QTRLY Bible Study: Garments of Grace (2Q, 2011)

No I am not saying get rid of the gospel. Just some of it. what I love about my church service is we have different music each week, I love that. I must say that many folks do complain when the gospel choir performs and thats a shame we only hear them once a month. What I am saying is some Gospel music does not edify God at all, it gives us the illusion that it is worship music but its not the kind of music we worship God with that is all I am saying. Of course this is my opinion and I am still working it all out. Now I really enjoy hymn sabbath because its very, very filled with melodies. It is something to hear. I don't like traditional churches where everyone sits like a stone. No not saying that. Because my spirit would not be able to endure a dead church for five minutes. When I was a child in Alabama you would hear the ushers/people walking home from service singing By and by or peace be still those old songs. There are so many we sing and clap and we just have a good time. I like those songs. We usually do not have music its just us singing. We sing those songs on Hymn sabbath. Woke up this morning with my mind set on Jesus. part of the praise and worship and then we sing some hymns. My girls think thats boring but I do not I actually like it. I don't know all the hymns of course but I love the rich tones of those singing around me and I try hard to ignore those who sing off key.. However, I will share my opinion here, I dont think I should share my opinion with the entire church until I did more research and feel is value, right now I just have an opinion

The bolded part is my issue. Christians often have the idea of if it is not spiritually uplifting to me it isn't to someone else. I remember one pastor preaching on the evils of Kirk Franklin and how his music was not edifying to God. The whole church was in agreement but me. When on member pulled me aside about why I disagreed with the "truth". I let her know that one time I was contiplating suicide and it was a song from Kirk Franklin that God used to remind me that he would get me through the difficult situation I faced. I know that God uses many different forms of music to minister to individuals. Just because it does not minister to one person's spirit does not mean it isn't a blessing (or in my case relaying a lifesaving message) for another Chrisitian. I guess that is why I am so passionate about this issue. On more than on occation this type "bad" gospel music has filled me with hope and the determination to continue on this life's journey. It bothers me that such sweeping judgements are being made because I have personally seen different. If it doesn't help you out spiritually or is a stumbling block spiritually for you I whole heartedly agree that you should not use it in your private worship life. But it is wrong to deny others of the blessings they recieve because you don't have the same experience.

I understand what you are saying. it doesn't change my point of view, others can view secular music the exact same way, we just do not agree. When I found out I was pregnant with my son at 18 I was afraid and alone. Pop music was soothing to me soothing to my soul, I listen to it 247 with the radio on my belly, so of course, my son now has a problem with music. A problem because that was all I listen to when I was pregnant with him and its not pop music he listen too. He is a grown man and still struggling with it. But again I was stating my opinion about how I felt, your stating yours, I am not in agreement with you but it doesn't mean I do not respect your views. It is my view of how music can be used as counterfeit in the worship service, You and I both know that Satan uses every device he can to deceive and Music is one of them. Some people are affected by music and some are not. I am very affected by music so I am careful of what I listen too. I am very affected by watching TV programs. you know I see a movie that continues to bother me years and years later. I am not the end all, nor am I changing worship service, who am I to change the service no I am just more mindful of what is going on in the music industry. Also I don't expect you to understand my point of view as you said you did not go to the club or have those experiences but if you ever knew people that were in the club in the service watch how they behave during some gospel songs. Shoot I watch how my parents react when they hear going to the go go. Those songs take you back to a time and a place so for some people its a a struggle, separating their past life with their present life.
Also you been a "believer" all your life, its only been three years for me I am still growing, I am still fired up and excited. I have far surpass many in my church that have been Advents for years and I am still working on catching up to others. Everyone has their own journey and own point of view. This is what I am learning about music. Anchors of Truth had a great presentation on the music industry and Battle of Faith spoke about it and TV programs it was really good. I missed some of it and decided to go and by the DVDs because my son really wanted to know what is going on with the music and its affect on people. I hope Dicapr your still cool with me although we cannot agree on this issue and I hope and pray your stronger in your faith now then you were back then and that you would offer your opinion on what you view as counterfeit in the worship service so we can continue with the lesson. I think its a great lesson.

Wow- interesting discussion. What I find very disturbing whenever these discussions are raised is how much gospel music is attacked vs other forms of religious music. I don't hear the same arguments being made against Christian music including Rock & Contemporary no matter how much the rhythms mimic non-religious styles. I grew up in the Caribbean where hymns were almost always sung and we had a struggle as teens to sing gospel music like Kirk Franklin's but somehow country style religious music for the older folks was fine.

Somehow we have gotten the impression that if the song doesn't want to make us move then it's ok for church. But slow songs don't automatically equal worshipful. The lesson pointed out how David danced- that was a typical cultural response and we as Black ppl I think have been denying our culture in worship. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be discriminating. Lucifer was in charge of music in heaven so he has some serious tricks. We need to ask for the Holy Spirit's discernment and apply to all music that is brought to church.

Personally, I appreciate the different types of religious/Christian music and I think we need to make sure that we are providing a variety of musical styles during service. Hymns can be great but they don't minister to everyone the same way. Our worship should be fulfilling allowing all the members to express their worship to God.

I agree, I actually listen to Hillsong and they have a lot of Hard rock tones in their songs, I skipped them, the reason I said Gospel was because that is one of the great controversy I constantly hear about in Church and I did get offended. I love Gospel Music, however, there are some gospel music that I don't think or feel draws you close to God. But it is true so much other Christian music equals out to the same thing. I think we don't hear much about it because we do not play this type of music in our services and honestly, although we as a people are very eclectic in our choice of music. Who talks about it? At work (when I was working) my coworker who was white had her stations on R&B and I had mines on Pop music this is when I use to listen to it. She thought I was strange.
Anyway, here is a song from Mary, Mary, I actually like the song to clean the house with. Not to hear in worship service, it can actually go two ways. The christian has to "believe" its about their walking in Christ because there is no real indication of that. Here is the lyrics
Mary Mary – Walking Lyrics

Tell me what you see when I pass by
Shadow a cloud or a line in the sky
Am I getting it wrong or am I getting it right
Well all I can take it one, one step at the time

Look at me
I’m trying
Every day
I fall down
Make mistakes
Get back up
Try again
Next time that
See me

I’m walking I’m walking I’m walking

Some people say walking takes too long
But I say with walking you can’t go wrong
Why should you rush all way through life?
You won’t get very far running all the time

What does my life say about me
Can anyone see
Does it show I rock with the greatest?
I can’t get back the time I spent
Use the rest of it to show all the world how I made it

http://youtu.be/b4t8jMxMgEc

The Greatness of the Lord, I love this gospel all your doing is praising God.
Ricky Dillard And New G- God Is Great Lyrics

the greatness of the lord is inconceiveable
the love that he shows is unconditional
the power of the Lord is unbeatable great is the God we serve
God is great! (repeat)And greatly to be praised.
greatness of the lord is inconceiveable
the love that he shows is unconditional
the power of the Lord is unbeatable
great is the god we serve
God is great! (repeat)And greatly to be praised.

@JinaRicci ITA with your comments on music.. great post. A song doesn't only have to be a slow song to be considered a worship song. We all worship with song/dance, timbrel and harps lol....and worship isn't only for church service or bowing down in solemn silence. Blazin' says she could be cleaning her house and listening to songs glorifiying God -- that is worship! :yep:

I grew up in a COGIC church, on an island...folks at our church weren't feeling R&B-style Gospel..just the traditional Mahalia Jackson-type songs. Yet we still enjoy our calypso-style beats in service singing traditional Gospel songs, cow bell and all :lol: (well, later our pastor banned the cow bell.. lol) For us, it was a cultural thing.

Last edited:
@JinaRicci ITA with your comments on music.. great post. A song doesn't only have to be a slow song to be considered a worship song. We all worship with song/dance, timbrel and harps lol....and worship isn't only for church service or bowing down in solemn silence. Blazin' says she could be cleaning her house and listening to songs glorifiying God -- that is worship! :yep:

I grew up in a COGIC church, on an island...folks at our church weren't feeling R&B-style Gospel..just the traditional Mahalia Jackson-type songs. Yet we still enjoy our calypso-style beats in service singing traditional Gospel songs, cow bell and all :lol: (well, later our pastor banned the cow bell.. lol) For us, it was a cultural thing.

Thank you so much Laela for your comments.

Read for This Week's Study: Isa. 1:11–15, 6:1–8, Isaiah 44, 58:1–10, Jer. 7:1–10, Mic. 6:1–8.Memory Text:
" ‘Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come—yes, let him foretell what will come’ " (Isaiah 44:7, NIV).
Russian author Ivan Turgenev, in his story Fathers and Sons, put these words in the mouth of a character: “The life of each of us hangs by a thread, an abyss may gape beneath us any minute, and yet we go out of our way to cook up all sorts of trouble for ourselves and to mess up our lives.”—Fathers and Sons (New York, NY: Signet Classics, 2005), p. 131.
Of course, the Lord offers a better way to live. He offer us the opportunity to follow Him, to love Him, to worship Him, and hence spare ourselves many of the problems that we would otherwise bring upon ourselves.
Yet, merely professing to follow the Lord is not what the Christian life is about. This week, we will look at what a few prophets said about those who thought that their “worship” of the true God, in the true temple on the true Sabbath day was all that mattered, regardless of how they lived the rest of the week. As the prophets show, this is a deception, a good way to “cook up all sorts of trouble for ourselves
A Thousand Rams?
Unlike every other religion, the religion of the Bible (both Testaments) teaches that salvation is by grace alone. Nothing we do can ever make us good enough to be accepted by God. Our good deeds, however well-intended, however Spirit-inspired, can never bridge the gap that sin has caused between God and humanity. If good works could save us, if good works could atone for sin, if good works could pay our debt before God, if good works could reunite fallen humanity with the Creator, then Jesus never would have had to die for us, and the plan of salvation would be something radically different than what it is.

As it stands, only the death of Jesus credited to us by faith, only the righteousness of Christ, which He wrought out in His life, which is then given to all who truly accept it, can save the sinner. Sin is so bad, so contrary to the basic principles of God’s government, which is based on love and free choice, that nothing less than the death of Christ could solve the problem created by sin.

All that being said, the Bible is clear that what we say, what we do, and what we think all matter, and these thoughts and actions reveal the reality of our experience with God.
With the above in mind, read Micah 6:1–8. What point is the prophet making here, especially in regard to the question of the sacrifices (part of the worship service in Israel), symbolic of the plan of salvation? How can these words be applied to us today? See also Deut. 10:12, 13
Those who claim to be children of God but who fail to show justice and mercy to their fellow men are acting out the spirit of Satan no matter how piously they may adhere to the forms of worship. On the other hand, those who walk humbly with their God will not neglect the principles of justice and mercy, nor will they scorn the proper forms of worship. God is looking for true worshipers who are willing to demonstrate their love for Him by obedient lives, motivated by humble hearts. What do all the right prayers, all the right styles of worship, and all the right theology mean if the person is nasty, unkind, arrogant, unjust and unmerciful to others?
What do you think is more important: correct theology or correct actions? Can you have your theology right and yet treat others in a poor manner? What hope can you cling to if, perhaps, you see yourself revealed in the above texts?
The Call of Isaiah
While Hosea, Amos, and Micah were warning Israel of their imminent danger, Judah seemed to be prospering under the reign of several good kings. King Uzziah (also known as Azariah) was known and respected among the nations for his wise leadership and accomplishments (see 2 Chron. 26:1–15). But, as often happens, his success became his downfall. Humility was replaced by pride and devotion by presumption (see 2 Chron. 26:16–21).
The people of Judah appeared to be prospering spiritually, as well. The temple services were well-attended with a formality of religious fervor. Yet, many of the same evils that afflicted the people of Israel were fast corrupting the kingdom of Judah. It is at this time that the Lord calls Isaiah to His special work.
Read Isaiah 6:1–8. Why do you think Isaiah would respond as He did (vs. 5) upon seeing a vision of the Lord? What important “theological” truth is revealed here

Isaiah 6:1-8

1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple.

2 Above him stood the seraphim: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is Jehovah of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

4 And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, Jehovah of hosts.

6 Then flew one of the seraphim unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:

7 and he touched my mouth with it, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin forgiven.

8 And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said, Here am I; send me.
Try to imagine Isaiah’s overwhelming reaction to this heavenly revelation of the glory of God. Suddenly, he sees his own sins and the sins of his people stand out in bold relief against the spotless purity and the majestic holiness of Almighty God. No wonder he reacted as he did! It is hard to imagine anyone doing otherwise.
Here we see played out before us a crucial and foundational truth regarding the state of humanity, especially in contrast to the holiness and glory of God. We see an attitude of repentance, of a willingness to acknowledge one’s own sinfulness, one’s own need of grace.
Think for a moment what our worship services would be like were they to elicit in the worshipers a sense that they have been in the presence of our Holy God, which in turn makes them deeply aware of their own sinfulness and need of His saving grace and cleansing power. Imagine if the singing, the liturgy, the prayer, and the preaching worked together in a way to lead us each time to faith, to repentance, to cleansing, and to a willingness to cry out, “Here I am; send me.” That is what worship should be about.
Imagine yourself standing in the physical presence of Jesus. That is, if He were standing in the flesh right before you. What would your reaction be? What would you say? Or do? What about His promise to us in Matthew 28:20? What does that promise mean to us now, on a practical level?

Last edited:
Read for This Week's Study: Nehemiah 1, Jer. 29:10–14, Ezekiel 8, Daniel 3, Haggai 1, Zech. 1:1–6.Memory Text:

"Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes" (Haggai 1:6).

It is very hard from our perspective today—removed as we are by more than one thousand nine hundred years from the final destruction of the Jerusalem temple—to understand just how significant the temple was in the Jewish nation’s national and religious life. It was the apex of worship, the center of their ethnic and religious identity. It was where the Lord said He would dwell and rule in the midst of Israel. It was where the follower of YHWH found cleansing, forgiveness, grace, and reconciliation.
Because it was, truly, the Lord’s house, many people disbelieved the prophetic warnings that it would be destroyed by Babylon. How could the Lord allow His sacred temple to be obliterated? We only can guess at the shock when, indeed, as the prophets warned, the Babylonians razed it. And yet, even amid all the devastation, the Lord promised that the nation would be restored, the temple rebuilt, and Israel given another chance to fulfill her prophetic destiny.

This week we will look at some of the issues regarding worship during the time of the exile and, then, the promised restoration
Son of Man, Have You Seen. . . ?”

Apostasy does not happen overnight; whole peoples do not fall away in a day, a week, even in a year. The process is much slower; a little change here, a little compromise there; a little less rigidity in order to keep up with the times, or to be relevant, or to fit better with the trends of society and culture. Bit by bit, step by step, and, before long a whole nation is doing things that, perhaps a generation or two ago, would have been looked upon in horror. Such was the fate of the ancient Israel and Judah; such was the fate of early Christianity. Such can be the fate of any church, including ours, that does not carefully and jealously guard the sacred truths and practices given it by the Lord.

Read Ezekiel 8. As you read, realize all this was taking place in the sacred temple that the Lord had instituted, the very place where the Lord had promised to place His name. How could the people, the spiritual leaders, have fallen into such apostasy? What lessons can we learn from this for ourselves?
Ezekiel 8:12

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 Then He said to me, “Son of man, do you see what the elders of the house of Israel are committing in the dark, each man in the room of his carved images? For they say, ‘The LORD does not see us; the LORD has forsaken the land

Last edited:
I don't want to sound redundant, I can really only speak for myself If I am not consistently spending time with the Lord, I will become lost. Its so easy to happen it doesn't matter how much knowledge's I have received and how much I have studied if I am not consistently spending the time with the Lord in prayer in studying in sharing. I will become lost. Just yesterday I was actually saying someone should go and knock someone else upside the head. and I am not a violent person by no means. I was shocked at myself for saying it. I didn't mean it but to have said it was crazy. I said oh gosh I need to have some serious quite time.
My daughters still struggle with fitting in. You know we do not wear much makeup or jewerly or any "loud" displaying ornaments. Which is totally fine with me since I am 100% natural, I wear no make up, no jewerly. I have notice that over time they have convinced themselves that nothing is wrong with a little here and little there. I believe that is how it starts in services a little change here and there and before you know it God is no longer invited in worship. I have been to many a service like that, the people are very, very unkind and unfriendly especially to guest and visitors that are of not normal standards. Its a shame. My daughter came to service with Jeans on well we use to go to service that way onceupon a time ago. we started going to these services, which I liked though I really felt it was a drive by service. Anyway, they glared us so hard and long we had to move, we were on the 3rd row. we had to go and sit in the back of the service, of course you know that was our last service there, I said if the spirit of the Lord is up in here I don't know where he is. But this is no longer the place for me.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound redundant, I can really only speak for myself If I am not consistently spending time with the Lord, I will become lost. Its so easy to happen it doesn't matter how much knowledge's I have received and how much I have studied if I am not consistently spending the time with the Lord in prayer in studying in sharing. I will become lost. Just yesterday I was actually saying someone should go and knock someone else upside the head. and I am not a violent person by no means. I was shocked at myself for saying it. I didn't mean it but to have said it was crazy. I said oh gosh I need to have some serious quite time.
My daughters still struggle with fitting in. You know we do not wear much makeup or jewerly or any "loud" displaying ornaments. Which is totally fine with me since I am 100% natural, I wear no make up, no jewerly. I have notice that over time they have convinced themselves that nothing is wrong with a little here and little there. I believe that is how it starts in services a little change here and there and before you know it God is no longer invited in worship. I have been to many a service like that, the people are very, very unkind and unfriendly especially to guest and visitors that are of not normal standards. Its a shame. My daughter came to service with Jeans on well we use to go to service that way onceupon a time ago. we started going to these services, which I liked though I really felt it was a drive by service. Anyway, they glared us so hard and long we had to move, we were on the 3rd row. we had to go and sit in the back of the service, of course you know that was our last service there, I said if the spirit of the Lord is up in here I don't know where he is. But this is no longer the place for me.

I'm sorry to hear that. We can be so harsh on our young people. We forget that they need to grow both spiritually and emotionally. They will not be able to do that if we force them out of the church due to generational issues. Many teens feel jeans are perfectly good to dress up in. It is a generational issue that makes us feel uncomfortable with jeans in church. My brother once pointed out that the designer jeans that some youth wear to church cost more than the Ross' dress those who are dressed appropriately are wearing. They are bringing their "best" before the Lord-which is all He requires.

Worship “Contrary to the Law”

Worship is not just about what you do in church on Sabbath. Worship encompasses aspects of our whole faith: what we believe, what we proclaim, how we act. Central to worship is the idea of the Lord as our Creator and our Redeemer. Everything about worship should flow from this fundamental and sacred truth. Again, worship is primarily about God and the actions of God in history. Authentic worship should draw participants into a closer walk with their Lord. It should lead us to a sense of awe, reverence, repentance, and love for Him and for others.

Though we always should be thinking about the Lord (Luke 21:36, Ps. 1:2), worship time should be something special, something unique. We cannot, however, rely on the church itself or on the worship leaders themselves to provide that kind of experience for us, however much of a role they can play. In the end, it comes down to ourselves and the attitude we bring to church with us on Sabbath.

At the same time, as we have seen all quarter, worship is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Our worship does not save us; rather, our worship is one of our responses to being saved.

Read Acts 18:1–16. What charge was laid against Paul, and what does that tell us about worship?

It is fascinating that Paul was charged with persuading people toward a different kind of worship, a worship “contrary to the law” (vs. 13). (Even the Jews who believed in Jesus at times leveled a similar accusation against Paul.) The point in Acts 18 is that these people were so caught up in tradition, so caught up in how things were done in the past, so caught up in the forms of worship, that when Paul presented them with the One who was the whole purpose of their worship, the One whom they worshiped without knowing it, the One whom all the worship services really pointed to—they rejected what he said. So caught up were they in the law itself, they missed the One to whom the law pointed.

Again, though our circumstances today are radically different than Paul’s were back then, we need to be careful to not allow our forms and traditions to get in the way of what our faith really should be about. Any worship that does not lead us directly to the Cross is misguided.

2.Another Evangelistic Meeting

1.Read Acts 17:16-21. What kind of reaction is Paul getting to his preaching? (It seems to range from skeptical to mildly curious.)

1.Would things be different if Paul had high power Holy Spirit working with him?

2.If you skim over Acts 17:22-31, you will see that Paul preaches the gospel to them based on the evidence of nature. His message is similar to Peter's at Pentecost. Peter cited the Bible and Paul cites nature. Read Acts 17:32-34. How many converts does Paul have? (Just a few.)

1.Peter had high powered Holy Spirit and 3,000 conversions. Paul did not have it and had a few conversions. Is something wrong with Paul? (Read Acts 9:17. Paul (Saul) is "filled with the Holy Spirit.")

2.Read Acts 18:4-5 and Acts 18:8-11. Who is with Paul in his evangelistic preaching? (We fault Paul for not having the power connected with Pentecost, but God says that He is with Paul's preaching.)

3.Since God says that He is with Paul in his preaching, why is high power Holy Spirit not present?

3.Advice on High Power Holy Spirit

1.Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. What is the relationship between spiritual gifts and love for others? (We are told not to lose sight of the goal. The true goal is not high powered Holy Spirit. These gifts of the Holy Spirit are tools to advance the gospel. The heart of the gospel is loving God and our fellow humans. Matthew 22:37-40.)

2.Read 1 Corinthians 14:1. What attitude should we have about high power Holy Spirit? (We should desire (and pray for) all the power of the Holy Spirit that God is willing to share. But, we need to recognize that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are tools for us to bring others into the Kingdom of God.)

3.Friend, will you fervently pray not only that high power Holy Spirit will be given to you and to your church, but that the Spirit will give you a heart of love towards others?

Read for This Week's Study: Job 42:1–6, Rev. 1:13–18, Revelation 13, 14:6–12, 19:1–5.Memory Text:

"And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth" (Revelation 14:3).
Few books of the Bible hold as much mystery and fascination as does Revelation. It is filled with incredible images of beasts and dragons and fire and earthquakes and plagues and armies and frogs and cities and falling stars and so forth.
And yet, amid all the drama, the theme that repeatedly appears is worship. Whether dealing with the final crisis regarding those who worship the beast and its image, or revealing beings in heaven who sing praises to God, Revelation comes back again and again to worship: worship of Him who “liveth for ever and ever” (Rev. 5:14), worship of Him “which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou has taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned” (Rev. 11:17), and worship of the One who is to receive “glory and honour and power” (Rev. 4:11).

In short, Revelation reveals what we have been looking at all quarter: that the Lord alone, our Creator, our Redeemer, our Judge–is worthy of our worship and praise.

*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, September 24.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUNDAY September 18

I Fell at His Feet as Dead”

Perhaps one of the greatest revelations we have been given of the majesty and power of God has come to us through astronomy. Most of the ancients had no idea of the size and expanse of the cosmos. In the twentieth century, with the incredible advances in various telescopes, we have been given a view of the universe that most of the ancients would have been baffled by. Indeed, we ourselves are baffled by it, by the size, by the distances, and by the incredible number of galaxies and stars. We barely can wrap our minds around it all.

And here is the amazing thing: only something greater than the cosmos could have created the cosmos, in the same way that only something greater than a painting could have created the painting. Thus, the God whom we worship, the God whom we serve, is the Creator of the universe; hence, He is “greater” than it all.

Who, then, are we in contrast to such a God?

Read Revelation 1:13–18, John’s depiction of Jesus, as revealed to him there. What is his reaction, and why would he react that way? How is the Cross presented here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read Job 42:1–6. How does Job’s reaction compare with John’s?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though both these men were given only a partial revelation of the Lord, what they saw was enough to greatly humble them. There was fear, reverence, awe, and a sense of repentance in their reactions. How could there not be? They were getting a view of the Creator of the universe; more so, they were sinful beings getting a view of a sinless and holy God. No doubt, a realization of their own sinfulness, their own unrighteousness, their own filth, rose up in them before the presence of the Lord.

How should our worship services elicit in us a similar reaction? That is, shouldn’t we be given a sense of the presence of God, which should humble us? At the same time, how crucial that the Cross be lifted up before us as our only hope of salvation.

MONDAY September 19

Holy, Holy, Holy . . .

Though the book of Revelation still holds many mysteries, the dominant motif comes through time and time again, and that is—of worship. All through Revelation are scenes of various beings worshiping the Lord.

Read the following texts. What can we learn about worship from what appears in them? What themes appear here that we have seen throughout this quarter?

Rev. 4:8–11

Rev. 5:8–14

Rev. 7:9–12

Rev. 11:15–19

Rev. 15:1–4

Rev. 19:1–5

Amongst all the things that Revelation can teach us, one thing should stand out: what happens on earth impacts heaven, and what happens in heaven impacts earth. Heaven and earth are, as we have been told, closer than we might think. Revelation shows us just how close. Indeed, time and again the beings in heaven are worshiping God for what He has done on earth.

What, too, are the themes of praise and worship seen here but themes we have been looking at all quarter? The Lord as Creator, the Lord as Redeemer, the Lord as judge. He is praised for His holiness, He is praised for the shedding of His blood, He is praised and worshiped for His power, for His might, and for His honor. He is praised for His justice and judgment and for the salvation He offers.

Think again through the plan of salvation, of what it means and what God has given us through it. Don’t we have so much to praise Him for? Whatever your struggles, whatever your trials, take time every day to praise the Lord for all that you have to be thankful about. It will change your life.

“And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God” (Rev. 22:8, 9). Read the context of these two verses. What’s the essential message here about worship?

All quarter we have seen the same thing: humans have this innate need to worship. Even good things. Here John wants to worship the heavenly messenger who has revealed to him so much incredible truth. And yet, he is told to stop and worship God.

This is not the first time he has had this experience. In Revelation 19:10, he is about to do the same thing, and again, he is stopped and told to worship the Lord. It reminds one of Christ’s words to Satan: “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve” (Matt. 4:10).

In both cases, too, John fell at the feet of the object he sought to worship, a symbol of surrender, of submission, and of reverence before the object of worship. Anything else is not really worship, is it?

And that is because worship is not merely about what we do on Sabbath for a few hours each week. Worship is about falling at the feet of our Lord all the time. It is about our entire attitude and relationship to God. Worship is what we should be doing 24/7; it is about living a life of faith, of obedience, and of surrender to the Lord. Worship is about putting God first and foremost in all that we say, all that we do, and all that we think. Worship is how we treat others, how we treat those we love, and those who are hard to love. Worship is about obeying the commandments, it is about ministering to those in need, it is about dying to self and proclaiming the gospel.

Again, think about the Creation, think about the God who created the Creation. Then think about the Cross, about the Creator dying for the sins of those whom He had created, bearing in Himself the punishment that they deserved in order that these undeserving beings could have the chance of being recreated in a new heaven and a new earth.

Because God created all that exists, anything else we worship is simply our worshiping more creation, worshiping idols of one form or another, worshiping what cannot save us. In contrast, with the image of the Creator on the cross, the question is, Why would we want to worship anything or anyone else?

Revelation 13

From the introduction onward, we have seen how the final end-time crisis will center around the question of worship. The issue of worship is not a small matter. The eternal destiny of souls hangs on it. This crucial truth becomes more apparent in what unfolds in Revelation 13 and 14.

Read Revelation 13 and answer the following questions:

What is the historical context of these verses? What are they talking about historically and prophetically?

How often does the theme of worship appear in this chapter? What does that tell us about how central it is?

Where is the gospel, the salvation offered to us in Christ, presented in this chapter?

From the beginning of the great controversy, Satan sought to subvert the authority and power of God. The battle that he started in heaven is now being played out on the earth. This chapter shows the enemy’s work through history, through the powers presented there, and how it will climax in the final crisis surrounding the issue of worship: all those who do not worship the beast and his image will face economic and physical persecution. Even though Satan knows that he is defeated, even though at the Cross it was over for him, he still continues to fight, still continues to seek deceiving as many as he can, and he will do so right up to the end.

Yet, in the midst of all this, we have Revelation 13:8, which refers to Jesus as “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world”; that is, even before all this began on earth, the “everlasting covenant” (Heb. 13:20) had been in place, offering all humans the opportunity for salvation. Those who truly have accepted that salvation, whose names are in the book of life, shall not worship the beast or his image. They are worshiping, instead, the one who “washed us from our sins in his own blood” (Rev. 1:5), and we will no doubt be doing the same, worshiping Him, in heaven, as well.

Revelation 14

Revelation 14 opens with what? A heavenly scene, showing the 144,000 thousand who were “redeemed from the earth” (vs. 3). It starts out with a vision of the future, of what it will be like, at least for this group, when they stand before God in heaven. And though the text doesn’t come right out and say it, this certainly seems to be a depiction of some sort of heavenly worship.

Thus, Revelation 14 continues the theme of worship found in chapter 13. These people didn’t worship the beast and his image but instead are seen worshiping their Lord in heaven.

The chapter then returns to earth, picking up where chapter 13 left off, where those who worshiped the beast and his image were shown in contrast to those who would not, those whose names were written in the book of life.

Read Revelation 14:6–12. Why are these texts so central, so crucial to us as Seventh-day Adventists? What themes appear here that we have been looking at all quarter? Why do we call these verses “present truth?”
These verses are rich and ripe with truth: Creation, Redemption, judgment, Salvation, the gospel, obedience, faith, the Ten Commandments, mission. Here, too, we can see the fiercest warning in all the Bible, and it centers around the question of worship: “And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name” (Rev. 14:11).

As Seventh-day Adventists, we understand how central to this whole issue the seventh-day Sabbath is, which is so tied in with Creation and with worship. We worship the Lord because He is the Creator, and the Sabbath has been and still remains the foundational mark, or sign, of His role as Creator.

Though we still do not know when, and how, these issues will be brought to the forefront, we can be sure that they will. How crucial it is then that we be ready, not only to stand firm for the truth but also to be able “to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear” (1 Pet. 3:15).

The Gospel in Galatians​

Paul’s letter to the Galatians has been compared to spiritual “dynamite,” and rightly so. Except for Romans, no other book in the Bible has sparked as much spiritual revival and reformation. One could argue that out of the pages of Galatians (along with Romans) Protestantism itself was born. It was while reading Galatians that Martin Luther first was touched with the glorious good news of righteousness by faith. “The Epistle to the Galatians,” he said, “is my epistle. To it I am married.”
In turn, it was Luther’s gospel-centered writings that, on Aldersgate Street in London on May 24, 1738, transformed the life of John Wesley, who then spearheaded a spiritual revival that swept not only through the British Isles but across the entire English-speaking world.
Seventh-day Adventists also are indebted to Galatians. Through the study of Galatians, E. J. Waggoner and A. T. Jones helped the Adventist Church in the 1880s and 90s rediscover the truth of righteousness by faith.
What is it about Galatians that has made it such a backbone of spiritual revival? Why has it been able to touch the hearts of so many? In a manner unlike any other book in the Bible, Galatians addresses a number of themes crucial to the Christian soul. It is in Galatians that Paul tackles issues such as freedom, the role of the law in salvation, our condition in Christ, and the nature of the Spirit-led life, as well as the age-old question, How can sinful humans be made right before a holy and just God?
Of course, other books, such as Romans, address some of these same questions, but Galatians is different. Not only is it more succinct, but its rich themes are written in a powerfully personal and impassioned pastoral tone that can’t help but touch hearts open to the Spirit of God, even today.
This quarter’s Bible study guide invites us to journey with the apostle Paul as he pleads with the Galatians to remain true to Jesus. At the same time, it also gives us a chance to reflect on our own understanding of the gospel. It’s a sincere hope that, over the course of this quarter, God’s Spirit will spark a spiritual revival in our hearts as we rediscover what God has done for us in Christ.

I am so late in posting, i apologize, i been homeless for about 14 days now. the house next to mines caught on fire and dingy me. Thought oh good the fire is out and I can go back into my house, well everyone looked at me like I was nuts and said you can't live there now. They were right. So i been staying here and there and finally at a hotel for a week its been something else. I haven't had time to sit down and just read a word, i been so discombobulated. if that is a word and i spelled it right. I got a new Laptop to be able to get caught up with the world and find a job and a place to live for the next few months as they get my house sorted out. Got up to go to service which is now an hour away only to find out the insurance did not pay the bill and I owe the entire thing and we have to leave. it took almost 9 hours to sort it all out. i am exhausted. So i am happy about the laptop but it drives me crazy. i am typing and i type pretty fast but it keeps jumping all over the place and I have no idea why? I am pushing something but have no ideal what.

Sabbath Afternoon
Read for This Week’s Study: Gal. 2:1–14, 1 Cor. 1:10–13,
Gen. 17:1–21, John 8:31–36, Col. 3:11.

Memory Text: “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind” (Philippians 2:2, ESV).

Protestant reformer John Calvin believed that disunity and division were the devil’s chief devices against the church, and he warned that Christians should avoid schism like the plague.
But should unity be preserved at the cost of truth? Imagine if Martin Luther, the father of the Protestant Reformation, had in the name of unity chosen to recant his views on salvation by faith alone when he was brought to trial at the Diet of Worms.
“Had the Reformer yielded a single point, Satan and his hosts would have gained the victory. But his unwavering firmness was the means of emancipating the church, and beginning a new and better era.”—Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 166.
In Galatians 2:1–14, we find the apostle doing all in his power to maintain the unity of the apostolic circle in the midst of attempts by some believers to destroy it. But as important as that unity was to Paul, he refused to allow the truth of the gospel to be compromised in order to achieve it. While there is room for diversity within unity, the gospel must never be compromised in the process.
*Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, October 15.

Last edited:
The Importance of Unity
Read 1 Corinthians 1:10–13. What does this passage tell us about the importance with which Paul viewed unity in the church?

1 Corinthians 1:10-13

10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all [a]agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be [c]made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.” 13 [d]Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized [e]in the name of Paul?

Having refuted the allegations that his gospel was not God-given, Paul directs his attention in Galatians 2:1, 2 to another charge being made against him. The false teachers in Galatia claimed that Paul’s gospel was not in harmony with what Peter and the other apostles taught. Paul, they were saying, was a renegade.
In response to this charge, Paul recounts a trip he made to Jerusalem at least fourteen years after his conversion. Although we’re not totally sure when that trip took place, no trip in antiquity was an easy affair. If he traveled by land from Antioch to Jerusalem, the three-hundred-mile trip would have taken at least three weeks and would have involved all kinds of hardships and dangers. Yet, in spite of such difficulties, Paul undertook the journey, not because the apostles had summoned him but because the Spirit had. And while he was there, he set his gospel before the apostles.
Why did he do that? Certainly not because he had any doubt about what he was teaching. He certainly did not need any kind of reassurance from the apostles. After all, he already had been proclaiming the same gospel for fourteen years. And though he did not need their permission or approval, either, he highly valued the other apostles’ support and encouragement.
Thus, the accusation that his message was different was not only an attack on Paul but also an attack on the unity of the apostles, and on the church itself. Maintaining apostolic unity was vital, since a division between Paul’s Gentile mission and the mother church in Jerusalem would have had disastrous consequences. With no fellowship between the Gentile and Jewish Christians, then “Christ would be divided, and all the energy which Paul had devoted, and hoped to devote, to the evangelizing of the Gentile world would be frustrated.”—F. F. Bruce, The Epistle to the Galatians (Grand Rapids, Mich.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1982), p. 111.
What are some issues that threaten the unity of the church today? More important, after we define these issues, how do we deal with them? What issues are more important than unity itself?

I believe that is is very important to God that we be unified in our beliefs. that is why when I am presented with something new I have to sit down and do the research on it to make sure 1. i understand it.2.it could help me to know if i am growing correctly and that i am continuing on the right track.3 if there is something in my character and in my life i need to change.
here are some scriptures on Unity to review and think about. The word of God is unchanging and if we find we can't agree then it might be something in our own character that might need to change that we are resisting.
Romans 12:14-21.
14 Bless those who persecute [a]you; bless and do not curse.
“The aim of Christian conduct is to
bring blessings to others, even to those
who persecute you.
The Bible
describes unity as a way we can know
God and a way for people to see we are
of God.”

15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but [n]associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. [o]Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but [p]leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. 20 “BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

●2 Chronicles
30:12—God’s people are given unity to
carry out His plans; ●Psalm 133:1—the
pleasure of unity; ●John 17:23—to know
God; Romans 12:4−8—differing gifts of
the Spirit; 1 Corinthians 1:4, 7—your
“spiritual gifts are concrete manifestations
of grace, experienced and expressed
in relation to our fellow believers”
(Andrews Study Bible, p. 1494);
●1 Corinthians 12:12—one body. Paul is
using the body to describe the church;
●Galatians 3:16—of one seed;
●Ephesians 1:10—universal unity;
●Colossians 3:14—perfect unity

Circumcision and the False Brothers

Why was circumcision such a focal point in the dispute between Paul and certain Jewish Christians? See Gen. 17:1–22; Gal. 2:3–5; 5:2, 6; Acts 15:1, 5. Why is it not that hard to understand how some could have believed that even the Gentiles needed to undergo it?

Circumcision was the sign of the covenant relationship that God established with Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation. Although circumcision was only for Abraham’s male descendants, everyone was invited into the covenant relationship with God. The sign of circumcision was given to Abraham in Genesis 17. This occurred after Abraham’s disastrous attempt—by fathering a child with his wife’s Egyptian slave—to help God fulfill His promise to him of a son.
Circumcision was a fitting sign of the covenant. It was a reminder that the best-laid plans of humans can never accomplish what God Himself has promised. Outward circumcision was to be a symbol of circumcision of the heart (Deut. 10:16, 30:6, Jer. 4:4, Rom. 2:29). It represented a stripping away of our confidence in ourselves and a faithful dependence on God instead.
During Paul’s time, however, circumcision had become a prized sign of national and religious identity—not what it was originally intended to signify. About one hundred fifty years before Jesus’ birth, some overly zealous patriots not only forced all uncircumcised Jews in Palestine to be circumcised, but they also required it of all men living in the surrounding nations who fell under their jurisdiction. Some even believed circumcision was a passport to salvation. This can be seen in ancient epigrams that confidently declare things such as,
“ ‘Circumcised men do not descend into Gehenna [hell].’ ”—C. E. B. Cranfield, A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans (Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark Ltd., 1975), p. 172.
It would be a mistake to assume that Paul was opposed to circumcision itself. What Paul objected to was the insistence that Gentiles had to submit to circumcision. The false teachers said: “ ‘Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved’ ” (Acts 15:1, NKJV). The issue, then, was not really about circumcision but about salvation. Salvation is either by faith in Christ alone, or it is something earned by human obedience.
Maybe today circumcision isn’t the issue. But what (if anything) do we as a church struggle with that parallels this problem?

Last edited:
Unity is a key characteristic of the true Christian church, but it is not merely avoidance of conflict or the papering over of legitimate differences. It must be founded upon the gospel.
Are you a splitter or a lumper? In most disciplines (biology, for example), it becomes necessary to classify individual examples within a larger framework. Say that you have a green, scaly creature. Is it a reptile, an amphibian, or something entirely new and unheard of? If it is an amphibian, is it a frog? Is it a toad? Could it even be a salamander? Or again, is it entirely new? If you are a biologist, your answer may depend on whether you are a lumper or a splitter. The lumper will look for the category that the new specimen has most in common with and will tend to regard the differences as less important. The splitter will focus on the differences and will tend to multiply categories and subcategories in order to define narrowly the identity of the specimen. An objective observer will usually have to admit that they both have a point.
These two drives exist in the church, as well, and most of us will have a preference one way or the other. Lumpers will tend to seek unity. At worst, this tendency becomes the search for peace at any price, in which immorality or rank heresy is ignored or glossed over to avoid conflict.
Splitters will tend to divide the church over arcane matters of doctrine or practice that have little bearing on matters central to Christian faith. We all have heard of churches and denominations that multiply into myriad feuding factions. If we examined them closely, we would probably find a predominance of splitters in such groups.
Paul sought unity, and in that sense, he was a lumper. But he would not accept unity unless it was based upon the one gospel. He was not willing to accommodate those who preached another gospel that was not the gospel, and in that sense, he was a splitter. As Christians we must know when to be a lumper and when to be a splitter, and only God can give us the wisdom and discernment necessary for that.

Genesis 17

Abraham and the Covenant of Circumcision

1 Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him,

“I am [a]God Almighty;

Walk before Me, and be blameless.

2 “I will [c]establish My covenant between Me and you,

And I will multiply you exceedingly.”

3 Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying,

4 “As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you,

And you will be the father of a multitude of nations.

5 “No longer shall your name be called [d]Abram,

But your name shall be [e]Abraham;

For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.

6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your [f]descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your [g]descendants after you. 8 I will give to you and to your [h]descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”

9 God said further to Abraham, “Now as for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations. 10 This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your [j]descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you. 12 And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations, a servant who is born in the house or who is bought with money from any foreigner, who is not of your [k]descendants. 13 A servant who is born in your house or who is bought with your money shall surely be circumcised; thus shall My covenant be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 But an uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant.” 15 Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but [l]Sarah shall be her name. 16 I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will [m]come from her.” 17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before You!” 19 But God said, “No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name [n]Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his [o]descendants after him. 20 As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall [p]become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year.” 22 When He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.

Galatians 2:3-5

3 But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage. 5 But we did not yield in subjection to them for even an hour, so that the truth of the gospel would remain with you.

Galatians 5:2

2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.

Galatians 5:6

6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

Acts 15

The Council at Jerusalem

1 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.”

Acts 15:5

5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”

Sharing and Receiving Scripture

A.In the Jewish culture of Paul’s day, circumcision was the deciding factor of a man’s faith. Are there beliefs or actions that we claim are deciding factors today?
B.Thought Questions

Read 1 Corinthians 1:10-13. Is there ever a time when it is permissible to not be unified within the church?
1.Yes, when I know I’m right but can’t get someone else to see it my way.
2.Yes, if someone else is clearly going against God’s Word.
3.Yes, when it is impossible for people of different cultures, genders, and ages to agree.
4.No, Paul says to be “perfectly united.”
5.No, because if Christ isn’t divided, then Christ’s followers shouldn’t be divided either.
6.Other...

Read Galatians 5:6 and Acts 15:1, 5. Paul objected to the belief that a man must be circumcised in order to be saved. Are the following church beliefs vital for our salvation?
1.Not buying or selling on Sabbath
2.Not wearing jewelry
3.Being baptized by immersion
4.Abstinence from eating or drinking anything that could harm our health
5.Believing in the gift of prophecy
6.Other...

Read Galatians 2:1-10. What “freedom” do we have in Christ?
1.Freedom to know without a doubt that we are saved
2.Freedom to reject God if we choose
3.Freedom to worship in whatever manner we choose—even if it’s outside another person’s comfort zone
4.Freedom from the guilt and shame of sin
5.Freedom to act as we please because we know that we can receive forgiveness
6.Other...

Read Galatians 2:11-13 and Acts 10:28. Would it be appropriate for us to associate with a non-believer in these situations?
1.At a bar, trying to help a depressed man who just lost his job
2.At a jail, talking to a teen who was caught buying drugs
3.At a coffee shop on Sabbath, visiting with a discouraged mom
4.Inside an abortion clinic, helping a teenage girl sort through her options
5.At a club, inviting a woman who works there to your Bible study group
6.Other...

Applying the Message of Scripture

•Option 1: You’re the chair of the church board. At tonight’s meeting you’ll be discussing the possibility of adding guitars and drums to the church worship service. Your church is divided on this issue. What steps would you take to help bring unity?
•Option 2: An elderly woman comes to you; she is appalled because a younger woman who was helping with the worship service wore a necklace and earrings. What would you say to help her see the bigger, more important issue here?
•Option 3: At the church potluck, some at your table are criticizing the pastor for preaching “too much grace.” They feel that he or she needs to preach more about the law and obedience. Should you keep quiet and just listen? If you speak, what should you say?

Valuing Scripture in Your Life
A.Is there an issue in your church that is keeping it from being unified? Ask yourself, “Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?” If you’re part of the problem, how can you change? If you’re part of the solution, how can you help?

B.Do you find yourself only associating with “the saved”? Do you tend to shun those who aren’t living right? Consider Jesus’ life. Jesus showed love to all humans and was criticized for sharing a meal with sinners. Decide to begin following Jesus’ example today.

Unity in Diversity
Read Galatians 2:1–10. Paul says that the false brothers “slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery” (Gal. 2:4, ESV). What are Christians free from? Read John 8:31–36; Rom. 6:6, 7; 8:2, 3; Gal. 3:23–25; 4:7, 8; Heb. 2:14, 15. How do we experience for ourselves the reality of this freedom?
Freedom, as a description of the Christian experience, is an important concept for Paul. He used the word more frequently than did any other author in the New Testament, and in the book of Galatians the words free and freedom occur numerous times. Freedom, however, for the Christian means freedom in Christ. It is the opportunity to live a life of unhindered devotion to God. It involves freedom from being enslaved to the desires of our sinful nature (Romans 6), freedom from the condemnation of the law (Rom. 8:1, 2), and freedom from the power of death (1 Cor. 15:55).

The apostles recognized that Paul “had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised” (Gal. 2:7, ESV). What does this suggest about the nature of unity and diversity within the church?
The apostles acknowledged that God had called Paul to preach the gospel to the Gentiles, just as He had called Peter to preach to the Jews. In both cases, the gospel was the same, but the way it was presented depended on the people the apostles were trying to reach. Implicit in this verse “is the important recognition that one and the same formula is bound to be heard differently and to have different force in different social and cultural contexts. . . . It is precisely this oneness which is the basis of Christian unity, precisely as unity in diversity.”—James D. G. Dunn, The Epistle to the Galatians (Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 1993), p. 106.
How open should we be to methods of evangelism and witnessing that take us out of our “comfort zone”? Are there some forms of evangelism that bother you? If so, what are they, why do they bother you, and might you need to be more open-minded about these things?
Wednesday
October 12
Confrontation in Antioch (Gal. 2:11–13)
Some time after Paul’s consultation in Jerusalem, Peter made a visit to Antioch in Syria, the location of the first Gentile church and the base of Paul’s missionary activities as described in Acts. While there, Peter ate freely with the Gentile Christians, but when a group of Jewish Christians arrived from James, Peter—fearful of what they would think—changed his behavior entirely.
Why should Peter have known better? Compare Gal. 2:11–13 and Acts 10:28. What does his action tell us about just how powerfully ingrained culture and tradition can be in our lives?
Some have mistakenly assumed that Peter and the other Jews with him had ceased following the Old Testament laws about clean and unclean food. This, however, does not seem to be the case. If Peter and all the Jewish Christians had abandoned the Jewish food laws, a major uproar in the church certainly would have followed. If so, there would surely be some record of it, but there is not. It is more likely that the issue was about table fellowship with Gentiles. Because many Jews saw Gentiles as unclean, it was a practice among some to avoid social contact with Gentiles as much as possible.
Peter had struggled with this issue himself, and it was only a vision from God that helped him to see it clearly. Peter said to Cornelius, the Roman centurion, after he entered his house, “ ‘You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean’ ” (Acts 10:28, ESV). Although he knew better, he was so afraid of offending his own countrymen that he reverted to his old ways. That’s, apparently, how strong the pull of culture and tradition was in Peter’s life.
Paul, though, called Peter’s actions exactly what they were: the Greek word he used in Galatians 2:13 is hypocrisy. Even Barnabas, he said, was “carried away with their hypocrisy” (NKJV). Strong words from one man of God to another.
Why is it so easy to be a hypocrite? (Isn’t it, perhaps, that we tend to blind ourselves to our own faults while eagerly looking for faults in others?) What kind of hypocrisy do you find in your own life? More important, how can you recognize it and then root it out?

Paul’s Concern (Gal. 2:14)
The situation in Antioch surely was tense: Paul and Peter, two leaders in the church, were in open conflict. And Paul holds nothing back as he calls Peter to account for his behavior.
What reasons does Paul give for publicly confronting Peter? Gal. 2:11–14.
Read Galatians 3:28 and Colossians 3:11. How does the truth in these texts help us understand Paul’s strong reaction?
During Paul’s meeting in Jerusalem with Peter and the other apostles, they had come to the conclusion that Gentiles could enjoy all of the blessings in Christ without first having to submit to circumcision. Peter’s action now put that agreement in jeopardy. Where once Jewish and Gentile Christians had joined in an environment of open fellowship, now the congregation was divided, and this held the prospect of a divided church in the future.
From Paul’s perspective, Peter’s behavior implied that the Gentile Christians were second-rate believers at best, and he believed that Peter’s actions would place strong pressure upon the Gentiles to
conform if they wanted to experience full fellowship. Thus, Paul says,
“ ‘If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?’ ” (Gal. 2:14, ESV). The
phrase “to live like Jews” can be more literally translated as “to Judaize.” This word was a common expression that meant “to adopt a Jewish way of life.” It was used for Gentiles who attended a synagogue and participated in other Jewish customs. It is also the reason that Paul’s opponents in Galatia, whom he calls the false brothers, are often referred to as “the Judaizers.”
As if Peter’s actions weren’t bad enough, Barnabas got caught up in this behavior, as well—someone who should have also known better. What a clear example of the power of “peer pressure”! How can we learn to protect ourselves from being swayed in the wrong direction by those around us

Back