PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear of your setback, Patricia. :imsorry: Thank goodness it was minor; you caught it in time and took immediate action! I'm sure that Nexxus will :clubu:that mushiness. You'll have perfect balance and feeling all 10'd out by next week, I'm sure of it. :yep:
Thanks I'm sure I will be at least a 9 using the nexxus emergencee for the first time.
Hey ladies has anyone every used the Rusk Leave in. Is it moisturizing or proteinish?

Last edited:
Hey Taz! That is one protein rich reggie! Each strand on your head must be a lean, mean, protein backed machine. Cool!

I would like to commit to henna once every other week, as well. Followed by the Joico and a DC. I'm using the GVP Joico until my real deal gets here.

I had been wondering if it would be ok to continue to do the hard protein every six weeks if I keep my protein content up throughout. So, it's really cool to see that you will be doing that. Can you please keep us posted? I would love to know how it's working out for you. :)

As it is, I'm so in love with the way my hair feels right now that I've been thinking about braiding it up to keep my hands out of it. :ohwell: But then I wouldn't have as much access to it to do my bi-weekly henna and Joico. What's a girl to do? LOL Sigh... guess I'll just have to suck it up and stop playing in my tresses. :spinning:

Okay I'm airdrying right now. I would say my hair feels like an 8. Still waiting on Methi like an addict!

Hey Taz! That is one protein rich reggie! Each strand on your head must be a lean, mean, protein backed machine. Cool!

I would like to commit to henna once every other week, as well. Followed by the Joico and a DC. I'm using the GVP Joico until my real deal gets here.

I had been wondering if it would be ok to continue to do the hard protein every six weeks if I keep my protein content up throughout. So, it's really cool to see that you will be doing that. Can you please keep us posted? I would love to know how it's working out for you. :)

As it is, I'm so in love with the way my hair feels right now that I've been thinking about braiding it up to keep my hands out of it. :ohwell: But then I wouldn't have as much access to it to do my bi-weekly henna and Joico. What's a girl to do? LOL Sigh... guess I'll just have to suck it up and stop playing in my tresses. :spinning:

Uhmmm, I'd be very careful with doing this (the bolded) Sheba1. I'd say listen to what your hair is telling you. Don't necessarily put it on a protein regimen like that per se, especially if you're going to be incorporating henna in your regimen as well. Pay very close attention to how your hair is responding to the many different products you're using on your hair. This goes for everyone in this challenge by the way, including me:yep:.

I want to join this challenge. I believe that my 4BBBB hair loves protein as well.

I will wash with Aphogee for damaged hair or Kera Care 1st lather and moisturizing shampoos once per week.

I will do my Ayuvedic co-wash mix 2x per week.

I will use the GVP K-Pak 2X per week

I will use my SAA after every other wash along with Aphogee Keratin leave in the week that I am not using the SAA.

I will either use the Aphogee leave in conditioner or Cantu Shea butter leave in.

Aphogee 2-step every six weeks and 1 week before a relaxer.

Finally, I will henna every other week.

I have been doing this for a week now and my hair feels FANTASTIC. I will post pictures after my next touch up.

Yeah taz, Sheba's right - I think this too much protein. Remember, one of the instructions/precautions of this challenge is moderation depending on what and how much protein your hair actually need. Oh and I though Keracare 1st lather was a clarifying poo, isn't it? I wouldn't use it once a week if I were you if it is:nono:. It will eventually strip your hair of moisture. I would recommend using it every 3 weeks maybe - that's safer unless you have very hard water, in which case you can use it every 2 weeks instead. Tweak this regimen a little to include more moisturizing conditioners and leave-ins and exclude some of the protein, okay?

ETA: I know that you've been doing this for a week now and it seems fine for now but eventually, your hair just might rebel from all the protein.

Last edited:
Hey ladies got to update you again. I couldn't go to sleep with my hair just feeling alright . I wanted more. so I grabbed my joico kpac and put it on my dry hair and jumped in shower rinsed and repeated. I'm feeling much better. My hair is stronger. I say I'm at a 8 right now.

O wow I wonder why the ends acting like that? Yeah it might be time for a trim. The products sound wonderful. Where did you find them?

I know, it's so weird. I rarely trim their hair because I never see splits. But she is in need of one. I def need to keep a closer eye on her hair from now on. It looks like she may lose about an inch or so because they go up the strands. The hydrasoft spray, I got from www.hairveda.com The sunsilk I got from www.afroveda.com Q

:grin:
You doing great with your regimine. Stick to it. Don't do like me and use a shampoo that was to moisturizing:wallbash:. Hey I need someone to take aim at me the next time I don't use my garnier shampoo. Its been strengthening my hair along with the DC I have been using. i cant come on here with anymore horror stories!:cry3:. Lesson learned. Stick to my garnier long and strong!
You know, I do use that CON shampoo and it is VERY moisturizing. I love it but could it make my protein treatments null and void? Never thought about that!
I know, when your hair (not you) loves something, don't fix it if it ain't broken. So many times we say, "I love this and I lurve that!" when half the time we fall in love over the smell of the product or initial slip or a rave review. But have we stopped to ask, "Hair, this is (put your name here). I was wondering if you loved "so-in-so" because I sho been using it on you. I'm sorry. I never ask you your opinion. If you have any objections, Hair, to what I am putting on you, just let me know. You know the usual, inevitable signs: dry hair, breaking hair, mushy hair, frizzy hair, etc., just let me know!" :lachen:

HAIR CHECK FOR THE WEEK
UNBELIEVABLE, I WANT TO CRY! ITS BEEN 8 DAYS SINCE I WASHED MY HAIR CAUSE I BEEN SO BUSY AND LOOK WHAT I DID. WASHED WITH GVP AMINO POO(FIRST TIME USING) YAWL KNOW I LOVE MY GARNIER BUT I WANTED TO TRY MY NEW SHAMPOO:cry3:AND WHY OH WHY DID I GET MY TRADER JOE NORISH SPA TO HELP DETANGLE:wallbash:. MY HAIR WAS LITERALLY COMING OUT OF MY SCALP DOWN THE DRAIN. I HAVENT SEEN THIS IN A LONGGGG TIME. :cry3:ANYWAY I SPRAYED MY HAIR WITH DUOTEX AND WAITED 10 MIN. RINSED AND MY HAIR. IT WAS STILL COMING OUT AND WEAK. I HAD TO GO AND GET MY 911 LEAVE IN AND SATURATE MY HAIR WITH IT OVER THE SINK AND RINSE. I HAVENT USED THAT TECHNIQUE IN A LONG TIME BUT WOW IT WORKED. MY HAIR WAS BACK TO NORMAL FEELING STRONG AGAIN. :clapping: . I AM NOW SITTING AT THE COMPUTER WITH MY MAIN AND TAIL MIXED WITH MY OPTIMUM RECONSTRUCTOR IN MY HAIR AND HAPPY ALL OVER AGAIN. I WILL RATE MY HAIR AFTER I RINSE IT OUT. I WILL NEVER EVER, EVER USE A MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO OR A MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER TO DETANGLE MY HAIR:wallbash: AGAIN. I'M JUST HOPING I STILL HAVE HAIR LEFT ON MY HEAD. I'M STICKING TO MY ORIGINAL SHAMPOO AND THATS IT! WHAT A LESSON TO LEARN.

Awwh Patricia:bighug:I am so sorry about your mishap, ms. lady. But sometimes, we learn our biggest triumph comes from the biggest tribulation. I never moisturizing poos and condishes could do just that to your hair, especially after you have been incorporating protein. Wow! You got a sista scurred over here. I am about to put up that CON and Aussie!
I am glad you got back on track though.

Okay - Did a prepoo with Lustrasilk Mango mixed with castor/evoo/coconut oil (practicing self relax) left on while on treadmill, rinsed and washed with Nexxus Botanoil followed up with MT for about 20 minutes - rinsed and put a little Kenra in my hair (let it dry overnight) rinsed this morning - rollersetting and will be on to work (under the dryer now) ...Hair is feeling pretty good:yep:- sorry for the run-on sentence :spinning:

Checkin in: I used Nexxus Emergencee yesterday for 30 mins with shower cap and hair is rejuvenated! I followed with Hairveda sitrinillah for 1 hour with shower cap and no heat and found hair to be a little mushy wet, but fine once dried. That deep conditioner is no joke to combat emergencee like that! Would give my hair an 8 now because when I woke up this morning it was rather dry despite NTM and castor oil mix sealing last night.

Protein is about to be my best friend. I might have to bump my usage up. Did quickie Aphogee last Wednesday, all good. Washed and DC'd w/ Kenra on Sunday-hair looked good, felt good. But yesterday and today, too much breakage and shedding for me. Sometimes I feel like I am losing this hair battle. So tonight I am gonna DC w/ AO GPB on dry hair for about 2-3 hours (while at the gym), is that ok to leave it on that long? Then I will try the Aussie Deeeeeppp conditioner. I'll let yall know how it goes.

I know, it's so weird. I rarely trim their hair because I never see splits. But she is in need of one. I def need to keep a closer eye on her hair from now on. It looks like she may lose about an inch or so because they go up the strands. The hydrasoft spray, I got from www.hairveda.com The sunsilk I got from www.afroveda.com Q
Oh OK I heard so many good things about hairveda products! Thanks for the link I will check out afroveda too!

:grin:
You know, I do use that CON shampoo and it is VERY moisturizing. I love it but could it make my protein treatments null and void? Never thought about that!
I know, when your hair (not you) loves something, don't fix it if it ain't broken. So many times we say, "I love this and I lurve that!" when half the time we fall in love over the smell of the product or initial slip or a rave review. But have we stopped to ask, "Hair, this is (put your name here). I was wondering if you loved "so-in-so" because I sho been using it on you. I'm sorry. I never ask you your opinion. If you have any objections, Hair, to what I am putting on you, just let me know. You know the usual, inevitable signs: dry hair, breaking hair, mushy hair, frizzy hair, etc., just let me know!" :lachen:
If its working don't change it. I know I have to listen a little closer to my hair. I was so excited about the new product but who knows. It could be a mixture of things. I got a shipment of rusk in the mail and put some on my ends. OMG who knows maybe too much moisture altogether for the week! I def will be on this hair journey longer than expected:yep:I KNOW THATS RIGHT I'M ASKING NEXT TIME!

Awwh Patricia:bighug:I am so sorry about your mishap, ms. lady. But sometimes, we learn our biggest triumph comes from the biggest tribulation. I never moisturizing poos and condishes could do just that to your hair, especially after you have been incorporating protein. Wow! You got a sista scurred over here. I am about to put up that CON and Aussie!
I am glad you got back on track though.
NO WAY DON'T PAY ME NO ATTENTION. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DOING. I'M THINKING THE POO PUT THE ICING ON THE CAKE. I MAY HAVE USED TO MUCH MOISTURE FOR THE WEEK. WHO KNOWS. NO WORRIES IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!:grin: THANKS TGROW

Okay - Did a prepoo with Lustrasilk Mango mixed with castor/evoo/coconut oil (practicing self relax) left on while on treadmill, rinsed and washed with Nexxus Botanoil followed up with MT for about 20 minutes - rinsed and put a little Kenra in my hair (let it dry overnight) rinsed this morning - rollersetting and will be on to work (under the dryer now) ...Hair is feeling pretty good:yep:- sorry for the run-on sentence :spinning:
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! DANG I HAVEN'T USED BOTANOIL I N A VERY LONG TIME. I USE TO PUT IT ON MY WEAVES TOO

Checkin in: I used Nexxus Emergencee yesterday for 30 mins with shower cap and hair is rejuvenated! I followed with Hairveda sitrinillah for 1 hour with shower cap and no heat and found hair to be a little mushy wet, but fine once dried. That deep conditioner is no joke to combat emergencee like that! Would give my hair an 8 now because when I woke up this morning it was rather dry despite NTM and castor oil mix sealing last night.
HEY THERE THATS GOOD RATING. DO YOU THINK YOUR MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER WORKED ALL THE PROTEIN BENEFITS OUT OF YOUR HAIR. I'M JUST ASKING CAUSE YOU SAID YOU HAIR WAS KINDA MUSHY. WHEN I NOTICED MY HAIR BEING MUSHY FROM DCing TO LONG. I GOT TO DO A QUICK PROTIEN BOOST OF CONDITIONER OF SOME SORT. DON'T LIKE THAT MUSHY FEELING. BEEN THERE. JUST A THOUGHT

Protein is about to be my best friend. I might have to bump my usage up. Did quickie Aphogee last Wednesday, all good. Washed and DC'd w/ Kenra on Sunday-hair looked good, felt good. But yesterday and today, too much breakage and shedding for me. Sometimes I feel like I am losing this hair battle. So tonight I am gonna DC w/ AO GPB on dry hair for about 2-3 hours (while at the gym), is that ok to leave it on that long? Then I will try the Aussie Deeeeeppp conditioner. I'll let yall know how it goes.
YES PLEASE LET US KNOW. IT CAN BE FRUSTRATING AT TIMES

i suspect this is what i need, too. i finally found an effective moisturizer, but my hair is still experiencing some breakage. i can only guess that means i'm lacking in protein. maybe i threw off the balance when i started using a moisturizer that actually works?

So sorry to hear of your setback, Patricia. :imsorry: Thank goodness it was minor; you caught it in time and took immediate action! I'm sure that Nexxus will :clubu:that mushiness. You'll have perfect balance and feeling all 10'd out by next week, I'm sure of it. :yep:

LOL @ all 10'd out!!! I'm trying to get there too!

HEY THERE THATS GOOD RATING. DO YOU THINK YOUR MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER WORKED ALL THE PROTEIN BENEFITS OUT OF YOUR HAIR. I'M JUST ASKING CAUSE YOU SAID YOU HAIR WAS KINDA MUSHY. WHEN I NOTICED MY HAIR BEING MUSHY FROM DCing TO LONG. I GOT TO DO A QUICK PROTIEN BOOST OF CONDITIONER OF SOME SORT. DON'T LIKE THAT MUSHY FEELING. BEEN THERE. JUST A THOUGHT

Yeah I thought about that, but the "mushy" feeling seemed to go away so I'm hoping all is good. I have been using megatek everyday on my scalp, so I think that helps combat any possible movement too close to the moisture side of town.

So sorry to hear about your setback :sad: but glad you know your hair so well that you knew something was wrong and fixed it! Carry on our fearless leader! :grin:

Yes that will be fine - I have even left it on overnight - it is a mild protein so it did not make my hair fell hard...

i suspect this is what i need, too. i finally found an effective moisturizer, but my hair is still experiencing some breakage. i can only guess that means i'm lacking in protein. maybe i threw off the balance when i started using a moisturizer that actually works?
Good to hear you found a moisturizer you like. Protein treatments or reconstructor helps out hair hold moisture in. Works hand in/and(?) hand. So avoiding protein for the most part can cause your hair to not retain the moisture we use.

Hi all! I'm checking in for this week. Here's what i used:

Nexxus Emergencee: left it in to dry for an hour. Rinsed out, applied conditioner for a few minutes.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave In: Applied this as my leave-in conditioner/moisturizer. I'm hoping it boosts my protein. I used this on dry straightened hair and it made my hair feel great.

Results: My hair feels about a 7, maybe 8. It's still feeling slightly too soft and weak but improving. I may make a trip to the BSS to find Aphogee or something else.

Yeah I thought about that, but the "mushy" feeling seemed to go away so I'm hoping all is good. I have been using megatek everyday on my scalp, so I think that helps combat any possible movement too close to the moisture side of town.

So sorry to hear about your setback :sad: but glad you know your hair so well that you knew something was wrong and fixed it! Carry on our fearless leader! :grin:
Thanks jdandbeyond. Thats funny. No way honey:lachen:Yawl leading me! We in this together

Hi all! I'm checking in for this week. Here's what i used:

Nexxus Emergencee: left it in to dry for an hour. Rinsed out, applied conditioner for a few minutes.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave In: Applied this as my leave-in conditioner/moisturizer. I'm hoping it boosts my protein. I used this on dry straightened hair and it made my hair feel great.

Results: My hair feels about a 7, maybe 8. It's still feeling slightly too soft and weak but improving. I may make a trip to the BSS to find Aphogee or something else.
I have cantu shea butter too! its very moisturizing. Havent used it in a while. Last night when I used the joico kpak I didn't follow up with no moisture. I'm sick and tired of my hair being weak and mushy. My hair is very happy this week cause I didn't use moisture afterwards!

Patricia--Is the Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol mild protein? Here are the ingredients...

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Shea (Butyrospermum Parkii) Butter Mango (Mangifera Indica) Seed Butter, Cholesterol, Soybean, (Glycine Soja) Oil, Safflower (Carhamus Tinctorius) oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Aloe vera Extract, Fragrance, Vitamin E, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA Yeloow #5 Yellow #6

Patricia--Is the Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol mild protein? Here are the ingredients...

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Shea (Butyrospermum Parkii) Butter Mango (Mangifera Indica) Seed Butter, Cholesterol, Soybean, (Glycine Soja) Oil, Safflower (Carhamus Tinctorius) oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Aloe vera Extract, Fragrance, Vitamin E, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA Yeloow #5 Yellow #6
looks like its a good moisturizing conditioner. I don't see any protien ingredients. I know one cholesterol brand have protein. maybe its the Lekair brand. queen helene is moisture too. Hey ladies let me know if I overlooked something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back