Please Advise: Twist Extension Maintenance

PaperClip

I just got some BEAUTIFUL twist extensions today (ends burnt)....

Please advise on how to maintain in terms of low buildup and what to put on the twist extensions to keep them fresh/shiny without being greasy....

I attempted to search this topic and er ah...not enough info to work with....

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your twist.

I have some suggestions in my fotki. Also you can make a daily spritz that will help you maintain moisture and not be so heavy for your braids.

Everyone's hair reacts differently with certain products so I would say if you used products in the past to give you moisture place it in a spray bottle and use that.

Also for washing the twists, low manipulations. Use can place some shampoo, oil and water in a spray bottle and spray this on your twists. Leave it in with a plastic cap and then use another spray bottle with water to rinse it out. It takes a while but you won't manipulate the twists so much.

Or use can you one of the products out on the market that will allow you to spray the twists and will keep them smelling fresh. I think they are called braid shampoos. These won't suds up in your hair.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I co wash with a light Conditioner. When you DC please spend time rinsing out, I did mine in sections and keep the other braids up (remember there is that slipping factor) Because they tend get heavy when washing, I recommend you place your hair in a net to prevent slipping. I used baking soda diluted and pour it over the braids and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't use poo anymore. In terms of moisture, make a mist, I have one of glycerine and Salerm and Rosemary oil. I spray my scalp with it and the hair to keep it fresh and moisturized. Don't overdo it with products, I use Coconut oil a little bit for shine.

Last edited:
What are you all's thoughts about dry shampoo? I'm a low-maintenance type of sistah so that's good but of course I don't want my hair to smell and I'd like to make sure my own hair is well maintained, moisturized, etc.

a good mist and some baking soda you will be fine and an occasional ACV. not much work and cheap as hell. lol

Get a good braid spray. One that's not oily. I usually buy the African Royale BRX one. Some people use the Infusium Spray too as a strengthener.

Back