POLL: Do You: No Cone, Low Cone, or Yes to Cones??

Do you use silicones aka 'cones' or 'icones?'

• No, I avoid ALL silicones!

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • No and Yes, I avoid SOME silicones!

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 123 27.1%
  • Yes, but sparingly!

Votes: 88 19.4%
  • Sometimes, whenever I feel like it!

Votes: 43 9.5%
  • I don't know/care!

Votes: 89 19.6%

• Total voters
I have always had at least some cones in my hair products (not because I sought them out--they were just in there) until recently, and I gotta say, I'm really liking cone-free living :yep: :up:

My hair doesnt like serums, but other than that, I dont really pay attention. Does that make me a bad lhcfer? I just use what works so long as it doesnt have petroleum in it. :look:

I picked no and yes. I don't use them most days, but I have some rinse out conditioners with cones that I really like. My hair likes a little cone-age sometimes but it benefits it more in a rinse out conditioner. Since I shampoo, cone build up is not an issue for me as long as I use water soluable cones or those that can be removed with a coco betain poo. I only use sulfates 2x's a year to really get the gunk out. None of my styling products or leave in conditioners have cones.

I love my 'cones and so far they love me. I calrify each time I was and deep condition afterwards, so I feel they mean me no harm.

I love my 'cones and so far they love me. I clarify each time I wash and deep condition afterwards, so I feel they mean me no harm.:cool:

Well... when I first started CO washing I didn't pay attention to what I was using, and had a few Herbal Essences conditioners (loaded with Cyclopentasiloxane). After a while my hair was slimy and plasticy feeling and it took a few washes with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of it.
After that I did some research and found out that without shampoo, cones build up.

So, for CO washing I only use no-cone conditioners and products with either no cones or the water soluble cone Dimethicone Copolyol.

On the rare occasion that I flat iron, I use a heat protection spray with silicones and a serum with silicones. I believe that using silicones on dry hair makes them easier to remove that if used on wet hair as they don't get under the cuticle as much. Then for my next wash I will shampoo not CO wash.
I will use them when straightening as I find the silicones help prevent frizzing.

What an essay!

To cut it short: no to cones unless I'm planning on straightening/shampooing.

Last edited:
Isis said:
I never used cones until recently when I learned here about the Aveda Brilliant Serum. It's water soluable so I have no build-up and very moisturizing. I love the results. :)

Thank you! I was just about to ask for the name of a water-soluble serum.

I used to be a conehead. Gave them all up and I'm not looking back. No cones for me. I cowash daily and if I used cones that would mean I would have to clarify with an SLS shampoo...and those types of shampoos make my hair very angry at me. ;)

I'm pretty much a seasonal cone user. I normally use products heavy in cones during the summer months to hold my hair style, and tend to use little to no cones during the winter months... so I guess I'll say low cone.

I am just learning about cones - I have to check out my products to see how much is lurking - I use Avdea Damage Remedy - I think someone said it had cones in it..to what extent, I dont know.

I've just started using cones this summer...all of my garnier fructis products contain some sort of silicone...i'm also using a serum (john frieda)...my hair seems to like it...it keeps my hair from becoming a frizzy mess...but I also make sure to clarify every week too.

I have a question...when I clarify I usually use ACV...would that be enough to remove all of the cones or do I really have to use a clarifying shampoo for that?...TIA.

Lady_Lioness said:
I've just started using cones this summer...all of my garnier fructis products contain some sort of silicone...i'm also using a serum (john frieda)...my hair seems to like it...it keeps my hair from becoming a frizzy mess...but I also make sure to clarify every week too.

I have a question...when I clarify I usually use ACV...would that be enough to remove all of the cones or do I really have to use a clarifying shampoo for that?...TIA.

ACV does NOT clarify. Does not, does not, does not!! ;) The only thing that ACV does is return your hair to it's natural PH, but it don't clarify worth a danngone.

I avoid cones like the plague - I live in a humid environment, and my hair NEEDS every drop of moisture that it can get - if I use cones, I get crunchy hair.

nappywomyn said:
ACV does NOT clarify. Does not, does not, does not!! ;) The only thing that ACV does is return your hair to it's natural PH, but it don't clarify worth a danngone.

I avoid cones like the plague - I live in a humid environment, and my hair NEEDS every drop of moisture that it can get - if I use cones, I get crunchy hair.
Thanx girl:)...I guess now I need to invest in a clarifying shampoo...I'm just afraid of how harsh it can be on the hair...What clarifying shampoo do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I used to use the silicone shine products, but gave them up because I always got major build up, and I found that these products did not mix well with other products, and they created a glue like residue in my hair that I found hard to get out.

Bumping this thread....

Just learning about cones however I have noticed a few of my products have some cones in it...my hair has seemed to THRIVE off of them as long as they arent strictly FULL of cones.

i'm not sure, i need to check the ingredients in a few of my products...but i don't think i use too much :perplexed

i wont even lie, i love cones, and i dont ONLY use them when i am flat ironing my hair, i think it works for some people and not well for others, i dont feel like it blocks moisture from my hair at all.

i also find that if a clarify every 2 weeks with ACV my hair thrives on this

I love how they make my hair look initially, but after a day or two my hair is dry as a dog bone. So, I have to avoid cones as much as possible.:(

I really wanted to vote that I avoid them, b/c I know they will prevent conditioning from soaking the hair shaft....

But detangling is the KEY to keeping my growth. I grow hair pretty quickly but my hair tangles into balls...and cones...dimethcone,etc in Motions moisture, dove moisture, keracare, all the the conds that allows the knots, to UNknot, and leaves my hair on my head are....cones :look: , so heck, I love them !

Plus they soften...1 of the best things known to man...after all that preachin, I think I'm over my cone hesitance :)

Back