Peroxide + Baking Soda = Hair Lightner??

AsTheCurlzTurns

I came across someone's fotki sometime today and now I can't find it :( But someone had some pics in there about a natural hair lightener method using peroxide and baking soda. I've been trying to search previous posts but every time I input a search term(s), the page comes back as blank. Anyone heard of this? How is it done and what's your opinion on this method? TIA!

I haven't heard of this but I've heard of using lemon juice and letting this + sun lighten your hair naturally

I came across someone's fotki sometime today and now I can't find it :( But someone had some pics in there about a natural hair lightener method using peroxide and baking soda. I've been trying to search previous posts but every time I input a search term(s), the page comes back as blank. Anyone heard of this? How is it done and what's your opinion on this method? TIA!

Yes it's a member of BHM that has details in her fotki. I believe her name is McElwifey. She had really pretty results with it too.

We used to do this in junior highschool minus the baking soda. :lachen: We all had orange brassy looking streaks and you couldn't tell us nothin!!!!. :lachen:

You can bleach your hair this way, but it is terribly, terribly damaging and the color results can be very unpredictable. If you're going to color your hair, you should probably use a commercial color. At least that way you know what to expect.

Thanks so much everyone for responding.
wheezy807--I understand that now, I was just wondering if anyone's tried it. Thanks.
DivaRox--Haven't heard of that one, so thanks.
Alli77 and kiesha8185--You both nailed it on the head for that was exactly who it was LOL Thanks.
Sistaslick--Couldn't tell ya'll nothin' huh? LOL I totally feel you on that. Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.
prettyfaceANB--Wow, didn't know one could wash their face with that. Sorry it did that to you, hopefully you were able to recover from that. Thanks.
gymfreak336--That's pretty much like what some hair color kits come with right? Or you buy that separately? Thanks.
nikkipoo--Thanks.
nubianqt86--definitely know what you mean. Thanks.

Thanks so much everyone for responding.
wheezy807--I understand that now, I was just wondering if anyone's tried it. Thanks.
DivaRox--Haven't heard of that one, so thanks.
Alli77 and kiesha8185--You both nailed it on the head for that was exactly who it was LOL Thanks.
Sistaslick--Couldn't tell ya'll nothin' huh? LOL I totally feel you on that. Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.
prettyfaceANB--Wow, didn't know one could wash their face with that. Sorry it did that to you, hopefully you were able to recover from that. Thanks.
gymfreak336--That's pretty much like what some hair color kits come with right? Or you buy that separately? Thanks.
nikkipoo--Thanks.
nubianqt86--definitely know what you mean. Thanks.

Yeah. Any perm color has 20vol developer or even sometimes 30. 10vol is used in demi perm. color to open the cuticle without any lifting of your color. 20 and 20 vol. lift.

Has any naturals tried this method with any success? I loved the auburn color that mcelweewife had in her hair :love: Auburn has been my color of choice for years!! :yep: However everytime I would color my hair it would ultimately break off. :sad: I know with the knowledge I have gained on this forum I can care properly for colored hair....a sista is just scared tho'. :ohwell: :perplexed :look:

Has any naturals tried this method with any success? I loved the auburn color that mcelweewife had in her hair :love: Auburn has been my color of choice for years!! :yep: However everytime I would color my hair it would ultimately break off. :sad: I know with the knowledge I have gained on this forum I can care properly for colored hair....a sista is just scared tho'. :ohwell: :perplexed :look:

EMJazzy, just a quick question......

When you colored where you relaxed? What kind of color where you using?

EMJazzy, just a quick question......

When you colored where you relaxed? What kind of color where you using?

When I was relaxed (prior to 1996) I always used a Jazzing (the cherry cola color) As a natural (since 1996) I colored my hair Auburn using Dark N' Lovely....breakage city. :sad:

My sister did this with peroxide when she was a teenager and everyone said her hair would break off. But, it didn't and it actually look nice. When I used proactive it turned my edges blond too. They didn't break but I couldn't wait until they grew out.

When I was relaxed (prior to 1996) I always used a Jazzing (the cherry cola color) As a natural (since 1996) I colored my hair Auburn using Dark N' Lovely....breakage city. :sad:

Gotcha. Dark N'Lovely has one of the harshest overthecounter formula's and since then color science for home use has come a long way. If you want, I can pm you some info that might be of benefit for you in the future, if you ever dye or think about it again. Clairol's new science has me super excited. It really is revolutionary.

Gotcha. Dark N'Lovely has one of the harshest overthecounter formula's and since then color science for home use has come a long way. If you want, I can pm you some info that might be of benefit for you in the future, if you ever dye or think about it again. Clairol's new science has me super excited. It really is revolutionary.

Yes please PM me, I am really interested in the information. :up:

yeah and also lemon juice. Just mix baking soda and lemon juice together and you get permanent highlights lol. They look good though.. My sister did it.

I know what you mean by that "breakage city". It didn't do my hair too bad, just left it soooo dull and dry. I had the Lt. Blonde one and I didn't do it again after that with that brand. I've inquired on here about Clariol's Textures and Tones line and it seems to be a good one from what I gathered. I'm just waiting to get the remaining text out of my hair before I go and try it out LOL

Back