Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I'm still a new user to this board {I joined last night} as I took a look around the site, I noticed that most people already have what I consider long hair from all of the pictures. So now I am confused...is this a site to help women achieve longer lengths by sharing hair tips, etc.(for those who don't have long hair) or is it a site for women to maintain the long hair they already got? I mean, is there anyone on here who started out with short to medium length hair and achieved longer lengths by following a specific system? From all the pictures I've seen, it seems like most of the people already had long hair [it is true that most people gain longer lengths of hair from your family genes]. Please clear it up for me.

I started with a short Halle Berry flip and have grown my hair to collarbone length in a little over a year with the tips and advice from all the women on the forum. There are women on this site who have a TWA (teenie weenie afro) to waist length hair, this site is for women of color who want to have and maintain healthy hair and grow their hair longer (which is the natural outcome of having healthy hair).

I hope you come to love it here as much as we all do.
smile.gif

Welcome Natori24
wave.gif
I would say its both. Helping women of color acheive long healthy hair and to keep it long and healthy. There are plenty of us on this board who don't have long beautiful healthy hair, but we want it. I myself have very short hair. My hair touches my neck and when I joined this board I had no hair on my sides or back because of damage and me not knowing the proper ways to take care of my hair,
smirk.gif
but since joining this board I've learned so much that my hubby and friends are surprised at how healthy my hair is, how soft it is, the length I've gotten and the fact that I have very little split ends.
bdance.gif
You will truly learn a lot from this site, but you also want to remember what works for some won't work for others.
smile.gif
You have to decide and find what works for you. I know I don't speak for myself, but I love this site and I'm thankful for all the advice that I've gotten.
cool.gif
Happy Hair Growing
bouncy.gif

Thanks for replying! Can anyone tell me if the hair tips are good for natural, pressed hair or just relaxed hairstyles?

I come to this board to find out how to keep my hair healthy. I'm not concerned about having long hair. It's keeping my hair healthy that's important to me. If it's healthy, it will grow anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Thanks for replying! Can anyone tell me if the hair tips are good for natural, pressed hair or just relaxed hairstyles?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tips for all of the above. You can do a search and find all kinds of tips.
smile.gif
I hope this helps.

Welcome to the site
smile.gif
everyone is welcome. I found it while i was doing a search for healthy hair tips (i'm a little obsessed about the healthy hair thing
wink.gif
) and i decided to join because although i didn't realize it my hair has been growing like crazy the whole time. While my main goal has always been keeping my hair healthy--my husband knows i'm the queen of asking "do you see a split end"--
look.gif
i wasn't paying too much attention to my length, but healthy hair and growth definitely go hand in hand. You will enjoy the tips and support that you will get from all the members
smile.gif
it's us girls and everyone is very supportive of each other. Alot of times unfortunatly most women of color are very reluctant to share tips and information on how they have acheived their length with each other. You won't find that here at all. This is a FOUNTAIN of information for all of us
grin.gif

LHCF is a site for both growing and maintaining healthy and long hair (not necessarily long hair for all members). When I joined this board last year, my hair was above my ears and about three inches in teh back (I was growing out a tapered cut). Now it is a couple of inches past my shoulders.

This site has tips for relaxed and natural sistahs.

Enjoy your time here.

Can someone tell me the products you use specifically to maintain healthy hair? I was going to start the Cathy Howse system after I take my braids out..but what are other hair systems you use?

I don't have a hair system per se, but I think that everyone should have the following things in their hair care arsenal:

[*]A moisturizing shampoo
[*]A moisturizing conditioner (use at every wash and during deep conditioning)
[*]A light protein conditioner (use every other wash/ every wash if having moderate breakage)
[*]A heavy-duty protein conditioner(use every 6-8 wks if having breakage problems, every 8-10 wks if not having serious breakage)
[*]A leave-in conditioner (apply after every wash, if using heat on hair make sure it contains a heat protectant)
[*]A wide tooth comb (use to detangle hair, even better get one that is seamless, even better than that make sure all your combs are seamless)
[*]A moisturizing agent to put on hair

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure others will fill in any gaps I've left.

[ QUOTE ]
candycane said:
ms kenesha,

don't forget the oils (olive, jojoba, etc.)

candycane

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks candycane
wave.gif

Oils:
jojoba is almost identical to human sebum which makes it a great oil for your scalp. If you feel like your scalp is dry, don't reach for grease....apply jojoba oil instead.
olive oil is great for a hot oil treatment and is great to mix in with your conditioners (esp. moisturizing ones) some even mix it in with their relaxers to retard the harshness. Some use it as a hairdress as well.
Coconut oil is a great oil some claim it helps to straighten their newgrowth and scientients have stated that coconut oil prevents protein loss in hair
http://www.coconut-info.com/links.htm andCocunut Oil and hair vs other oils
Castor oil is good for promoting hair growth and it's a humectant as well, but it's very thick so most have had success mixing it with jojoba or warming it up slightly

These are the only oils I use so maybe someone else can mention some more that I left out.
smile.gif

Thanks Ms Kanesha and to everyone else who have welcomed me to the board. But what do you suggest as a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner? I asked this on another post and most said they used Keracare, Elucence,or Nexxus Therappe...I want to find a new shampoo to use {in the past I used Creme of Nature} that doesn't contain sodium laurly sulfate.

Cream of Nature is a good one that I use an also QP is suppose to be good. I've heard Kenra doesn't contain SLS an it's good. What I've started doing is reading labels you'd be surprised I've found quiet a few that way.

I personally use Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo, Paul Mitchell Special Tea Tree Shampoo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo, and sometimes Creme of Nature. The Elucence is a personal favorite, the Paul Mitchell I only use on my roots because I know Tea Tree oil can be drying. The Elasta QP is a good inexpenisve choice and the Creme of Nature is an old standby.
smile.gif

welcome aboard Natori24! I know I have learned a lot from the ladies on this board and I know you will too.

Where can I find Elucence shampoo? I have never heard of that. Also, has anyone heard of a homemade conditioner that uses Monistat 7 (strange isnt' it) as one of the ingredients? Most people have never heard of it. This girl at the college I was attending said it makes your hair healthier all the while growing it.

welcome to the board, natori!
wave.gif

as some have said, not everyone here wants longer hair, but i think all of us have a goal of healthy hair.
smile.gif

i personally discovered the hair boards about 3½ years ago. at that time, my hair was barely scraping my shoulders. it had been the same length for years. for me, the key was to eliminate most of the heat out of my routine and to leave my hair alone (i was constantly blow drying, curling and styling it).

it also helps to find the products that work best for you. my favorite shampoo and conditioner are also KeraCare.

i wish you much success with achieving your goals!!

Re: My Thousandth Post-Thanks!

This is my thousandth post!

party2.gif

I just want to say thanks for all the hair tips and product recommendations I have recieved since joining this site on November 16, 2003-almost 4 months. As you can see, I am somewhat addicted to this site..and I happened to run across this site when I was doing a search on reviews of Cathy Howse's products...and I came across Pebbles' Feature of the Month. Unlike most, I didn't "lurk" before joining..which is why when I joined I had so many questions..I just signed up and haven't looked back since. Thanks to all the ladies who have been helpful in answering my questions and responding to my private messages.

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
candycane said:
ms kenesha,

don't forget the oils (olive, jojoba, etc.)

candycane

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks candycane
wave.gif

Oils:
jojoba is almost identical to human sebum which makes it a great oil for your scalp. If you feel like your scalp is dry, don't reach for grease....apply jojoba oil instead.
olive oil is great for a hot oil treatment and is great to mix in with your conditioners (esp. moisturizing ones) some even mix it in with their relaxers to retard the harshness. Some use it as a hairdress as well.
Coconut oil is a great oil some claim it helps to straighten their newgrowth and scientients have stated that coconut oil prevents protein loss in hair
http://www.coconut-info.com/links.htm andCocunut Oil and hair vs other oils
Castor oil is good for promoting hair growth and it's a humectant as well, but it's very thick so most have had success mixing it with jojoba or warming it up slightly

These are the only oils I use so maybe someone else can mention some more that I left out.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Natori24 for starting this thread when you first came to LHCF. I missed it until now.

I like this post by Ms Kenesha and links on the coconut oil - I didn't know it actually penetrates the hair shaft unlike the other oils mentioned and prevents protein loss. I'm putting some of my new unrefined, virgin coconut oil on my hair right now.

I absolutely LOVE unrefine Coconut oil Isis. I use it on my face and body too. It's the only oil that I feel that my hair actually absorbs....doesn't make it greasy either. Great for braidouts and for sealing moisture on ends.

I have 3.5 inches of curly fro- I did the big chop in June of 03. I hope to have not only healthy hair but i would like to gain another 3-6 inches by years end. I shampoo weekly with wondergro herbal shampoo, condition with cholesterol treatment or henna/placenta, deep condition with evoo, tea tree oil, carrot oil, sweet almond oil. Daily moisturizers- mane and tail hair strengthener and then profective antibreakage megamoisturizer, shea butter and various leave-in conditioners. Still tweaking my vitamin regime but i think i got it down now- flaxseed oil-2000 mgs a day, fish oil- 4000mgs per day, vitamin e-800 IU/daily, msm-2000 mgs-daily, evening primrose oil-2000 mgs/daily,l-lysine-1000 mgs/daily and super b-complex with folic acid and vitamin c-(1 pill)- drink 64 fluid oz of water daily.

I did not know that some put Monistat in conditioner....maybe someone else can answer that. Information on monistat is relatively new to this board I think, but I would like to hear an answer to your question as well. Bonjour

Back