Paging Tracy and other people who are familiar with permanent hair color

G

Hello there.

I was looking in your hair journal and I noticed your vibrant color! So, I wanna ask you something.

This is what happened. I went to a hair lady on last Friday, and I told her that I wanted my roots dyed to match my ends which is a light orangeish brown. So she mixed the stuff and put it on my hair and sat me under my dryer. So, my hair never lifted. So, I sat under that hot dang dryer for some 45 minutes and it never got light. Then I told her that my other hair dresser used something to make it lift. So then she said,

"Oooh! The booster! Why didn't you tell me that while I was mixing the stuff?"

I said to myself, "You dumb idiot. What did you go to hair school for?" She told me that she would need some more hair color for the booster. Is that true? I thought my hairdresser just placed it on by itself, after she did the dyeing, and sat me back under the dryer.

Anyways, I am scheduled to go back to the salon in two weeks. I am going to get the color done, but girl, I was sooo mad, I had the nerve to get up, while she left me sitting with conditioner in my hair, and go talk to the other hairdresser, and I asked her to do my hair next time. Oh yes I did! This was the worst hairdresser I've been to so far. She started on my head an hour late (my appt was at 5) and I didn't get out of there til some 10:25. Oh yes, I did go ask that other hairdresser to do my hair. But, she told me that I would need a conditioning treatment before I got the color done? I can't remember what she said.

Anways, this is what I wanted to ask you. When you had that color done in your hair, did you need a booster? Also, do you recommend me getting my roots done over again in two weeks, even though I'll shampoo and condition three times in between those weeks?

Thanks,
Karonica

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Then I told her that my other hair dresser used something to make it lift. So then she said, "Oooh! The booster! Why didn't you tell me that while I was mixing the stuff?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Karonica,
I can't believe this hairdresser!! Is she serious? Are you going back to the same salon? Also, is the hairdresser going to condition your hair? Or are you supposed to do it yourself? I would like to know. Currently I don't color my hair at all, but I've been thinking about it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Girl, I was soooo mad, that while she left me with conditioner in my hair for an hour, I got upset, and went and talked to another stylist about doing my hair, and then I made an appointment with her. I don't know if she'll let me get the color over again, but I know that the hairstyles she does are the BOMB and that she appears to know something about hair. That other lady was ridiculous. I should report her, up their digging and scratching in my scalp while washing it. That was totally uncalled for. I don't see how she has any customers at all.

I don't know if she'll let me get the color over again, but I know that the hairstyles she does are the BOMB and that she appears to know something about hair.

[/ QUOTE ] That's what I'm wondering. If it didn't come out right the first time, how long do you have to wait to do it over again? I don't blame for going to that other hairdresser, I would have done the same. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karonica....

Wait babe. I know you want it fixed now, but I would wait. Your cuticles need some time to re-align. I would condition your hair twice a week for a good 4 weeks (maybe add an ACV rinse if you can to help re-align the cuticle faster), and then go to the new stylist. You (and the crazy hairdresser) are correct - the booster is needed.

What kind (brand, permanent or semi, color) did you use before? I can give you more specific instructions with this info. Holla back chica!

Wait babe. I know you want it fixed now, but I would wait. Your cuticles need some time to re-align. I would condition your hair twice a week for a good 4 weeks (maybe add an ACV rinse if you can to help re-align the cuticle faster), and then go to the new stylist.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks Tracy. That answered my question. I don't know anything about hair color, but I did wonder about the waiting time to correct any mistakes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I get the bottle little bottle of permanent Clairol in sunset brown level 3. Oh heezy, you think I should wait eh? I've washed my hair a total of twice so far, last night was only a conditioner wash which made my hair so soft, I can't stop feeling it. My goodness!

PS-What's an ACV.

With permie color you GOTTA wait. I know you want it fixed like yesterday - but you really should wait. Especially if you are planning on relaxing soon as evidenced by your recent post about the Motions Mild. AND you should also consider when you'll want a touch up again.

If you bought your perm that probably means you'll be using it soon. If this is indeed the case, you should do the following in this order without much deviation or risk a disaster - believe me - I KNOW. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

1. Relax
2. Condition relentlessly (including ACV rinses. ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar. Particularly helpful because the acidity counteracts the alkalinity of the chemicals you'll be using and because the same acidity helps re-align the raised cuticle after processing).
3.Color 4-6 weeks later depending on how long you normally wait. If you wait 3 months between perms then 6 weeks is best. If 8 weeks then 4 weeks. Generally you should give hair about 4 weeks wait at least between each chemical process.
4. Wait at least 8 weeks before even considering a touch up. I wait 3 months from the date I color to do my next touch up - just to be safe.

When I color I relax, then wait 6 weeks, color and then wait another two months to perm again.

Be very, very, VERY careful. Even if you've done this already with no incident, every time you process the hair with chemicals, you weaken it some more. If you shorten the time in between processes you don't allow the hair sufficient time to recover before assaulting it again. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Proceed with caution - hope I haven't scared you too much - because you CAN relax and color safely depending on your hair's tolerance for the conjunction of chemicals involved. Since you already have a perm and a color, you know your hair can deal - but sometimes we take that for granted and overdo it thinking it will all be good. If you are careful it will. But don't get cute! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy coloring (and perming) chicita. Let us know how it turns out. And certainly ask anything else that comes to mind.

But don't rush it....

Thanks for your help guys. I am going to definitely talk to the stylist, and tell her I'll wait for the next color application. I don't think she was gonna let me do it anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Back