POLL - How often do you use direct heat?

How often do you use flat/curling irons?

• Every day.

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • One to two times a week.

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • Every other week.

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Only a few times throughout the year.

Votes: 66 36.5%

• Total voters
I only flat iron once every two or three months, so I voted for only a few times a year. I only flat iron for length checks. My DH would like once a month at least, but heat is not my friend.

I only use direct heat on my hair 4 times a year, at relaxer time, when i have my relaxer and trim to assess and make sure that everything is OK, and check my progress.

I haven't used heat since my BC in September 2008. I wanted to wait until I was at least 6 most post BC before I straightened it out with heat (which will occur on March 1, 2009). After that, I'll probably straighten once every 3 months ... so 4 times a year.

I last flat ironed for Thanksgiving and don't plan on flat ironing again until May for my B-day and once again sometime in the fall for an end of the year length check, so I voted a few times a year. It's more out of sheer laziness than anything tho! :look: I actually love bunning on a regular basis so it's really no biggie.

I may use a curling iron once a week. I've been doing a wash/set/wrap. If my wrap flattens my curls too much, I bump my ends real quick with the curling iron.

The only heat that touches my hair is from the water I wash with.

I haven't used direct heat since october 2006...that was my last press. Trying to get my hair straight is too much manipulation so I just don't do it. I just stretch my hair to see length. I may try rollersetting once my hair gets longer.

I use to do it once per wk but ever since i joined lhc which has been about 3 mths now i havent used ANY direct heat and im luving it!! :grin:

I don't or shall I say haven't used direct heat in almost a years. It's not good for my hair, but I envy those that can use it occassionally without any damage to their hair.

1 time per week I bump my roots after rollersetting. I only flat iron on medium heat with the Conair Steam Straightener. And ONLY on CLEAN well conditioned hair. I use reconstructor 1 x per week (Aphogee or Joico KPak) since I use heat regularly. So far so good. I used to flat iron daily before LHCF. Making progress...

I flat iron my roots about two times a week. I used to blow dry AND flat iron just about every other day last year without any sort of heat damage, but that got tiring so now I do wash and go's. And when I do use heat, I do rollersets first to cut out the blow dryer.

Last edited:
I've only used direct heat once in the last 3 years. My hair is very healthy as a result of not using direct heat. I believe 3c and 4a hair types or not as dry and probably can use direct heat more often , resulting in less damage. Someone with 4c hair or hair that's has a tight curl( I fall in that category) should use less heat due to the hair being very dry and prong to breakage.

last year i used direct heat 4 times. i only use direct heat when its to relax and thats when i check lenght. This year i plan to do the same thing.

The Poll doesn't have my answer, which is "Never." I haven't used direct heat in over 3 years. I am already texlaxed, so I'm not gonna be using heat, too. :nono:

Last edited:
OMG!!!! A few times a year....How do you do it!!!!

Who me? It's been hard... But I know it's for the best. From the end of october last year till the end of dec I decided to straighten every 2 weeks and my hair was not having it... I need to work on strengthing before I do that kinda stuff... Like I said I used to straighten once a week but I was using alot of protien...

About 2x a week just to fix my bangs, never on my whole head unless I am washing it, which is 1x a week if I get it right, sometimes 2x a week

I haven't used direct heat for about two years.

My hair is either in braids, twists, flat twists, fros,
curly fros, twist outs, etc.

Anything that doesn't require me using a
flat iron or a curling iron.

I use both the blow dryer and flat iron once a week. I HAVE to use a blow dryer in order to straighten my hair. I tried air drying it once and my hair turned out to be a tangled mess! I'll never do that again when trying to straighten it out. Everyone's hair is different and maybe your friend's hair is just not as impacted by heat, or it is and you just don't see it yet....

Never, ever. The way I see it, I can use either heat or chemicals on my hair, but not both...I pick chemicals.:grin:

Last edited:
I agree with Luxurious12. Airdrying is a no-no for my hair. I wash, blowdry and flat iron once a week, sometimes i go 2 weeks if i'm very busy or tired (i'm 9 months preg right now).

My hair thrives if i use direct heat. It breaks and goes brittle if i airdry. My hair likes to be sealed with heat.

End of 07 and beginning of 09 I was using heat on my natural head without protectant every 2 weeks maybe here and there too, just too much....paying for it so much now...damaged, split ends, hair knotting up more than usual....

Wont be using heat for a long while

Around once or twice a year... Last year I didn't use it even once, the year before that I think I did it once. I just don't have the patience :grin:

Back