Non Diamond Engagement Ring

We are so stuck on the Diamond that we fail to see there are stones more valuable than the diamond even uncut these stones are more valuable. I was watching a show on Emerald and ruby mining.

Well I have my thoughts on the industry and how other countries rape African Countries like Zambia and Mozambique.
They asians are major culprits

White topaz and white sapphires will give you the same look, presuming you don't want a colored stone.

People always claim they will upgrade later but unless you have a tiny diamond or you just never liked your ring, the likelihood up upgrading in a couple of years is pretty low once you have other priorities (mortgage/kids/college funds). Not to mention, it will have sentimental value such that you may not be comfortable upgrading. I've been researching changing out my custom wedding band this year to more closely match my engagement ring (traditional diamond, my birthstone). Our jeweler who made our matching bands retired so I had to find someone else to design it. I want to recycle the ring but it's not possible so that has me re-thinking the entire idea.

This ring is all white sapphires:
enhanced-2333-1438626210-5.jpg

$826
https://www.etsy.com/listing/194423...ement-ring-14k-white?ref=shop_home_active_175

il_570xN.875339502_abol.jpg

$640
https://www.etsy.com/listing/257682153/halo-diamond-white-sapphire-engagement?ref=shop_home_active_5

il_570xN.892047836_54pf.jpg

$797
https://www.etsy.com/listing/207005...agement-ring-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_191

il_570xN.874932452_nzbu.jpg

$950
https://www.etsy.com/listing/257589...e-sapphire-engagement?ref=shop_home_active_80

White Topaz and White Sapphire won't truly give you the same look as diamonds because the refraction of those gems are so much lower than that of the diamonds. Some have regretted getting the white sapphire because when it's dirty, it looks like a piece of glass. Sapphire's and Topaz's are really only special for their beautiful colors. The white variety of those stones are not at all interesting.

@LovelyLouboutin - congratulations :). Get what you want if you don't want a diamond don't get one and no need for you to explain to anyone why you don't want one. Your an adult and don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Please don't let anyone talk you into getting something you don't want especially on here. Please don't allow folks to tell you what you need and should do either. Your priority is purchasing a home and other things. Congratulations again :).

I don't need a diamond. Whatever engagement ring I want needs to be BIG, PRETTY and DURABLE! If my man can afford a 3 carot diamond, I'd rather he buy a 3 carot moissanite and put those extra 1000's toward our wedding or honeymoon. :yep:

Go for it OP! I've been looking at Moissanite rings and they're gorgeous. Just make sure you get "Forever Brilliant" Moissanite which is the clearest and sparkliest. Lots of pretty options on overstock.com

Aquamarine rings are gorgeous too, especially emerald cut. If you're into color.

I think the color stones are much prettier as well. And I definitely agree with you in not wasting money on a ring. I'd prefer to go on a nice honeymoon instead. I think the rose gold ring someone posted up thread was pretty! Good look in your search and congrats. I have nothing constructive to add lol.

I'd be cool with just a gold band, I don't really care lol, I'm LE though.

@LovelyLouboutin - congratulations :). Get what you want if you don't want a diamond don't get one and no need for you to explain to anyone why you don't want one. You're an adult and don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Please don't let anyone talk you into getting something you don't want especially on here. Please don't allow folks to tell you what you need and should do either. Your priority is purchasing a home and other things. Congratulations again :).

Amen!
@LovelyLouboutin your priorities make a lot of sense;
Investing in a home trumps investing in a stone
Let the "unicorns" get diamonds first and foremost
Folks be getting some huge low quality look-a-like glass/cubic zirconia diamonds
Because oh em gee how can they not get a diamond!!!
You do you
Get yours when you feel ready
Then you can take your time and get you a colorless diamond with almost flawless clarity that is well worth it

Dare to be different and soar.

I decided to be different. I got an aquamarine with diamonds on the side rose gold engagement ring and rose gold wedding band. I love the pop of blue!/color. My ring set doesn't look like anyone else I ever see in my public. I stay getting compliments on my rings. All my married friends look the same with the boring platinum white diamond look. Do you girl!

I love aquamarine as an alternative (also my birthstone, so I'm biased). We went the vintage route, but I would have gone the "non-diamond" route if I'd been shopping for new. And now we wear cheapie wedding bands most of the time anyway.

I decided to be different. I got an aquamarine with diamonds on the side rose gold engagement ring and rose gold wedding band. I love the pop of blue!/color. My ring set doesn't look like anyone else I ever see in my public. I stay getting compliments on my rings. All my married friends look the same with the boring platinum white diamond look. Do you girl!

How long have you had your aquamarine rings? They are gorgeous, but I know they're softer stones.

I love that you're setting priorities for your family. Do you OP. You won't likely get the increase in value, but you'll have something that holds its value of you decide on an alternative stone that's not man made.

Whatever the case, congratulations!!!

My dream and my birthstone. I'd like an antique rose gold engagement ring with an emerald stone.
Yaaasss! :cheers:

I've been dreaming of an antique emerald engagement ring since I first considered it. 1, I like old stuff, 2, emerald is my birthstone and it's all about me. :look: SO thinks I'm playing, but I'm dead ass. I have quite a few diamonds from him and tbh, I have to scrape up enthusiasm for them cuz internally, I'm like, 'hmm. :look:' Cost is not my major concern but yay if it's cheaper, that's just icing on the cake. I prefer to invest my money, not wear it.

Yaaasss! :cheers:

I've been dreaming of an antique emerald engagement ring since I first considered it. 1, I like old stuff, 2, emerald is my birthstone and it's all about me. :look: SO thinks I'm playing, but I'm dead ass. I have quite a few diamonds from him and tbh, I have to scrape up enthusiasm for them cuz internally, I'm like, 'hmm. :look:' Cost is not my major concern but yay if it's cheaper, that's just icing on the cake. I prefer to invest my money, not wear it.
Yeah I love antique jewelry and I'm into small and simple. A large jazzed out diamond would not look right paired with the dainty jewelry I usually wear. Plus with my line of work it's guaranteed that I'll lose it or it would get damaged. Most nurses I work with do not wear their wedding rings at work because it rips through the gloves. So for that reason I'd prefer that it not cost an arm and a leg because I will rarely wear it anyway.

You can definitely get a nice diamond for less than 15K. I agree with @Theresamonet . Make sure you look at them in person and make sure you look up how durable these non-diamonds are. Way back, "to be different" I wanted a yellow diamond, but after seeing them in person, I was like I'm good, give me ol' traditional. I have a great quality cushion cut diamond with a platinum band. My coworker asked if I shine it every day, I said no, that's just how it sparkles. lol. Set your budget for what you like and go from there and compare and contrast the different stones you can get. Or just get a clutch wedding band like an eternity band with round diamonds. That goes for like 2K.

That's thing! Being different. It's unique and meaningful!

Back