Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

This maybe a dumb question but how do u ladies remove all shed hair? Especially those of you who only finger comb?

I try to remove a lot of shed hair while I am taking down my twists by just sliding the hair between my thumb and index finger. Then I put my hair into 4 sections and rinse my hair in the shower. I let the water run through each section then I take both hands and pull the hair through each section. That gets most of it out. Then I finger detangle in the shower to get the rest.

I don't get all of the shed hairs out when I do this but I get out enough to prevent my hair from tangling. I remove the rest while applying shampoo or conditioner.

faithVA said:
I try to remove a lot of shed hair while I am taking down my twists by just sliding the hair between my thumb and index finger. Then I put my hair into 4 sections and rinse my hair in the shower. I let the water run through each section then I take both hands and pull the hair through each section. That gets most of it out. Then I finger detangle in the shower to get the rest.

I don't get all of the shed hairs out when I do this but I get out enough to prevent my hair from tangling. I remove the rest while applying shampoo or conditioner.

Thanks for the response! I will try that out tonight

Seems like our hair (4a/b) does better when its left alone. I'm finally coming to this conclusion after many years on this board. As of last month I stopped going to the salon. My hair has just about split all the way up the shaft and I have no one thing to blame it on. Now I'm going back to what has worked for me. I'm wigging in for the next 2 yrs. Simple wash, dc, and flat twists with a hair butter. Id love to experiment with hair butters, but I'm over paying for shipping costs. So, keeping it simple with my wig and nuturing my hair for the next 2 yrs. I don't ever want to go back to heavy heat styling again.

Oh gosh. How can u guys commit to a reggie for two years. I can barely commit for a month. Lol

transitioning?
Girl, look in the pics in post #630. :look:

I want that..... NOW!!! :lol:

1. The long-term goal (having long hair ASAP) is what keeps me going.

2. If I want big hair like that, I personally have to hide my hair for some time.

3. I do wear my hair out at least once a month or two for a couple of days then put it back up.

4. I think it helps that I wear twist extensions also, and I can style those in a variety of ways to keep from getting bored.

5. Seeing progress after hiding my hair also keeps me going. :yep: HTH.

Anyone doing mini or micro twists on 4B/C hair? I'm thinking about doing them on my niece but I don't want her ends to lock up. Pics too if you have them.

@manter26-- I love mini twists. I just started playing w/ them this past summer, and plan on doing them again this summer.

I had no damage.

Sorry for the huge pics :look:

Last Summer::

P1050408.jpg

sept19.jpg

P1050393.jpg

P1050437.jpg

P1050482.jpg

P1050403.jpg

:yay: Those are beautiful yaya24 !!! Now I have to get the glue out of my niece's hair :look: and see if she'll sit still for these.

How long do you keep them in for?

@manter26-- THANKS! :grin:

If I remember correctly, I would keep them in for 2-3 weeks.
During that time I would cowash maybe 1x week and save the shampoo and DC for when I took them down.

Still hoping to be super long. Or at least "long" sometime soon. Long for me is APL, which is where I hope to be when I do my length check in a month. Super excited and nervous. APL is THE length for me. Thats when my hair will be undeniably longer than its ever been and when I will feel like I have long hair (unless I develop hair anorexia)

I keep seeing split ends. I've come to the conclusion that I def need to trim more. I think I'm going to get my hair straightened every 3 months to get my ends clipped. No matter how careful I am, my ends still split if I go to long. For the most part they are at the very ends so not going up my hair shaft.

I just have to find someone up here I trust to straighten my hair or either try to schedule my visits home near that schedule. Everytime I try to do it myself, it ends up doing more harm that good, so thats out the question.

My hair without any products in it just after a wash. Figured I'd share.
Did a pretreatment with coconut oil, almond oil, and some Suave Natural Coconut conditioner the night before. Shampooed with Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo and conditioned a mixture of conditioner because I'm trying to get rid of stuff - CurlySexyHair conditioner, Roux porosity control, and the last of my Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner. I had not detangled my hair at all yet when I took these pictures so this is my unaltered hair pattern.
I love how shiny it is even without the help of oils. I really thought my hair only had sheen because of that but looks like it finally has a healthy sheen of its own. :o

Last edited:
I'm still hoping to join the army. :) I hope to be full MBL by the fall; I'm going to continue to protective style and maintain my moisture/protein balance.

This thread doesn't get much love, so bumping it up.

I would love to be part of this army. Just have to get my hair to cooperate.

Here is some shrinkage inspiration. Seriously, I don't think I ever need to cut my hair. I can simply add water and BAM...a 10 inch hair cut:lachen:

March 2012-- Wash n' Go (1st one in years)

washngo.jpg

April 2012 (bantu knot out on blown out hair)

photo3-vi.jpg

Here is some shrinkage inspiration. Seriously, I don't think I ever need to cut my hair. I can simply add water and BAM...a 10 inch hair cut:lachen:

March 2012-- Wash n' Go (1st one in years)

washngo.jpg

April 2012 (bantu knot out on blown out hair)

photo3-vi.jpg

LovelyNaps26 :shocked: I think that is the prettiest WNG on 4 b hair i've ever seen. I wonder if I could do that on my daughters hair. How did you do that? Names of products and technique too....please and thank you :look:

My bottom layers are at APL, but I want FULL APL!!
My sides are abysmal, and they grow so slow :/
I might trim the bottom layers and wait for the top and sides to catch up.
Or should I wait till my bottom layers reach my goal length and then trim them there? :/
Hmm, I will decide after I take out my Senegalese Twists.

Honi

In full disclosure i'm a 4a/4b mix. 4b in the back half and 4a in some pockets of the front and middle...just in case it makes any difference.

here's a texture shot w/ product....
DSCN0642-vi.jpg

i used a product called Signature Textures sebum protection in jamaican black castor oil. They sent me a sample to review, which is how I even heard of it. i had to apply the product in very small sections. the instructions mention a fine tooth comb but didn't do all that:look:. I have NEVER had a wash n go look like this and i've been natural for 7 1/2 years.

here's their tutorial on 4b hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl-ubRs5s1Q

here's my product review if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjDJksHYyI

LovelyNaps26 No fair!!! :cry2: :drool: HoniB Your baby's hair!!! :cry2: :drool:

(I'm just leaking from all over my face lol)

Thanks NappyNelle! It is a work in progress and I still struggle. Her hair gives me major attitude at times :lol:

Honi

In full disclosure i'm a 4a/4b mix. 4b in the back half and 4a in some pockets of the front and middle...just in case it makes any difference.

DSCN0642-vi.jpg

i used a product called Signature Textures sebum protection in jamaican black castor oil. They sent me a sample to review, which is how I even heard of it. i had to apply the product in very small sections. the instructions mention a fine tooth comb but didn't do all that:look:. I have NEVER had a wash n go look like this and i've been natural for 7 1/2 years.

here's my product review if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjDJksHYyI

LovelyNaps26. That texture shot is awesome and yes I can see the difference but I don't think it will matter. Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. :yep:

This was beautiful ladies, I am so looking forward to my hair growing. I put in some kinky twists last month. They still look pretty good with no matting. So I can stay in a little longer.
I am so looking forward to washing my hair!!!

My bottom layers are at APL, but I want FULL APL!!
My sides are abysmal, and they grow so slow :/
I might trim the bottom layers and wait for the top and sides to catch up.
Or should I wait till my bottom layers reach my goal length and then trim them there? :/
Hmm, I will decide after I take out my Senegalese Twists.

I would just let your hair keep growing in its current pattern until the bottom layer is where you want it to be. The back of my hair grows the fastest, followed by the sides, with the very front (bangs/ fringe area) bringing up the rear. My bangs/ fringe are APL, the sides are MBL, and the back is WSL. It's like having natural layers. If I were to keep trimming my hair just to match the shortest layer, I'd never make any real progress.

hey...been a while since ive been in this awesome thread. i did cut my hair in april...about 2ish inches (didnt measure). but it seems like it's growing back and retaining quite well.

Meritamen said:
My hair without any products in it just after a wash. Figured I'd share.
Did a pretreatment with coconut oil, almond oil, and some Suave Natural Coconut conditioner the night before. Shampooed with Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo and conditioned a mixture of conditioner because I'm trying to get rid of stuff - CurlySexyHair conditioner, Roux porosity control, and the last of my Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner. I had not detangled my hair at all yet when I took these pictures so this is my unaltered hair pattern.
I love how shiny it is even without the help of oils. I really thought my hair only had sheen because of that but looks like it finally has a healthy sheen of its own. :o

This is how my hair looks when wet!

Sent from my iPhone 4s

@Honi

DSCN0642-vi.jpg

LovelyNaps26 Is this just a gel?

Back