Oh my oh my...I just washed my hair with this Indian Aritha Shampoo Bar!

Has anyone tried Dabur Vatika shampoo? I just picked up a bottle at the Indian store on my quest for soap...

I did also buy some Shikakai, amla, and aritha powders.

Attachments

• vhs3.jpg
    vhs3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 47
I'm going to an indian grocery store today to look for products. For some reason, I'm kind of hesistant...I don't want them to give me that "What is she doing in here" look.

I hope I find these shampoo bars though :spinning:

Not only have I tried Dabur Vatika shampoo, but I LOVE it :lick:. My hair is so soft after washing with it. I have like 4 bottles to make sure I don't run out!!

Not only have I tried Dabur Vatika shampoo, but I LOVE it :lick:. My hair is so soft after washing with it. I have like 4 bottles to make sure I don't run out!!

:pepper: Yesssss!!!! I'm using it tonight!! I got so excited trying to sniff it in the store, I got some on my nose :look:

I just got back from the Indian grocery store, they were so nice :drunk: I couldn't find the Aritha bars, so I got a shikakai bar and some amla oil

can't wait to try it

:pepper: Yesssss!!!! I'm using it tonight!! I got so excited trying to sniff it in the store, I got some on my nose :look:

Be sure to update on how you like this. I got a free bottle with my Vatika oil purchase at my local Indian store and I haven't used it yet. For some reason I was assuming that it would make my hair dry.:ohwell:

There's an Indian store right next to my job and I just went and bought the Shikakai Soap bar for......$1.00. The man even gave me a 2008 calendar as a gift since I always go in there. They have EVERYTHING for dirt cheap. I'm going to try this sometime next week since I'm getting a touch-up this weekend and I hope I get that "orgasmic" feeling too :lachen:

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh ladies...

I just visited Taj Mahal imports over there off Briarcliff here in ATL. After my hairorgasmic experience last night...well...I needed more. Here's what I bought...

6 bars of Swastik Shikakai Shampoo
1 gigantic bottle of Shikakai oil
1 small bottle of Amla oil
3 boxes of Amla powder
1 bottle of Mahabhringraj oil
1 bottle of Navratna oil
2 boxes of Shikakai powder

I really don't know what to do with the Mahabhringraj oil and the Navratna oil but I don't care...I just went CRAZY!

I was especially excited about my shikakai bars:grin:

It's ON y'all!

...and I thought I was going to have an o@gasm in the shower!

I had been kinda keeping my hair oiled up switching back and forth between Amla and Vatika and my scalp was beginning to itch so I grabbed this little two dollar soap and suds it in my hands then applied it to my hair and I couldn't believe how silky it felt. It was like I wasn't washing my hair at all but giving it some type of treatment. I got real verbal in the shower. I was breathing all hard like I was about to hyperventilate and kept repeating "OH MY GOD!" Then I said OUTLOUD "The girls were right about these Indian shampoo bars!" :blush:

So I lathered up like three times because I just couldn't get enough of it! I swear I still can't believe it! After I finally rinsed I followed with some Miss Keys and left that in for a few minutes while I finished my shower and rinsed. Then I rollerset and I just...I just...am in SHOCK!

If the Shikakai bar is anything like this (the lady at the shop did say that the bar I bought had some Shikakai in it but it's not listed on the box) I am ordering a bunch of them STAT!:user:

I don't think I'll ever use regular poo again!
Forget regular poo. after using shikakai bar , I will never use poo again. It's just a different feeling altogether !

I went to the Indian store this evening in search of this soap. Couldn't find this post, so I couldn't ask for it by name. Either way, they didnlt have it.

I found another shampoo bar mixed with amla and shikaki. Thought this was perfect, so I purchased it for $.98.

Trie it tonight. was a little leary, for fear that it might be drying. washed my hands with it first. not too drying at all.

Showered, lathered and used on my hair. Ok... I can't believe how soft my hair feels.

all this has shown me just how drying shampoo is on my already dry hair. I don't think I will ever use regular shampoo again.

oh, been ayurvedic for a little more than a month. used regular shampoo this past Monday and my hair was all knotted and dry. it looked and felt terrible!

I bought a bar of Shikakai soap by Nirmal
I haven't used it cause I like the scrithy feeling.and I'm worried that it night tangle my hair all up
Glad the Aritha soap is working for you!

I currently use Aritha powder, but after hearing about your experience with the bars, I want to run back to my Indian store and see if they've got what you got :grin:. But I agree. Indian products rule! And they are super cheap sometimes. I can't wait for my Brahmi powder to arrive in the mail.

There's an Indian store right next to my job and I just went and bought the Shikakai Soap bar for......$1.00. The man even gave me a 2008 calendar as a gift since I always go in there. They have EVERYTHING for dirt cheap. I'm going to try this sometime next week since I'm getting a touch-up this weekend and I hope I get that "orgasmic" feeling too :lachen:

I work in Manhattan and I have been looking for an Indian store to buy my ayurvedic products. Can you please give me the address?

Last edited:
I washed with it last night and I will never go back to regular shampoo. :grin: This stuff was amazing! My hair was so curly and easy to detangle after using it I was tempted not to use a conditioner...but I did, cause I love my moisture:lick:

I washed with it last night and I will never go back to regular shampoo. :grin: This stuff was amazing! My hair was so curly and easy to detangle after using it I was tempted not to use a conditioner...but I did, cause I love my moisture:lick:

Which bar did you use and what brand?

Here is a review from an indian woman on this soap

The days of old ladies in the most traditional houses of South India running behind girl children with a cup full of coconut / castor oil to give them an oil hair massage followed by a head bath, still
remains evergreen in my fond memories.

It was an uncomplainable faith that application of Oil before having a hair wash with Shikakai would result in long hair for the girls. My mom was one such strong believer. We had a wonderful servant maid at home whose only work was to massage coconut oil into my scalp and give me a hair wash with Shikakai, which procedure used to take almost an hour?s time. She used to do this to me twice a week.

I was already aficionado of short & cute hair style but due to this twice-a-week (longest) procedure of my mom, I (whether I liked it or not) possessed very thick and long black hair just like the other South Indian Brahmin girls. My school teachers & my classmates really used to envy my long black shining hair.

Shikakai Soap

For persons like me who really hated the longest procedure of taking oil bath with Shikakai powder, the Shikakai Soap was a real God-Sent (Godrej sent ?.?) Boon . The Red colour Shikakai Soap is basically a herbal soap which is used to wash the hair.

My first experience of using this soap is still very memorable to me. One day when I was in my class X, my mom had applied too much of oil in my hair. Although it really helped to keep my hair properly set throughout my day at school, the next day I got a very sticky feeling and even my light scratching it left dirt particles into my nails. I am generally a Cleanliness-Freak and really wanted to get rid of this irritating feeling. One of my teachers recommended Shikakai Soap to me and she also assured me that it would really help keeping my long hair intact.

Without the knowledge of my mom, I bought this Shikakai Soap and had a head bath. Wow?.. to my surprise I could find that the moisture of my hair was retained but the sticky feeling had completely gone.

Some of the wonderful properties of the Shikakai Soap are :

?It is very effective in removing oil and dirt from the hair
?Pure herbal soap and so no fear of hair-fall
?It aids hair-growth to a surprisingly great level
?Prevents the scalp from getting dried up
?Ethno-Botanical surveys have proven its medicinal properties
?It doesn?t have that unpleasant stinking smell of the natural shikakai powder
?It?s Lather

Conclusion :

I am no more into those ancient procedures of Oil + Natural Shikakai Powder baths, I mostly use only Shampoos to have my hair-wash (due to my tight work schedules) I do continue to use the Godrej Shikakai Soap quite frequently. For the long & black hair lovers, I would strongly recommend Shikakai Soap which I am sure while retaining the essential moistures of the scalp & prevents hair fall, would give the best expected results.

Do use the Soap for a long & thick hair and provide me with your feedbacks on the Soap.

Does anyone know where I can find this stuff in MD/DC/VA? I called a herbs store last night and the woman said she had it, and when I got there she handed me a mushroom!:ohwell:

My Brand (Swastik in the red packaging) doesn't have any ingredients. Do any of the other brands have ingredients written on the package? I don't like the fact that I can't tell what's in it.

My Brand (Swastik in the red packaging) doesn't have any ingredients. Do any of the other brands have ingredients written on the package? I don't like the fact that I can't tell what's in it.

I agree. I worry about added mineral oil/petroleum and all the added FD&C colors. That's why I don't use a lot of the oils. Why is all that stuff added to natural herbs????:perplexed

Does anyone know where I can find this stuff in MD/DC/VA? I called a herbs store last night and the woman said she had it, and when I got there she handed me a mushroom!:ohwell:

:lachen:Find an Indian grocery store...I know there have to be tons in your area. My friend lives in B-More and she said there are like 5 on one street in Silver Springs.

I agree. I worry about added mineral oil/petroleum and all the added FD&C colors. That's why I don't use a lot of the oils. Why is all that stuff added to natural herbs????:perplexed

If it has petroleum / min oil then I won't use it..

They add it because it is CHEAP.

NYcutiepie,

Can you put the address on the board? If not, please PM me the address. Thanks.

The name of the store is Butala Emporium and they're located on 28th Street Between Park Ave. and Lexington Ave. They are closer to Park Ave. I just Google'd the name and it seems like there are other locations too (i.e., Jackson Heights, Queens).

Back