Non Diamond Engagement Ring

@LaBelleLL[/USER] I'm only considering peach/light pink/lavender sapphires and spinels because they are durable enough for daily wear. Here are some of the rings that I have found on etsy/pinterest, although I'm pretty positive I'm going to buy the gemstone first because I want a pretty big gemstone and a quality setting.
eb0d73dcf79710e764e601a376432a25.jpg e439140e0d142b81e4d2edfd59d050ea.jpg a623d6be187fe92c72967e29b6977cb7.jpg 827365776d6be5495c5b5cd2f6100648.jpg

[ATTACH=full]361123[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361125[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361127[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361129[/ATTACH]

These are all sapphires, but I come across some stunning and affordable emeralds. Sorry for the redundant color scheme lol I'll post spinels at another time.

Attachments

• 6e64965dc2a20553029f4a14921b717c.jpg
    6e64965dc2a20553029f4a14921b717c.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 446
  • 654cc93d82149a98adf25bfd4804c5ee.jpg
    654cc93d82149a98adf25bfd4804c5ee.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 4092e2d994a478b706c87fa253999c66.jpg
    4092e2d994a478b706c87fa253999c66.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 984792be01cfe37d0c08f9a4b6049fbd.jpg
    984792be01cfe37d0c08f9a4b6049fbd.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 454
Where did you come across affordable gems/emergeds?
@LaBelleLL[/USER] I'm only considering peach/light pink/lavender sapphires and spinels because they are durable enough for daily wear. Here are some of the rings that I have found on etsy/pinterest, although I'm pretty positive I'm going to buy the gemstone first because I want a pretty big gemstone and a quality setting.
View attachment 361137 View attachment 361135 View attachment 361133 View attachment 361131

[ATTACH=full]361123[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361125[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361127[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]361129[/ATTACH]

These are all sapphires, but I come across some stunning and affordable emeralds. Sorry for the redundant color scheme lol I'll post spinels at another time.

View attachment 361137 View attachment 361135 View attachment 361133 View attachment 361131

You have similar taste to my sister but her boyfriend doesn't want to buy online...

You have similar taste to my sister but her boyfriend doesn't want to buy online...

With good reason tbh. A lot of the etsy settings are from china now and very cheap. Everything used to be handmade on etsy, but they've loosened their rules. I use them as models because the longterm reviews of their ring settings aren't that great. I bought a cubic zirconia model of the ring I want and handed it over to SO. I will print out pictures and notes for him and put it in an envelope for when the day comes. This ring search is officially out of my hands :toocool:

With good reason tbh. A lot of the etsy settings are from china now and very cheap. Everything used to be handmade on etsy, but they've loosened their rules. I use them as models because the longterm reviews of their ring settings aren't that great. I bought a cubic zirconia model of the ring I want and handed it over to SO. I will print out pictures and notes for him and put it in an envelope for when the day comes. This ring search is officially out of my hands :toocool:
I sent him a link to her Pinterest board, the name of a jeweler in Austin told him good lock, lol

I sent him a link to her Pinterest board, the name of a jeweler in Austin told him good lock, lol

Lol! That's the way to go though. I've been trying to find the gemstone first then go to the jeweler but that ish has been so stressful. I finally caved and told my SO to handle it. I want a fairly large stone though (10x8mm), and that size is difficult to find. Otherwise, you could get a pretty good steal on a ring if you buy the gem first then have it set.

ladies some of your rings that you describe sound so beautiful and elegant. can you post pics?
here is a pic of mine. center is pink sapphire, the rest is diamond
Picture7-1.png

I've always really liked colored stones. I used to have kind of a thing for them, and would read about them and stare at them online and even collect small cheap pieces. I used to know more than I do now. I just forgot a lot.

I wish Arcadian were here because she knows a lot more about this than I do. But I think what I'm about to say is true. You'll want to keep in mind that many colored gemstones (incl colored diamonds) may have their color fade over time. I know they do all sorts of treatments to stones to get them prettier, and for colored stones this includes heating them or something like that to intensify their color. I feel like this is most severe for topaz and aquamarine, but that is my poorly educated guess. I think they do it for most colored stones. I can't tell if mine has faded a little, maybe. I've had it for 4 years. I'm also not sure if you can have your stone treated periodically in the same way it originally was to get its color back. Let me ask the internet right quick ...
Here's a page, you can see on it they talk about the heat treatment of corundums (both sapphires and rubies are corundum; when it is red it's called 'ruby', other colors are called 'sapphire')
http://www.gemologyonline.com/treatment.html
well, i gotta run and couldn't find online if you can have it treated again to get the color back. maybe someone else will search more

Last edited:
Hi all,

My bf and I will be getting engaged soon. All this time i have been sending him pics of diamond engagement rings and yesterday I decided that I want a different gem.

I'd love to find a stone that is affordable right now but will increase in value over time.

I'd love to hear your thought/ideas/suggestions.

I remember someone on the board that is lives gemstones and is very knowledgeable about them. Please tag her. :)
Rubies or emeralds are always a good option and they hold their value. They are regarded as better than a diamond in many Asian and east asian cultures.

How do you use this site?
pbi: use the tabs like the resources, knowledge and the forums. Arcadian is actually on there and active last time i checked if you want to PM her with questions. The site is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to diamonds. Sorry there's nothing better than a diamond. After you get your diamond, then get an upgrade or birth stone or whatever else :lol:

You can get a really good deal. No reason or need to splurge or waste money on a huge stone. Just do your research and be patient.

Dropping into say, he popped the question last week with a beautiful rose gold tanzanite and diamond ring.

And I cried myself to sleep because I think I already cracked the da*n stone.

I keep trying to upload a pic but I'm getting an error message.
Congrats! Oh no how did the stone crack?

I wanted a pink morganite because I love pink(as you may have guessed ) but my fiancée wouldn’t hear of it and bought me my favorite cut of diamond (marquise) instead. It’s a beautiful ring and I do love it however, I feel he put pressure on himself because he wanted to do right by me with a nice diamond and felt that he was being cheap with the morganite when I really did want it!

I was at brunch and it hit the wood table.

I went to my jeweler (I had to get something cause it's to big) and a lady on staff there said it was a bubble. But it's not. It wasn't there on Thursday or Friday.

I feel sooooo bad.
Which stone cracked? I know its probably not insured yet but see if the jeweler can exchange it for you. I know it would be hard for you to ignore it if its not replaced.

Which stone cracked? I know its probably not insured yet but see if the jeweler can exchange it for you. I know it would be hard for you to ignore it if its not replaced.

It's all I see then I look at it. Like my eyes zone I'm right on the crack. :(

On Monday I'm gonna call the company he bought it from. It's an online store but they have a LA warehouse so maybe they will let me come in. If not I'll see if my jeweler can refinish it.

I hope they can resolve it also.

Congratulations! I'm so sorry about your ring. :sad: I know you want it repaired, by I think you should consider replacing the stone. The description of your crack doesn't sound like it will be easy to fix; being inside the stone, below the surface. I also think having a cracked and repaired stone will make it prone to further damage in the future. Probably best to start fresh.

Also, you might want to re-assess whether or not having a Tanzanite e-ring is right for you/your lifestyle. If you can just crack it doing something as low impact as having brunch, it may not be e-ring suitable. It's certainly not going to last a lifetime. Maybe see if you can find a similarly colored sapphire, topaz, or spinel?

Back