Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

i am definetly in!! it's good to have support from people that are on the long hair journey .. i just joined Feb 4 2008 ( my bday) lol .. so count me in ! i hope to be APL by June 08 .. right now im shoulder lenght about 2-3 inches from APL ..my pics are from Aug 07- Jan 08

What did you use?

I use the OJON products at least once a week. :notworthy I have been using them since November and they have changed the texture of my hair. Added back SO much moisture. I think the Restorative Treatment is the key. I pre-poo with that and bun and leave overnight at least once a week before I rollerset. I do have to do my disclaimer, it costs a grip. :ohwell: I think it's $40-50 for the sample kit I mentioned above and I personally have the 5.5 oz jar of the Restorative Treatment and it was $55.

Anyway, I use the Restorative Treatment, Ultra hydrating shampoo & conditioner, Hydrating styling cream and Revitalizing mist. They come in a sample pack you can get at ULTA (all except for the styling cream - which I love so I bought seperately) and I also use the glossing mist.

Leona- you look like you are past APL to me and inching towards BSL.:grin:

Also, I tried to leave you a comment in your FOTKI on this and I wasn't able to.

Last edited:
SO I LUV WHAT WE HAVE GOING SO MUCH I THINK WE SHOULD MAKE THIS A YEAR LONG CHALLENGE BEING THAT YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT TO YOUR HAIR FROM WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED (AS LONG AS ITS HEALTHY) SO WHY NOT....

WE WILL CELEBRATE EACH TIME SOMEONE REACHES THEIR HAIR GOAL AND THEN ON TO THE NEXT.

WE WILL STILL POST PICS MONTHLY AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DONT MIND CAN POST AFTER EACH WASH....

EVERYONE HAS BEEN GREAT AND IM LOVING ALL OF YOU GUYS AND HOW HELPED WE ARE WITH EACH OTHER

I THINK I MAY HAVE TO BE A LITTLE MORE TUFF WITH THIS BC NOT EVERYONE WHO SAID THEY WERE IN POST PICS AND ITS FEB. 7 ....:nono:

SO WITH ALL THAT SAID AND DONE THESE ARE THE LADIES THAT ARE FOLLOWING WITH THIS CHALLENGE AND ARE POSTING, KEEPING US GOING AND HAVE THEIR PICS POSTED.....

PR3TTY
LAPACIENCIA
AKIMAT001
BEAUTIFULREALITY
HOTRIBENA
BEAUTIFULLYBLACK
MRSMERCERY
CUTENAPPYGRL
MRS. GOOCH
NATURALLONG81
RAYEJ
CLMACKY
CINDLY
FIYA'SLOVECHILD
IVY BUTTER
BLISS806
GALADRIEL
FINDINGME
LUXURIOUS12
LEONA2025
MRS WATSON
TRINAE
MZ VEDA
DRJO91
LATINGIRLY020488

WE CAN DO IT LADIES.....:yep:

Last edited:
I use the OJON products at least once a week. :notworthy I have been using them since November and they have changed the texture of my hair. Added back SO much moisture. I think the Restorative Treatment is the key. I pre-poo with that and bun and leave overnight at least once a week before I rollerset. I do have to do my disclaimer, it costs a grip. :ohwell: I think it's $40-50 for the sample kit I mentioned above and I personally have the 5.5 oz jar of the Restorative Treatment and it was $55.

Anyway, I use the Restorative Treatment, Ultra hydrating shampoo & conditioner, Hydrating styling cream and Revitalizing mist. They come in a sample pack you can get at ULTA (all except for the styling cream - which I love so I bought seperately) and I also use the glossing mist.

I will have to check those out bc I cant stop looking at ur hair

i am definetly in!! it's good to have support from people that are on the long hair journey .. i just joined Feb 4 2008 ( my bday) lol .. so count me in ! i hope to be APL by June 08 .. right now im shoulder lenght about 2-3 inches from APL ..my pics are from Aug 07- Jan 08

you've had some good growth. I'm planning on APL by then too. WE can do it!!! :grin::grin:

Sorry I didn't post my before pic, it's in my fotki album along with my protective styles and my regimen. I would love everyone to check it out.
Thanks.

Welcome Cherry Blossom ... If u dont mind can you post a pic in this challenge I know its in ur fotki but just so the ladies wont have to go there to always see ur b4 pic

SO I LUV WHAT WE HAVE GOING SO MUCH I THINK WE SHOULD MAKE THIS A YEAR LONG CHALLENGE BEING THAT YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT TO YOUR HAIR FROM WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED (AS LONG AS ITS HEALTHY) SO WHY NOT....

WE WILL CELEBRATE EACH TIME SOMEONE REACHES THEIR HAIR GOAL AND THEN ON TO THE NEXT.

WE WILL STILL POST PICS MONTHLY AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DONT MIND CAN POST AFTER EACH WASH....

EVERYONE HAS BEEN GREAT AND IM LOVING ALL OF YOU GUYS AND HOW HELPED WE ARE WITH EACH OTHER

I THINK I MAY HAVE TO BE A LITTLE MORE TUFF WITH THIS BC NOT EVERYONE WHO SAID THEY WERE IN POST PICS AND ITS FEB. 7 ....:nono:

SO WITH ALL THAT SAID AND DONE THESE ARE THE LADIES THAT ARE FOLLOWING WITH THIS CHALLENGE AND ARE POSTING, KEEPING US GOING AND HAVE THEIR PICS POSTED.....

PR3TTY
LAPACIENCIA
AKIMAT001
BEAUTIFULREALITY
HOTRIBENA
BEAUTIFULLYBLACK
MRSMERCERY
CUTENAPPYGRL
MRS. GOOCH
NATURALLONG81
RAYEJ
CLMACKY
CINDLY
FIYA'SLOVECHILD
BLISS806
GALADRIEL
FINDINGME
LUXURIOUS12
LEONA2025
MRS WATSON
TRINAE
MZ VEDA
DRJO91

WE CAN DO IT LADIES.....:yep:

YEAH! I am SO on it! I am going to start posting length pics since I feel like I am finally getting a healthy routine that works for me and I will try to post a true length pic this weekend to see length results more clearly. I am LOVING THIS NEWBIE CHALLENGE!!!

THANKS for starting this pr3tty!! :yep: I truly feel a member of the board now that I am a member of a challenge and will get to know more ladies a little more closely now.

I have a suggestion, were you planning on starting a new thread for each month of the challenge? (ie, "NEWBIE CHALLENGE - MARCH 08" or something like that?) We are already up to 20 pages of posts on this thread and we haven't gotten through one month yet!! :lachen:That way, the ladies you have above can sign on and post goals (and then later) results for that month, answer the question of the month and share celebrations and trials. What do you think? Did I say thank you for starting this challenge?:grin:

Happy belated Birthday!!!!:yay::birthday3:

YEAH! I am SO on it! I am going to start posting length pics since I feel like I am finally getting a healthy routine that works for me and I will try to post a true length pic this weekend to see length results more clearly. I am LOVING THIS NEWBIE CHALLENGE!!!

THANKS for starting this pr3tty!! :yep: I truly feel a member of the board now that I am a member of a challenge and will get to know more ladies a little more closely now.

I have a suggestion, were you planning on starting a new thread for each month of the challenge? (ie, "NEWBIE CHALLENGE - MARCH 08" or something like that?) We are already up to 20 pages of posts on this thread and we haven't gotten through one month yet!! :lachen:That way, the ladies you have above can sign on and post goals (and then later) results for that month, answer the question of the month and share celebrations and trials. What do you think? Did I say thank you for starting this challenge?:grin:

Your welcome and thanx for being here... like you I also feel like I belong now thanx 2 this challenge...

Also do they limit how long this thread can go???
I didnt really understand what u meant? The only reason I would keep this one is bc I see a lot of threads where they start and then ppl 4get about them but plz explain cause u may know something I dont as we r learning from each other... Thanx

Most recently I was interested in trying a henna. I did it last week and it added considerable thickness to my hair. I was also afraid of the mess, but I planned it out well and proceeded nice and slowly - no mess at all. My next goal will be an attempt to use all natural products. I've still got lots of research to do before I start buying everything that everyone else "raves" about (curbing the PJism also helps me stick to my regimen). :rolleyes:

I tried a henna treatment this weekend with a bag (Karishma, Henna, Shikaikai, Amla mix) from the stash that had a hole in it so I decided to use it since it was leaking all over the place. I made a mess but it was fun in a weird way:spinning:! Next time I will try what you did and slow it down a bit! I have a very slight change in color but my main desired outcome was strength. So far I think it has helped. I also found the henna threads and Isis' (and others) Fotki about henna to be quite helpful to curb my apprehension!

Your welcome and thanx for being here... like you I also feel like I belong now thanx 2 this challenge...

Also do they limit how long this thread can go???
I didnt really understand what u meant? The only reason I would keep this one is bc I see a lot of threads where they start and then ppl 4get about them but plz explain cause u may know something I dont as we r learning from each other... Thanx

Girl, now you KNOW I don't know about thread limits and the like! :lachen:I don't know, girl, seriously, I don't know anything about how stuff is done on here. LOL!:spinning: If we just keep one long thread going, that's fine with me and I guess you are right, what happens to the thread once we move to the next one?...:look: Girl, I just joined last month, so I have NO idea about how to do this. You are the originator, you just tell me what to do and I'll do it. I'm so excited about this challenge!! I can't wait to see what we accomplish at the end of the year!!

Girl, now you KNOW I don't know about thread limits and the like! :lachen:I don't know, girl, seriously, I don't know anything about how stuff is done on here. LOL!:spinning: If we just keep one long thread going, that's fine with me and I guess you are right, what happens to the thread once we move to the next one?...:look: Girl, I just joined last month, so I have NO idea about how to do this. You are the originator, you just tell me what to do and I'll do it. I'm so excited about this challenge!! I can't wait to see what we accomplish at the end of the year!!

Lol You had me laughing so hard reading this:lachen:... I guess we'll keep this one just so we dont 4get about it or until they stop us:spinning:..... and I cant wait to see ur new pics when u post....

Okay!!! Finding me your Fotki Rocks!!! You've got the roller set/blowout skillz!!!:notworthy

THANKS! I do like roller sets, though I have to admit I have been doing them for 20 years, since I was in high school. No joke!! When I came to this forum and everyone was like "roller set- this" and "roller set-that," I felt so at home!!!:yep: I was like I gotta join these ladies!!! :grin:

THANKS! I do like roller sets, though I have to admit I have been doing them for 20 years, since I was in high school. No joke!! When I came to this forum and everyone was like "roller set- this" and "roller set-that," I felt so at home!!!:yep: I was like I gotta join these ladies!!! :grin:
I absolutely love when i get a roller set done. it makes your hair so full and much body. I have done a few to my own head, but my parts be slightly off,lol

I absolutely love when i get a roller set done. it makes your hair so full and much body. I have done a few to my own head, but my parts be slightly off,lol

ITA!!! :yep: The parts in my hair used to get me, too, but now that I have joined this forum and found out about root blow outs, I can blow out most of that hard separation. I never thought to blow out my roots before I joined this forum, now it's like I can't imagine not doing it...

Girl, I love your color!!! :lick:

I changed the setting on my Fotki so comments can be left. I love this camaraderie we have going here. This is the first time I ever decided to commit to taking care of my hair and it will be so much more fun with others to help you through. I want to try henna to thicken my hair, but I'm scared. When my hair was healthy it was really thick, but I broke so much of it out trying to detangle and blow it straight. I'm going to the salon this week end to get a flexi rod or roller set. I'll post pics, but I'm wondering with the length of my hair how long my curls for the flexi rods would be.

I changed the setting on my Fotki so comments can be left. I love this camaraderie we have going here. This is the first time I ever decided to commit to taking care of my hair and it will be so much more fun with others to help you through. I want to try henna to thicken my hair, but I'm scared. When my hair was healthy it was really thick, but I broke so much of it out trying to detangle and blow it straight. I'm going to the salon this week end to get a flexi rod or roller set. I'll post pics, but I'm wondering with the length of my hair how long my curls for the flexi rods would be.

A roller or rod set sounds like a good idea. You have great length, what is your regimen/products etc.?

Well I'm really shame to say this, but up until 2 weeks ago I didn't do anything to my hair but relax it every few months. No conditioner or anything and just used whatever shampoo or extras that came with the relaxer. This is my regiment now. I have to keep it simple or I won't follow it, lol. Today I discovered dc on dry hair. So that's a new weapon going into my hair arsenal, but none of these things contributed to my current hair length.

1. Wash once a week on Sunday with Motions Lavish Conditoning Shampoo. Detangle in the shower with wide tooth comb. Deep condition with Elasta QP DPR-11. Air dry in a wrapped ponytail or bun with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel.
2. Wednesday deep condition with Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner. Detangle in the shower with wide tooth comb. Air dry in a wrapped ponytail or bun with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel.

I'm really loving Smooth N Shine Silk Fusion 60 sec Reconstructor. It made my hair really silky and I'm going to buy two more jars of the mango butter tomorrow.

Daily Care: Spritz with Leave in conditioner twice a day. Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter twice a day. Put in ponytail or bun. I think even these few things will really help my hair be strong and healthy and grow. In the past I have never conditioned my hair and I have never used any moisturizer regularly.

ITA!!! :yep: The parts in my hair used to get me, too, but now that I have joined this forum and found out about root blow outs, I can blow out most of that hard separation. I never thought to blow out my roots before I joined this forum, now it's like I can't imagine not doing it...

Girl, I love your color!!! :lick:

lol, i think i need to practice more. And thanks. until i joined here, i was really thinking about putting black over it. But now i'm wearing my color proud:grin::grin::yep::yep:

Can I join too!! I will post pics as soon as I can. Don't quite have regimen yet just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!!

Well I'm really shame to say this, but up until 2 weeks ago I didn't do anything to my hair but relax it every few months. No conditioner or anything and just used whatever shampoo or extras that came with the relaxer. This is my regiment now. I have to keep it simple or I won't follow it, lol. Today I discovered dc on dry hair. So that's a new weapon going into my hair arsenal, but none of these things contributed to my current hair length.

1. Wash once a week on Sunday with Motions Lavish Conditoning Shampoo. Detangle in the shower with wide tooth comb. Deep condition with Elasta QP DPR-11. Air dry in a wrapped ponytail or bun with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel.
2. Wednesday deep condition with Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner. Detangle in the shower with wide tooth comb. Air dry in a wrapped ponytail or bun with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel.

I'm really loving Smooth N Shine Silk Fusion 60 sec Reconstructor. It made my hair really silky and I'm going to buy two more jars of the mango butter tomorrow.

Daily Care: Spritz with Leave in conditioner twice a day. Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter twice a day. Put in ponytail or bun. I think even these few things will really help my hair be strong and healthy and grow. In the past I have never conditioned my hair and I have never used any moisturizer regularly.

You're right keeping it simple is a good thing(I'm still taking notes)! I like the bun your sister did in your Fotki! Happy continued hair growing!!!

Back