No Heat Challenge...

dreamgurl

I have been lurking around for a minute and noticed some have taken the no heat challenge. Could someone explain this method to me and if you have a relaxer, how do you get your hair to come out really straight and bouncy in between chemical services without using a flat iron? I may consider jumping on this bandwagon if the method will work for my hair. TIA

I did not take the officially sign up for the challenge /images/graemlins/whyme.gif because at that point I was still a heat addict. But because of LHCF I am now NO HEAT FOR LIFE!! When I tell people that I no longer use heat, they do not believe me, cause my relaxed hair [4a/4b] looks so straight.

For me this is the formula: creamy leave in conditioner + magnetic rollers. once my hair has been pooed and conditioned (moisture, moisture), I towel dry then section by section add headdress + salerm 21 place it in magnetic rollers. in the morning the hair is straight and soft. I moisturize daily with mango butter + African Pride Braid Sheen + sometimes coconut oil. If I am wearing a ponytail (I put rollers at the end until I leave the house) or put rollers back in at night.

No Heat is the best thing that ever happened to my hair. This is after 2 years of trying to air dry with terrible results: breakage, dryness. The culprit for me was liquid leave ins. Creamy leave ins straigten my hair in combo with the magnetic rollers.

when it comes to deep conditioning, i stopped sitting under the dryer. i just leave the conditioner in for at least 1 hour sometime 2 with a plastic cap. I noticed the cap gets steamy within 2 minutes of me putting it on, so i realize my body heat will work fine.

I have been the no heat thing on my own. I can definitely tell a difference in my hairs texture. I guess cause it's not burned. I never realized that curling/straightening my hair (which would never STAY curled) was a waste of time and was thinning my ends. In between chemical services I grease my scalp and oil my hair (with not too many products). Basically to give it some moisture. Then I'll wrap it while I'm at home throughout the day or at night I'll wrap it and put some satin rollers at the top. That way, it smoothes my frizzies, straightens my hair but still gives it some bounce because I wrapped it. Kinda like wrapping it around a really large hair roller (only it's my head) lol.

I am seven weeks post relaxer. I kinda need a relaxer and I kinda don't. I found LHCF AFTER I got my relaxer and have learned a lot. I am also trying to stretch my relaxer out and boyyyyyy I am tempted to flat iron my hair or throw a straightening comb up in it! The throwback kind that you heat up on the stove and it sizzles and you use a wet washcloth to cool it off. Yea....

One thing I learned is LESS is MORE.

Less heat.
Less Product.
Are two things I'm commited to when it comes to my hair!

I hope this helps and sorry its so long.

I think I'm on the No-Heat Challenge, I only use heat when I get a touch-up (my stylist will curl/flip my hair with a CHI).. and thats about once every 2.5 months. In between touch ups I do rollersets/wraps to keep my hair sleek and bouncy. I agree w/ shellzfoshizzle, less IS more.

1. I airdry my hair in a rollerset (I sometimes use the hooded dryer on low heat)

OR

2. I let it airdry while my hair is down and occasionally comb through it. Then I will wrap it when it is about 75% dry.

I wonder how people can do without heat until I actually tried it. At first, I tried airdrying in a bun which didnt quite work for me. My hair was better off dry before I put it in a bun. I tried airdrying in a ponytail as well, which was okay, except my ends would look frizzy. So the above methods I mentioned have worked for me in this no heat challenge. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've been heat-free for about seven months now and I love it. I shampoo with Creme of Nature or Loreal Mega Moisture and later on I add conditioner, Creme of Nature's Nourishing COndtioner or Mizani Moisturefuze. After rinsing and air-drying (about 65% dry) I add a leave-in conditioners to my ends. I like Infusium (I mix this with a little water because using it alone gets my ends really hard) or another great leave-in is such as Joico Reconstruct and for my roots to lay even flater I use Mango Elsta QP mixed with a little S-Curl Moistuzing Leave-in.

Believe me this works and I never use heating appliances. The only one I use is a hooded dryer with LeKeir mixed with honey on my hair before I poo. My roots really like this! stuff

I'm not officially on the no heat challenge. I just realized heat gives me split ends and makes my hair drier. So I haven't used it in almost 4 months and don't plan on it again. I either airdry then I roll it on hot rollers or hype foam rollers or if I can handle 1-2 hours under the drier I set it. Usually I just airdry and leave it alone.

It mystified me when I first came here too, but now it's just a way of life. I can't imagine nor do I find time to deal w/heat. I remember doing my hair for 3 hours every week before /images/graemlins/nono.gif. No more. My airdry styles are so cute and the way I'd always envisioned my hair being. So I'm happy. I went for 7 mos w/no heat and I swear it's like I have a new head of hair. No splits, no broken pieces when I stroke it, it's strong, supple and has wonderful lustre. I can't wait until I can cut off about 7" of the old stuff that was heat exposed. I only use the Chi iron now for dusting my ends every 8-10 weeks and only after it's already been rollerset so the heat exposure is minimal. Other wise its no heat (air dry) or indirect heat (bonnet dryer on low).

If you are relaxed you have a serious advantage here. You don't need the heat really to rollerset. If you use the largest rollers that wrap your hair around 1 1/2 times you'll have a bend in your hair or hair that just hangs straight. I just bought a bonnet dryer so I'm all excited about it. I use it on medium for 15 mins, then low the rest of the way. And since I don't use setting lotion my hair just comes out straight, but big since I use low and am texturized, not fully relaxed. But then I wrap it and it's smoothes right out. If you wrap (and can wrap well, unlike me) and then sit for another 30 mins you get bouncy hair that's straight and looks like a wrap.

There are other methods, like the ponytail method I think Lindy uses and ArmyQT. They secure the ends to the opposing side of the head and results in str8 hair as well. And it doesn't require heat either.

~SC

SC, I used to do that...clipping the hair on the opposite side of the head to get it straight but afterwards I could not get rid of the part down the middle where I split the hair into two...lol. It was a great way though.

I don't use heat regulary, however if i want to get my hair pretty straight i'd have to use heat, because i'm texturized, primarily i prefer wearing curly hair. but i will straighten with heat twice a year.

nope, it'll just be really puffy, and i don't like that kind of half straight look. i still have a lot my my natural texture, i can still wear a huge thick coily afro. if i wear it straight i want it really straight, however i rarely wear straight styles, only when i have trims.

[ QUOTE ]
My airdry styles are so cute and the way I'd always envisioned my hair being. So I'm happy. I went for 7 mos w/no heat and I swear it's like I have a new head of hair. No splits, no broken pieces when I stroke it, it's strong, supple and has wonderful lustre. I can't wait until I can cut off about 7" of the old stuff that was heat exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have to agree with my statement. My hair is not perfect because I still have a large portion of heat exposed hair, but from the 2 months that I have been airdrying the look and feel of my hair is remarkable. It is soft, soft, soft and just has a lustre.

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS CERTAINLY THE ENDS. They are always smooth before it was frizz city and felt so rough.

Again, no heat is the best thing that has happened to my hair and I cannot wait to see what my hair is like in 6months to a year.

I will try this challenge for a month first... I need to see if I can do this. I want to improve my hair anyway i can

Back