• I rarely ever get knots

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • A good amount of protein in my regime

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Little to no protein in my regime, all moisture

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

gymfreak336

I have 3 questions for the natural ladies.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one

2. Do you get alot of knots?

3. How much protein is in your regime?

I am just collecting some research so feel free to elaborate. Thanks Ladies

Sorry ladies, I messed up the poll. Please just post and I will see if a mod can fix it.

Last edited:

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one

1. i dont know my hair type:sad: 3 or 4 something?

2) I get knots in the nape area of my hair not so much anywhere else.

3. Because Im in protective styling with weaves I protein once every three months and when Im out of my weaves I protein as I feel my hair needs, like it I feel my hair is too mushy or it will not curl it will just wave up.

Type 4a
I do get some single strand knots, but not as many as I did when I had a TWA.
I've recently learned that I have a ton more protein in my reg than I had thought... :perplexed I'd buy a conditioner and it would say it was moisturizing on the label.... but now I've learned which ingredients to check for and MOST of them were protein city. :sad:

im mostly 4a:grin:
nope i hardly ever get knots and when i do i try to take them out or if its a shed hair connected to the end of a strand i just remove it. ive never had a knot in the middle of the shaft or the roots:grin:
not so much, i mean i have some protein in my regime but not too much i dc with protein once a month and some of my products have light protein. i never try to over do it.

I'm not natural anymore, but when I was, I got knots when I used a lot of protein. The first time I noticed the knots was when I started using that dark brown gel. I would take a hand full of gel and slick my hair back. Big mistake. Due to all the knots, I decided to relax my hair in 2004 after being natural for 3 years. My hair is mostly 4a.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one - I'm mostly 4a.

2. Do you get alot of knots? I rarely get knots.

3. How much protein is in your regime? I don't do protein treatments. Some of my products do have light proteins but that's it.

Eta: My hair is more S shaped than coily.

Last edited:
1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one. i have spongy,coarse 4a hair.

2. Do you get alot of knots? no. i dont have any but my ends are freshly cut

3. How much protein is in your regime? do weekly protien treatments w/ megatek and use cantu shea butter repair creme and infusium 23 every few days. in short, alot

I'm 4b. I used to get a lot of knots, but not as many now (I think this is because I keep it braided, moist and oiled). I have some products that contain light protein, but I don't use anything for protein treatments. My hair likes moisture, not protein.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one..Im mostly a 3c witth 4a

I used to becasue I always wore wash n goes. But since I rollerset no more knot probs.

3. How much protein is in your regime? Moderate. I use reconstructors and rarely hardcore.

Sorry ladies, I messed up the poll. Please just post and I will see if a mod can fix it.

I'm mostly 4a. 4 years or so ago I was getting alot of knots, but it was because I was getting lazy with my hair (i.e. only shampooing and conditioning once per week even though I need it AT LEAST twice a week, plus cowashing). Once I got back to treating my hair right the knots stopped.

Forgot to add: I do a protein DC about twice a month and use a conditioner with mild protein weekly (ORS Replenishing Conditioner).

Last edited:
1. What is your hair type? I have 4a hair.

No, I very rarely get knots.

Not much. I *try* to use some protein once a month.

ETA: Artemis: My hair is very coily.

Last edited:

1. 4a
2. I never get knots
3. I haven't used protein in my hair in over a month (haven't had time) & my hair seems to be okay with that.

4b. I usually just get knots with wash-n-gos. Or washing/wetting my hair when it's in twists seems to cause knots and tangles too. Two things i won't ever be doing again.

I'm just now aware of protein-- never used it purposely before.

1. What is your hair type? 4b

2. Do you get alot of knots? Yep. Lots of single strand knots.

3. How much protein is in your regime? I've never purposely put protein in my hair but I'm sure some products I use have it.

I know it should be intuitive here, but can you ladies list if you have coily hair?

For example some 4a hair is a looser s-shape and some 4a is coily pensprings

Thanks!!

3b

Knots? No. Tangles? YES (If I dry my hair while it's banded, I don't have problems with tangles.)

I don't use protein. But I do use henna.

I am 4a/4b, about 5 different textures. I get a lot of single strand knots even when I wear protective styles like twists and plaits. So not sure what is the problem. I don't use products with proteins to that extent. What i would like to know is what people do to not get the knots?

I'm 4a/b and yes I do get knots. I don't have any protein specific products. Maybe DPR 11 and Giovani Direct Leave in.

It's interesting to see almost everyone above me in this thread state that they don't get knots. That really blows my mind. My hair is overgrown with knots. Could be from my past wash and go's and my lack of trims. But, I've been a cutting machine for 2 weeks+ now almost everyday.

I have 4B hair. I get lots of single-strand knots and I attribute that to constantly wearing wash and gos. :nono: I never used protein and realized that my hair was breaking off, so before I got my hair braided in microbraids I started using K-Pak reconstructor once a week. It really helped. I plan on incorporating a protein spray every other day.

1. 4b natural
2. Regularly get knots/tangles...trying to find a way out of this. Like other's have said, wash and go's are likely the culprit.
3. I don't use protein, as it makes the knots and tangles worse. I had a horrible time this week with major clumping from Cantu's Shea Butter Leave-In

1. I have defined small coils (like a 4a) with some curls...but they don't clump together...my hair behaves like a 4b. If you look at them closely you can tell they're defined but my wash-n-go just looks like a fluffy cloud.

2. I only get knots when I wash-n-go because that's the only time I let my hair shrink all the way up. When I keep my hair in twists or in plaits then I don't have knots. I also noticed that when I detangle really well, I'm less likely to have hair get tangled up and create bigger knots. If I stayed in twists (instead of being lazy) I would never have any knots. Generally, stretched hair=no knots for me.

3. I don't use any protein products. I try to eat enough protein. I do use a lot of coconut oil, which I learned on here helps to stop the strands from losing protein so maybe that helps.

I am 4/b(I think)..I have not experienced any knots.I don't use protein,at least not on purpose.I use hair grease,shea,Bb products,and jherri curl spray.My shampoo is Jason biotin formula so that might be protein based but I only wash once a month especially in the Winter.

I think that I don't get knots because of the moisture in my hair and because my hair is never loose when I wash it.

Last edited:
1. 3b

2. No I dont get any knots...only tangles when I wash my hair & dont comb thru it before it dries.

3. Not much protein. I use Aphogee Reconstructor every once in awhile.

- 4b. artemis, i'm not sure if my hair counts as coily or s-shaped or what? what does s-shaped 4b hair look like? i guess mine is coily?

yes, single strand knots and tangles. you're talking about ssks, though, right? i have a ton.

hmm, plenty of my products have a little protein in them, but not much. let's see, TJ's Nourish spa shampoo usually, a sulfate shampoo every now and then, V05 vanilla mint tea (i don't think this has any protein), AOHSR every now and then, AO GPB infrequently, and Aveda Damage Remedy intensive treatment usually like every other week. So really not much, just the GPB every once in a while (no more than once a month) and the Aveda every other week.

my knots are definitely not caused by wash and gos because i generally don't do those. but the tangling is made worse by wearing my hair loose or not detangling thoroughly. i don't know if these things contribute to ssks.

1. My hair type is 4a.
2. I actually don't get a ton of knots (I'm referring to single strand knots), and I don't notice them except on the rare occasion where I want to straighten my hair.
3. I don't track the amount of protein in my regimen, but I expect that it is a small amount. I focus the most on just keeping my hair moisturized. I've never analyzed a product for the amount of protein in it. I just go by whether or not a product works for me, and I alternate products based on my moisture needs. Plus, I believe that naturals need less protein than those who are relaxed.

1. What is your hair type? 4a mostly (coily pensprings)

2. Do you get alot of knots? I do experience knots sometimes, but not alot. My hair tangles a lot on the ends.

Many of my moisturizing products contain silk or wheat protein. The heavier protein product I use is MegaTek on and off.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one - 4b very kinky, no defined coils.

2. Do you get alot of knots? -
I did and still have potential for plenty but have altered the way I handle my hair to hopefully decrease knotting. Hardly any at the moment as I recently trimmed.

3. How much protein is in your regime? -
Moderate. Still don't know how much is ideal but I add SAA to my leave in conditioner and I also use henna and coconut oil. Planning to alternate weekly between homemade protein DC and moisture DC - I want strong, moisturised, soft healthy hair!

Mwedzi (or anyone else), what is ssks?

Back