PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really working. I've gone back to the whole Aphogee line w/ a lil Creme of Nature Shampoo mixed in and it's working wonders on my hair. I just got a relaxer a week ago so this weekend I set my hair for a wedding I was in and it came out pretty so mostly protein and Nairobi setting foam (new find!) are a keeper for me.

I am a fine-haired natural. Do you think Nexxus Emergencee would be okay for me? I'm going to try the Aphogee 2-minute keratin first b/c I've heard that it specifically treats breakage and it isn't too heavy. I'll keep Nexxus Emergencee in mind if you think it works for fine-haired naturals and Aphogee doesn't work.

I also LOVE Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. It leaves my hair soft but strong without having to leave it in for hours and the smell is a bonus. If you don't notice a change from that (which you may not notice a DRASTIC change from that after only one use, I more so noticed the difference with repeated use of the 2 minute reconstructor), then maybe give nexxus emergencee a try. Immediately after use I noticed a difference in the strength of my hair with the emergencee. Everyone is different so you may want to talk to someone who is natural. I am also fine haired but I'm relaxed, and if I wasn't using mega tek, I would probably use nexxus emergencee every 2-3 weeks because it works that well for me following it with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Don't you hate when that happens:wallbash:? I hope you can get your silkiness back.

Definatly. I've really realized that PROTEIN is my BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!! Because every time I use something without it my hair is weak, light, fine, soft, but wack. I dunno just WACKNESS! I hate it. I can't wait until next week so I can wash my hair again. Gonna try the Aphogee 2 min this time.

UPDATE: WOrst wash day EVER.... That KeraCare really did a number on my hair. Thank God i tried this product before buying a bottle of it because my PJ self was about to buy the huge bottle of it off of ebay. This stuff is TERRIBLE for my hair. It felt great though but after washing out my hair was pretty much hard, worse than any protein treatment I've ever done. Instead of being moisturized it was hard. It was even more difficult to straighten my hair I had so many little nots in my hair that pulled out multiple strands. I definatly believe today may have been a setback. Not major though. Each week my hair gets thicker but this was THE worse. Even after running my fingers through it I had more little knots all through my hair that hurt so bad and felt like I was snapping my hair off.

How does my hair feel? I can't even give it a number. But I can give a products review, and KeraCare for Itchy Scalp is officially a thumbs down. NEVER again. I'm going to try to doctor my hair throughout the week with my Vatika coconut oil and see if the silkyness returns.

Why didn't anyone tell me this stuff was so bad? LOL! Ateyaaa fooled me
aND i WAS ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT WAITING FOR AND UPDATE. THE PRODUCT SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER "ITCHY SCALP..." GLAD YOU WARNED ME FIRST

Hey Patricia:drunk:. It was a lesson learned. The OCT/MT is working fantastic! It seems to be making my new growth thick and strong:yep: Usually I just put it on my scalp, but I also applied it to my hair tonight and the breakage stopped in it's tracks. I love it:love: Hair went from zero back to 10
YOU KNOW I WANT SOME SO BAD. TRYING VERY HAIR TO RESIST THE URGE. I NEED A SALE OR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN WITH THAT PRODUCT. 60$ FOR ONE BOTTLE

Okay so I did a protein treatment on saturday with GVP Joico K-Pak. It was ok but I still had some breakage but it wasn't as bad as I though it would given that I had just removed my braids. Then I conditioned with GVP Conditioning Balm and my hair detangled beautifully. I would give my hair right now a 7.

I think I have to do protein treatments with every wash (twice weekly) rather than every other week. But so far so good.
I'M IN DISBELIEF TOO! PROTEIN EVERYTIME I WASH. WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN

I just used Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstuctor. I love this stuff. My shedding is almost gone just after one treatment. Since I am a MT/OCT user i will do this every two weeks. I tend to have strong hair so I dont think I'll get the protein overload. I use LOTS of moisturizing products also, mainly Keracare and AO HSR.
SOUNDS GOOD.:yep::yep: LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT ON YOUR NEXT WASH DAY.

YOU KNOW I WANT SOME SO BAD. TRYING VERY HAIR TO RESIST THE URGE. I NEED A SALE OR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN WITH THAT PRODUCT. 60$ FOR ONE BOTTLE

You know what Trish, (hope you don't mind - feels like we are family now) :grin::grin: I am going to be the "angel on your shoulder":angel:and yes ma'am - I know you are grown and it is YOUR business but - Don't you buy another thing!!! You have got your own mini-BSS in your bathroom :lachen:(me too..) I know when we first began this challenge you had some caliber protein condishes -

Friend- I am going really need you to give them a chance to work and get the long term effects this is coming from one PJ to another with the utter most sincerity!!!:sneakyhug: 'Cuz when you get curious I get curious too:spinning:...I know I got some good stuff in my stash and I am challenging myself to use it up (for a change)

I washed and used aphogee 2 minute. I'm always tempted to just stop there because my hair feels so good after applying it, but I then DCed with Alter ego garlic treatment and hairveda sitrinillah mix which worked really well. I used more alter ego than sitrinillah, but hair felt strong with nice slip. Will def be using that combo again. I am also using mega tek and I kindda slacked off the last 3 days but I'll be back on my grind tonight.
YEAH YOU GOT A HANDLE ON YOUR REGIMINE:yep::yep::yep:

UPDATE: So last week I used my conditioner (Essentious) for the first time and added an egg to it as a protein treatment, covering with a shower cap with no heat. This weekend I did a relaxer and had zero shedding in the shower which is so rare. But then during the air dry and blow dry process I had lots of shedding to make up for that :nono: Not to mention that the egg and conditioner mixture is smelly and left particles in my hair after washing out...ICK!

I'll say i'm at a 7. Back to Emergencee I go.
WOWSERS. YEAH I WOULD GO BACK TO EMERGENCEE TOO!. NEXT WASH DAY WILL BE BETTER

JDandBeyond, what you were going through is exactly what I am going through. When I comb my hair, the ends are always popping and breaking. I see my hair all over the place. Using castor oil on the ends helps, but it's still more breakage than it's supposed to be. I think I actually have a moisture overload. My conditioner (Herbal Essences Rainforest Flowers) has hydrolized wheat protein and hydrolized wheat starch as the 5th and 6th ingredients, respectively, but that isn't enough protein. I have also been using mayonnaise (the supermarket kind) for 20-30 minutes on low heat. Last night, I did a mayonnaise treatment for 30 minutes on medium heat, and there's still breakage. There's less breakage because I combed my wet hair w/ my fingers instead of a comb, but there was still more breakage than there should have been. Maybe I need to use a treatment that is marketed as a protein instead of using mayonnaise as my protein treatment. Mayonnaise does work well on my hair, but maybe I need something more in terms of protein.

Having said that, I'm terrified of protein. All the ones I've tried before (Mane and Tail, ORS Pak) have made my hair hard. I know that's because I haven't really had a deep moisturizing conditioner. I've just used an instant conditioner or ACV after the protein. That's going to change, though. This week, I'm going to Karen's Body Beautiful for a deep moisturizing conditioner, and I'm going to pick up the Aphoghee 2-minute Keratin reconstructor.

So, fearfully, I say, Patricia, sign me up too.
OH YOU WILL BE FINE. THE APHOGEE 2 MIN IS NOT A HARDCORE PROTEIN. YOU KNOW I'M GOING TO BE ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT WAITING ON YOU TO UPDATE US ON HOW THE PRODUCT WORKS FOR YOU.:yep: WELCOME TO THE CHALLENGE

It is so funny how you can come onto this forum for one thing, and get so many other things from it! I have exactly 5 months and 1 day before I need to fit in a wedding dress, and your post actually helped motivate me. I was thinking of all the excuses under the sun not to workout tonight, but that helped. Thanks. Also, your hair looks great in your siggy pic - very healthy and full.
I REALLY NEED TO GET RID OF 5 TO 10PDS TOO. I'M LIKING THE FEBURARY GOAL THINGIE

I'm sitting under my dryer right now with some Nioxin Reconstructive Mask on my hair - this thing is really tingling my scalp in a good way. I'll be DCing with some Biolage Conditioning balm I think.

I gorgot to add that I used my FAST protein poo by NISIM to wash with. My hair felt a bit stronger and thicker too. I wasn't using this for a while but now I think it's time to usae it up because I have like 3 bottles of it still left along with the conditioner.
ASK ME WHY WAS I ON NIOXIN WEBSITE TODAY:spinning: THE ASSESSMENT PAGE SAYS I NEED THE NIOXIN SYSTEM 4. I'M REALLY GOING TO TRY TO USE UP A LOT OF MY PRODUCTS BEFORE I BUY (I THINK:grin:) BUT ITS HARD. THANKS FOR THE REVIEW

Had a long weekend as well as a revelation - I am tired of messin' with my hair!!! I am definitely cutting out some of the things I was doing...

From Friday night until Sunday morning - I had coconut oil in my hair until I washed it Sunday morning (getting ready for Superbowl party) I washed my hair with Nexxus Diametress Shampoo - used Aphogee 2 minute mixed with Kenra MC w/cap in shower (left in about 3-5 minutes) -rinsed-sprayed a little Joico Liquid reconstructor in my hand and massaged in my hair - rollerset w/lottabody- that is it....

Note to self: Less is MORE!!!
ON THE OTHER HAND, I WAS THINKING I WASN'T DOING ENOUGH TO MY HAIR. I SHAMPOO 1X A WEEK AND MOISTURIZE 1 OR 2XPER WEEK. I'M REALLY THINKING ABOUT STEPPING UP MY GAME TO AT LEAST 2X PER WEEK. I'M STILL IN THE THINKING ABOUT IT STAGE.

This is really working. I've gone back to the whole Aphogee line w/ a lil Creme of Nature Shampoo mixed in and it's working wonders on my hair. I just got a relaxer a week ago so this weekend I set my hair for a wedding I was in and it came out pretty so mostly protein and Nairobi setting foam (new find!) are a keeper for me.
YES MAAM. GOOD TO HEAR:bouncegreI'M REALIZING WITH REPEATED USE OF CONDITIONING WITH PROTEIN AND THE LEAVE INS. I DON'T NEED TO MOISTURIZE MY HAIR AS MUCH AS I USE TO. MY HAIR IS HOLDING MOISTURE MUCH BETTER NOW. KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON YOUR NEXT SHAMPOO. WHO KNOWS YOU MIGHT WANT TO JOIN!

I also LOVE Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. It leaves my hair soft but strong without having to leave it in for hours and the smell is a bonus. If you don't notice a change from that (which you may not notice a DRASTIC change from that after only one use, I more so noticed the difference with repeated use of the 2 minute reconstructor), then maybe give nexxus emergencee a try. Immediately after use I noticed a difference in the strength of my hair with the emergencee. Everyone is different so you may want to talk to someone who is natural. I am also fine haired but I'm relaxed, and if I wasn't using mega tek, I would probably use nexxus emergencee every 2-3 weeks because it works that well for me following it with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
VERY GOOD ADVICE. QUESTION : HOW LONG AND HOW MUCH OF THE EMERGENCEE DO YOU USE? THAT BOTTLE IS SO SMALL. HOW LONG DO THE BOTTLE LAST YOU. THANKS

You know what Trish, (hope you don't mind - feels like we are family now) :grin::grin: I am going to be the "angel on your shoulder":angel:and yes ma'am - I know you are grown and it is YOUR business but - Don't you buy another thing!!! You have got your own mini-BSS in your bathroom :lachen:(me too..) I know when we first began this challenge you had some caliber protein condishes -

Friend- I am going really need you to give them a chance to work and get the long term effects this is coming from one PJ to another with the utter most sincerity!!!:sneakyhug: 'Cuz when you get curious I get curious too:spinning:...I know I got some good stuff in my stash and I am challenging myself to use it up (for a change)
I know you telling me the truth. I got to take this one day at a time. I have so many products its crazy and the thing about it I continue to use only a few. I need to join you in a challenge to use my products up . One week at a time. :nuts: Yeah we are friends. Only a friend will tell the truth. BUT GIRL I GOT TO GET ME SOME EMERGENCEE:cycle:AND THATS IT. Awwwww you so sweet :grouphug3:I know my family think I'm LOONEY TUNNIE:scratchch

I washed yesterday with GVP moisture shampoo..used aphogee 2 min for about 10 minutes..gvp moisture conditioner. DC'ed with GVP conditioning balm. I used GVP version of Redken Anti-snap mixed with a little kid organics shea butter moisturiser..wet wrapped and air dried. I'd rate how my hair felt at about a 7. I'm still having some breakage:perplexed but over all my hair is doing much better.

I'm sitting under my dryer right now with some Nioxin Reconstructive Mask on my hair - this thing is really tingling my scalp in a good way. I'll be DCing with some Biolage Conditioning balm I think.

I gorgot to add that I used my FAST protein poo by NISIM to wash with. My hair felt a bit stronger and thicker too. I wasn't using this for a while but now I think it's time to usae it up because I have like 3 bottles of it still left along with the conditioner.

Hi Aggie, that sounds great, can't wait to find out how it turns out. I have a question. What is NISIM? I'm thinking about trying a protein poo. Thanks =)

Definatly. I've really realized that PROTEIN is my BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!! Because every time I use something without it my hair is weak, light, fine, soft, but wack. I dunno just WACKNESS! I hate it. I can't wait until next week so I can wash my hair again. Gonna try the Aphogee 2 min this time.

I realized the same thing this past weekend:yep:

I know you telling me the truth. I got to take this one day at a time. I have so many products its crazy and the thing about it I continue to use only a few. I need to join you in a challenge to use my products up . One week at a time. :nuts: Yeah we are friends. Only a friend will tell the truth. BUT GIRL I GOT TO GET ME SOME EMERGENCEE:cycle:AND THATS IT. Awwwww you so sweet :grouphug3:I know my family think I'm LOONEY TUNNIE:scratchch

We can have a challenge within a challenge - did you know that the Ultra Sheen Duo Tex has the same ingredients (almost) as Emergencee' (go on and do your thing sister -I have some emergencee' that I bought months ago, it is a wonderful product) - the main protein is Hydrolyzed Collagen..Girl - as far as my family is concerned - I am looney tunie:lachen:....but I don't care!

Look at how you have inspired these sisters (including myself) on this thread and how it has grown - that is all you - with your words of encouragement...

Oh my heavens this thread blew up! :curtain:

I just took a slight protein break last weekend because I'm doing a henna gloss next weekend...and look what happened! 60 pages and over 13,000 views!! I think we are on to something :lol:

The price threw me off for a long time, too. It took me a while to decide if I wanted to try it. I looked at my receipt and saw that I got a discount--about 10% or so--not much, but it helps a little. Can't remember if it was a first time customer discount or an LHCF discount, though. Hopefully someone knows if they're still giving the discounts?

Ok ladies it's been a while since I posted in MY thread (lol, Patricia:grin:) Been busy.
Ok so I bought that darn Emergencee and used it last Thursday. My hair shed like a long haired dog from Thursday to Sunday night when I washed and DC again. It could have been three things 1) I didn't prepoo like I usually do since I know my hair loooves this especially when it's cold 2) I only left the Emerg on for about five minutes- now I know I could have left it on longer 3) I did not moisturize like I should have. My hair felt soft after I pooed and condished so apply my two cents worth of moisturizer, roller set my hair and called it a night. Girl, let me tell, my hair was hard like a hard-knocked life. My hair was straight breaking. Oh Emerg would have got kicked to the curb had not Ms. Sqzbly encouraged me to give it a chance and gave a sista some advice on how to use it.

Part 2

Soo...
On Sunday I decided again to conquer this here thing. I prepooed with my Pantene R&N Deep Condish Mask mixed with melted shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil and honey. Left that on for a good 30 minutes. Washed with Joico Clarifying and Chelating poo (:heart2:it), followed it with CON green stuff, Roux porosity control (thanks again Ms. Sqzbly, I was about to put this in my grave yard since it left my hair feeling very tangly and rough but when I looked back on a post from long ago, you advised to use it before DC) and DC with SE Mega Cholesterol.:yay:My hair finally felt worth the money I have put into it. So now I want to encourage us all to listen to you hair and use the right products the right way. Also since protein is our friend I don't think Mr. Protein would mind if we befriended Mr. Moisture and take him out on a date. In other words, ADEQUATELY MOISTURIZE YOUR HAIR! It will thank you for it.
That's all for now.

Last edited:
I washed yesterday with GVP moisture shampoo..used aphogee 2 min for about 10 minutes..gvp moisture conditioner. DC'ed with GVP conditioning balm. I used GVP version of Redken Anti-snap mixed with a little kid organics shea butter moisturiser..wet wrapped and air dried. I'd rate how my hair felt at about a 7. I'm still having some breakage:perplexed but over all my hair is doing much better.
I used some GVP amino poo a couple weeks ago and I thought I was going to pass out. Honey my hair was so over moisturized it was crazy. :hammer:I had to condition 3 different times to get my hair back strong. Never ever again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back