Which Protective Style gave you the Most Retention?

PS'g and Retention

• Braids

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • Buns

Votes: 53 30.8%
  • Weaves

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Wigs

Votes: 52 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose weave. For the first 15 months of my transition I wore weave back to back and my retention was phenomenal! I have never worn a wig consistently and I only bunned for one month but I was gon be unemployed wet bunning everyday because it was taking me too long to get ready in the morning lol

Buns, Buns, and more Buns.......

Please share what PS gave you the most retention.

What was your regi with that PS? Shampoo once a week or sometimes every two weeks, moisturize every night, always wear a scarf to bed and relax minimum 12 weeks.

How long/often did you wear it? 7 days a week

What length did you start with and how many inches did you retain?
Shoulder length got all the way to brastrap length..

Bunning and lots of moisture gave me the best length in quick time. I'm starting a new job so I'll be bunning a lot more now again which will definitely help with my transition and length retention.

Primarily cornrows under wigs. The rows allowed for easy scalp access and breathability. I M&S twice per day and water rinsed a couple times per week. Weekly I wash/protein/DC.

I have to redo my braids with every weekly wash though b/c of my texture.

In the summer, I rock mini-braids w/o extensions. I keep them in for about 3 weeks and redo them. I water rinse/cowash daily and do my regular weekly wash/protein/DC.

I started 2011 with CBL hair and ended with hair at the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Wearing cornrows under wigs has helped me the most. I keep the cornrows in for a week making sure to moisturize and seal when needed. Wash, condition, detangle and braid up again for the next week.

Anybody have any tips on bunning almost shoulder length hair? I usually use a donut and Bobby pins but ive found that I always get broken hairs when doing this. Is there another method that is cute? Also for those of you who do bun do you redo your bun daily?

ZLUVSNEWZEE Maybe try a phony bun? Also...maybe try a top knot (high bun) and then you can wear cute headbands or accessories with it until your hair gets longer:yep:

For me:

Buns when relaxed

Wash n go's as a natural head.

I have a question: for those with VERY thick hair, how do you manage to make a proper bun (particularly those with sl hair or a little shorter)? Or rather at what length were you able to bun your hair without the thickness making it awkward?

I voted bun, but not because I think a bun is superior to any of the other options. It just happens to be the style that I ended up doing most.

I love kinky twists because it allows me access to my scalp, so that I can apply my jbco mix, I am not constantly manipulating my hair and they are easy to remove, so I get less tangles.

for the last 3 weeks I've been wearing a wig. I do 4 flat cornrows and I keep them in for a week. I wash and DC every week...moisturize then redo the cornrows. Today will start my 4th week. Hopefully I see some progress.

Crochet Braids :).

What was your regi with that PS?

Nothing much, just spritzed my hair with water, applied a few light layers of coconut oil every now and then and that was it.

I started out with about six inches of hair. I've been able to retain that and gain some more :).

I would have to say weaves. definitely weaves!!! i was wearing sew ins constantly for a year and a half and my hair grew from shoulder length to an inch befor full arm lenth. I am currently in a removable 3/4 wi. I remove, moisturize and seal every niht and wash and rebraid every 2 weeks.
I find that when u leave your hair alone, it grows and retains itself the most without interruption!!!

Last edited:
I have a question: for those with VERY thick hair, how do you manage to make a proper bun (particularly those with sl hair or a little shorter)? Or rather at what length were you able to bun your hair without the thickness making it awkward?

your siggy is so entertainng i can never just scroll pass it. where is this clip from?? :lachen:

Bunning AND using only hair sticks! My ends used to get tangled so easily, even with hair ties/pins/clips that were supposed to avoid being rough on our hair. Sticks are smooth enough to avoid braking my hair off, but too wide and slippery for my ends to wrap around like they did with the seamless bands and the Good Days Hair things. I don't use anything else, even when I'm asleep.

I'll say wigs cause I have been wearing them throughout my whole natural journey. Helped me retain all 6 inches of hair that i grew in 2011

For me, retention really depends on my focus on my ends and infrequent manipulation.

Relaxed: Buns (Collarbone to BSB)

Natural: Twists

Have any naturals been able to retain length with frequent bunning? And how exactly do you do your bun?

MaraWithLove

Check out this youtube video! It pretty much changed my life lol The trick is to do two ponytails, the video explains it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0fhi__****

ETA: So I was wondering why the link wasn't working and it turns out the video code has a blocked word uhhh.. :lachen: So you'll have to copy and paste "76 || How I do a Bun with my Natural Hair" into youtube to find the video.

Last edited:
Keeping my hair twisted is the only way I can retain length. I also must keep my hair and ends moisturized on a daily basis.

I always got great retention with individual braids. I wore them all the time as a relaxed head, but have only wore them once since becoming natural.

Yeah, that is what I do. I'm natural now. And booy does my hair grow while I'm wearing a sew-in wig and no relaxer.

I'm currently in singles and I'm wondering to reach my goals if I should bun for the rest of the year :spinning:

How long/often did you wear it?

I usually wear my hair up in some kind of way with my ends tucked, or covered. Normally I wear a bun, french roll, a braid or some combination of braid and bun. I prefer styles that don't put any tension on my scalp or hairline. I just like them better.

Right now, I'm 98% product free. I moisturize my hair with rose water and natural sebum and I put coconut oil on my ends when they feel dry. I wash with water once a week.

How long/often did you wear it?
I style my hair every day. I wear simple stlyes that don't take a lot of time to create.

I was shoulder length for the longest time, I started protective styling about 10 months ago. I'm arm pit length now. Prior to that I wore wash and goes all the time.

@kinkycurlygurl Do you do the GHE method? What do you mean when you say you moisturize with natural sebum?

greenandchic

Hi, I massage my scalp in sections, gathering sebum on my fingers which I spread through the length of my hair from root to tip. Then I spritz the section of hair with rose water. I was using tap water, but I fell in love with the smell of rose water.

Over the course of the week, the coating of sebum builds up and what I end up with is moisturized, flexible hair. After I wash, I put a drop of coconut oil on each section. Thereafter, I'll only add coconut oil to the ends of my hair if they feel dry to me.

For more details on my regi you can check out this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=603013

Hope this helps :yep:

Back