Nosey People Asking About Your Relationship/Giving Advice?

LivingDol1

How do you get nosey people to stop asking about your personal life or giving unsolicited advice? Sounds simple, I know.... But besides never volunteering info about your personal life, how else can you get people to back off without sounding rude and defensive?

In my case, my 2 of my colleagues/casual friends were instrumental in encouraging me to ask out my now boyfriend. But now i'd like for them to back off bc things are great and I like to keep the details to myself. I don't need anyone to walk me through my relationship through marriage. It's silly and I never ask for their advice. Thoughts?

Very easily! I just tell them that I don't want to discuss it and that it is nothing personal towards them. I smile and walk away. And if I cannot walk away, I will quickly bring up another topic.

Yeah, it would annoy me to feel like someone was walking me through my relationship. :(

How do you get nosey people to stop asking about your personal life or giving unsolicited advice? Sounds simple, I know.... But besides never volunteering info about your personal life, how else can you get people to back off without sounding rude and defensive?

In my case, my 2 of my colleagues/casual friends were instrumental in encouraging me to ask out my now boyfriend. But now i'd like for them to back off bc things are great and I like to keep the details to myself. I don't need anyone to walk me through my relationship through marriage. It's silly and I never ask for their advice. Thoughts?

I just don't talk about it. Just politely change the subject.

Not offering information is a good first step, but if they keep probing, never feel compelled to answer someone's questions. There's nothing "rude" or "defensive" about flat out telling a person that you don't talk about your relationship (including taking advice and discussing details) with anyone other than your SO.

honestly, I'm a bit more brash (as I've gotten older) I just tell them that my relationship is not up for discussion. And I hope I don't have to repeat myself in the future. Thank you....

I would always say "things are good" or "we're happy" and leave it at that. No matter what they ask, I would give the same canned response. Once they see you won't offer any more specifics, they'll eventually get the hint.

I would always say "things are good" or "we're happy" and leave it at that. No matter what they ask, I would give the same canned response. Once they see you won't offer any more specifics, they'll eventually get the hint.

This is exactly what I do. You explained it better. :lol:

Oh I already told a couple friends and family members (including my Mom LOL)... Don't ask me about my love life. If I volunteer information, fine... but don't ask me anything.

And when I do offer information, the guys I'm dating never get names. When I'm in a relationship... then he gets a name... maybe... when I feel like it lol.

...Because it's the absolute WORSE when it doesn't work out with someone you're dating... and you move on... but a friend or family member constantly brings up his name for like a year afterwards. "Whatever happened to so & so? When was the last time you spoke to so & so? Do you think you and so & so will get back together? Do you think so & so is dating someone else? OMG! What would you do if you ran into so & so?"

Meanwhile you dated the guy all of 3 weeks!! LOL :lol:

I can't stand it!!

Last edited:

I never understand why some people feel the need or even have the audacity to do this.... :perplexed

Oh I already told a couple friends and family members (including my Mom LOL)... Don't ask me about my love life. If I volunteer information, fine... but don't ask me anything.

And when I do offer information, the guys I'm dating never get names. When I'm in a relationship... then he gets a name... maybe... when I feel like it lol.

...Because it's the absolute WORSE when it doesn't work out with someone you're dating... and you move on... but a friend or family member constantly brings up his name for like a year afterwards. "Whatever happened to so & so? When was the last time you spoke to so & so? Do you think you and so & so will get back together? Do you think so & so is dating someone else? OMG! What would you do if you ran into so & so?"

Meanwhile you dated the guy all of 3 weeks!! LOL :lol:

I can't stand it!!

THIS! I have family members asking me like 4 years later. My sister even went as far as saying: "hmm, I wonder how X is doing? He's probably married with kids right now....Can you even imagine X with kids?...."

I'm like wtf? Who says that? Who wants to hear about that?

im learning that mistake at work now next time im going to flat out say i do not want to talk about my private life just keep it business related

Sounds like they don't realize that you have control now. To be fair, they may not realize they're prying. Be upfront.

Back