Pre-LHCF: Did you do anything RIGHT?

audacity.

Prior to my healthy haircare journey, I was already doing several LHCF-friendly things to my hair;

• Relaxer stretches - I only relax(ed) 2-3 times per year
  • Limited heat - I would only use heat like twice per month (it it much more limited now)
  • Protective style - I am, and have been, the bun queen for about 14 years
  • Know the importance of conditioner - I have always drenched my hair in conditioner
What are some of the things you did "right?"

I didn't do ANYTHING right. It's a wonder how I had any hair on my head during my high school and college days. :lachen: It's a good thing it's never to late to start. :yep:

Not much! :lachen: Oen thing I always did was moisturize. I always kep my hair nice and moist. I did not always use the right products for my hair, though.

I always used too much heat and I never deep conditioned. Even with all the moisturizing, I was ruining it otherwise.

Umn... I relaxed every 8-9 weeks.

I always conditioned after I washed... now whether or not I was using deep conditioners is another story!

i was always a fan of the wash and go - we call that con washes now :)

but since i was perming every 4 - 6 weeks... well, you know that rest

Good Job DenverGirl!

Not me! I self-relaxed, colored, bleached, highlighted, never conditioned, everyday heat, and I would pop through my strands with a small tooth comb.

My stomach hurts to even think about all the wrong I've done :perplexed.

I'm so glad I found LCHF :yep:. Thanks Ladies!

:nono: Not really.

I always wore ponytails, which kept my hair off my clothes, but they were so tight that my eyes were slanted. Thank goodness I still have my hairline!

I self-relaxed and based scalp but didnt protect ends.

I didnt moisturize at all.

I knew a good conditioner was important but didnt know that I should do it often. I never DC with heat.

I weaved it up often and greased, oiled scalp frequently because I knew that was important for my hair not to break off. That was probably the best thing I did for my hair.

I were my hair down and when the style didnt swang anymore, I bunned it and when bunned got messy, I put it weave.

I washed every week when I wasnt in weave.

I relaxed every couple of months.

I guess I wasnt that bad after all. :look:

I thought I was doing everything right but my hair still wouldn't grow. I use to
tie my hair up at night
relax every 6/8 weeks - Motions, or whatever relaxer the beautician has
straighten my hair after every wash
wash every week
use a conditioner every time
never tease or brush my hair

Since LHCF I've been
Self relax every 4 months - Phytorelaxer Index II
use a moisturizer -- Profectiv, Salerm
use proteins
don't color
condition after every wash

Sorta...:look:

During college i didnt have the time or money to get my hair done so I was doing a lot more roller sets and less heat and my hair grew like crazy. The only bad part is that i was using ISOPLUS HAIR GEL to rollerset my hair and im sure that wasnt the best on the moisture aspect. The curls came out fabulous though and lasted for at least 3-5 days (depending on the weather). Being broke and having no time was the best teacher for a fierce rollerset :yep:

21019.jpg

Last edited:
Uh let's see.

Good - I based my edges during relaxing.
Used protection when using heat. Although some of my choices were very poor.

Bad - Didn't protect my hair during relaxer. In fact, would relax the whole length of my hair! :nono::spank:

Didn't protect my ends with moisture and protective styles.
Washed my hair like I saw on TV with a lot of lather and tangles!!!!!

My hair and I are on the correct track thanks to LHCF!:kissing4:

Actually prior to hair boards (when I was relaxed). I stretched for at least 7-8 months without breakage, and for the last few years I would go a year between relaxers. I NEVER used heat (why bother when it was relaxed anyway). I washed frequently. I typically styled my hair in protective ways, didn't really use grease or anything like that (except for the occasional Doo Gro oil). And my wonderful mother had already taught me about the benefits of deep conditioning, egg treatments, and olive oil. I probably would have been very close if not bsl when I cut my hair off:look:

Not much! :lachen: Oen thing I always did was moisturize. I always kep my hair nice and moist. I did not always use the right products for my hair, though.

I always used too much heat and I never deep conditioned. Even with all the moisturizing, I was ruining it otherwise.

I didn't use the right products either :nono:

That is good you knew to moisturize. I was one of those ig-nit ones who thought oil was moisture :ohwell:

Actually prior to hair boards (when I was relaxed). I stretched for at least 7-8 months without breakage, and for the last few years I would go a year between relaxers. I NEVER used heat (why bother when it was relaxed anyway). I washed frequently. I typically styled my hair in protective ways, didn't really use grease or anything like that (except for the occasional Doo Gro oil). And my wonderful mother had already taught me about the benefits of deep conditioning, egg treatments, and olive oil. I probably would have been very close if not bsl when I cut my hair off:look:

WOW! You had it down pat!!! :yep:

Conditioner washes-when I was a work out freak

air dry-only cuz my hair takes forever and a day to dry

satin scarves and pillowcases

relaxer stretching every 3 months-out of cheapness and pure laziness

Good Job DenverGirl!

Not me! I self-relaxed, colored, bleached, highlighted, never conditioned, everyday heat, and I would pop through my strands with a small tooth comb.

My stomach hurts to even think about all the wrong I've done :perplexed.

I'm so glad I found LCHF :yep:. Thanks Ladies!

Me, too! I used the HARDEST brush I could find...i still have my brush...i cant' part with it just yet...

I have come a long wayyyy, though! I no longer use that hard brush. Even my DH comments on how many changes I've made.

Conditioner washes-when I was a work out freak

air dry-only cuz my hair takes forever and a day to dry

satin scarves and pillowcases

relaxer stretching every 3 months-out of cheapness and pure laziness

Ah, yes, I did that too and continue to do so..:yep:

Yes, I did just about everything right before I got here. Protective styling, relaxer stretching, etc.

My hair has always been healthy, LHCF didn't really help with that. What LHCF has really done for me is turned me on to different products that I had never heard of. Dominican products? Pibbs? I would have never known about that stuff if it wasn't for this board.:yep:

I didn't do ANYTHING right. It's a wonder how I had any hair on my head during my high school and college days. :lachen: It's a good thing it's never to late to start. :yep:

DITTO...all I can say is, I'm lucky I'm not bald...the things I used to too..oh my goodness I was terrible in highschool. :lachen::lachen:

Sorta...:look:

During college i didnt have the time or money to get my hair done so I was doing a lot more roller sets and less heat and my hair grew like crazy. The only bad part is that i was using ISOPLUS HAIR GEL to rollerset my hair and im sure that wasnt the best on the moisture aspect. The curls came out fabulous though and lasted for at least 3-5 days (depending on the weather). Being broke and having no time was the best teacher for a fierce rollerset :yep:

21019.jpg

I LUV that gel!

• Protective styles buns and French Rolls ( Only b/c I was lazy)
  • weekly deep conditioning

That would be about it

Did I do anything right? Nope, nothing. Pre LHCF, my regimen was:

-Put in a glue in weave
-Yank the weave out 4 weeks later
-Relax using a super strength relaxer over the glue (what's the point in taking out the glue when I'm just gonna put more on, right? :rolleyes: ) no basing, alllll the way to the ends
-Put another weave on
-Slather oil on top of my head before flatironing on the absolute highest level

4 weeks later, do it again

Last edited:
What are some of the things you did "right?"
Stayed school, didn't commit crimes (that I got caught for :look:), obeyed my parents and helped out with my younger siblings.

Oh you mean hair-wise? :grin:

I was doing pretty much everything right hair-wise pre-LHCF. LHCF exposed me to new products and restored my interest in my hair (I was so bored before I came here).

Kinda sorta. :ohwell: Even though I kept my hair in a bun at all times, I also NEVER washed OR conditioned my hair. I put heaps of gel in my hair and didnt put ANY type of moisturizing product in my hair. I also NEVER slept with a satin bonnet or even a pillowcase. And at one point in 2003 when I was getting my hair flat-ironed, I STILL would wake up and put curls in my hair almost every other day!!!! :wallbash: So the bottom line is the only thing I did right: BUN! :rolleyes:

The only thing i did right was wrap, and sleep in satin scarfs.

i always stretched 3-4 mos.

i was pretty good at moisturizing daily...only thing was that it was pink oil moisturizer:wallbash:

I've been plenty ignorant before LHCF, but I did some things I didn't realize was good for me:

- Used LeKair Cholesterol periodically (just because the girl down the hall in my dorm let me use hers)

- Tied my hair up at night

- Slept on a satin pillow (I got it as a present from one of my boyfriends).

Other than that:

-Heat every day!
-Relaxers every 5 weeks
-Wash whenever hair starting smelling bad--usually about 2 weeks
-Oil my scalp BUT not my ends!

Please. I'm honestly shocked that my hair held on as well as it did, considering the abuse I put it through!

Back