Questions for Naturals

Why did you go natural?

Because the few afro-textured women I saw I fell in love with. I wanted my hair to be like theirs. My hair wasn't damaged, thinning or anything like that. I just wanted to grow out my hair.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl?

I heard this due to horror stories of folks it has happened to. What I also read was that after two or three times a week of intense deep conditioning there hair came back to normal. My co-worker has super long waist-length natural hair, but she still has a few inches of relaxed ends left. She goes back and forth flat ironing it with the chi all the time. Her natural hair doesn't seem damaged at all, because chi she uses doesn't get that hot. She's cutting the relaxed ends off slowly. You only notice something's wrong, because when she wears it in braidouts or let's it dry naturally her ends are of a different texture and much thinner.

Did you BC (bald) or transition?

I transitioned for a year. If I knew then what I know NOW I would have chopped after three months and called it a day. Trying to match the two textures were a pain in the arse.

How many inches were you?

Probably about two or three, but I honestly didn't measure. All I know is I had enough hair to twist and create stretchage. I stopped measuring once I became natural. I wasn't going to tape the ends of my hair to a piece of paper to measure the length. It's not that important to me. I will say this though, SHRINKAGE IS A *ITCH! LOL!

Last edited:
Why did you go natural? I love options. Short, long, curly, straight.. styling options are endless!!:grin:

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? I think so.. I noticed the front of my hair has a looser curl so I make sure to use that on a lower heat so I don't damage it

Did you BC (bald) or transition? BC

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you?
I transitioned for about almost 10 months but then I got some terrble highlights and my hair started break so I did the BC.. I was 1.5 inches

Why did you go natural?
I was tired of flat lifeless relaxed hair that was always breaking. I 've always felt "fake" with relaxed hair cause I knew that wasn't what my hair really was. I saw a cousin whom I hadn't seen in years and her hair was natural and waist length...who knew my hair could do that?

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl?

For me this is true. I think it depends on the texture and resiliency of your hair. My hair is uber fragile; my fine strands won't go for regular heat styling. 2-3 times per year is more than enough for me.

BC

I transitioned for about 7 months. I didn't know that is what I was doing...I had gone long stretches in braids for years before that, but this time I decided to chop off the relaxer. I had about 4-5 inches of natural chemical free hair.

Why did you go natural?

I was frankly tired of Dried out awful looking relaxed hair. It was a nightmare....

Untrue. Natural hair can keep its texture - if there is good hydration, conditioning and care BEFORE heat comes along...Too much heat( for most people - over 400 degrees...) will burn hair......... Most marcel irons can get as high at 800 degrees....:blush: and just because a stylist is moving fast - does not mean they are not jacking your hair up.

Transitioned in Braids.

About 6 inches had grown in. 6 inches were chopped off.

Why did you go natural?
My hair was damaged, thin, overprocessed and I thought it was due to my relaxers. (this was before I found the hair boards)

I don't think you'll lose it if you straighten too often, but you will lose it if you use high heat. I don't straighten often because my hair is prone to split ends.
I 'transitioned for 2.5 yrs.

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you? My hair was BSL before I chopped. After the chop, I was APL.

Why did you go natural?

I got to a point where I just wasn't happy with my hair. I felt like the relaxers were not helping my hair and since it was already thin I figured going natural would help it thicken up.

Nah. It's all in technique and what you use. When I first decided to let my hair breathe I let someone use a hot comb on my hair and I also got Dominican blowouts. The last blowout was in October of 2008. I still have straight ends from that. I learned that my hair was fine and I shouldn't use those types of tools on it so once I learned to master a flatiron all of my hair reverts except those ends. So it's all in technique and how much heat you use and at what temp. Plus products! I've never used heat protectant until I started straightening myself. If I get a blowout again I'm going to bring some heat protectant, it really helps.

I transitioned for roughly a year then chopped.

My hair was about 3-4 inches in length when straightened maybe a little longer.

Why did you go natural?

I didn't see the point of relaxing anymore. I like the look of big, curly hair. My hair looks and feels healthier and thicker now that it's in its natural state.

Yes, it is. I wouldn't recommend going natural if you planned on wearing your hair straight most of the time, anyway.

I transitioned.

I transitioned for a little over 8 months. My hair was about 4 inches stretched and about 1-2 inches unstretched.

Why did you go natural? i have always wanted to go natural. big hair has alwasy been my dream. i went natural because of that and also because i no longer wanted thin relaxed hair. i never like the process of getting relaxers anyway. i never experienced relaxer burn or clumps or hair falling out, i just never liked relaxers so to stop relaxing was very easy for me

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? ive been natural for about 9 months now and have not used heat at all. i dont plan on using heat at all because my relaxed hair had heat damage. ontop of that my hair is very fine and thin so i would say "yes" natural hair will lose its pattern.

Did you BC (bald) or transition? i chopped down to a 1/2 inch all around except the front heat damage are which i left to about 2 inches.

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you? i transitioned for 11 months but had to chop it all down because the heat damage in the front just didnt allow me not to.

Me too!! As soon as I cut the relaxers out *poof* dandruff problem disappeared:yep:
Me three...no more dandruff since being natural.
I had it bad, so bad, my mother took me to a doctor when I was a teen. He told me to use some shampoo that smelled like a tar pit. I'm about to turn 40 so I had a severe dandruff problem for 30 plus years. I suffered from the most horrific dandruff known to man.
When I told my mother that I had no more dandruff now that my hair is natural, she had this "ahhhh" look on her face and said you must have been allergic to the perm. (My skin is sensitive to a lot of things) It was like a light bulb of understanding went off for her. The unanswerable question was finally answered.

Last edited:
Why did you go natural?

So I could relax and show my hairdresser that my hair could indeed handle a relaxer. I found her when my hair was damaged and after a second touch up, she told me that my hair was the kind that couldn't handle a relaxer. I knew better because I'd seen it look awesome relaxed and I wanted to show her she didn't know what she was talking about.

But when my natural hair grew longer than I ever saw my hair before (relaxed or natural), I completely forgot about that plan. :giggle: Long hair has always been the reason I changed my hair and when I saw I could have it without doing anything....

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much because your hair will lose its natural curl?

Well, I don't think it's the frequency that is to blame for loss of curl. I think it's improper use of heat that leads to burning the hair and damaging it so it loses its curl. You can get the same ending even if you straightened it just once.

I transitioned in braids.

I didn't really BC. Because I do my own braids and was following Brenda's regimen (www.blackwomenrejoice.com), which is similar to Wanakee's in that it recommends regular dusting of your hair, whenever I'd undo a braid to redo it after new growth made it loose, I'd snip off about 1/4 inch. So when I put my braids in, I had about 1 inch of growth. By the time the anniversary of my braid install came about, I had already snipped off all the relaxed hair and had this much natural hair:
Slightlystraight_-vi.jpg

This^^ was a year before I found LHCF.

Why did you go natural?

To try something different. I got tired of my thin relaxed hair that I never wore straight so I chopped it on a whim.

No but if you straighten with an iron that's too hot you could burn your hair straight. If you use proper products, tools and techniques you should be alright.

I didn't actively choose to transition. I was on a 6 month relaxer stretch and ended up chopping all my hair off around month 5.5. I hadn't planned on going natural.

5.5 months. I had maybe 2 to 3 inches of hair afterward. It was barely long enough for my braider to catch.

Why did you go natural?

I had been wanting to go natural for a while, because I was tired of my bone straight hair. I loved the curls and body of natural hair, and I wanted to experience my natural hair again. It hit me one day that I shouldn't put it off any more, and I decided that I was going back natural. I also got bad relaxer burns and I hated that experience.

I believe it to be true. I've seen it happen, where the hair can be heat damaged. Some refer to this as heat trained, etc. when they're looking to wear their hair straight more often than curly. I believe that the front section of my hair is heat damaged because it's a completely different texture with almost no curl. Only time will tell.

I transitioned for 7 months before I did my BC. I only had about 3 inches of hair maybe. Could have been less in some places. I cut off more than I needed in some areas.

Why did you go natural?
I went natural because the right side of my head broke off completely after a stressful period in my life. I wore a relaxed mohawk and my stylist said for me to continue that look I would need a relaxer every two weeks, after that I went natural and I was the person that said that I would NEVER go natural.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much because your hair will lose its natural curl?
It is true, now I have only straightened my hair two, but my linesister and a friend of mind have repeated straightened their hair and it took her sometime for her hair to go back, plus she had more split ends.

I had a straight up fade. January 2007.

Why did you go natural? I wanted to show my niece that natural hair is beautiful. If I kept telling her how gorgeous her hair is, and yet kept getting a relaxer, what message was I sending? Also, I'd love to be like a PinkSkates or BMP with long, natural hair! I was tired of sitting under the dryer. Many of you and my FB friends inspired me.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? This is what I heard. It makes sense to me that this could happen.

Did you BC (bald) or transition? I BCed yesterday. My hair is not even 1/2" long.

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you? N/A

Last edited:
Why did you go natural? I wanted to show my niece that natural hair is beautiful. If I kept telling her how gorgeous her hair is, and yet kept getting a relaxer, what message was I preaching? Also, I'd love to be like a PinkSkates or BMP with long, natural hair! I was tired of sitting under the dryer. Many of you and my FB friends inspired me.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? This is what I heard. It makes sense to me that this could happen.

Did you BC (bald) or transition? I BCed yesterday. My hair is not even 1/2" long.

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you? N/A
omg really! wow :blush:

Why did you go natural? I wanted to show my niece that natural hair is beautiful. If I kept telling her how gorgeous her hair is, and yet kept getting a relaxer, what message was I sending? Also, I'd love to be like a PinkSkates or BMP with long, natural hair! I was tired of sitting under the dryer. Many of you and my FB friends inspired me.

Wow:cry4:.....just wow:love3:

I'm honored beyond words to serve as an inspiration. You got me all misty eyed over here:blush3:

I think its an amazing thing you're doing for your neice! I think the fact that I always had someone in my close circle that revered natural hair and rocked it it really impacted my perception of beauty so its gonna make all the difference in the world!

Congrats on the BC cherie!:kiss:

Why did you go natural?
I love curly hair and I wanted to have crly hair.

I had my hair professionally flat ironed once and some of the curls in the back never went back to curly.

I transitioned for 3 months

Here is my starting pic
bc8-vi.jpg

here is what my hair looks like 1yr post relaxer
picsinphone021-vi.jpg

Why did you go natural?
Because I look better with the hair that grows out of my scalp.
Because relaxer burns.
Because I'm cheap.
Because I like curly hair.

Well, it's more about heat damage, which can lead to loss of curl. Personally? See point 1 above. I look really good with kinky hair. Straight hair - it isn't worth the work.

Uh, both? :lol: I went from APL'ish dreadlocks to ear-length loose hair. So, it felt pretty danggone bald. But, technically, it was a transition, as I didn't tighten my roots for a couple of months.

I "transitioned" for maybe 3 months (??) and I was - 4 or 5 inches? Of course that includes the hair that was locked, too.

See my answers above. ;)

Last edited:
Why did you go natural?

I could never hold a style, I would spend money on a nice hair style and then the next day it was gone. I would wrap it, sleep in one position it was just to limpy.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? No, my hair straighten pretty easy and reverts fast.

Transition

If you transitioned, how long did you wait to BC? How many inches were you

I transition for 15 months doing little chops of the relax ends. Finish transitioning on 19 Jan 10. I have 8 inches of natural hair

Why did you go natural?
Growing up, there was only one woman who did my here. When I went away to college I couldn't find anyone to do my hair. So I tried my hand at self relaxing...yeah no. So I gave up. And would just wash and go.

I think it depends on what a person is doing. In my case no.

I didn't know what transitioning was when I did it. I just went cold turkey and went about my business. :lachen:If I had only known then what I know now.

N/A

Why did you go natural? Was too cheap to pay a high price for a wash/cut/style, and I wanted a new look.

Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? I have no clue. I rarely straighten my hair. But when I do, I am concerned about whether or not my hair will be the same.

Did you BC (bald) or transition? Went from a SL perm to a scalp cut in 1 sitting.

Why did you go natural?
I went natural because I wanted the thickness of my hair back...plus, I know that I color and a relaxer plus dye = unhealthy hair for me
Is it true you can't straighten your hair too much becuase your hair will lose its natural curl? I have been natural completely for 4-5 years and at one time (2 years straight) I only wore my hair in straight styles- my hair has up to this point reverted back to curls and coils

I transitioned
I never did do a BC...I grew my hair out for 2 years and did very small trims...

Back