POLL: Do You: No Cone, Low Cone, or Yes to Cones??

Do you use silicones aka 'cones' or 'icones?'

• No, I avoid ALL silicones!

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • No and Yes, I avoid SOME silicones!

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 123 27.1%
  • Yes, but sparingly!

Votes: 88 19.4%
  • Sometimes, whenever I feel like it!

Votes: 43 9.5%
  • I don't know/care!

Votes: 89 19.6%

• Total voters
I am a low cone'er.

I use condtioners with cones, but I try to stick with those that have cones after the first 4 or 5 ingredients and only one type of cone. I never use shampoos with cones.

I also use them once a week when I use heat. I never use them in between shampou days. Never really have a need for them and none of my moisturizers have them.

Yes I love them!!! But I just found out I really need to clarify on the regular because of build up. I don't think my hair really acts right with out them:nono:

which DC's dont have cones in them?

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, White Camelia, Rosa Mosqueta have no cones
Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea Considh- no cones
Lustrasilk Tea Tree, Shea butter Condish- even though it isnt marked as a deep conditioner has no cones

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, White Camelia, Rosa Mosqueta have no cones
Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea Considh- no cones
Lustrasilk Tea Tree, Shea butter Condish- even though it isnt marked as a deep conditioner has no cones

Thanks nappity4b!:)

I like how cones make my hair feel, but I can't handle the build-up. I have enough build-up problems from my haaaaarrrrrrdddddd water as it is.

There are cones in my DC (Miss Key 10 en 1) and my moisturizer (S-curl) but the cones are waaay down on the ingredients list..my hair seems to be able to tolerate these levels of cones....

I voted yes and no and that I avoid some cones because I don't mind a product having cones because our hair could use some of them as they do have some positive effect on our hair but I would not knowingly use a product that has toooo many cones in it. For me this would be asking for trouble.

I try to avoid all cones. I don't believe they are bad in themselves, it's just that my hair really doesn't like them for some reason. I was using this deep conditioner that had dimethicone and amodimethicone in it for a while, and it was the only thing that I changed about my otherwise cone-free routine, and my hair was beginning to feel very dry and look kind of straggly. Ever since I stopped using cones my hair has improved a lot. The only exception I make is for Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor, which I use right after I get my relaxer.

I like them .. but I don't like. Some of my favorite leave-ins and moisturizers have cones but I can't use them everyday because it blocks EVERYTHING OUT.

I don't mind using them now that I'm a daily co-washer.

But I feel like, I have to put my moisturizer on my ends, THEN my leave-in.

Idk.:perplexed

I try to minimize use of insoluble cones, but I don't want to become a cone nazi. I like them as long as I can still moisturize my hair. I don't like using serum much anymore.

Sometimes...but I try to avoid products with too many cones. When I do use them, I clarify within the week.

Last edited:
I've found that my hair absolutely loves cones when dry, namely serums, but is not a big fan when wet. It really softens my hair.

If it's a conditioner with cones, it's not so bad as long it gets rinsed out thoroughly.

Yes i love them! i cant live without my serum!!! but need my hair thoroughly rinsed and deep cond every 2 weeks though but then i still reapply the serum daily:grin: it s weird my relaxed hair thrived with cones go figure:ohwell:

Thanks for the info OP. I dont pay attention to whether my conditioners have cones in them or not. Perhaps I'll start.

I love em!
Especially the Fantasia IC range, that has helped with frizz and straightening.
Don't wory i do clarify so no build up. :yep:

i'm sorry but cones are a life saver for me.

they help me comb my hair out....keep more hair on my head...help my hair grow by helping with tangling tremendously...save time ....i can't imagine a world without cones man...

This was my very thought today :yep: ...

all products with cones aren't bad and actually work on some heads.

I am trying to implement more natural based products in my regimen going forward, but to help with the tangling...

The products that work for me that have a cone (and I'm fine haired) usually just have one in them. I took some time to look this morning --

Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask, NTM Daily Deep conditioner and HE's Dangerously Straight all have one cone. Which I don't think is that bad. [they saved my *** today--again, always coming to the rescue - I don't think I can stretch and not deal with tangles without them]

Same goes for HE's Long Term Relationship.

My White Rain Tropical Coconut and VO5 Tea Tree Therapy have no cones.

For those that use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa - that has no cones as well.

I'm thinking about taking some of my cheapie no cones/one coners and souping them up with some coconut and oils.

I clarify at least once a month, so I'm not seeing as an issue. So, they will stay in rotation along with the natural based products and work together.

Last edited:
I just started using cones again. I added HE None of your Frizziness to my repetoire, and I love it! I just wonder, is shampooing with Jason's apricot shampoo enough to clarify dimethicone? It's only that one cone in the ingredients for HE NOYF

My leave ins don't have cones but my conditioner/shampoos do. I have yet to find a product that can moisturize my hair without cones.

The natural part of my hair loves :mmmchocolate:cones..makes comb out a breeze. I only use it post shampoo..no problem except when using too much shea butter..it just sits there and will not be absorbed; problem solved by using a lighter oil such as almond.

Back