PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking In:

**Im going to do this once a month before my press**

Proteins I used: I washed with Mastey Restore Shampoo, Applied Deep Brillance Silk Keratin 17 (hard protein), conditioned with Deva Curl One Condition and Applied Joico K-Pak leave in.

How my hair felt: 7, My hair wasn't as soft as usual, but I wasn't it expecting it to be after using a hard protein... the protein treatment didn't even get hard as it normally does, so I am assuming by hair is healthy. I noticed less breakage. I normally have a lot of breakage when I detangle and blow-dry. I counted 3 broken hairs.

What can I do to achieve 10: I don't think I will change anything for my monthly treatment. For my weekly treatment I will use Aphoghee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer and the ProVitamin Leave-In. I will continue to moisturize nightly with ORS Olive Oil Lotion.

Okay so I DC today with UBH Deep Conditioner and followed it with SE Mega Cholesterol and Aussie Tnree Minute for added moisture and slip. My hair has not, and I repeat, has not shed or broke as much since my egg mixture/treatment last week. The UBH Deep Condish does have a reconstructor in it so I plan on using it weekly if not twice a week during my DC.
Right now I am seven weeks post and if you would have told me in the past to go almost two months post relaxer without braids or a wig, I prolly would have thought you were Pres. Bush, threw a shoe at ya, and dared you to duck:grin:
My last relaxer was on November 29, 2008 and the stylist (who I haven't seen since mid December and don't plan on going back) told me that day that my hair was shedding because I needed a relaxer.:ohwell: No DC, no protein treatments, no moisturization, but a relaxer will solve your ailments. Needless to say, that just didn't sit right with me. I had to prove her wrong so here I am again taking care of my own hair and it feels so good.:lick:
You doing great with your regimine. Stick to it. Don't do like me and use a shampoo that was to moisturizing:wallbash:. Hey I need someone to take aim at me the next time I don't use my garnier shampoo. Its been strengthening my hair along with the DC I have been using. i cant come on here with anymore horror stories!:cry3:. Lesson learned. Stick to my garnier long and strong!

I came VERY close to buying Mastey poos but I couldn't find any reviews on the board and didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering online. Have you been using Mastey products long? How do you like them?

I've only tried this particular shampoo and so far I like it. It doesn't leave the hair soft, but it doesn't leave the hair stripped either. I only lather up once and pay particular attention to the scalp. I'm pretty sure it works best with the rest of the restore line, but they weren't at Marshall's for $9.99:grin:

I am joining this challenge. I recently discovered that my hair needs some amount of protein in my regime. I BCed in March of 2008 and I ended up cutting more and more because my hair was very damaged and dry. I think my hair was damaged because I had cut protein off my regime completly. I done my last chop last month, and ever since I started to incorporate protein in my regime and my hair is feeling better.
Welcome Changed life I added you! What products are you using now?

Hi Soror (1st bolded) - isn't that a beautiful thang...that's what happened when I started using Ultra Sheen DT - You are going to prove her wrong!!! (2nd bolded) I wouldn't do the shoe thingee - I would probably throw some of these old bobo hair products from under my sink at him:lachen::lachen:

I see we are neck and neck - my last retouch was on 11/25...trying to stretch until Valentine's Day (unlikely)
LMAO you are funny:lachen:

I took a closer look at her hair today. I still need to take pics. She has a lot of knots on her ends right now. I think next week I am going to take her in to get a trim. I took out the bantu knots, braided her hair in about 4 sections, pulled it back into a lose bun, sprayed her ends with hydrasoft and sealed with some afroveda sunsilk. Q

I' m in.

Currently I'm using GPB and Emengencee. I've been using the GPB 1x/wk for a few mins before I do my moisture dc. I did the emegencee this wknd b/c I was getting breakage at the demarcation line. Anyway right now I would say my hair is a 7or 8. To get to a 10 I just need to continue to listen to my hair needs, I'm still learning. I will start doing the emergencee monthly or as needed.
Welcome I added you to the challenge!:yep: Good to hear you at 7 or 8. I'm still trying to make it to a 10 too! What is GPB?

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Nexxus Emergencee
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? if this aint a 10, idk what is:grin:
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? N/A

I washed with Nexxus aloe rid. Aplied Emergencee and sat under dryer for 10 minutes it made my hair hard. I washed with relaxed and natural shampoo(it was ok). DC'ed for 1hr with alter ego garlic impac ego (my hair loves it). Rollersetted using NTM silk touch leave in, few sprays of infusium 23, Sebastain Potion 9. My hair came out very soft, semi shiny and feels silky. I am 13 weeks post and my new growth looks good now.
If I was to take a poll I bet I would be sure that most people on here use emergencee to achieve a number 10. Yes thank you so much for your input. This is really helping us.:yep:

Hey Sqzbly (SkeE WeE), we've got to screngthen (and I did say screngthen) each other on this one. Although my hair is stronger it's definitely not as soft as I would like. It still has the tendency to feel like straw when dry:wallbash: I tried that Roux porosity control like you suggested in a thread I started several weeks ago. That stuff is like ish; maybe I am not using it right. Anyhoo, like I state, my hair stronger but it feels dry and RAWFGH (rough). Any suggestions ladies?
Everytime you post I gots to say sumetine. You are halariousssss sis:lachen:

i don't know if any one has mentioned this, but i was thinking if i'm not mistaken, can ORS Mayo, and ORS replenishing pack also go on your list of protein conditioners??
Ok thanks, and ladies please list any other that is not listed!

I bought Sally's GVP Joico-k pak and Redken anti-snap and I am soooo happy!!! :love: These two are definitely going to be staples. They cut down on my breakage. I'm 4-5 weeks post.
I saw the anti snap at sallys. I thought about buying but changed my mind. I have soooo many leave in its not funny. Heck I just bought aphogee leave in today, and Rusk leave in just arrived in the mail. OH boy. I got to seriously stop buying!:yep:

They are extremely mild in protein content but they are also moisturizing as well. If your hair needs something a little stronger, then get one of the other moderate strength ones mentioned in this thread, like Nexxus emergencee or Duo Tex, etc.
So do you think they should be listed? the ors products

Checking In:

**Im going to do this once a month before my press**

Proteins I used: I washed with Mastey Restore Shampoo, Applied Deep Brillance Silk Keratin 17 (hard protein), conditioned with Deva Curl One Condition and Applied Joico K-Pak leave in.

How my hair felt: 7, My hair wasn't as soft as usual, but I wasn't it expecting it to be after using a hard protein... the protein treatment didn't even get hard as it normally does, so I am assuming by hair is healthy. I noticed less breakage. I normally have a lot of breakage when I detangle and blow-dry. I counted 3 broken hairs.

What can I do to achieve 10: I don't think I will change anything for my monthly treatment. For my weekly treatment I will use Aphoghee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer and the ProVitamin Leave-In. I will continue to moisturize nightly with ORS Olive Oil Lotion.
Wow your hair looks so healthy!:yep: Where you get that product from? Never heard of it. How long you been using it? 7 is a very good rating. I'm hoping after I rinse my hair I can say that.

HAIR CHECK FOR THE WEEK
UNBELIEVABLE, I WANT TO CRY! ITS BEEN 8 DAYS SINCE I WASHED MY HAIR CAUSE I BEEN SO BUSY AND LOOK WHAT I DID. WASHED WITH GVP AMINO POO(FIRST TIME USING) YAWL KNOW I LOVE MY GARNIER BUT I WANTED TO TRY MY NEW SHAMPOO:cry3:AND WHY OH WHY DID I GET MY TRADER JOE NORISH SPA TO HELP DETANGLE:wallbash:. MY HAIR WAS LITERALLY COMING OUT OF MY SCALP DOWN THE DRAIN. I HAVENT SEEN THIS IN A LONGGGG TIME. :cry3:ANYWAY I SPRAYED MY HAIR WITH DUOTEX AND WAITED 10 MIN. RINSED AND MY HAIR. IT WAS STILL COMING OUT AND WEAK. I HAD TO GO AND GET MY 911 LEAVE IN AND SATURATE MY HAIR WITH IT OVER THE SINK AND RINSE. I HAVENT USED THAT TECHNIQUE IN A LONG TIME BUT WOW IT WORKED. MY HAIR WAS BACK TO NORMAL FEELING STRONG AGAIN. :clapping: . I AM NOW SITTING AT THE COMPUTER WITH MY MAIN AND TAIL MIXED WITH MY OPTIMUM RECONSTRUCTOR IN MY HAIR AND HAPPY ALL OVER AGAIN. I WILL RATE MY HAIR AFTER I RINSE IT OUT. I WILL NEVER EVER, EVER USE A MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO OR A MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER TO DETANGLE MY HAIR:wallbash: AGAIN. I'M JUST HOPING I STILL HAVE HAIR LEFT ON MY HEAD. I'M STICKING TO MY ORIGINAL SHAMPOO AND THATS IT! WHAT A LESSON TO LEARN.

I am so sorry this happened to you Patricia. It only goes to show, we should never try to fix something that's not broken:yep:. There are certain poos that my hair really love and then there are others that are...meh, at best. I am learning which ones will remain as my staples one by one and which ones will never see the light of day when it comes to my hair.

Welcome I added you to the challenge!:yep: Good to hear you at 7 or 8. I'm still trying to make it to a 10 too! What is GPB?
It's GPB and it's Aubrey Organics Glycogen, Protein and Balancing Poo and conditioner.

So do you think they should be listed? the ors products

Sure, but as a moisture and mild protein conditioner.

Oh no Patricia sorry to hear this!:sad: Do you think it was the fact that it was moisturizing or could it have been the brand? Which Garnier poo do you use?

I have avoided protein because I have brittle hair which snaps when pulled rather then stretching, so I thought protein was for people with stretchy strands, after reading this thread I feel like I should maybe alternate my moisturizing conditioner with a protein conditioner or should I just add egg to my current conditioner and olive oil mix as I am experience quite a bit of breakage. Is egg a hard or mild protein? Will it be too much? I plan to wash my hair tomorrow. I also have mizani fulfyl conditioner, which is supposed to contain the 'right' balance of moisture and protein, ever since I realised it had protein in it, I stopped using it. Does anybody already use this? Quite a few people have said they were going to cut their hair but then using protein has made them no longer need to cut. I feel like I need a trim, but if this saves me, I may just need to dust.

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Sally's GVP Joico K-Pak
HOW DOES YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 9!
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? The products were perfect. I think doing it every week for a month would take it over the top.

I tried to replicate Klomax's weekly reggie last night. I cowashed with Suave Humectant mixed with 1 tablespoon baking soda. My hair came out really clean and springy but not stripped. Really nice. I did the K-Pak for 10 minutes with a shower cap, no heat. Followed up with a bangin DC. I mixed Silk Elements mega silk with suave humectant, honey, molasses and amla oil. I rubbed vatika oil into my hair and topped it with my DC mix; covered with cap and applied heat for 20 minutes. My hair was just :lick:. I dry my hair in twists and you know how your hair looks darker when it's really holding moisture? It was so cool. That's the first time my hair looked like that.

This weekend, I'll do a henna treatment followed by the above, which Klomax does bi-weekly. I'm really excited by how my hair felt. I didn't have all the necessary products to follow my henna properly on Friday and it was :nono:. My hair was stripped and tangling something awful and I don't think I'd gotten all the henna out. It was a 4 on Friday. It's a 9 today. I figure it'll be a 10 after following this reggie for a month.

I have avoided protein because I have brittle hair which snaps when pulled rather then stretching, so I thought protein was for people with stretchy strands, after reading this thread I feel like I should maybe alternate my moisturizing conditioner with a protein conditioner or should I just add egg to my current conditioner and olive oil mix as I am experience quite a bit of breakage. Is egg a hard or mild protein? Will it be too much? I plan to wash my hair tomorrow. I also have mizani fulfyl conditioner, which is supposed to contain the 'right' balance of moisture and protein, ever since I realised it had protein in it, I stopped using it. Does anybody already use this? Quite a few people have said they were going to cut their hair but then using protein has made them no longer need to cut. I feel like I need a trim, but if this saves me, I may just need to dust.

Hey there, Brittle_hair! So, how long have you been moisturizing to battle the brittleness? If you've been trying to infuse your hair with moisture but aren't getting the results you were looking for than, just as you stated, it really may be protein that's missing in your puzzle. Why not try one of the protein treatments the ladies have listed here and just see what it does to your hair. Try a moderate one. If it's protein your missing, your hair will tell you immediately. :yep: Then follow that protein up with a really nice DC with heat and watch it work.

I'm not sure how strong egg is on the protein strength list, but my first protein treatment was a hard one, and there was no looking back for me. My hair was suddenly fabulous. I'm not saying that everyone needs hard protein. But I had never had one and there was an immediate improvement. So, I would try one of the pre-made, tested and proven reconstructors. Especially since you are relaxed and your strands might need some serious "reconstructing". I don't relax but my hair is FINE, so I know it's prone to damage and breakage. Protein/moisture balance puts a :hammer: to that. :yep:

I took a closer look at her hair today. I still need to take pics. She has a lot of knots on her ends right now. I think next week I am going to take her in to get a trim. I took out the bantu knots, braided her hair in about 4 sections, pulled it back into a lose bun, sprayed her ends with hydrasoft and sealed with some afroveda sunsilk. Q
O wow I wonder why the ends acting like that? Yeah it might be time for a trim. The products sound wonderful. Where did you find them?

Oh no Patricia sorry to hear this!:sad: Do you think it was the fact that it was moisturizing or could it have been the brand? Which Garnier poo do you use?
I know can you believe it! You just gave me something to think about. I think it was too moisturizing(i think). I use garnier length and strength and it has my hair feeling so nice and strong. I could tell this stuff made my hair mushy. Thats strange mushy just by washing. I'm really going to be on this journey longer than I think. Plus I call myself trying to detangle under the water(havent did forever). using another moisturizing conditioner. I guess today I was just stuck on stupid. I'm getting ready to rinse out my hair now. hopefully I can rate my hair without crying:cry3:

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Sally's GVP Joico K-Pak
HOW DOES YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 9!
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? The products were perfect. I think doing it every week for a month would take it over the top.

I tried to replicate Klomax's weekly reggie last night. I cowashed with Suave Humectant mixed with 1 tablespoon baking soda. My hair came out really clean and springy but not stripped. Really nice. I did the K-Pak for 10 minutes with a shower cap, no heat. Followed up with a bangin DC. I mixed Silk Elements mega silk with suave humectant, honey, molasses and amla oil. I rubbed vatika oil into my hair and topped it with my DC mix; covered with cap and applied heat for 20 minutes. My hair was just :lick:. I dry my hair in twists and you know how your hair looks darker when it's really holding moisture? It was so cool. That's the first time my hair looked like that.

This weekend, I'll do a henna treatment followed by the above, which Klomax does bi-weekly. I'm really excited by how my hair felt. I didn't have all the necessary products to follow my henna properly on Friday and it was :nono:. My hair was stripped and tangling something awful and I don't think I'd gotten all the henna out. It was a 4 on Friday. It's a 9 today. I figure it'll be a 10 after following this reggie for a month.
:woot::dance7:WONDERFUL

Hello I don't know the answer I'm hoping someone else will chime in.

I want to join this challenge. I believe that my 4BBBB hair loves protein as well.

I will wash with Aphogee for damaged hair or Kera Care 1st lather and moisturizing shampoos once per week.

I will do my Ayuvedic co-wash mix 2x per week.

I will use the GVP K-Pak 2X per week

I will use my SAA after every other wash along with Aphogee Keratin leave in the week that I am not using the SAA.

I will either use the Aphogee leave in conditioner or Cantu Shea butter leave in.

Aphogee 2-step every six weeks and 1 week before a relaxer.

Finally, I will henna every other week.

I have been doing this for a week now and my hair feels FANTASTIC. I will post pictures after my next touch up.

I want to join this challenge. I believe that my 4BBBB hair loves protein as well.

I will wash with Aphogee for damaged hair or Kera Care 1st lather and moisturizing shampoos once per week.

I will do my Ayuvedic co-wash mix 2x per week.

I will use the GVP K-Pak 2X per week

I will use my SAA after every other wash along with Aphogee Keratin leave in the week that I am not using the SAA.

I will either use the Aphogee leave in conditioner or Cantu Shea butter leave in.

Aphogee 2-step every six weeks and 1 week before a relaxer.

Finally, I will henna every other week.

I have been doing this for a week now and my hair feels FANTASTIC. I will post pictures after my next touch up.
Welcome taz007 I'm adding you! keep us posted sounds like you have your regimine all figured out!

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have SAA too. I have added it to my conditioners and poos. I put it directly on my ends also. I also put some directly in my last relaxer and sprayed it on my new growth prior to relaxing. My hair definitely has a silky and strong feel to it now. I have Hairveda's Moist Condition Pro on my hair right now with a plastic cap on.

Ok I just rinsed my conditioner out. I'm going to say I'm a 7 this week. Got to get better. Just had a minor setback using a shampoo that was too moisturizing. Hopefully by next week I'll have the nexxus emergencee!

Ok I just rinsed my conditioner out. I'm going to say I'm a 7 this week. Got to get better. Just had a minor setback using a shampoo that was too moisturizing. Hopefully by next week I'll have the nexxus emergencee!

So sorry to hear of your setback, Patricia. :imsorry: Thank goodness it was minor; you caught it in time and took immediate action! I'm sure that Nexxus will :clubu:that mushiness. You'll have perfect balance and feeling all 10'd out by next week, I'm sure of it. :yep:

Well first what you need to understand brittle_hair is that protein is needed to help the hair absorb moisture. So by depriving your hair of protein, you have done more damage than good. I would recommend trying something like Abba pure recovery or Joico K-Pak Reconstructor because of the tri-molecular proteins in them and you could also get a protein treatment like Duo Tex, Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor, etc about once a week. Remember to always follow up the protein treatments with a moisturiizing deep conditioner to keep the hair supple.

I believe egg is a moderate to strong type protein, not sure though. I have never used it on my hair. Hopefully someone who has used it might chime in about it's usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back