Questions for Naturals

Yup. For almost 6 years.

288631392_3b8cd2dcf1.jpg

This is after I had been cutting them for a while to try to increase the 'body'. :ohwell: The years of bleaching and dying took their toll, though. Ah, well.

Twisting while dry did mine in. I had a youngster call me Lil Jon and I commenced to cutting them off. My crown was so thin that all of the locks pulled into a top ponytail were only the diameter of a quarter.:nono:

I surrendered and cut the tips, detangled about and inch that hadn't loced yet and I don't look back.

Justkiya, your hair was go-jus.:lick: You are too.:yep:

Why did you go natural?

Got tired of getting perms, wanted a change, wanted my edges to gro

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl?
Didn't realize how true it was until last week, I blowdried, straightened and wash and lost a lot of my curl pattern in places. Funny, because I STAY DCing and up on teh proetein. I take such good care of my natural hair, so I kind of thought it couldn't happen to me.

Did you BC (bald) or transition?
year long transition

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you?
One year, I am 6 inches

Why did you go natural?
All on a whim. Trying to heal a little heart ache. Stayed natural because I fell in love with the 'me' that I found.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl?
I believe it largely depends on the technique. Personally, I don't do it often. #1, because I don't have the time or patience to do it myself. #2, anyone else doing it won't take care of it the way I would (with the exception of 1 person - but she stays booked). Plus, I just don't do it because it's not what I'm in to.

BC for sure. Went to a straight up fade.

See above...not even a quarter of an inch of hair!

Why did you go natural?
I decided that I wanted to experience natural hair. I was bored with my straight hair.

Not sure yet. I have not experienced extreme/excessive heat usage

BC'd to about 1/2 an inch of hair

Why did you go natural? I went natural for many reasons, I had tried going natural before and failed horribly after three months, I wanted to see if I could commit to something, I got tired of burning my scalp and sores, my hair began to thin more with each application and the perm company I fell in love with changed their formula, I wanted to be able to get my hair wet and not worry about newgrowth... Okay I could probably be here all day listing reasons I think I give more detail in my fotki journal. Though some of my views that are listed their have changed considerably since then. Its been a little over two years since I started this journey.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? I honestly can't share any personal experiences from this because I try to stay away from heat. But I do agree that straightening is all in technique because even a person who rarely straightens can get heat damage on that one rare occasion that they choose to straighten which can result in natural curl lose.

Did you BC (bald) or transition? I transitioned for 16 months I originally was supposed to wait until 18 months and BC on my bday, but I couldn't take the two textures anymore.

I waited 16 months to BC, I had mostly 7 and 1/2 inches and 6 inches in some spots after I chopped. I did my BC myself and I think I chopped off too much because I wasn't sure of my texture. I have a really wavy/straight texture in the front and loose deep wavy curls on the sides and at the nape so I had a hard time trying to figure out where my curl ended and the relaxed hair began. If I hadn't colored my hair after my last relaxer I probably would have cut off much more.

Why did you go natural?
The original reason was because my skin is so sensitive that relaxers burned all the time, even with a heavy base. I quit relaxing w/o putting much thought to what I was gonna do with my hair. I was wearing fake pony tails all the time. After my hair started growing out, I was literally sprung over my natural texture. I also remembered how long and healthy my hair was when I was a kid and I only got it pressed w/o any chemicals. Since I'm natural I can have straight or curly hair so it's a win/win situation for me.
I don't think it has to do with frequency because I know a whole lot of people who get their hair pressed or flat ironed every two weeks faithfully and when they do decide to where it curly/kinky, it's not a problem. I will be getting my hair pressed this saturday, so we shall see.......
Transitioned
8 or 9 months and I have no idea how many inches I had. All I know is that I couldn't get my hair in a decent pony tail so I immediately got kinky twists.

Why did you go natural?

I noticed my hair was so much thicker between touchups and grew just as fast w/o relaxers.

Is is true you can't straighten your hair too much because your hair will loose its natural curl?

I've noticed that my ends are much straighter than my roots and I believe it is from flat ironing. I wanted to get my hair professionally twisted and they said the same. I never believed this but they point out sections of my hair that I normally flat iron and I confirmed that those sections of hair where the portions of my hair that I usually flat iron the most. They informed me that I would have to get those ends cut or grow it out a little.

Did you BC?[/COLOR]

Absolutely not! I wore braids for almost 2 1/2 years!

Why did you go natural?

Intially I was stretching my relaxers. I had been thinking about going natural for a few months but hadn't made a decision. 2am one morning I took some scissors to my hair and started cutting all my relaxed hair. I barely had more hair than my son ..lol

I would say that it really depends on your hair and how you use heat. I am careful to deep condition my hair very well before I decide to straighten my hair. Also you need a really good heat protectant. Lastly watch the heat setting..instead of blow drying my hair on high heat.I will dry it with a tee shirt, blow dry it on cool some then use my dryer on medium heat.

I did the BC....knowing what I know now I made the best choice for me then w/o realizing it.
I don't know if I could have dealt with two different textures w/o being frustrated or even relaxing my hair again.

n/a

Why did you go natural?

I went natural so for several reasons, which included the simple fact that my hair was suffering from damage with the relaxer. Also, I was going off to college, and knowing that I wouldn't be able to afford to go and get my hair done or do touch ups myself...I (unknowingly :look:) began to transition.

For the first three years, I didn't straighten my hair at all! It was thick and healthy! However, over the last couple of years once I introduced heat, I introduced damage! :wallbash:

I transitioned...but only because I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my hair. I knew I didn't want to relax, but I didn't really consider going natural as a option until I did research--about 3 months post-relaxer.

I waited about 7 months and then cut that mess off. I was about an inch and a half curly.:grin:

Back