POLL: Do You: No Cone, Low Cone, or Yes to Cones??

Do you use silicones aka 'cones' or 'icones?'

• No, I avoid ALL silicones!

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • No and Yes, I avoid SOME silicones!

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 123 27.1%
  • Yes, but sparingly!

Votes: 88 19.4%
  • Sometimes, whenever I feel like it!

Votes: 43 9.5%
  • I don't know/care!

Votes: 89 19.6%

• Total voters

MizaniMami

Hey All,

I was wondering if you ladies obstain from silicones cones, use silicones sparingly, use silcones a lot, or don't know or don't care?

It was also be nice to hear why you obstain or choose to use them.

For those of you who don't know what silicones "cones, or icones" are here is the def.:

Silicone is a light liquid wax that coats the hair strand.The effects observed in these applications are: shine, improved hair feel, softness, actives delivery, lubricity, easy combing (slip), film forming, heat protection, and improved hair feel. Some of these (not water soluable) can also buildup which need to be clarified to remove. Without clarifying, build up can cause moisture to be blocked out of the hair strand.

Types of silicones:
Amodimethicone not soluble in water by itself

Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride
mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle

Behenoxy Dimethicone
sparingly soluble in water

Cetearyl methicone
not soluble in water

Cetyl Dimethicone
not soluble in water

Cyclomethicone
not soluble in water

Cyclopentasiloxane
not soluble in water

Dimethicone
not soluble in water

Dimethicone Copolyol
water soluble

Dimethiconol
not soluble in water

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane
water soluble

Stearoxy Dimethicone
sparingly soluble in water

Stearyl Dimethicone
not soluble in water

Trimethylsilylamodimethicone
not soluble in water

Lauryl methicone copolyol
water soluble

Last edited:
I usually use more products with cones in the summer because they help with frizz. In the winter I reduce my usage to give my hair a break.

Im getting better as choosing products without cones. I generally don't care too much (not obsessive) but I do try to avoid too much.

I low cones because too much makes my hair dry and using too much clarifying 'poo make my hair dry -- its a no win situatuion for me so I limit my 'cone use.

On the rare occasion that I NEED my hair to be and stay straight, I'll use a heavy duty silicone serum because you can't beat cones for anti-frizz power. However, the 99% rest of the time I try to keep it to the water soluble kind and mix my own "serum" -- couple of drops each of 100% pure dimethicone copoyol + castor oil = awesome sealer, smoother and anti-frizz without the buildup and easily wash out with regularly 'poo.

I haven't seen anything that works better for getting slip and reducing frizz. So I cannot say I love them, but I don't have a problem using them on the regular.

I low cones. I try to avoid them as much as possible in my leave-ins because they make my hair hard and dry.:ohwell:

I luv me some cones!
They are probably in every product I use, which means I clarify every time I wash my hair, but it's worth it.

I love cones too. The only time I avoid them is: when the product is all cones no conditioning, and when it is in a daily moisturizer.

I have no problems with them, but I do check ingredients to make sure it does have SOME type of moisturizing properties within the first 10 ingredients. I don't want nothing that 78% cones and the rest parabens. How would that help me in the long run?

blackhair said:
Great Post
Do you mind sharing the kind of products you are using and for which effect?

Hey There!

I didn't meant to skip pver your post, some how I totally missed it. But in my regimen in my fotki (under my profile) I have the type of products I use and how I use them. You can check that out.

Otherwise I would be here all day telling you what I use :lol: . I use sooo many different things lol!

JCoily said:
I luv me some cones!
They are probably in every product I use, which means I clarify every time I wash my hair, but it's worth it.

I clarify each time, as well.

When I don't my hair is so gross afterwards.

I tried to skip the clarifying step a few days ago and I could tell that even my leave-in was not penetrating the way it does normally does.

My hair never dries out from clarfying everytime. I use either CON clarifying (burns my eyes though!), Kenra Clarifying (my fav) or Keracare 1st later. My hair never dries out and my no-cone/pre-cone leave-in always penetrates fully.

HoneyDew said:
I clarify each time, as well.

When I don't my hair is so gross afterwards.

I tried to skip the clarifying step a few days ago and I could tell that even my leave-in was not penetrating the way it does normally does.

My hair never dries out from clarfying everytime. I use either CON clarifying (burns my eyes though!), Kenra Clarifying (my fav) or Keracare 1st later. My hair never dries out and my no-cone/pre-cone leave-in always penetrates fully.

Okay, so I thought I was the only one who does a clarifying just about every poo. I use Keracare 1st lather atleast once a week. With all the moisturizing and oil sealing that I do, twice a day sometimes 3 times a day, I just can't see myself NOT doing this.

Jcoily & HoneyDew,

How often do you ladies clarify?

MizaniMami said:
Okay, so I thought I was the only one who does a clarifying just about every poo. I use Keracare 1st lather atleast once a week. With all the moisturizing and oil sealing that I do, twice a day sometimes 3 times a day, I just can't see myself NOT doing this.

Jcoily & HoneyDew,

I do it with every shampoo, which is twice a week.

I use my clarifying and then most times I use a moisturizing one after that, unless I am deep conditioning. Then I just skip the moisturizing shampoo.

I checked "avoid some cones" in the poll, but really, I'm pretty much no cone. Every now and again I use a conditioner or styling product that contains silicones, but because I am lo-poo, I'm pretty much no/lo cone.

MizaniMami said:

Jcoily & HoneyDew,

I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and I clarify first with Ion clarifying shampoo, followed by Biolage Ultra Hydrating shampoo, and NTM conditioning mask.

I find that when I clarify, I have to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo otherwise I can't detangle my hair.

I never used cones until recently when I learned here about the Aveda Brilliant Serum. It's water soluable so I have no build-up and very moisturizing. I love the results. :)

i dont use them much knowingly..but they seem to be in most of my keracare stuff, so i guess i like them!

Isis said:
I never used cones until recently when I learned here about the Aveda Brilliant Serum. It's water soluable so I have no build-up and very moisturizing. I love the results. :)

Isis, which Aveda serum do you use and what are the ingredients? TIA!

Neroli said:
Isis, which Aveda serum do you use and what are the ingredients? TIA!

Neroli said:
I low cones because too much makes my hair dry and using too much clarifying 'poo make my hair dry -- its a no win situatuion for me so I limit my 'cone use.

On the rare occasion that I NEED my hair to be and stay straight, I'll use a heavy duty silicone serum because you can't beat cones for anti-frizz power. However, the 99% rest of the time I try to keep it to the water soluble kind and mix my own "serum" -- couple of drops each of 100% pure dimethicone copoyol + castor oil = awesome sealer, smoother and anti-frizz without the buildup and easily wash out with regularly 'poo.

It's the only serum they say they have and the full name is: Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss with Rice Bran Oil. It says it "adds shine, smooths ends and conditions medium to coarse hair". I read excellent reviews on this forum as well as on the Web before buying it.
The best part is that it works and there is absolutely no build-up.

Here are the ingredients:

Phenyl Trimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Oryza Savita (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Amyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronella, Geraniol, Limonene, Citronellol, Linanool, Eugenol, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Citral;
Aveda's own Pure Fume Aroma with Jasmine, Rose and other Pure Flower and Plant Essences

You make your own serum Neroli! I really admire that! :up: Your recipe looks easy also. Where do you get your 100% pure dimethicone copoyol?

Last edited:
Isis said:
It's the only serum they say they have and the full name is: Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss with Rice Bran Oil. It says it "adds shine, smooths ends and conditions medium to coarse hair". I read excellent reviews on this forum as well as on the Web before buying it.
The best part is that it works and there is absolutely no build-up.

Here are the ingredients:

Phenyl Trimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Oryza Savita (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Amyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronella, Geraniol, Limonene, Citronellol, Linanool, Eugenol, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Citral;
Aveda's own Pure Fume Aroma with Jasmine, Rose and other Pure Flower and Plant Essences

You make your own serum Neroli! I really admire that! :up: Your recipe looks easy also. Where do you get your 100% pure dimethicone copoyol?

Thanks! I thought "Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone & Dimethicone" were all NOT water soluble?

I get the 100% pure dimethicone copoyol (a/k/a Wacker-Belsil DMC 6038) at www.ingredientstodiefor.com ($3.50 for 1oz or $14.50 for 8oz). I don't REALLY make my own serum, I just mix a few drops of the dimethicone copolyol with a few drops of caster oil in my hand, rub together and apply to freshly washed hair on top of my leave in. . .

Neroli said:
Thanks! I thought "Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone & Dimethicone" were all NOT water soluble?

I get the 100% pure dimethicone copoyol (a/k/a Wacker-Belsil DMC 6038) at www.ingredientstodiefor.com ($3.50 for 1oz or $14.50 for 8oz). I don't REALLY make my own serum, I just mix a few drops of the dimethicone copolyol with a few drops of caster oil in my hand, rub together and apply to freshly washed hair on top of my leave in. . .

According to Aveda stylists it allows moisture into the hair from outside and it washes right out, without the need to clarify. People who are using it (besides me now) we are not experiencing any kind of build-up from this product. It washes right out. Perhaps it's the combination of these cones with the other ingredients in this Aveda serum that makes a difference, I don't know.

I did experiment with something else recently and immediately my hair felt coated and I had to clarify. Up until then, I haven't felt a need to clarify for the past year or so.

Thanks Neroli for sharing about the castor oil and dimethicone copolyol combo though, and the link. I bet it works very well!

I haven't been using them on purpose, but I realize that they are in some of the products that make my hair feel and look the best. I love them! :up:

Back