Online Dating and Background Checks

PaperClip

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3285863&page=1

Good Morning America did a story this week on online dating dangers and listed the following sites re. background checks:

True.com provides criminal and marital background checks, but it's the only site.
Match.com gives free temporary phone numbers to keep your real phone number a secret.
Intelius.com will conduct dating background checks for any dating Web site.

Here's a link to the series of news reports re. online dating.

Online Alert: Some Pedophiles Date Moms to Reach Kids

Some Sexual Predators Troll Internet Dating Sites for Single Parents

Online Dating Can Be Dangerous

Experts Say Take Precautions Before First Date

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SpecialSeries/story?id=3474065&page=1

That sounds like something that could be applied dating online or IRL. I think that the stigma surrounding online dating would be eased when people start to realize that the same man that is trolling sites to get with them and next to their children is the same exact man that could strike up a conversation IRL and you wouldn't be the wiser.

Exactly! It doesn't matter if it is online or not dating today can be dangerous. I tell my best friend all of the time that when she thinks she has found "the one" we will be running a background check and may even hire a PI to check him out. You just never know these days. Men should do the same!

That sounds like something that could be applied dating online or IRL. I think that the stigma surrounding online dating would be eased when people start to realize that the same man that is trolling sites to get with them and next to their children is the same exact man that could strike up a conversation IRL and you wouldn't be the wiser.

Exactly! It doesn't matter if it is online or not dating today can be dangerous. I tell my best friend all of the time that when she thinks she has found "the one" we will be running a background check and may even hire a PI to check him out. You just never know these days.

Men should do the same![/quote]
I agree...:yep: There are some crazy women out there too.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3285863&page=1

Good Morning America did a story this week on online dating dangers and listed the following sites re. background checks:

True.com provides criminal and marital background checks, but it's the only site.
Match.com gives free temporary phone numbers to keep your real phone number a secret.
Intelius.com will conduct dating background checks for any dating Web site.

Here's a link to the series of news reports re. online dating.

Online Alert: Some Pedophiles Date Moms to Reach Kids

Some Sexual Predators Troll Internet Dating Sites for Single Parents

Online Dating Can Be Dangerous

Experts Say Take Precautions Before First Date

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SpecialSeries/story?id=3474065&page=1

Good Post RR to give us an alert.

Important FYI.... I just did a personal search on myself on the Intellus website. The information is not accurate. It has a long list of relatives that I've never even heard of and it also has me listed at an address where I have never lived. :nono:

Note: I do not have a common name. It is also very rare in it's spelling, so this cannot be a mistaken identity, as it would with someone named Joe Smith or Mary Jones which are more common names.

I'm not sure how they obtain their information, but it needs to be more accurate for someone can be falsely accused of something. That's not good. :nono:

This is still a good thread RR... :yep:

I think maybe the difference with online dating/meeting people is that you encounter many more people than you would IRL. That is to say, you have more of a chance to meet someone "bad" simply because you are dealing with a larger pool of people all trying to meet someone. (But then you could say you also have more of a chance to meet someone "good".) Also, there are some differences in online communication and IRL communication. There are certain things that are easier to hide online. But a person can be deceived either way.

If you want to do a search and possibly see if someone has a criminal background try searching your state or county's clerk of courts. Its free to the public. You can be surprised about some of the stuff that comes up on people. I know i was surprised.

Back