What did u do right before LHCF?

NOTHING :lachen:

I read about washing your hair with an egg somewheres, so I would do that from time to time.

I did notice that may hair was much softer after using infusium 23, so I would use that sometimes.

That's it.

Otherwise I was a scalp greasing, cotton scarf wearing, small toothed comb using, overprocessing, monthly washing, sponge roller using FOOL!
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I was inadvertently wearing my hair in a "protective style." I just called it "trying-to-avoid-another-relaxer" or for short braids and kinky twists. And once I was all natural I continued because I thought my only other option was a relaxer because I didn't know what to do with this curly bush.
D-rock, your hair is soooooooooo pretty. That is the style I want when I grow this baby out!:lick:

Before LHCF? I packed up and left Black Hair Media Forum.

Before BHM? I was doing lots of great things on my own. However - things are much better now.
:drunk:

nothing......
i washed once every two weeks or once a month
i only used african pride oil and no moisturizer.
i never deep conditioned
i colored my hair with bleach and rinse every month or two
i used heat almost everyday

After lurking for sooooo long, I decided to go ahead and pay my dues. Hey, I’m learning, so I should contribute too! I’ve already learned soo much from you all. Thank you!!

I know we have many threads about what we did wrong or what did not work on our hair. I want to acknowledge what we did right. What did you do before LHCF that you later discovered after LHCF was right and good for your hair?

Me, I was the deep conditioning queen and I use to sleep with conditioner and/or DC under the dryer all the time. Also I use to put vit e oil on my edges and ends during the deep condition & mix some into the conditioner. I’ve always hated gel and oil sprays; and my plain ol bun was my regular hairstyle.

I sat huddled in the corner watching my pet ant Skippy push a grain of salt across my windowsill :look: While doing that I learned to refrain from playing in my hair so much :yep:

The only thing I did right was stretching. But even that wasn't great. I had so much breakage from stretching to long. The only reason I stretched is because I was too cheap to get it professionally relaxed every 6 weeks. I had major breakage all the time from trying to brush through/fine comb through my 4z nappy/relaxed hair.

Hmmm...

I used little to no direct heat.

I wrapped my hair with a scarf at night (well, not the week or two before relaxing).

I waited 6-8 weeks before relaxing.

I did low mani styles.

That's about it.

I very rarely used direct heat (maybe once every two years) and I wore what I later learned to be 'protective styles' (ponytails/weaves/wigs), but I didn't do these things for the health of my hair or because I wanted to grow it long; I just wanted low maintenance/no hassle hairstyles.

Apart from this, I was doing everything else wrong.
I can't believe I NEVER deep conditioned or moisturised... AND MY HAIR IS RELAXED!

Protective styles and satin scarf at night- I also bought good quality hair products (though I barely used them!)

I did the following out of ignorance, not knowing :perplexedthey were beneficial for my hair.

Went to salon every two weeks
Wore protective styles
Deep conditioned
Used a leave-in
Wore satin bonnet
Used big tooth combs
Didn’t brush hard at all

I had the right concept of moisturizing everyday, but the wrong products :nono: (olive oil *for moisture, not sealant* :ohwell:, oil sheen :perplexed, liv grease or pink lotion :rolleyes:)

Never used gel. ever. :nono:

In high school, I rarely used heat and I think that's why I stayed APL-BSL.

I think most of us had good concepts even if we lucked up on it. in high school, I use to use skin lotion as my moisturizer and to keep my hair in place for my ponytail.

Back