Poll: Is Straightening THAT Bad? (kinda long)

Heat Straightening?

• BAD! BAD! BAD!

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • It works for me! (please share how often you do it)

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • I don't know, but I wouldn't risk it

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrsHdrLe

My question is if heat straightening is really all that damaging to hair?

A little history:
I started my HHJ in February this year. I used to be a chronic hair abuser hence it never grew more than a couple of inches past my shoulders. I wore a sew in last year then decided that I wanted to grow my own hair long and healthy. My hair dresser calls my hair "strong" and "tolerant" to heat, but all the information I have says that heat is ultimately too stressful on delicate curly/kinky hair.
I have bone straight edges and crown (from the weaves) and the rest is lightly texlaxed. I can wear afro puffs, textured curls, and it straightens nicely with about 1/2 heat applied (using my Maxiglide set between 3-6 depending on the style I'm planning for the week). Needless to say, I HATE my bone straight sections, but since it's so little, I just suffer through by always wearing it up when curly styling.
I would prefer to wear my hair out in straight ponies, buns or even down 3-4 days a week. I notice when I only roller set, my hair is still pretty dry and I have little hairs all over by the end of styling and any time I touch my hair. But when I straighten it with my flat iron, I have fewer than 10 broken hairs comparatively. My hair also feels softer and is more pliable (for bunning).
I'm confused b/c this goes against all I've learned about protecting and styling my hair. I want to go "no heat", but that seems to result in more broken hairs and damage than heat straightening.

I always use a protectant and roller set before I straighten. I've also done away with my blow dryer. I wash, deep condish, roller set and straighten once a week and cowash and go by the fourth or fifth day.

I understand that everyone's hair is different, but I wonder if I'm lulling myself into a false sense of healthy hair happiness. I do not want a dreaded set back to befall me in the near future, but the dry breakage is killing me!

What do you think? What works for you? If you're a heat styler, have you been able to retain your growth for a sustained amount of time?

Your advice and experience is greatly appreciated.:yep:

Last edited:
I dont see anything wrong with doing it. However, I only straighten my hair like 3 times a year....I think its fine in moderation.

I don't think it's bad as long as you keep your hair healthy and use the right products/tools. When you use heat, you have to be more careful and particular with your hair-- can't slack off on DC'ing, using heat protectants, having the right balance of PROTEIN and MOISTURE...there are ladies who use heat on a regular basis and their hair continues to grow and thrive :)

I think too often, people ignore what their hair tells them and they listen to LHCF instead. And then you get people going cone-free...all natural....no sulfates...even though their hair is begging and pleading for that stuff.

I know that there are a few ladies around here who who use heat often-ish and their hair is doing great. Foxieroxienyc comes to mind. If you find that using heat is what your hair likes, then do it. As long as you're taking the precautions (using heat protectant, not doing it too often, trying to protect your hair in between straightenings, not turning up the iron too high, etc.), I don't think you should have issues. Personally, I only use indirect heat, but that's because I have relaxed and fine hair. Heat is not my friend. Doesn't mean that it can't be yours.

I think everyone has to go with what works for THEIR hair, and as with most things, moderation is key.

I personally haven't used direct heat in years, mainly because my hair is chemically-treated (texlaxed) and, for hair health, I don't want to add heat to the mix.

Could be the products that you are using. If you are using products that work best with heat then your hair will respond better. It could also be that you hair is dry and you need to increase your DC's. Constant heat is drying and damaging to hair. But being successful with a no heat regime requires the right products and technique for your hair.

I think you really have to go with whats best with YOUR hair. what works for most doesnt work for all. I dont think straightening is bad, I prefer to wear my hair flat ironed. My hair is so thick, the flat iron is what helps to give it the body I like. My hair doesnt like air drying. Air drying for me= instant breakage, but for most it promotes lots hair health and growth. Listen to your hair and go from there.

well im going to start straightening my hair about once a month so i'll let you know in about 6 months lol

I think it's fine in moderation, but then again my hair is not chemically processed so my strands aren't extra fragile. I straighten maybe every other month or so and have suffered no heat damage at the hands of a stylist OR from doing my own hair. It seems you have already tried a no-heat regimen and it didn't give you the results you desired, so just make sure to pay attention to your hair.

For reference, PinkSkates is a member who straightens once every other week I believe, but she is natural (perhaps BKT'd at the moment, however). Sylver2, Lavendar, Supergirl, Tee and Traycee are some relaxed members who come to mind; maybe it would be helpful to see how much heat they use.

It's not bad as long as you don't do it constantly and use a heat protectant. I only use heat 4x a year when I get my relaxer in. Otherwise, I air dry and use other styling.

I think too often, people ignore what their hair tells them and they listen to LHCF instead. And then you get people going cone-free...all natural....no sulfates...even though their hair is begging and pleading for that stuff.

I know that there are a few ladies around here who who use heat often-ish and their hair is doing great. Foxieroxienyc comes to mind. If you find that using heat is what your hair likes, then do it. As long as you're taking the precautions (using heat protectant, not doing it too often, trying to protect your hair in between straightenings, not turning up the iron too high, etc.), I don't think you should have issues. Personally, I only use indirect heat, but that's because I have relaxed and fine hair. Heat is not my friend. Doesn't mean that it can't be yours.

I agree. I flat ironed my hair almost everyday and after finding this board I thought my hair was going to fall out of my head. I even posted a thread. But so far my hair is still very healthy. I now have a good solid reggie of DC with protien, occassional reconstructor, heat protectant, no hair dyes, no blow drying, and I threw away all of my brushes. I don't suggest flat ironing everday!:nono: I've gone 4 days so far and I'm good.:yep: It's more about what your hair needs and can take.

The Board only allowed Me one Thank You, so I had to come in to say.......Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

I was once afraid to use direct heat on my hair 3c/4a for the first 4 years of being completely 100% natural. Then I started to straighten my hair myself and damaged my ends (APL). I went to a salon that specializes in straightening natural hair and had 1.5 inches of damage cut off and now I get my hair straightened by them every 2-4 weeks and my hair looks and feels better than it ever has!!! I am finally learning what MY hair needs to be healthy! With the proper care I am on my way back to APL and I contribute it to not only my knowledge of what to do with my hair in its natural state from LHCF but also from wearing my hair straight which i find is easier to manage on a daily basis (moisturize and wrap at night and comb down during the day with straight hair vs. braids and twists at night then undo the braids and twists during the day) IDK just what I like. My hair gets knots if i wear a wash n go style and i experience more shedding and my hair feels drier.

So I completely understanding your concerns!! I hope you find out what works for you1

for me, my hair is "strongest" when its straightened.. i dont get all the tiny hairs breaking, its easier to comb.. i currently dont flat iron alot because its a long process with doing a DC first, and protein (if needed) heat protectant, leave in.. so when im not hiding my hair (which is 90% of the time) i have it straightened. and i try (try is the key word) to leave it like that for at least a week.. so during a 9-10 week stretch, i'll flat iron twice.. i see no issues with it.. if your hair can take it and you do everything in your power and use everything in your arsenal to keep it moist and strong..

if i wasnt so addicted to conditioners and DC and creamy lotions/leave ins i would be straightened more times than not... hth

I'm a fine 4 texture and heat in moderation is okay to me. Yesterday after I blowdried my hair and got my trim, I ran a flat iron thru the back section to see how it looked. I put my flat iron on 160, did ONE pass and my hair came out like BUTTA! It even had swang! I was floored because since I had the flat iron, I would normally use it at 300-400 degrees and my hair would always come out limp and have that burnt smell. I thought that because others were using theirs at that temp that it would be best for me...WRONG! It was a real "Duh" moment yesterday.

It works for me and I blowdry and straighten my hair (on 355 degrees) once a week, on wash day. Seems like a lot but as long as I prepoo/DC I have NO damage.....and Heat protectant is a must for me. When I get lazy and go more than a week without washing, or if I skip the DC I get splits more frequently. But I refuse to touch my flat-iron for the rest of the week, until wash day again. If it gets wet or something then Bantu Knot-out it is for the rest of the week. My hair has grown so much doing this.

Thanks ladies. It seems I should do what works for me and right now that's moderate heat (mid temp 220 degrees/once a week) I'll try to stretch it to two weeks, but I wokr out and I'm nearly 11 weeks post texlaxed.)
Yeah, it seems like I get more splits and breaks when my ends are rough from no heat roller setting. Flat ironing seems to smooth them down and I have less little hairs all over.

My hair thrives in a low heat once a week setting. It's how my mom grew my hair down to my back at 5 years old, and I don't get those "what's all that hair in the sink?" moments every morning. But I do DC every week, faithfully, before I even let the flat iron touch my hair. I do either air dry or dry under the hooded dryer. I don't own a blow dryer. But I have fine hair and it dries just like that.

At the trouble stretching, have you tried drying your hair while it's stretched? Like in 4 ponytails. That'll help out a lot. I tried that this past weekend, in about 12 ponytails since my hair is a shorter neck length, and it actually worked.

I use heat with no problems. BUT I don't use any chemicals. I think the problems come when people use too high heat or when they use heat on top of chemicals (color or relaxer).

I have been flat ironing 1 time a week for a couple of years, i use moisture moisture moisture, and discovered coconut oil is a godsend and protective styling towards the end of the week.

I have been flat ironing my relaxed hair weekly for the past month...but I DC every week, and also do the Aphogee 2 Min weekly. I also don't use the flat iron except for wash day. If I need to retouch the look I use my Carusos...and from Wednesday or Thurs on each week I protective style.

I have found less hair in my comb and sink with routine flat ironing! My hair doesn't like to be tangled and wearing it straight 50% of the time or more helps with this!

Back