Air Drying 4b/c relaxed hair???

What Do You Do When You Notice Breakage?

• protein treatment

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • heat fast (stop using heat products for amt of time)

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • deep condition

Votes: 64 36.2%
  • other

Votes: 13 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if you are relaxed... ever try wrap sets?? but yield on drying completely..... wrap hair (wet) set with foam wrap lotion, etc and sit under hooded dryer for 20minutes.
At this point your wrap MOLD should be set enough to airdry the rest of the way! Sit a little longer if needed... you may even tied a doo-rag or something that permits air to pass thru and sleep on it
Been doing it my entire life (b4 natural) .... no direct heat... semi airdrying process... super straight hair
(never comb down wet tho'... ruined poofy, frizzy hair

if you are relaxed... ever try wrap sets??
Do you have to do this process early a.m. to ensure hair fully dries overnight? I'm trying to get away from combing/brushing but this method sounds tempting as does the pony roller set. Traditional just takes too long and tugs at my hair way too much.

I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and saw this post, since then I have been air drying with great success using the scarf method!!!! I LOVE it, once my hair is fully dry I apply oil and put it in two big flexi rods.
May I play 50 ?'s with you for a quick moment....
- How does the flexi's help the hair after fully drying?
- Does hair look like roller set when you take them down?
- What color flexi's do you use?
- How do you place the flexi's? (i.e. left/right side or front/back)

Sorry for so many ?'s

1) how do you dry your hair without heat?
Tshirt dry, 10mins max
Apply leave-ins
Air dry in braids

A detailed explanation of my process & results posted here (won't pollute thread with pics)
--> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=490510

2) Is it possible to wear your hair straight or down afterward (without using straightening iron)
I rarely wear straight any more as I'm PSing 99% of the time. If I desired straight I would likely rollerset or air dry and place rollers of some kind in hair for a little bend on my ends.

3) what do you do when your hair is breaking...
I have controlled breakage by adding a tbsp of protein (aphogee 2min) in my weekly DC mixture. I aphogee 2step once every 6-8 weeks.

OP, is your hair also pretty dry?

I've found that when protein treatments and deep conditioners won't work, it's because I need an oil treatment. I think some oil treatments will nurse your hair back to health.

i started this thread in March, and im just now seeing all the amazing answers! I air dried my hair for the first time today- and I have a question (another questions!)

How do you prevent poofy ends when you air dry? The front of my hair is straight- but not the back... Im thinking it might be because Im not as good at relaxing the back- but do you all have any ideas??

mischka;13685217[B said:
]somewhat ot, but does hair type even matter when you are relaxed?[/B]

for me heck to the yeah. Mainly b/c I'm very textlaxed. If I were bone straight maybe not so much. My hair behaves very 4bc ish even though it's relaxed. Thick and coarse with a z very discernible z pattern. I :love: it though!
* back to stalking this thread*

^^ I use a microfiber towel which gets the hair pretty dry. I then add my cream leave in and spritz my liquid leave in. Put my satin headband on and allow the length of my hair to hang to air dry. I use my hands to smooth it down throughout the process. I relax pretty bone straight so once my hair is dry it is pretty straight.

I do it in two high pigtail plaits, 70% dry (if I can), and with a leave-in/oil mixture.

2) Is it possible to wear your hair straight or down afterward (without using straightening iron)
I wish LOL. Even my blow-dried hair is big. But braidouts lay flat enough were its cute.

You'll have to relax near bone or bone straight for airdry straight hair.

I DC overnight and then I do protein the next morning. I do this every 2 to 3 weeks. I DC overnight once a week though.

Great thread,

What about steam rollers? Anyone use those on a consistent basis and notice a lot of damage? Can you air dry and use steam rollers then wrap and get semi straight results?

^^ I use a microfiber towel which gets the hair pretty dry. I then add my cream leave in and spritz my liquid leave in. Put my satin headband on and allow the length of my hair to hang to air dry. I use my hands to smooth it down throughout the process. I relax pretty bone straight so once my hair is dry it is pretty straight.

I've also started finger detangling as I smooth and this has greatly reduced the hair that comes out shed and broken:grin:

To revisit this thread is just interesting. My process has sense changed but it's always good seeing new/revised responses. Bump for additional input.

My newest add ... I use a satin headband when airdrying...for the first 30 minutes or so I put the headband right at my hairline after I move it back some so that my hair line is showing...this tames the new growth. A better alternative would be to tie a scarf over the entire head.

@divachyk I picked it up at a store called "Ardene" do you guys have one of those?

ETA: a pic of the headband...the underside has satin.
headband.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an update to how I airdry

- Towel dry and add my leave-ins: Redken Anti-Snap, less than a dime size of pure olive oil and Pure Shine anti frizz serum. Really saturate my dry, dry nape.

- Brush it all back with either a paddle brush or rubber shampoo brush, depending on how many weeks post relaxer I am.

- Hold my hair in a low ponytail (I'm not going to make an actual ponytail) then bring the ponytail part up so that my ends are situated as close to the top of my head as possible. I do this so that when I tie down my edges and crown with my satin scarf my ends will also be included under the scarf and will dry nice, smooth and flat.

- After my edges and ends are about 80-90% dry, I usually take the scarf off and just smooth the length with my hands until everything is dry.

- Lastly, if I want to look flat-ironed do a dry flexirods rollerset with serum and maybe a little more leave-in, put on my satin scarf and/or bonnet and sleep on it all. If I want immediate silky gratification, I use my hot rollers.

- Oh and no more satin pillowcase for me, had my face breaking out somethin' terrible.:nono:

Airdried rollerset on 2" magnetic rollers will straighten my texlaxed hair. After removing the rollers, I crosswrap and cover with a silk scarf (for a few hours) to reduce any roller indentations on my hair.

ABSOLUTELY! I haven't used any kind of direct heat since Dec. 2005.

My breakage is usually do to dry ends, so I just increase the moisture on my ends and wear more protective styles.

I can air dry without issues but it's the detangling that I sometimes struggle with. Wet detangling is sometimes too harsh on my hair and cause breakage. And don't let my hair be tangled up, oh boy, oh boy. Dry detangling (after hair is air dried) sometimes generate breakage. Some wash sessions I struggle to find a happy medium. My recent observation seems that wet detangling is best when deep into a stretch while dry detangling is okay for freshly TUd hair.

I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and saw this post, since then I have been air drying with great success using the scarf method!!!! I LOVE it, once my hair is fully dry I apply oil and put it in two big flexi rods. Im about 6 weeks post and so far so good!!!

As much as I love rollersetting, I get more breakage with the extra manipulation it takes to get my fine strands detantagled, parted, and wrapped around rollers.

I agree my hair looked lovely with roller-setting but the breakage was ridiculous , my hair does not love roller setting at all . It may be down to finding a product with great slip , but i have yet to find one , and i'm sick of wasting money.

Do you guys think that we train our hair to airdry as we want it? I hardly do anything to my hair when air drying...leave in and couple drops of oil and it dries straight without puffing. When I first tried airdrying it came out a hot mess for several tries:nono: OR is it as the health of your hair improves it air dries smoother/better/nicer?

Good question Nix08. I agree I air dry much better now than when I first started. I think it is a combination of improved technique, hair health and regi.

Sent from my DROIDX

Do you guys think that we train our hair to airdry as we want it? I hardly do anything to my hair when air drying...leave in and couple drops of oil and it dries straight without puffing. When I first tried airdrying it came out a hot mess for several tries:nono: OR is it as the health of your hair improves it air dries smoother/better/nicer?

Good question @Nix08. I agree I air dry much better now than when I first started. I think it is a combination of improved technique, hair health and regi.

Sent from my DROIDX

I think it's a combination of both, but I lean towards improved health. As long as I stick with my basic routine, my hair just does what it's supposed to do.

When it was damaged, I had to work way harder to get it to look decent.

Back