One of my biggest pet peeves in this hair game

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Is when folx do these youtube videos and talk about their 4b and 4c hair and you look at their hair with these big glossy 3c/4a wash n go curls. I see this time after time (if you're lost you can look and you will find me :lol:). GAH!!!!!! Stop saying you are 4c when you CLEARLY are not :nono: Because when folks like me go looking for 4b and 4c videos we want to HULK SMASH our screens :lol:

M0fsbxi.jpg

Realistic Expectations for 4C (Coarse) Hair

:lol: your "rant" reminded me of jouelzy's video about 4C hair. I don't have 4C hair but I love her and her vids nonetheless.

so true... argh.. not just on youtube. I stopped frequenting the 4a and 4a/3c picture threads for this very reason.

Is when folx do these youtube videos and talk about their 4b and 4c hair and you look at their hair with these big glossy 3c/4a wash n go curls. I see this time after time (if you're lost you can look and you will find me :lol:). GAH!!!!!! Stop saying you are 4c when you CLEARLY are not :nono: Because when folks like me go looking for 4b and 4c videos we want to HULK SMASH our screens :lol:

I could have written thus myself. Thank god I don't get frustrated about it anymore. I just move on to the next video.

LOL This is a slight annoyance to me. The hair typing system is confusing to most so I don't get too worked up about it.

M0fsbxi.jpg

Realistic Expectations for 4C (Coarse) Hair

:lol: your "rant" reminded me of jouelzy's video about 4C hair. I don't have 4C hair but I love her and her vids nonetheless.
Thanks for posting this video link ShyIntellect. I have to agree with most of what she said since even as a 4B I had to except similar things. Wash and Gos are not gonna happen for me and heat whoa boy! I enjoyed getting my hair relaxer straight at the salon but my hair simply cannot handle the high amounts of heat needed to achieve that look. :nono: I love my texture too much.

Hmm, I've never seen anyone misrepresent 4c hair. 4b and 4a - yes, but never 4c. 4c hair, in my opinion, is unmistakable. That being said, which youtubers claim to be 4c but actually aren't? PM me if need be. I'm very curious about this.

Hmm, I've never seen anyone misrepresent 4c hair. 4b and 4a - yes, but never 4c. 4c hair, in my opinion, is unmistakable. That being said, which youtubers claim to be 4c but actually aren't? PM me if need be. I'm very curious about this.

Here is the last video I watched. She believes she is a 4b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVzkip5Dfo&list=HL1366003187

Beautiful hair and no shade intended, just using this as an example....

Hair typing is very subjective so I take it with a grain salt. Whatever you say are I am cool. I just keep it moving.

:dead: :lol: @ Hulk Smash

I be like girl stop lying! Just cuz you have shrinkage don't mean you have 4b hair! :lol:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Here is the last video I watched. She believes she is a 4b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVzkip5Dfo&list=HL1366003187

Beautiful hair and no shade intended, just using this as an example....

Ok so not 4b. :lachen: Chile if she only knew.

I thought I had straight 4b hair till i met my daughter's hair. It is course...no pattern whatsoever...shrinkage 80-90% and looks like a cloud. Mine forms some type of curls in most places when wet. Hers does not. Shoot i know ppl say there is no 4c, but if there is I'd imagine my dd to have it.

Eta: I'm subbing to that 4c girl. She's funny and cute too. I like to sub to 4b/c girls especially for dd.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Last edited:
I think the hair typing system can be confusing.

At the same time let us not forget that 4c hair can be thick and beautiful. Yes it is unmistakable too. But it sometimes seems like one is mourning that they have 4c hair while seeing the curly bouncing wash n go's.

Ladies your hair is beautiful, let us project that.

I've noticed this as well. I also take issue with people that incorrectly tag their hair type for more hits. I was annoyed when I saw a video tagged "ethnic natural hair", and the girl clearly had a relaxer. WTF?

I think many people are confused when it comes to hair typing. I've personally given up on it long ago. :lol: I went from 3c to 4b and back to 4a - I still have no idea. My hair shrinks up to my nape (even the looser curl sections of my hair) so I don't think shrinkage = type.

I call it the 4b/4c badge. It's like some type of badge of honor. I've seen it on this board for a while. I used to say something about it but I get ganged up on for "not understanding the hair type system".

When I see threads or videos about 4B/4C, I click on it, check for pictures and just keep moving if I see waves or defined curls. If there's no picture, I still X out of thread because many 4b here are not "hulk bush".

Enyo

She probably meant no weave. I hear a lot of people refer to their hair as "natural hair" when it's relaxed and finally realized they meant no weave.

I've noticed this as well. I also take issue with people that incorrectly tag their hair type for more hits. I was annoyed when I saw a video tagged "ethnic natural hair", and the girl clearly had a relaxer. WTF?

here is another that i can't believe is 4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu0GiEmiSWk
This lady was saying she has no curl pattern while she was combing through her hair. Any afro texture no matter the hair type will be curl less if combed through! She was shocked when she saw her curls and you're right she is not a 4c.

Type 4 is just as versatile as others though. It doesn't always grow up and out. A really small curl can be very silky and shiny yet still be 4a or 4b. Just because it hangs it's not automatically type 3. This is 4a in curl size but I see people call hair like this 3c all the time. (Not me or my hair)
iooqn1fg.bmp

Its probably because they don't know their hair type and nobody will tell them. All the comments on they vid were just to say her hair was pretty, but not one person said 'sweetie, you might not be type 4b'.

I have the same problem. Idk my hair type and neither does anybody else. It is actually frustrating but I'm not making youtube videos so it doesn't really matter. :lol: Hair typing is confusing anyways... there is curl size, shrinkage, density... lions tigers and bears...

I feel you girl. I had to watch a whole lot of videos to find someone whose hair looked anything like mine. I think Jouelzy was the first one I found. I was like, yeah, that looks like my hair :yep: But it is rare find for me. I may have 3 or 4 channels with 4b, 4c natural hair.

Enyo said:

You know what, i think you hit the nail on the head. More views!!! I dont think everyone does it for this reason but i think you may be on to something

Sent from the corner pay phone

Amarilles said:
This lady was saying she has no curl pattern while she was combing through her hair. Any afro texture no matter the hair type will be curl less if combed through! She was shocked when she saw her curls and you're right she is not a 4c.

Type 4 is just as versatile as others though. It doesn't always grow up and out. A really small curl can be very silky and shiny yet still be 4a or 4b. Just because it hangs it's not automatically type 3. This is 4a in curl size but I see people call hair like this 3c all the time. (Not me or my hair)

I believe her to be 4a as well :yep:

faithVA said:
I feel you girl. I had to watch a whole lot of videos to find someone whose hair looked anything like mine. I think Jouelzy was the first one I found. I was like, yeah, that looks like my hair :yep: But it is rare find for me. I may have 3 or 4 channels with 4b, 4c natural hair.

It is tough! And i know that my hair isnt 4c but i still like to watch those videos because of how my hair behaves

I just watched somebody's video and I can't remember who it was but she was saying your curl type should be based on what your hair looks like before you put the product on which would be confusing if folks typing their hair after the product so honestly I don't know what is the right way.

Misrepresentation. I think this is a light bulb moment for me, cuz I watched a lot of ytubers that claim to be 4 something and it was really confusing. I have said I am a 4a cuz my hair doesn't look like or do what 4b/c hair does. It doesn't really look 4a either cuz most 4a hair I have seen on yt looks to have a curl pattern which I don't. Either way, I can now relax and just be a 5.:grin:

Back