw a video of how to curl it again. Can’t wait to boil it and let it dry. I think rolling hair is such a old school art form.

This is so random but I find rolling hair so relaxing. I had an old synthetic wig that I love but the curls have left and saw a video of how to curl it again. Can’t wait to boil it and let it dry. I think rolling hair is such an old school art form.
Yes. Rolling hair is definitely a vintage luxury. Luckily I still get biweekly roller sets.

Yes. Rolling hair is definitely a vintage luxury. Luckily I still get biweekly roller sets.
Oh that is so cool. Like styles like a nice wrap or roller set was a vibe now the sleeping in rollers isn’t it minus the big long roller I see longer haired girls do. I was about to throw my rollers out but seeing how my curls turned out my wig collection is about to be fierce.

Back