Operation Save My Mama's hair

nychaelasymone

Hi ladies,

I gotta help my mom save her hair. She's been natural all her life and subjected herself to biweekly press and curls. She asked me to do her hair this week and of couse I did and realized my mom hair is fried and severly damaged. She's now getting net weaves so her hair can rest but I think she needs some major attention to at least regain the health of her hair. Her hair is so thin and I'm afraid she has hot comb alopecia. I told her after this round of net weaves, we're going to take some serious action on her hair. She's from the old school, she combs her hair so rough and uses these synthetic hard brushes. All I see is hair in the sink, in the combs, and in the brushes. Also, she sleeps on these hard rollers w/ teeth and the rollers are covered in hair (all prior to the weave). I told her that she has to listen to me on this one or I am afraid she will be bald.

This is my attack program for right now:

I'm going to start her off w/a weekly light/medium protein treatment (motions CPR) followed by a moisture treatement (not sure which one yet). Hopefully this will curb the breakage and give her hair some life. I'm going to apply leave-in conditioners and braid her hair-she is going to wear a wig for a few months.

No heavy oils on the scalp (she still uses dax )-instead, I obtained some
Alma Oil Pomade from Qhemet (I use this stuff, love-it) and/or pure vitamin e oil mixed w/ peppermint and rosemary.

Apply jojoba oil directly to the hair to seal in daily moisture

I purchased some boundless tresses for her to use on her scalp

All of her tiny toothed combs are going to die and be replaced I got her a nice wide tooth comb and a soft boars hair brush.

I need more suggestions because my moms hair saddens me.

I just cornered my mom and rescued her from the pits of the press n curl over Christmas. She is natural too and was damaging her head. I just bought her the products, tossed out what she didn't need, dragged her to the sink kicking and screaming and washed and set her hair.

It was truly a battle to lure her away from all the old school ways!:grin: So I know where you are at right now. But since then, she now only washes and sets her hair and has been press n curl free since Christmas.

If you don't live with your mother, I suggest giving her a simple plan to follow.......one that is easy for her to keep up with but will give some positive results.

Throw away all her tools that you know are bad. Well, don't tell her you are throwing them away, say something like "Oh, well I need a comb like this, so I will just take yours and give you this one in exchange" then throw it away.:grin:

Good luck because the older they are the harder it is to get them to change!

I just cornered my mom and rescued her from the pits of the press n curl over Christmas. She is natural too and was damaging her head. I just bought her the products, tossed out what she didn't need, dragged her to the sink kicking and screaming and washed and set her hair.

It was truly a battle to lure her away from all the old school ways!:grin: So I know where you are at right now. But since then, she now only washes and sets her hair and has been press n curl free since Christmas.

If you don't live with your mother, I suggest giving her a simple plan to follow.......one that is easy for her to keep up with but will give some positive results.

Throw away all her tools that you know are bad. Well, don't tell her you are throwing them away, say something like "Oh, well I need a comb like this, so I will just take yours and give you this one in exchange" then throw it away.:grin:

Good luck because the older they are the harder it is to get them to change!

Lawd I know all to well!

Back