Votes: 8 7.9%
  • I am relaxed, do not PS and my retention could be better

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I am natural, do not PS and my retention coud be better

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

I had a thought as i was washing my hair last night and realized all the shed hair I had. If I did not PS and in some wash manipulated my hair everyday my retention would probably be non existent lol.

For those of you who PS often as in hiding your ends....do you feel your retention is great because of the PSing?

Good question! I want to know too bc I do PS often but not constantly and I think I want try to PS for a year to keep my hands out of my hair. Also those who do PS all the time how do you DC and things like that if you are keeping your hair up for 2-4 months at a time? The longest I've kept a sew in was a month! TIA

I protective style daily with buns, clips and updos. I do think it has helped with retention. I started with ear length hair and now I'm chasing waist length and I attribute that to PS and dcing 2/3 times per week.

Good question! I want to know too bc I do PS often but not constantly and I think I want try to PS for a year to keep my hands out of my hair. Also those who do PS all the time how do you DC and things like that if you are keeping your hair up for 2-4 months at a time? The longest I've kept a sew in was a month! TIA

Hi HairPleezeGrow I will admit that I did not begin to see retention until i started PSing. I make my own wigs and PS about 90% of the time...my hair is now slightly below APL.

I protective style daily with buns, clips and updos. I do think it has helped with retention. I started with ear length hair and now I'm chasing waist length and I attribute that to PS and dcing 2/3 times per week.

closertomydreams that is some awesome growth! so do you PS or wear your hair in low manipulation styles?

My retention has been OK up until now. But I think I'm hitting a plateau. I normally just co-wash every other day, seal in the moisture and wear a puff or bun. I want to retain more, but I don't want to change whats working for me.

closertomydreams said:
I protective style daily with buns, clips and updos. I do think it has helped with retention. I started with ear length hair and now I'm chasing waist length and I attribute that to PS and dcing 2/3 times per week.[/QUOTE

Thats amazing! Do u do braidouts for ur protective style? Are u natural?

I am natural, co-wash almost daily, and mainly do WnG, ponytails, and, in the last month, buns. Could my retention have been faster wearing wigs and extensions? I don't know, but I am happy with it as it is and it fits my life and aesthetic. In September, it will be two years since my last relaxer and I am under an inch from APL despite a shape-up last October and overzealous trim in April. I am happy with my progress.

Are people suggesting their hair would not retain without protective styling or that it would not retain as much?

Ogoma said:
I am natural, co-wash almost daily, and mainly do WnG, ponytails, and, in the last month, buns. Could my retention have been faster wearing wigs and extensions? I don't know, but I am happy with it as it is and it fits my life and aesthetic. In September, it will be two years since my last relaxer and I am under an inch from APL despite a shape-up last October and overzealous trim in April. I am happy with my progress.

Are people suggesting their hair would not retain without protective styling or that it would not retain as much?

I think that's great retention!

I like PS'ing because I don't have time to fuss with my hair in the mornings anyway. I chose "I'm relaxed and feel that PS is great for my retention". Been wearing wigs over a year now and my retention stems 100% from that alone.

I can't speak for other people but I know personally that I won't retain as MUCH as I do if I wasn't wearing my wigs. I know this because I tried it for 8 months in 2010, wash routine remained the same, but I retained nothing for 8 months. I probably saw like an inch difference. I wore wigs 100% of the time for the next 8 months and well....siggy tells it all. *shrugs*
Some people are soooooo lucky to be able to grow their hair down their backs and not PS at all and retain everything. Unfortunately, I'm not that person. :lachen:

Its taken me 2yrs to reach apl from a twa wearing wigs 99% of the time. I don't no if that's good or bad

That sounds like me.

I see it as the half glass empty or full philosophy. Without protective styling, you could have just been nl or even sl after 2yrs. So I'd say you are making good strides.:yep:

pre_medicalrulz said:
I can't speak for other people but I know personally that I won't retain as MUCH as I do if I wasn't wearing my wigs. I know this because I tried it for 8 months in 2010, wash routine remained the same, but I retained nothing for 8 months. I probably saw like an inch difference. I wore wigs 100% of the time for the next 8 months and well....siggy tells it all. *shrugs*
Some people are soooooo lucky to be able to grow their hair down their backs and not PS at all and retain everything. Unfortunately, I'm not that person. :lachen:

I think strand thickness has a lot to do with it and I handle my hair gently.

I like PS'ing because I don't have time to fuss with my hair in the mornings anyway. I chose "I'm relaxed and feel that PS is great for my retention". Been wearing wigs over a year now and my retention stems 100% from that alone.

pre_medicalrulz This is very inspiring....especially since u have become one of my hair idols. I wear wigs about 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Its taken me 2yrs to reach apl from a twa wearing wigs 99% of the time. I don't no if that's good or bad

That sounds like me.

I see it as the half glass empty or full philosophy. Without protective styling, you could have just been nl or even sl after 2yrs. So I'd say you are making good strides.:yep:

lamaria211 and RegaLady what do you ladies do to your haird under your wigs? How often do u shampo,dc,moisturize,etc?

@lamaria211 and @RegaLady what do you ladies do to your haird under your wigs? How often do u shampo,dc,moisturize,etc?

My main protective style of choice are buns. I wash, dc, add a leave in, moisturize, seal with coconut oil, put in twists to stretch them. Take twists out, put loose hair in a banana clip, make three jumbo twists from that hair, take the same three twists and make a big braid, seal, tuck and roll and use hair pins to hold.:spinning: I do this every two weeks.

I have been doing this for almost 8 weeks and intend on wearing this style until December. I have been retaining inches like crazzzyyy!

I had a thought as i was washing my hair last night and realized all the shed hair I had. If I did not PS and in some wash manipulated my hair everyday my retention would probably be non existent lol.

For those of you who PS often as in hiding your ends....do you feel your retention is great because of the PSing?

I started my hair journey at SL relaxed, grew to WL relaxed and am now an inch away from WL natural. I think I've been able to retain 100% of my growth because of low-manipulation AND protective styling. I don't think I would retain as much if I re-did my buns everyday and I also remember when I was relaxed and transitioning, I wore mostly braidouts and I still retained most if not all of my growth. But now that I'm natural, I PS.....I guess 75% of the time. I wear my hair in a braidout for 1 week out of a month and the other 3, it is under a wig or in a bun.

I've never had a sew in so the longest my hair has been untouched since starting my hair journey was like a week. I haven't worn twists, braids, or sew ins since the start of my HHJ back in 2009. Under my wigs, my hair is either in a bun or 2 braids so can be easily manipulated. I usually moisturize every 2-3 days and condition my hair only once a month after I shampoo.

@ IMFOCSD I wash (using a cleansing condish) and DC weekly M&S daily my hair is always in some type if braids

Last edited:
RegaLady said:
My main protective style of choice are buns. I wash, dc, add a leave in, moisturize, seal with coconut oil, put in twists to stretch them. Take twists out, put loose hair in a banana clip, make three jumbo twists from that hair, take the same three twists and make a big braid, seal, tuck and roll and use hair pins to hold.:spinning: I do this every two weeks.

I have been doing this for almost 8 weeks and intend on wearing this style until December. I have been retaining inches like crazzzyyy!

RegaLady, do you take the hair down at night and redo the next morning at anytime during those two weeks?

There's some really good info coming in here ladies! Thanks so much :) keep it coming those who PS in any kind of way and get great retention!

@RegaLady, do you take the hair down at night and redo the next morning at anytime during those two weeks?

msbettyboop

Maybe like three times. I try to keep my bun in, untouched, for a whole week and redo on the weekend if I have somewhere special to go. I sleep in my buns with no issue, because the banana clip doesn't hold the hair tight, so my hair is never tight. Thanks to this method my edges are the longest they have EVER been!

I don't think I could take down every night and redo every morning. That would be too much manipulation for me.

RegaLady said:
msbettyboop

Maybe like three times. I try to keep my bun in, untouched, for a whole week and redo on the weekend if I have somewhere special to go. I sleep in my buns with no issue, because the banana clip doesn't hold the hair tight, so my hair is never tight. Thanks to this method my edges are the longest they have EVER been!

I don't think I could take down every night and redo every morning. That would be too much manipulation for me.

Do you moisturize during the week?

Do you moisturize during the week?

Sometimes I will add moisture when I think my hair is dry, but it never fails how pleasantly suprised I am that the inside of my bun after I untuck and roll, the ends are ALWAYS moist. The outside may feel a bit dry and because of this, I will mist with a spray of water, aloe vera juice, a leave in, glycerin etc.

I PS about 90% of time, and I find that my ends are much better off hidden, they stay moisturized and soft if I wear WnG's, twist outs or braid outs too often my ends are dry and SSK's come rapidly. The elements are not kind to my ends, so PS has definitely helped me with rentention. I wash every 2 weeks with shampoo, co-wash once a week and that is all. I DC, clarify, or pre poo when I feel the need.

closertomydreams I want to know in what time frame are we talking about? I love seeing my curls and my curls do not touch my clothing because of the shrinkage. I go through these spells when I am not feeling well, like now that I put my hair up and it don't bother me. but when I am at my best I want my hair done and bouncing.

Back