Nigerian ladies with extremely long hair!

calliope

Hi ladies,
I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any Nigerian or West African ladies with really, really long hair. Having parents from Nigeria, I have always had very dry, difficult to deal with hair, that takes whole lot of effort to sustain any growth - I guess the Lord just wanted to give us a break with that unmerciful African sun! Anyway, when I was in high school I met a pair of sisters whose parents were also from Nigeria, but the difference is that they both had mid-back length hair! I was so shocked. I managed to corner them and ask them what they did and they said that they washed once a week, braided their hair in sectioned braids at night, moisturized the parts, and slept with shower caps on that they poked holes in- I guess sort of a rudimentary baggie method. They also said that they had never been to a salon and relaxed their own hair. Sounds simple, right? It never really worked for me - well, I didn't really try it too long (I was too young and too stupid and knew it all ex: curling irons everyday) and I lost touch of the girls when they moved. Basically, my question is does anyone know of any Nigerians or West Africans (the reason I ask is that most of them are serious 4s) with long hair, despite the odds and what are they doing? Sorry this is so long, but there has to be something more than sleeping in a shower cap.

Hmmm, I know a girl who is Ethiopian (I don't know if this counts) with absolutely beautiful, waist length natural hair. Her secret is wearing it natural 99% of the time (hardly ever flat irons it) plus she uses herbal essences conditioner as a leave in and finger combs or twirls parts of her hair around her finger to make it curly. Her hair would stop traffic...that's how beautiful it is.

I could be wrong, but i thought Ethiopian hair was totally different from West African hair. Probably 3c. I've never met any West African people with hair that they could curl around their fingers.

I don't know,

the very few Ethiopian women that I have know (from braiding my hair) have had very silky looking type 2-3 hair and very European looking features - basically, they looked Caucasion, but with a SERIOUS tan. Does anyone else know if they or any other African ladies have any hair secrets?

calliope said:
Hi ladies,
I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any Nigerian or West African ladies with really, really long hair. Having parents from Nigeria, I have always had very dry, difficult to deal with hair, that takes whole lot of effort to sustain any growth - I guess the Lord just wanted to give us a break with that unmerciful African sun! Anyway, when I was in high school I met a pair of sisters whose parents were also from Nigeria, but the difference is that they both had mid-back length hair! I was so shocked. I managed to corner them and ask them what they did and they said that they washed once a week, braided their hair in sectioned braids at night, moisturized the parts, and slept with shower caps on that they poked holes in- I guess sort of a rudimentary baggie method. They also said that they had never been to a salon and relaxed their own hair. Sounds simple, right? It never really worked for me - well, I didn't really try it too long (I was too young and too stupid and knew it all ex: curling irons everyday) and I lost touch of the girls when they moved. Basically, my question is does anyone know of any Nigerians or West Africans (the reason I ask is that most of them are serious 4s) with long hair, despite the odds and what are they doing? Sorry this is so long, but there has to be something more than sleeping in a shower cap.

My 1st reaction was to crack up :D and after that, I decided hey its an honest post, so I'll give my 2cents :) I'm Nigerian, there are a ton of folks of Nigerian/West African background on the forums. Anyone can grow hair, the thing with type 4s is that our hair needs to be moisturized a lot more than others, its amazing what a lot of TLC can do for the hair. Check out SkyDancer's thread regarding a year of LHCF and TLC, I believe she's of Ghanaian background as well. I've a whole bunch of West African friends, Nigerian and otherwise who easily have hair that is at least at arm pit length. Shoot my 1st cousin (Nigerian) easily grew her hair from a bob to arm pit length within a yr and a half, and all it took was TLC, less manipulation and protective styling(washed once a wek, and did roller sets). A relative of mine (Nigerian) her hair is actually past bra strap, really long.

Naijaqueen,

you are soooo blessed! Could I ask for your regimen, Shampoo, moisturizers,etc? Wait until I tell my sisters about Nigerians with armpit length hair! I know that I must sound stupid, but I'm very new to this board and basically just grew up thinking that my heritage is what kept me from the hair that I wanted. Now, I know that I probably I that kept it from myself.

calliope said:
Naijaqueen,

you are soooo blessed! Could I ask for your regimen, Shampoo, moisturizers,etc? Wait until I tell my sisters about Nigerians with armpit length hair! I know that I must sound stupid, but I'm very new to this board and basically just grew up thinking that my heritage is what kept me from the hair that I wanted. Now, I know that I probably I that kept it from myself.

LOL, I'm a newbie on this board, but it has taught me to be less scissors happy and spend more time taking care of my hair. My hair grows, but in college I did it all, weaves, sew in and glue, braids... my hair suffered(hairline and nape), but always grew back, anytime it happened, I'd get it cut, I cut my whole back off in a style 2yrs ago, my hair was pretty short, in Aug, and by Dec, it had grown into a bob very easily. When I think back to how quickly my hair grew even when I wasnt taking care of it, I know this time around, it'll be wonderful.

I think folks have the notion that nappy women shouldnt have healthy, long hair which isnt the case. I remember when my older cousin grew hers out, I was one of those who thought she had a weave :D I guess if I had spent time doing what she told me, mybe I'd have been in the same boat.

My regime is pretty simple, right now I'm 6-7 weeks post relaxer, pic in my album is from last week. I do CW 2x a week, I use VO5 conditioner, Shampoo every 1.5-2weeks using Seda Dominican shampoo. I comb my hair while wet, I put my leave in conditioner 1st (using Salerm now), put my MTG in on my scalp, put a mixture of coconut oil/raw shea butter on my hair, especially the ends, and then spray a mix of water/surge/s-curl on my hairline/nape and ends. I put it in a ponytail, and then put the Vaseline on the ponytail and put that in a baggie, I also put a baggie over my whole hair since my hair in front, and in kitchen are short, so they get moisturized as well.

In the morning, I can then put it in a bun easily, or pin it up, or use steam rollers and wear it down (maybe 1x a week). I only really comb my hair when wet, and when I wear it down or if the ends are exposed, I have my little bottle mix of water/surge/s-curl that I carry in my purse, and spray the ends during the day so it never dries up :D So far so good, I've no split ends, I have a LONG way to go obviously, but this board is truly a life saver.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply NaijaQueen,
but I'm a little confused, a lot of women on the board say that they use S-curl - isn't that just for jheri curls? That's what I used when I rocked one in sixth grade- so hot. So it's cool to use on relaxed hair too?

calliope said:
but I'm a little confused, a lot of women on the board say that they use S-curl - isn't that just for jheri curls? That's what I used when I rocked one in sixth grade- so hot. So it's cool to use on relaxed hair too?

haha, yeah it tames my nw growth and moisturizes my ends. Remember when u rocked a jheri curl, it was the juice needed to keep the style intact...think of it the same way :D

I also take Biotin and L-cysteine

Naijaqueen said:
My 1st reaction was to crack up :D and after that, I decided hey its an honest post, so I'll give my 2cents :) I'm Nigerian, there are a ton of folks of Nigerian/West African background on the forums. Anyone can grow hair, the thing with type 4s is that our hair needs to be moisturized a lot more than others, its amazing what a lot of TLC can do for the hair. Check out SkyDancer's thread regarding a year of LHCF and TLC, I believe she's of Ghanaian background as well. I've a whole bunch of West African friends, Nigerian and otherwise who easily have hair that is at least at arm pit length. Shoot my 1st cousin (Nigerian) easily grew her hair from a bob to arm pit length within a yr and a half, and all it took was TLC, less manipulation and protective styling(washed once a wek, and did roller sets). A relative of mine (Nigerian) her hair is actually past bra strap, really long.
Amen to that. As long as you get on yourself about moisturizing, it will grow -- and how!

Honey Vibe said:
Amen to that. As long as you get on yourself about moisturizing, it will grow -- and how!

i know i should be moisturizing more because my 4b natural hair gets very dry. thats probably why i have yet to see any changes in length.

calliope said:
Hi ladies,

Hey, I'm nigerian with almost bsl hair. I also know plenty of fellow west africans with long hair. Anyone can have long hair, it's just about finding what is right for you and your hair.

Crazy Coil

length-back-4may2005.jpg

Just adding in...a good friend of mine is Nigerian and her hair is very long when stretched. I think she's at least at bra strap length (BSL) possibly a little longer. She has what she calls "very resistant, type 4b hair." But she pampers it and its grown beautifully.

Control Freak, your hair is my dream!!!,

Great album, can I ask if you use any moisturizers/oils other than S-curl? I just woke up, but I'm about to head out to Sally's to get me some - it seems like it's some kind of miracle product!

Alot of the women in my family have atleast armpit length hair and if they dont its because they choose to wear it short. My grandma had waistlength hair as a little girl and through out her life till she chopped it to bra strap in college....i asked her what she did, and she said nothing really...she would wear it out everyday but braid it up into a single braid once a night...We are from Liberia, well 3 generations ago is when my family emigrated from the US to LIB....so i think it still counts :)

My sister and I are originally from West Africa, specifically Benin which is right next door to Nigeria. My sister had long hair for most of her life with little or no effort but does not desire it anymore so she maintains it at about shoulder length now. I have had medium to long hair most of my life but it's been a learning process for me to keep it. The things that have helped me out most are using curl activator as a daily moisturizer, using good moisturizing conditioners like Kenra and Herbal Essences, and not relaxing every 6-8 weeks. West African women can certainly grow long hair!

Last edited:
calliope said:

No, it's a misconception. I use the product on my natural hair once I learned that other naturals were doing the same thing. It moisturizes my curls and keeps them set for the day. In the past they would just frizz up.

DahomeyAhosi said:
My sister and I are originally from West Africa, specifically Benin which is right next door to Nigeria. My sister had long hair for most of her life with little or no effort but does not desire it anymore so she maintains it at about shoulder length now. I have had medium to long hair most of my life but it's been a learning process for me to keep it. The things that have helped me out most are using curl activator as a daily moisturizer, using good moisturizing conditioners like Kenra and Herbal Essences, and not relaxing every 6-8 weeks. West African women can certainly grow long hair!

Beautiful hair.

This is a great thread. I dont think that the question applies to only Nigerians. I think that what it is getting at it whether a full-blooded black woman (no offense intended to people who are mixed like Ethiopians or those with white/Indian blood) can grow long hair. I have a question for you. How have braids affected your hair? Have they helped it to grow or not? I am thinking of putting braids in my hair and would love to hear what your responses are because I also have type 4b hair. I've been able to get it to grow a few inches past my shoulders and hoping to use braids to give it a rest and let it grow to brastrap.

calliope said:
Control Freak, your hair is my dream!!!,

Great album, can I ask if you use any moisturizers/oils other than S-curl? I just woke up, but I'm about to head out to Sally's to get me some - it seems like it's some kind of miracle product!

Thanks hun :-)

Those pics are quite old (3 months +......i need 2 update my album!) and my regime has totally changed since then.

I no longer use s-curl. It made my hair very sticky and caused my hair to mesh together.

My main products are olive oil on wet hair only, tigi ego boost, smooth n shine serum, redken moist ends and fantasia ic hair polisher mist. As for conditoners, i use pretty much anything for dry hair - keracare humecto, tressemme, dove.......I don't own any shampoos :-)

tryn2growmyhair said:
This is a great thread. I dont think that the question applies to only Nigerians. I think that what it is getting at it whether a full-blooded black woman (no offense intended to people who are mixed like Ethiopians or those with white/Indian blood) can grow long hair. I have a question for you. How have braids affected your hair? Have they helped it to grow or not? I am thinking of putting braids in my hair and would love to hear what your responses are because I also have type 4b hair. I've been able to get it to grow a few inches past my shoulders and hoping to use braids to give it a rest and let it grow to brastrap.

LONG TIME! where have u been of late? :-)

You are right, the question applies to all non-mixed black. Essentially they are no different to Africans genetically.

Is your hair natural or relaxed?

tryn2growmyhair said:

I definately have 4b hair and braids have always been good to me. They helped me get to BSL a couple of years ago but I woke up one morning wanting to transition and did the BC during the summer of 2002. I have since changed my mind about transitioning. Im currently wearing braids and Im just making sure I take care of my hair while its in the braids.

controlFreak said:
LONG TIME! where have u been of late? :-)
Hi, I thought the same about you when I saw your post. :) I am happy to see you posting. I have been busy with the non-Internet world but I am trying to persist with my hair care regimen.

controlFreak said:
You are right, the question applies to all non-mixed black. Essentially they are no different to Africans genetically.

Is your hair natural or relaxed?
My hair is relaxed. Up until I was about 8 years old I had my hair in braids (non-extension). My hair would be braided up each week. Then I got a relaxer. After the first relaxer my hair was shoulder length and kept breaking and breaking until it was chin length. It is now the longest it has ever been but I want it to get to BSL. Waist-length would be great, but let's get to BSL (hopefully) and we'll see. :D

Lkaysgirl said:
I definately have 4b hair and braids have always been good to me. They helped me get to BSL a couple of years ago but I woke up one morning wanting to transition and did the BC during the summer of 2002. I have since changed my mind about transitioning. Im currently wearing braids and Im just making sure I take care of my hair while its in the braids.
Thanks so much for the tip. Could you please share your braid regimen? I have heard of many people saying braids harmed their hair, so I am trying to learn from people who had success with them.

Country gal said:
Beautiful hair.

Thanks Countrygal.

I must say that many people born in West Africa are also "mixed" but the mixing is by no means as widespread as it is in East Africa. The mixture is due to the Arab invasion which brought not only islam but also new bloodlines. Peuls (Fulanis) and Tauregs are two groups with substantial Arab blood.

DahomeyAhosi said:
Thanks Countrygal.

I must say that many people born in West Africa are also "mixed" but the mixing is by no means as widespread as it is in East Africa. The mixture is due to the Arab invasion which brought not only islam but also new bloodlines. Peuls (Fulanis) and Tauregs are two groups with substantial Arab blood.

well said, Fulani is scattered all over West Africa, nomadic group, they have Arabic features that are clearly unique.

Naijaqueen said:
well said, Fulani is scattered all over West Africa, nomadic group, they have Arabic features that are clearly unique.
Agreed, most people who know Africa know that groups like the Hausa/Fulani are not what we are referring to in this thread. Most of them are part Arab and therefore, at least part of their blood is not indigenous to West Africa.

I'm also Nigerian, but born and raised in Texas. My family is Igbo, and while none of the women in my family have LONG hair, my hair in particular grows very quickly. Unfortunately, I never learned how to properly take care of it (curling irons every day, using bad combs and brushes, washing it every two weeks--jeez, wth was I thinking???) and I'm suffering the consequences now!

The only thing I can say is that our hair is very dry (I think we're mostly b types which retains less moisture than a types) and that can take it's toll, leading to breakage and hair that "doesn't grow".

Back